Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hometown Buffet (closed)

Jay Guest

Default 240 Hometown Buffet Sold

Hometown Buffet sale reported

Hometown Buffet at 1012 S Interstate
    240 Service Road in Oklahoma City has been sold, commercial real estate advisers Sperry Van Ness said Monday.

The property, which is near Krispy Kreme, Red Lobster and Steak & Ale, reportedly sold for $2.15 million. Jason Little of Sperry Van Ness represented the seller and Hooman Ghaffari of Sperry Van Ness-Los Angeles represented the buyer

2. Large Chain Hometown Buffet (closed)

Noticed today that the Hometown Buffet off 1-240 and South Western was closed. Hmmm that's odd because they were always busy and the parking lot was always full.

Linze!

3. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

Interesting. I just noticed this week that the Fire Mountain on N. Penn was closed. Coincidence?

Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

it was in the oklahoman about a week ago... both are owned by the same parent company and were part of a string of nationwide closings. -M

Crap...I was hoping it would stay open for another 35 years when I would finally be interested in eating there

6. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

lol... Blame it on the mayor and his healthy eating campaign.... I can't possibly imagine a buffet not doing well in OK.. j/k

The other day I was in the airport in Las Vegas and we were sitting in a section waiting to depart... I noticed these groups of really, really big people meandering in and sitting in the OKC departure section... I'm talking have to buy 2-3 seats big... not trying to be mean but there were quite a few obese people in this waiting area and a few groups that were just downright stereotypical - one sporting a mullet of all things ...

I started thinking, well maybe our Mayor is on to something after all.

lo and behold, a flight to Minnesota was called and the entire room was emptied by these people getting on the plane - to Minnesota .. lol, so it's just not us!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

It's always good news to hear a buffet go out of business!

It was a franchise so i dont understant why the issues within ryan's corporate would affect it.

9. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

I wish we'd get a Bob Evans here, or a Marie Calenders in the city. Fuddruckers have the best hamburgers. It would be cool to have them here. Shoney's used to have the best breakfast buffet. They need to come back.

there's a marie callender's just south of main in norman. -M

A Fuddrucker's was going into one of the outparcels in the 240 Penn Plaza, but something happened, the deal fell through, and Charleston's is now in precisely the spot Fudd's was supposed to occupy. In fact, there was a website for the OKC Fudds for the longest time (and a local OKC phone number), but it died along with the restaurant. Pity.

The Fudd's that used to be at I-240 and Western was *great*. The Fudd's I ate in last year in the Dallas area was only so-so.

BTW, someone else cheered the demise of "any buffet," and I have to disagree. Well-done buffet restaurants are a great choice for large groups and families with diverse tastes. Hometown *used* to be very good, surprisingly so to me, but it deteriorated in the last few years such that it was not entirely surprising when it finally closed.

Default Hometown Buffet Closing

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-home...rticle/3661876

Options for this type of dining seem to continue to dwindle.

13. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

We drove by there tonight and it was closed. It was a good place to eat at one time. We had our rehearsal dinner there back in 1977.

Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

It doesn't surprise me. The last few times I ate their it was worse then school or hospital cafeteria grade food.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    We drove by there tonight and it was closed. It was a good place to eat at one time. We had our rehearsal dinner there back in 1977.
    I never knew Hometown Buffet was around in 1977. I will say that I enjoyed Hometown Buffet's food more than Golden Corral's food. I actually liked the weekend breakfast buffet more than the regular lunch and dinner food. I stopped going years ago when the buffet price started to steadily increase.

We occasionally ate breakfast at Hometown Buffet and always thought it was good. Sorry to hear that the restaurant is closing.

I am not generally a fan of all you can eat type places but I do miss the cafeteria choices that we used to have in OKC.

Place was generally busy but not really surprised given the parent companies troubles...the latest General Manager of the place didn't even know about the bankruptcy until I told him about it...HT had been in that location for quite a while now, was some mom-n-pop place for decades then went thru a series of buffet places until HT lnaded there. Too bad as I ate most Sunday dinners there. They had great tasting ham, turkey and some of the best dressing. Other things could be hit or miss.

wow, i haven't been there in years. are both of them closing? from what i remember, there was one on I-240 as well. it used to be a buffet called The Choice, then changed to HT at some point, but never knew if it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81
    from what i remember, there was one on I-240 as well.
    that's been closed for several years. the location is currently an asian buffet called hibachi. before it was 'the choice' i believe it was called 'duffs'...

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I never knew Hometown Buffet was around in 1977. I will say that I enjoyed Hometown Buffet's food more than Golden Corral's food. I actually liked the weekend breakfast buffet more than the regular lunch and dinner food. I stopped going years ago when the buffet price started to steadily increase.
    It was originally known as Heritage House. It Changed to Hometown years later.

Wink Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

Many, many years ago a brother of my wife and some of his friends went to Home Town for their evening meal. They were young, unmarried men who frequented buffets because it was to their economic advantage. They could make rent payments and car payments and party if the ate somewhere where they didn't have to spend a lot of cash and could fill up on food. One evening the duty manager at Home Town approached their table and informed the group that they had, indeed, eaten all they could and requested that they exit the premises when they had finished the food which they were consuming at that moment. He remained nearby to observe that there were no more trips through the buffet line and that the group left the premises upon completion of their current food portions.

never mind . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinese-all-you-can-eat-buffet-rules.jpeg 
Views:	524 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1172  

Wasn't locally, but in younger days I was a party to such conversations from time to time. Tried not to take them too personally so long as there wasn't a lot of rudeness involved.

Sign looks faker than a 3 dollar bill round a football bat, but having pulled a few buffet marathons in my life, I get the sentiment.

Years back there was a local place that did breakfast buffets on the weekends. Usually started up Saturday's on Friday eve near midnight. A lot of us gathered to study late on Friday's and on to dawn, sometimes beyond. We actually ate somewhat light, well sort of anyway, stayed mostly quiet, and tipped well since we held tables so long. Got to know the staff rather well too.

The Kettle?

Thread Information