Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nic's Grill

Default Re: Nic's Grill

Went to Nics today. Heard him talking about a new location that he is opening in Midtown. ( 1116 N Robinson )... Hopes to be in the building in the next month or so and then about 4 months of finish out. The new place will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. (He stopped serving breakfast about a year or so ago). It will also serve alcohol. Interesting news. Will for sure help out the lack of breakfast in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Went to Nics today. Heard him talking about a new location that he is opening in Midtown. ( 1116 N Robinson )... Hopes to be in the building in the next month or so and then about 4 months of finish out. The new place will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. (He stopped serving breakfast about a year or so ago). It will also serve alcohol. Interesting news. Will for sure help out the lack of breakfast in the area.
    Thanks.

Next time you are in there ask him about the name, partners, etc.

My understanding is the bar will be in the basement and the restaurant at street level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

My understanding is the bar will be in the basement and the restaurant at street level.

Correct.. Heard him say he wants it to have a "basement lounge feel." Whatever that means.

If they go into this location, it would seem that The Garage might be in for some tough times. Nic's does a much better burger than them. Man, Nic isn't scared of anything, going head-to-head like this.

5. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    If they go into this location, it would seem that The Garage might be in for some tough times. Nic's does a much better burger than them. Man, Nic isn't scared of anything, going head-to-head like this.
    He's not really going head to head with them with burgers.... Justin has described what he is doing at this location to me as an upscale diner.

If you want a Nic's burger you will still have to go to Nic's Grill.

Good restaurants only do better when other good restaurants come next door…

Even if you could get a Nic's Burger at this new location, I sincerely doubt that Hal Smith is worried about competition from any local restauranteur in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    He's not really going head to head with them with burgers.... Justin has described what he is doing at this location to me as an upscale diner.

If you want a Nic's burger you will still have to go to Nic's Grill.
    Damn, that's unfortunate for me! It's sometimes impossible to get into that place with their hours and being closed on weekends.

8. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Damn, that's unfortunate for me! It's sometimes impossible to get into that place with their hours and being closed on weekends.
    You'll still be able to get Nic's burgers at the Ice House (MBG) when it's not ice skating season...

9. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You'll still be able to get Nic's burgers at the Ice House (MBG) when it's not ice skating season...
    As brought up before -- the Ice House burger is absolutely no comparison to an actual authentic Nic's Burger IMO.

10. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    As brought up before -- the Ice House burger is absolutely no comparison to an actual authentic Nic's Burger IMO.
    I agree that it's not quite the same, but that's the beauty of his operation. It can't be perfectly replicated anywhere else. /burp

Won't be hard to top The Garbage. Gag. I will just eat a burger at home.

Looking forward to Nic's new concept. He is the perfect restaurateur to pull this off, and people have been clamoring for an idea like this for years. Hal Smith does real estate; Nic does food.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Looking forward to Nic's new concept. He is the perfect restaurateur to pull this off, and people have been clamoring for an idea like this for years. Hal Smith does real estate; Nic does food.
    Is the Garage really as bad as you portray it to be ? I went the other day (downtown location), they must have about 30 burgers to choose from, the one I got I thought was fine for the price and of all things the line to get in was out the door. I thought we'd have trouble finding a table but as soon as one emptied, they'd swarm it and it was ready for use.

Dumb quote of the year perhaps. Not ever comparing Nics to the garage because they werent designed to be the same thing. Each serves it's niche quite well. I enjoy both.
    To say Hal Smith doesn't "do food" really is kinda short sighted. His restaurants have mostly been successful and most are good at what they do. If you don't enjoy them you certainly don't have to go. But at least be fair in your description.

Seeing stuff like this on this forum gets old. I don't post often but enjoy reading a lot. Some people and their holier than thou attitudes are starting to turn me off.

Quote Originally Posted by tsou89 View Post
    Dumb quote of the year perhaps. Not ever comparing Nics to the garage because they werent designed to be the same thing. Each serves it's niche quite well. I enjoy both.
    To say Hal Smith doesn't "do food" really is kinda short sighted. His restaurants have mostly been successful and most are good at what they do. If you don't enjoy them you certainly don't have to go. But at least be fair in your description.

Seeing stuff like this on this forum gets old. I don't post often but enjoy reading a lot. Some people and their holier than thou attitudes are starting to turn me off.
    It's just, like, my opinion, man. I'm sure The Garage makes money, but their burgers are nothing special. We can disagree without being disagreeable. It's a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    It's wierd and completely mental but for some reason I always think the food is better if the place only accepts cash.

it's like recipe you get at a potluck, it's always better when someone else makes it.
    FWIW, you are not alone in such thoughts.

16. Default Re: Nic's Grill

It's just, like, my opinion, man. I'm sure The Garage makes money, but their burgers are nothing special. We can disagree without being disagreeable. It's a free country.
    Burgers are like any other food, you'll get a very wide base of opinions on who serves the best [whatever type of food].

Personally, the Garage in Edmond is my favorite goto burger. We probably eat there at least every other week and always have to wait in line and sometimes wait for a table even after ordering --- so, obviously lots of people think they make a good burger.

I love a Nic's burger, but its simply too damn difficult to get one and the portion is unrealistically large (caloric) to be eaten with any regularity.

I hope the new venture is a success (I'm definitely going to give it a try) but to claim he's "...the perfect restaurateur to pull this off..." is a (to me) a bit too much cheerleading for a one hit wonder.

No problem. It's only opinions��
    I think their burgers are good. Not great. I do think Hal Smith runs quality restaurants for the most part.

Yeah I actually enjoyed my one experience at the Garage. I just feel like Nic's is probably my favorite burger I've ever had. And Ice House, although delicious, isn't quite the same as Nic's. But definitely didn't intend to dog on the Garage though.

Exactly, but calling the The Garage, "The Garbage. Gag." is a pretty disagreeable way to make your point. Or at least in poor taste. (see what I did there)

If you just said something like, "I'm not a fan of the Garage burgers because they're overcooked or don't use fresh tomatoes" then people could easily disagree with you without being disagreeable. But, that's just my opinion, man.

I don't hate The Garage. When it first opened on Robinson we there quite often to watch Thunder games. BUT, I am not enamored with their food. It's not bad, by any means, but I think S & B is a better burger. McNellies burger is better IMHO. Heck, for that matter, I think Whataburger is a better burger than The Garage. It's all a matter of taste.

It is a matter of taste amid other amenities, I've been to S&B a few times but can't justify going back. I feel like for the complete package, food, atmosphere and service that the Garage stacks up well.

I drove by Nic's Grill, on the way Downtown, yesterday. Three guys were hanging around, outside, in a pseudo-line before 10:00 am. I thought Nic's quit serving breakfast some time ago. Or was this the start of the Lunch Rush?

23. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I drove by Nic's Grill, on the way Downtown, yesterday. Three guys were hanging around, outside, in a pseudo-line before 10:00 am. I thought Nic's quit serving breakfast some time ago. Or was this the start of the Lunch Rush?
    Start of lunch... I believe his hours are 10:00 to 2:00 now despite still having some of his 7-2 signs outside.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Yeah there is another thread on it somewhere, the progress is coming along nicely now.

25. Default Re: Nic's Grill

It's just, like, my opinion, man.
    You're obviously not a golfer.

Thread Information