Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Nic's Grill

Default Re: Nic's Grill

I've never been able to check this place out. Realistically, what's the best day and time to go to not have to wait forever in a line? (without having to eat a burger before 11a.m.)

2. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    I've never been able to check this place out. Realistically, what's the best day and time to go to not have to wait forever in a line? (without having to eat a burger before 11a.m.)
    Beginning of the week on a bad weather day. That's usually when we go.

3. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Like Brian said... Bad weather days are the best.

There also seems to be some windows on the 15's.... 11:45, 12:15, 12:45.... Not sure why it happens but I see the line disappear around those times and then 15 minutes later it's wrapped back around the building.

4. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Probably a combination of ordering/prep/consumption taking roughly 45 minutes on average there (speculation), added to the fact that most people go to lunch at the top and botton of the hour. Ergo..."meet me there at noon" or "meet me there at 11:30" rather than "meet me there at 11:45."

I usually go late and like Brian said on a bad weather day. I would make back up plans, just in case. I have found after 1pm is a good time to go. If you get there at 1:30 and the line is still around the corner, go somewhere else. If it is to the edge of building, you are probably good. Does Nic turn people away at a certain time? I feel like someone would come out and say the person at the end of the line is last person they are going to serve, or something like that.

*Finally* got to Nic's yesterday.

I went at 10:10 and got the last seat. By the time I sat down at one of the little side tables, there was already a line forming outside.

This place is even tinier than I thought. And although I was greeted right away and asked if I wanted a burger so Nic could slap it on the grill, they never asked me what I wanted to drink and in the chaos of the place I never did get a beverage. Since I was not at the bar, there was really no way to let them know as the place was completely packed.

Nic did ask me what I wanted on my burger and then it was served with fries even though I didn't ask for them. In the end, I was charged for a full combo even though I never even got water and I really didn't want the fries. And I basically had to force my way to the bar to let them know I needed to pay.

But, the burger was spectacular, of course. I opted for the jalapenos and it was one very large pepper cut into thirds and grilled. The pepper was hot and in big chunks. Very, very good.

The best thing about the meal other than the perfectly done and seasoned patty was the grilled onions. Perfectly caramelized and sweet.

Besides the bizarre service, the bun just couldn't hold up to the juicy meat and all the toppings. I had to eat the whole thing with a fork and since they put a paper towel at the bottom of the basket, even that was hard to do without getting paper in every forkful.

It was not only packed and cramped with people standing up and jammed in there, the TV was blaring the Price is Right and two guys on the opposite end of the bar were basically shouting at eat other -- with Nic in the middle -- in a Westrbook v. Durant debate. I actually thought the debate was kind of cool but everything combined was a bit too much.

It was a great burger but it was so loud, chaotic and claustrophobic that I won't be anxious to return and if I do, it will be near their 2PM closing time.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear about that Pete. I can say of the dozen or so times I've been there, I've never had an experience that remotely matched yours. It seems like it was clearly an off day. Next time your in town you really should give it another shot.

I do agree that the paper towel at the bottom of the basket probably needs to be turned into wax paper for the times when the bun doesn't quite handle the burger (which is probably 70% of the time for me) and you have to use a knife on it.

Also, you can get the burger to go if the environment is more packed then you like. Friday is probably the busiest day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Dang, I'm sorry to hear about that Pete. I can say of the dozen or so times I've been there, I've never had an experience that remotely matched yours. It seems like it was clearly an off day. Next time your in town you really should give it another shot.

I do agree that the paper towel at the bottom of the basket probably needs to be turned into wax paper for the times when the bun doesn't quite handle the burger (which is probably 70% of the time for me) and you have to use a knife on it.
    I've been about 5 times and can confirm that you (edit: Pete) had an unusual experience.

Usually Nic and his partner have service down very well. Usually a drink is the first thing they offer me a moment before Nic asks for your burger order.

10. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Yep.... Definitely not typical on the drink. They usually hit you for your drink as soon as you step in the door.

Not that uncommon to get fries when you didn't ask for them though... I've seen that happen a lot.

11. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Also, you can get the burger to go if the environment is more packed then you like. Friday is probably the busiest day though.
    The only caution regarding togo's; When I used to go more regularly I noticed that Nic would often take the phone off the hook as early as 11am -- limiting phoned in togo orders.

Also, I've eaten there and then brought togo orders back to friends. They always say the same thing.... "Too bad it sat in the sack long enough that the bun is totally soaked."

