Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by namellac View Post
    Many a marriage/relationship has been ruined by [a la Camode], most headhunters know about the bad reputation they have there. I've heard that the environment has changed somewhat, but they still tend to look for people with low self-esteem that they can brow-beat into submission, so they can pocket all the profits for themselves.

Yep - not to mention, the low salary they start you out at.....that's interesting the type of people they "look for"....Wonder if that trickles into their HR Dept....hmmm

Many a marriage/relationship has been ruined by [a la Camode], most headhunters know about the bad reputation they have there. I've heard that the environment has changed somewhat, but they still tend to look for people with low self-esteem that they can brow-beat into submission, so they can pocket all the profits for themselves.
    I came *that* close to putting in for a development job there about two or three years ago, until I put a few feelers out and the feedback came back uniequivocally negative...cots in the back was the dealbreaker. Did something kinda like that a few years ago at one shop, realized I was ridiculously naive about what I was promised in terms of workgroup staffing, and ended up writing an entire project by myself. Not gonna do THAT again...

My current job isn't the sexiest, but I've got a great boss, I have absolutely regular hours, a pension plan, employer-matched savings, and am home to be with my family every night. Hard to put a price on that.

3. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I'm surprised no one has brought up Ackerman-McQueen as a "worst place." Talk about your chop shop. The place is a veritable revolving door of advertising/marketing folks. Work there and grow some very thick skin. Late hours, low pay, and lots of getting yelled at. A circus of fun!
    I've heard that too about Ackerman, although that's kind of across the board for ad agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I've heard that too about Ackerman, although that's kind of across the board for ad agencies.
    It certainly can be, especially in other markets. In OKC, though, AM really has the reputation for it's revolving door.

Not necessarily. I know several people who have worked for MUCH larger and more respected agencies than A/M in other cities (even countries). The A/M culture is unique to A/M, and is directly created by its leadership.

They act like they are much more important to the world of advertising than they actually are, and their strange, draconian office culture is out of step with how the big, reputable creative shops do business today. It's an anachronism fueled by political muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not necessarily. I know several people who have worked for MUCH larger and more respected agencies than A/M in other cities (even countries). The A/M culture is unique to A/M, and is directly created by its leadership.

They act like they are much more important to the world of advertising than they actually are, and their strange, draconian office culture is out of step with how the big, reputable creative shops do business today. It's an anachronism fueled by political muscle.
    What you say about A/M may all be true. But you have to admit one thing. They were important enough, and have more than enough political muscle to get a river renamed. Well some of it anyway.

hey were important enough, and have more than enough political muscle to get a river renamed.
    Wow! They got a river renamed for one mile of its length. That must take some special mojo. I'm sure the folks at Leo Burnett, BBDO, and J Walter Thompson are shivering in their boots due to this competition blowing in from the plains.

What you say just illustrates my point. A/M is good at moving local politicos around. Not so much at being a world-class advertising agency.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow! They got a river renamed for one mile of its length. That must take some special mojo. I'm sure the folks at Leo Burnett, BBDO, and J Walter Thompson are shivering in their boots due to this competition blowing in from the plains.

What you say just illustrates my point. A/M is good at moving local politicos around. Not so much at being a world-class advertising agency.
    I was trying to illustrate your point. In a twisted kind of way.

Hey bandnerd when did you teach in Mid-Del schools. I was there from 1993-2004 in one of the Jr. Highs. I was wondering if your situation was the same as mine before I left.

10. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

2004-2005. We just missed each other :P
    Still corrupting young minds

I happen to know that Ackerman McQueen can provide excellent training and many employees (including myself) moved onto bigger and better ad agencies. Its a trend in the advertising industry to be a "sweatshop" - long hours, horrible pay. Because if you won't take a crappy salary to work in the "oh-so-glamourous" world of advertising - someone else will.

As far as AM's pull here in OKC - yes they have a lot. But at the end of the day - their Clients make the decisions.

12. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

a la mode....worst place to work.

Let me first state that I am a current a la mode employee and have been for 7 years now. I have worked in every department except Sales or Marketing. With that being said, I think you guys have it all wrong. Granted those who have worked here very easily could have had a bad experience, what company doesn't have that. I won't debate that issue but I will explain the facts.

