Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Certainly, that entire river area has a long way to go.... It's been pretty much a dump for the last several decades.

Here's the long-range plan for the area:

Most of that will not happen and has been changed. A little thing called Core to Shore happened.

Core to Shore is a very small percentage of this overall concept, and from what they've shown even that part isn't a significant change, just more refinement.

Besides, that's all just concept as well at this point -- at least in terms of the riverfront.

Pete,

Where did you find that plan? It is quite ambitious I must say.
    Who is doing all of this planning? Lot's of questions but I would really like to see this plan come to fruition. I just love the idea of the river becoming a gathering place for the city especially if it is cleaned up and looks like this plan.

There was an article in the DOK about Boathouse Row:

Wed March 19, 2008
    OU boathouse part of bigger vision along Oklahoma RiverRelated Information

College rowing teams that will soon make waves on the Oklahoma River are a big part of Oklahoma City's effort to become a one-of-a-kind rowing destination.

The University of Oklahoma on Tuesday became the third state school to formalize an agreement with Oklahoma City to build a boathouse on the river for its rowing team.

It's a move that will bring Division I collegiate rowing to the river and positions the city to be on par with places such as Boston, Philadelphia and Washington that have long enjoyed rowing as part of the fabric of urban life.

"There are a lot of places that have boathouses. We would be very unique in that we'd have three major university boathouses right in a row,” said Mike Knopp, executive director of the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation, which is helping plan boathouse development along the river.

Plans for the OU boathouse have been known for some time. The agreement approved Tuesday by the Oklahoma City Council provides the framework for how the university's boathouse will fit in to what the city is calling a "boathouse row.”

OU's agreement is similar to those already reached with Oklahoma City University and the University of Central Oklahoma.

A fourth boathouse could possibly be occupied by another university, Knopp said. An event center is also planned.

Like the other college boathouses, OU's boathouse will have storage for its team's boat shells, a high-performance training center, event space and other amenities. The new Sooner rowing team begins practice next year.

Knopp said there isn't a definitive construction timeframe for the boathouses, but that some if not all of them should be finished by 2010.

OU President David Boren announced last month that the university's boathouse will be called the Aubrey McClendon OU Boathouse thanks to a $2 million donation the Chesapeake Energy chairman and chief executive officer made to the university.

McClendon made the donation through the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation, of which he also is chairman.

OU spokeswoman Catherine Bishop said the university doesn't have an estimate on the final construction cost of the boathouse.

The Chesapeake Boathouse will remain the anchor of boathouse row and the other boathouses will feature similar designs, Knopp said.

Local architecture firm Elliott and Associates, which designed the Chesapeake Boathouse, will design the universities' boathouses.

Knopp said the boathouses will make the river a sports venue just as prominent as the Ford Center or Bricktown Ballpark.

"We really think that by putting together this vision and putting these boathouses in place and creating this environment down there that it really will be one-of-a-kind and it really will be world-class,” Knopp said.

In fact, the river is already attracting world-class attention. Among the events on the river later this year are kayak trials for the 2008 Olymics in Beijing.

Most of that will not happen and has been changed. A little thing called Core to Shore happened.
    Well, nothing has happened yet, but I don't see how that concept conflicts with core to shore. It's much more comprehensive for sure, but very little of that plan of seems to overlap with the planned C2S district.

Oklahoma City University head rowing coach Mike Knopp speaks during a christening event Tuesday along the Oklahoma River. (Photo by Jennifer Pitts)

Devon, OCU christen boathouse site as other colleges plan theirs
    Journal Record
    May 7, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Devon Energy Corp. and Oklahoma City University plan to row, row, row their boats gently down the Oklahoma River from a boathouse set for completion next year.

Devon and OCU christened the future site of the boathouse with champagne Tuesday, marking a $5 million donation by Devon to complete the funding for the $10 million boathouse. The site is just east of the Chesapeake Boathouse at Regatta Park on the north shore of the Oklahoma River. Plans are also in the works to eventually build additional boathouses for the University of Oklahoma and the University of Central Oklahoma rowing teams.

Early plans show a two-level triangle-shaped OCU boathouse designed by Rand Elliott. Tom McDaniel, president of OCU, said the school has a relationship with Devon in the form of scholarships the company sponsors.That made Devon the obvious choice for a partner to build the boathouse.“When it became apparent that the river was going to be such a big part of the future of Oklahoma City, and our rowing program grew from one student to 75, we knew we needed our own boathouse,” McDaniel said. “We went to a partner that had been good to us in the past.” The final commitment from Devon was finalized recently after months of talks, McDaniel said.

OCU began its rowing program in 2000 under Mike Knopp. The team became the first varsity crew program in the state in 2004. Since then the team has racked up awards from competitions around the country.“What we’re trying to do is create one of the world’s premier urban aquatic venues,” Knopp said. “This boathouse will send a message around the world that will demonstrate our commitment for the future and solidify our place as one of the world’s best rowing venues.”

Ray Ackerman, co-founder of the advertising firm Ackerman McQueen Inc. and a longtime advocate of making the river a viable resource, said the layout for rowing was done quite by accident.Ackerman said when the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers made a flood control ditch in the 1950s, they created a straightened portion of the river, making it ideal for competitive rowing.

