Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norman Urban Myths, Legends, Rumors, etc...

1. Default Re: Norman Urban Myths, Legends, Rumors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    These are some of my favorite Norman tales:

- There is a Bigfoot that inhabits the Lake Thunderbird / Little River area. It has been heard many times over the years, and seen once or twice.

- Various stories of the follies of the Norman Police Dept.

- Norman proper will never be hit by a tornado because according to ancient Indian stories the city was built between a unique branching river formation that will not allow tornadoes to develop.

- Norman is built on an Indian burial ground. Variations of this story involve either the spirits protecting the town from tornadoes, or terrorizing the town in the form of ghosts and strange sounds late at night.

- The OU football field is protected by a sophisticated laser fencing of some kind. Setting foot on it without permission will set off alarms and security will arrive within seconds to arrest you.

- Various haunted buildings on the OU campus.

I grew up in Norman (one mile from Lake Thunderbird). It might sound crazy, but one night my Aunt, Uncle, cousin, sister, and I thought we had a run in with something that resembled bigfoot. This was 13 years ago and it was on Choctaw Road just 5 miles North of Lake Thunderbird. It was around 10 pm and we were driving North on Choctaw Road. My sister and I were riding in the back of the truck. My Uncle was approaching a stop sign and slammed on his breaks at the site of a tall hairy/furry creature that was walking on two legs. My sister and I heard the screaming from inside the truck and we saw the same creature. It was atleast 10 feet tall or taller. We never seen an actual face. My cousin was so scared that his immediate reaction was to kick his legs up for protection which resulted in the windshield cracking. Thankfully, my Uncle kept driving so we didn't stick around to see what it was that had frightened us so much. I haven't really ever shared this story with anyone but family and it has actually been years since I have even thought about it. But it definitely was a very scary experience and all of us seen the same creature, however we still have no idea what it was. We have always believed that it had to be Bigfoot!
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

Default Re: Norman Urban Myths, Legends, Rumors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I've heard something about the Duck Pond too but can't quite remember. I think it's something like a pioneer woman's ghost is supposedly seen there, something like that.
    I've actually had sex at the duck pond in my younger days. Do you think she was watching??

.Oo(the origin of Aaaafffff-llaaaaaccck!)Oo.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    That's very interesting..... I wonder if that's where the almost comical anecdotes about "Conoco" stadium originated from..... some of you might know what I am talking about.....
    For those of us that don't, can someone shed some light on this?

Dang, ya'll. Turn out the lights and get the popcorn. This is good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    .Oo(the origin of Aaaafffff-llaaaaaccck!)Oo.
    haha! Not with a duck silly!

7. Default Re: Norman Urban Myths, Legends, Rumors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by live&letlive View Post
    I've actually had sex at the duck pond in my younger days. Do you think she was watching??
    lol...Among those of us who grew up here...Who hasn't?

As for who was watching...If I was concerned about that, I would have been bumpin' uglies at the Duck Pond!

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    I grew up in Norman (one mile from Lake Thunderbird). It might sound crazy, but one night my Aunt, Uncle, cousin, sister, and I thought we had a run in with something that resembled bigfoot. This was 13 years ago and it was on Choctaw Road just 5 miles North of Lake Thunderbird. It was around 10 pm and we were driving North on Choctaw Road. My sister and I were riding in the back of the truck. My Uncle was approaching a stop sign and slammed on his breaks at the site of a tall hairy/furry creature that was walking on two legs. My sister and I heard the screaming from inside the truck and we saw the same creature. It was atleast 10 feet tall or taller. We never seen an actual face. My cousin was so scared that his immediate reaction was to kick his legs up for protection which resulted in the windshield cracking. Thankfully, my Uncle kept driving so we didn't stick around to see what it was that had frightened us so much. I haven't really ever shared this story with anyone but family and it has actually been years since I have even thought about it. But it definitely was a very scary experience and all of us seen the same creature, however we still have no idea what it was. We have always believed that it had to be Bigfoot!
    Wow that's really cool. In case you are curious, there's a website called the Bigfoot Research Organization that keeps track of sightings around the country and tries to conduct itself in a scientific matter. The case files are online and you can read them. There are surprisingly a lot from Oklahoma, and a few from the Norman area.

Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization

2 decapitations that I know to be fact:

1993 or 94 was when the head was found in the Mont dumpster, the head was cut off by his room mate, the room mate was quickly arrested, the body was kept at home. They lived in one of the big houses off campus corner in a rented room, they were not OU students. I never heard of any haunting stories from that one, yet.

The other happened in the late 80's, A 6th grader (or thereabouts) living in one of the older dorms accross from Dale Hall in the summer for some kind of summer camp, lost his head when he and his friends were playing with a dumb waiter, all of which were subsequently sealed off. It is said he haunts the building. The school paper in the early 90's published that ghost story, which I thought was a bit classless at the time since it was so recent and there must have been grieving parents who would not appreciate their son being a ghost story.

The other story I always heard was that late at night ghosts walk the train tracks behind the duck pond. Every 5 years or so it seems like someone goes to sleep on those tracks and is killed by a train....

Actually the decapitated head was at J. Botie's further west on Boyd. There were a couple of released mental patients that lived in one of those big houses that are made into apartments. I remember the story well. They argued a lot, and one day one of them snapped. He killed his neighbor, cut his head off, put the head in a backpack, shed himself naked and proceeded to deliver the head to the dumpster. Someone nearby saw the naked dude with the backpack and called police. When the police checked the dumpster, they found the head. The guy was arrested and is probably living back at Griffin today. Maybe somebody should go visit the guy. I'm sure he's lonely.

Does anyone remember the couple that was killed on "Lover's Lane", in 10 mile flats, back in the early 60's ? I think they tried a former police officer for the crime, but it was years later.

Thread Information