1. Don't fries come with them whether you order them or not? I can't remember; I always get them.
    2. The drink thing has never happened to me there. Sorry it happened to you; had it been me, I would have muscled my way up there and asked for water.
    3. Good call on the jalapeños. That is the only restaurant where I eat jalapeños on burgers, but they just go so well with that burger.
    4. I always, ALWAYS, eat mine with a fork.

It is a splendid mess to eat there. And I don't go often, because you have to just about take the rest of the day off after you eat there. Forget having meetings because you smell like an onion. LOVE Nic's. It's really a special and unique place. And I can't wait to try out his diner.

I've never been to Nic's but I do go to the Ice House at the Myriad Gardens. The food is great without the claustrophobic and chatotic atmosphere. This is the same food/menu/owner as the original Nic's... is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    1. Don't fries come with them whether you order them or not? I can't remember; I always get them.
    2. The drink thing has never happened to me there. Sorry it happened to you; had it been me, I would have muscled my way up there and asked for water.
    No, you can order the burger ala carte and being that it was 10:20 in the AM and my stomach was on California time -- and I knew the burger itself would be immense -- I didn't want fries and only ate one to try. Very good, but they got trashed and I had to pay for them.

And 2., easier said than done, especially for a n00b. Nic's partner disappeared for a fair amount of time and I couldn't even stand up from my little side table it was so packed with people. It took all my will -- and a temporary parting of the customer sea -- to force my money upon them at the very end. Frankly, all I wanted to do is eat about half the burger to get a good sample and clear out of there.

I know the tiny atmosphere is part of the charm, but this was all too much. I was constantly jostled and the blaring TV was ridiculous.

Also, I would have preferred more substantial bun. It's too small and flimsy for my tastes.

If the Ice House is even half as good, I may stick to that. And I very much look forward to their new place.

Will be interesting to see how Nic splits his time once that happens.

I don't think Nic needs to change a thing.

It's part of the atmosphere -- everything is the wrong size.

The store is too small, the bun is too small, the burger is too large, the TV is huge. i usually eat the burger with my hands like a normal burger, and never have any trouble with the bun. You have to make sure you slide the bun away from your mouth a little bit to keep the bun centered, or else it will slide forward and you will run out of bun before you run out of meat.

16. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I don't think Nic needs to change a thing. .
    Ditto! I would hate to see Nic ever change a single thing about his burger.

Every time I've been there it's been somewhat chaotic and certainly busy, but I found the atmosphere relaxing. People are friendly and talk to each other. Nic occasionally adds a wry comment. I don't recall blaring TVs, though, so I guess that is new.

Catch22 sums it up very nicely, but I'm impressed he can eat it with his hands. How? No onions? No jalapeños?

I wouldn't presume to tell the maker of one of the best burgers in the world how to do things; I just would personally prefer a bun that held up better so I can pick up the darn thing and sample all the flavors in the way they were meant to be presented.

I will also admit to being somewhat claustrophobic and noise-averse. But why would anyone want the bloody Price is Right blaring anywhere, let alone such a cramped space?

I'm sure next time I go my expectations will be different and I'm also sure the service will be much better.

19. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Catch22 sums it up very nicely, but I'm impressed he can eat it with his hands. How? No onions? No jalapeños?
    I eat mine with my hands but I'm a mayo, cheese & onions only guy..... I've eaten it that way for so many years that Nic doesn't even ask. He just says "Here ya are Bubba." and hands it over to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I eat mine with my hands but I'm a mayo, cheese & onions only guy..... I've eaten it that way for so many years that Nic doesn't even ask. He just says "Here ya are Bubba." and hands it over to me.
    Does Nic know your online persona? that of a food blogger? just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I, too, am curious about this. Do you feel you are treated differently (better) because of your blog?

22. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Nope.... I've only revealed myself to one food truck owner in OKC and he only knows me because I'm a KCBS judge and he's a KCBS cook.

I've been eating at Nic's longer than I've been blogging.

Nope.... I've only revealed myself to one food truck owner in OKC and he only knows me because I'm a KCBS judge and he's a KCBS cook.

I've been eating at Nic's longer than I've been blogging.
    and now I'm penitent (but not sorry enough!, I guess), but there's an active BBQ food truck?

24. Default Re: Nic's Grill

and now I'm penitent (but not sorry enough!, I guess), but there's an active BBQ food truck?
    There are quite a few actually. I've lost track but at one time there were 10 or more active Q-trucks in the area..... Almost always at least one parked at Bleu Garten this spring.

I tell everyone that you eat a Nic's burger similar to a gyro. Once you pick it up, don't put it all the way down. Always keep it in at least one hand and it will stay together pretty well, even fully loaded.

Thread Information