For years, however, the river was simply an overgrown grassy ditch. But Ackerman never gave up on its potential.“I’m a river man,” Ackerman said. “I grew up with three rivers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and what I learned was we could have water in this river.”Larry Nichols, chairman and CEO of Devon, applauded city leaders and mayors over the last decades, the MAPS project, and subsequent private investment that among other projects put water back in the river.

Looking at two Devon river cruisers and OCU rowers on the river, Nichols joked that a few years ago if someone proposed a boathouse or river cruisers in Oklahoma City many would likely scratch their heads and ask, “What river are you going to build these on?” “The momentum in Oklahoma City is just palpable,” Nichols said. “It has been a great honor for Devon to join in another public private-type partnership with Oklahoma City University to create this boathouse.”

OCU has a lease from the River Trust on the property. McDaniel said the goal is to have the boathouse completed by fall 2009.“That will be an ambitious schedule,” he said. In the meantime the university will continue to use the neighboring Chesapeake Boathouse. Knopp said he has repeatedly heard comments from rowers from around the world on the quality of the river. Last month the river hosted the U.S. canoe and kayak Olympic trials.“I think we’ve barely scratched the surface of the potential for Oklahoma City and the river,” Knopp said.

The Journal Record - Article

7. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Wow, that is going to be really impressive! It was so exciting last year when we went to the Rowing events.

One thing I've always wanted was more shade trees along the river ... for shade and to soften the concrete look.

I hope they implement a very aggressive tree planting project now so trees have time to grow.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

master plan will take what????? 30 years?

I think this is really exciting and I can not wait for the OU Boathouse to be built. I think our boat house row will be a big help get rid of out dust bowl image. Its going to really add to our downtown.

OU boathouse is still in early planning phases as it awaits fundraising, and Mike Mays, a licensed architect iwth Elliott + Associates will be project manager. OCU's is in high gear now, with early design accepted and funding in place. Brian Fitzsimmons, also a licensed architect will be project manager, working with Rand Elliott, as he did with Cheasapeak's boathouse. I don't know which other university is planning a boathouse, but there's also suppposed to be winery that, if what I've heard is correct, be under the purview of Elliott + Associates.

OU has already received million dollar pledges from Aubrey McClendon and Clay Bennett and hired a rowing coach some time ago. The sport is already an official part of the athletic department.

I don't think it will be much longer before they break ground as well.

UCO also has a big donation but I'm not sure where they stand.

This is all going to happen in the next 2-3 years.

12. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Well i'm excited for the addition to the river. Let's hope all projects go this smoothly.

I would like to see some variation in the architecture on Boathouse Row. As much as I like Rand Elliott's design of the CHK boathouse, I think some variety and a departure from his modern tastes would really add some great diversity to the area. Hopefully OCU's is a little different and more traditional.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Chesapeake, McClendons give a combined $15 million to OU
    By Murray Evans
    Associated Press Writer

"The remaining $12.5 million will be a personal gift to the university from McClendon and his wife, Kathleen McClendon.

That gift will benefit the university's Honors College and debate program. It also will fund two major athletic projects, the construction of a boathouse along the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City and a new housing facility for university athletes on the Norman campus."

Chesapeake, McClendons give a combined $15 million to OU | NewsOK.com

I like that they all look similar. I think that it all flows. imo, I think it might look tacky if you have various designs.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ouguy23 View Post
    I like that they all look similar. I think that it all flows. imo, I think it might look tacky if you have various designs.

I agree. I really like the look of the whole area in the master plan. The boathouses together create a very unique synergy.

17. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

...how 'bout those side walks eh?

drove by the other day and there is a ton of dirt work going on.... anybody have any news?

Shoreline modifications, channelization and such. According to a presentation put on at my Rotary club a month or so ago, Rand Elliot will be the architect for OU's boathouse, UCO's and eventually OSU's.

There will be an arena, a starting/finish line house, lighting for televised events, Jazz studio's, and a whole host of other amenities. My company has already been down there connecting charger equipment for the river cruise boats, and look forward to doing much more in the area.

Should be awesome when complete!

wow, i really can't wait, it will be the best rowing destination in the world!

There are even talks about whitewater rapids down past Meridian! Kayaks already show up down here after large rains when the river surges. With a little foresight, it could be really cool! (my shops are down on the river near meridian.)

22. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

I wish it were easier to break into...e.g.- I have no idea how to just go take a lesson...

Actually- do just that.
    Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org
    has info on taking classes (don't have to be a member) and becoming a member, which gives you access to the facility and classes.
    Weather's warming up-why not?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    I wish it were easier to break into...e.g.- I have no idea how to just go take a lesson...
    I have a friend that works at the boathouse.

Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org

If you sign up, use Mary Jo Hope as a referral because they are having a contest to see who can get the most people to sign up. If you talk to her personally, tell her Gary sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Guy View Post
    ... the remaining 3 boathouses are scheduled to be completed by end of 2012.
    I have a particular interest in the OU boathouse. Please tell me that it will be complete before 2012.

Thread Information