Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nic's Grill

Default Nic's Mentioned on Leno's Tonight Show

On the Tonight show with Jay Leno last night, Collin Farrell told Jay that he and some friends did a Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives map of the U.S. and drove across the country visiting different restaurants that were featured on the show. When Leno asked Collin what the best place was, Collin replied, "There is a place in Oklahoma called Nic's that makes a mean hamburger" or something of the sort. I knew he had been at Nic's a few months ago and think it is really cool he mentioned one of my favorite places on the Tonight Show. I went by Nic's today at 1:30 P.M and there were still about 15 people waiting to get in before the 2:00 p.m. closing. I decided to not wait in the line today and went elsewhere.

I know everyone does not love Nic's but it is great for an Oklahoma City restaurant to get mentioned on a national broadcast like the Tonight Show. Nic and Javon that work there are really nice people and I enjoy the burgers and the place in general.

Bigray in Ok

Default Re: Nic's Mentioned on Leno's Tonight Show

They need to start a celebrity wall. Guessing no one got a pic of him there?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    They need to start a celebrity wall. Guessing no one got a pic of him there?

Javon showed me a picture of Collin Farrell he took on his phone. He said he showed up about ten minutes before closing in order to avoid a crowd. He told me the main celebrities that have been there are locals like Barry Switzer and Toby Keith. No Thunder players have been in there that I know of.

Bigray in Ok

That's still pretty cool. Glad Colin chose to pass thru Oklahoma!

Colin could have stopped at at least three other Oklahoma places from Guy F's Show: Ingrid's Kitchen (OKC), The Rock Cafe (Stroud) and Clanton's (Vinita).
    Now that I finally tried Ingrid's, I can say I've been to all three . . . But not Nic's. Not yet.

Nic's is very good. The hours are limited, however.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Colin could have stopped at at least three other Oklahoma places from Guy F's Show: Ingrid's Kitchen (OKC), The Rock Cafe (Stroud) and Clanton's (Vinita).
    Now that I finally tried Ingrid's, I can say I've been to all three . . . But not Nic's. Not yet.
    There was also Mama E's in OKC and The Diner in Norman that Guy visited. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    There was also Mama E's in OKC and The Diner in Norman that Guy visited. Any others?
    He went to Eischen's in Okarche as well as Leo's BBQ and Cattlemen's here in OKC.

9. Default Re: Nic's Mentioned on Leno's Tonight Show

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    He went to Eischen's in Okarche as well as Leo's BBQ and Cattlemen's here in OKC.
    Thanks. I thought there were more but I was just staring at empty blank thought bubbles trying to come up with them. One of those days.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    That was great. I loved how he called out the people clapping in the audience. This conversation topic starts at about 22 minutes in.

Now for the off-topic rant: NBC is really pushing it with the minute and a half commercial before the video plays.

Default Re: Nic's Grill

You can see where Nic spent some of his Ice House money (photo courtesy EatAroundOKC):

Good to have the "Cash Only" indicator on there

14. Default Re: Nic's Grill

I just had lunch there today. I'm sure the monitor is more convenient, but the chalk board just fit the mood of the place better.

Seems like a weird change/expense for such a basic place with only a handful of menu items.

Not exactly in need of a quick-change interactive display.

Maybe Nic just likes to flip on the TV while prepping / cleaning up.

16. Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Maybe Nic just likes to flip on the TV while prepping / cleaning up.
    There was already a TV 3 ft. away. So, yeah, it does seem weird.

He is never open it's so hit or miss anymore.

Prices have been raised $1.84 for the combo.

I liked the chalkboard better. Makes me wonder what is next?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Prices have been raised $1.84 for the combo.

Has to pay for the TV. lol

It does seem like a weird expense. I wonder how many people have said "You can afford a tv for a menu, but don't want to pay the credit transaction fees!"

21. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Has to pay for the TV. lol

It does seem like a weird expense. I wonder how many people have said "You can afford a tv for a menu, but don't want to pay the credit transaction fees!"
    The TV is a one time expense....every transaction on a credit or debit card is an expense. There are a lot of older, mom-n-pop places that still don't take cards if a person ever gets out of a city.

Interesting that they didn't mention the onions in Nic's burgers. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The TV is a one time expense....every transaction on a credit or debit card is an expense. There are a lot of older, mom-n-pop places that still don't take cards if a person ever gets out of a city.
    It's wierd and completely mental but for some reason I always think the food is better if the place only accepts cash.

it's like recipe you get at a potluck, it's always better when someone else makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    It's wierd and completely mental but for some reason I always think the food is better if the place only accepts cash.

it's like recipe you get at a potluck, it's always better when someone else makes it.
    A lot of the places in small town Texas that we would ride to eat at only took cash, so I am used to it....but then I am 50 years old, not 25. I remember working retail when the card readers would rarely work and we had to do the slips manually and sometimes call it in.

Thread Information