Developers expected to pull all-nighters to meet deadlines... a la mode is a very agile development group. Depending on when you were here, based on your statement of cots, I assume you were at Waterwood, you may have experienced something completely different. Our developers currently average 40 -50 hours a week, with most towards the 40-45 range. Yes occasionally we will pull all nighters in order to get a product out the door for a tradeshow or other rare occasions, but what company doesn't do that. We have two sleeping rooms in our offices now (Memorial Rd) but they are more often used by techs during their lunch breaks and naps than developers. Back in the day, 2001, in the final crunch of the flagship product (version 5) there were several all-nighters. But even the owner of the company himself was there pulling those same all nighters. That should say a lot....We work hard but we play hard too

Just some quick facts that really suck:

1. a la mode pays for the employee health insurance (vision, dental, health)
    2. They matched up to 125% of what the employee put in up to 6% of their salary. This has just changed, but is still good. Vested from day 1.
    3. If you have been there for 5 years, you get 3 weeks paid vacation. 1 week at a year and 2 weeks at 2 or 3 years. I think, I can't remember as it doesn't apply to me (the lower amounts)
    4. Free Food The owner of the company pays for a company to stock our fridges with breakfast and lunch (could be dinner as well). Coffee (even the fufu, Flavia), Pop and water also provided free of charge.
    5. Christmas bonus that grows on the number of years you have worked there. I have seen the owner hand a support technician a $10K Christmas bonus.
    6. Recently added (within a year)- Birthday gift. What did your company give you for your birthday? Just another sign they appreciate us.

I don't know about you, but if you can find a job that equals or beats that, let me know.

Many a marriage/relationship has been ruined by [a la Camode] WOW, such a harsh statement. No offense, but a la mode didn't cause the marriage to break up, the persons involved caused that. I have been married for 6 years and my marriage is perfectly fine. People whom choose to cheat on their spouses are responsible for their marriages breaking up, not the workplace. There are very few companies that can say employees are not having extra-marital affairs.

This is not a flame, but these are some pretty harsh generalizations that frankly are not true. I don't doubt there are people whom dislike a la mode for one reason or another. Don't get me wrong it is very stressful at times, but based on the items I mentioned above and others that I didn't, I think I have shown that the company is very generous as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Okietransplant View Post

Let me first state that I am a current a la mode employee and have been for 7 years now. I have worked in every department except Sales or Marketing. With that being said, I think you guys have it all wrong. Granted those who have worked here very easily could have had a bad experience, what company doesn't have that. I won't debate that issue but I will explain the facts..........
    You'll wake up one day, and realize how wrong you are. I've worked in just about every shop in this town. CAMODE IS THE WORST!

Am surprised to see people list Hertz as a candidate for worst company.

Call center gigs are hellish enough but not sure you could pin the blame on Hertz. Their corporate locations (airports) are famous for being horrendous especially for college grads thinking they're getting somewhere in management....but the call center....surely there must be worst places on the reservation.

I know someone that just went through their training course and out of 18, only 6 are still there (eight weeks later). Says as much about the quality of employee as well as the gig and pay.

15. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

You'll wake up one day, and realize how wrong you are. I've worked in just about every shop in this town. CAMODE IS THE WORST!
    Maybe that says something about yourself, that you have worked in every shop in town. There are several employees that have been here for 5+ years so it obviously isn't as bad as you mention but maybe you had a bad experience. You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that, regardless of whether I agree with it or not. I just wanted to set some facts straight so that people have a fair assessment of the company.

It's called contract programming. I've been at my current gig for 4 years. Every recruiter in town has a black mark next to Camode.

I'll allow you your right to bend over and take it.

17. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

This is like watching inmates at a mental facility argue over which padded room has the most comfortable "I love me" jacket.

Anyone work at York????
    Just wondering...

19. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by Okietransplant View Post
    3. If you have been there for 5 years, you get 3 weeks paid vacation. 1 week at a year and 2 weeks at 2 or 3 years. I think, I can't remember as it doesn't apply to me (the lower amounts)
    One week for new people? That is probably one of the more pathetic vacation plans I've seen in awhile. I would hope there are still plenty of paid holidays where the employees don't have to work.

20. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

I believe it is 1 or 2 weeks at a year, I really haven't paid attention, since it doesn't apply to me. And yes, we get paid holidays however, with it mainly being a call center, not as many as say the government.

This group seems to be pretty negative and focus soley on those issues. Every job is going to have something one way or another that you don't agree with. I am not sure there is any "perfect" job. However, the positives of a la mode do outweigh the negatives....at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyl57 View Post
    Anyone work at York????
    Just wondering...

I did Cindy, but I was contract - assisting them with their Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. I was there for 7 months and worked with a great group. I know Johnsons Control bought them and not sure how it is now....

It is pretty easy to figure out the places not to work..

Just look in the paper or online for job listings..

The places that are always listing the same jobs have to have some type of problem..

I see Hertz, Schwanns..Pepsi...Alamode...Telefloral...all the time..

These places must run the same adds over and over...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Hertz which surprised me. Retail sales has to rank high on the hate list with the long hours, low wages and customer service issues...but you get a 10 percent discount...

I did a search but nothing came up, is there a best place to work thread? If so, that's what i want to see.

never mind, i found it.

Thread Information