1/23/13: Construction set to begin on Holiday Inn Express
    1/22/13: Application approved by Bricktown Design Review Committee
    1/14/13: $18,000,000 building permit application
    Links

Downtown Hotel Summary
    Urban Project Summary
    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress8.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	3213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress7.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	3214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress6.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	3215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress5.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	3216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress4.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	3217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress3.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	3218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress2.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	3219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holidayexpress1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	3220  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holiday-inn-1.jpg 
Views:	1583 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	4989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiexpress6.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	404.3 KB 
ID:	5540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiexpress7.jpg 
Views:	2221 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	5541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiexpress8.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	5542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R020025050001rA.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	5543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steffenicecreamcompany01.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	565.0 KB 
ID:	5544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steffenicecreamcompany1945.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	5545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiexpress1214a.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	5724  

Name:	hiexpress1214b.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	5725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi11314c.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	6201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi11314d.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	6202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi11314b.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	6200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi11314a.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	6199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi020514a.jpg 
Views:	1999 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	6580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi041214.jpg 
Views:	1467 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	7402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiexpress1st.jpg 
Views:	1171 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	7485  

Name:	hi051114.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	7801  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

By Steve Lackmeyer at NewsOK: Dairy demolition<br/><span class='hl2'>Hotel hinges on removal of old ice cream building</span>

Hotel hinges on removal of old ice cream building

The old Steffen's Ice Cream building at 101 E Main in Bricktown could soon be demolished to make way for a 95-room Holiday Inn Express.

The development is set to be reviewed Wednesday by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee, which is tasked with approving new construction and exterior renovations.

The developer, Alex Patel, has owned the Quality Inn Trade Winds, 1800 E Reno, since March 2007. The Quality Inn is just east of Bricktown and Patel said he often hears from guests who say they want to see more rooms available in the entertainment district.

"They want to be near the concerts, the events, the conventions,” Patel said. "There is in place now the new Hampton Inn (opening later this year), the Renaissance, the Colcord, the Skirvin ... but we're trying to appeal to the group that can't afford $200 a night. We're looking at $80 to $100.”

The proposed hotel will be four stories high with 54,796 square feet. The facade, designed by Quinn & Associates, includes brick and synthetic stucco. Patel said the hotel's guests would be provided parking space in the north Bricktown lot operated by Don Karchmer.

Patel estimated his project will cost up to $9 million and said he's eager to get the hotel built so that it might be open by the return of the Big 12 Basketball Tournament in March 2009. Patel said his Quality Inn sold out when the tournament was held at Ford Center last year.

"We've got the plans, and the franchise is gung-ho about it,” Patel said. "We could probably get the remaining plans out three months after getting the OK from the design committee.”

Patel said his purchase of the property is tied to getting approval from the committee to tear down the dairy, which was built in several phases starting in 1916. The building is not on the National Register of Historic Places, and is owned by veteran Bricktown developer Karchmer.

The Bricktown urban design ordinance gives the committee power to veto demolition, but it only discourages demolition if a building is on the historic register or is considered locally to be a historic structure.

Bob Blackburn, executive director of the Oklahoma Historical Society, said determination of whether a building is historical goes beyond whether it's placed on the historic register. More than a quarter century ago it was Blackburn who was hired by original Bricktown developer Neal Horton to place several other buildings in the district on the list.

Blackburn said considerations include whether a property was associated with a historic person, event or architectural style and whether it has any national, state or local significance.

He said historic significance can be diminished if the building's appearance has been altered. But he also cautioned against considering the building without looking at its place in the overall district. He compared tearing down an old building to chipping away pieces of a mosaic mural.

"This building may not be important individually,” Blackburn said. "But like the Walnut Street bridge, which may not have been significant individually, it is part of the urban landscape that gives all the properties scale, texture and variety. And every piece you lose of that context, you're losing that texture and variety and overall of the district.”

Bricktown, he said, is special because it is a collection of historic buildings.

"Take enough pieces out of that mosaic and you lose your focus,” Blackburn said. "I'm not saying this is going to diminish the context of Bricktown ... but each time you chip away a little bit more at the overall fabric, it affects everything else.”

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, said the district is eager to see additional hotel rooms — but as with recent applications for a McDonald's and a Hampton Inn — ordinary franchise architecture might not be sufficient.

"It's a question of tearing down a building in order to make a better structure,” Cowan said. "We'll have to weigh all the merits ... Bricktown is at a point where we as a community can afford to be demanding. It has to be a question of what matches. We're not just desperate for any type of development.”

NO! The last thing we need is an opening for "Hogan-like creep" into Bricktown proper. There should absolutely be no "Lower Bricktown" designs on Main Street. If they want to build a Holiday Inn Express then let them make it the coolest one in the nation in a renovated warehouse that would fit with Bricktown - or find someplace else. I would be very much opposed to tearing down the old Steffen's Ice Cream Plant for a modern mini-hotel under any circumstances.

I think it's worth pasting Bob Blackburn's points here about building a new Holiday Inn Express and losing another piece of historic Bricktown:

Bob Blackburn, executive director of the Oklahoma Historical Society, said determination of whether a building is historical goes beyond whether it's placed on the historic register. More than a quarter century ago it was Blackburn who was hired by original Bricktown developer Neal Horton to place several other buildings in the district on the list.

Blackburn said considerations include whether a property was associated with a historic person, event or architectural style and whether it has any national, state or local significance.

He said historic significance can be diminished if the building's appearance has been altered. But he also cautioned against considering the building without looking at its place in the overall district. He compared tearing down an old building to chipping away pieces of a mosaic mural.

"This building may not be important individually,” Blackburn said. "But like the Walnut Street bridge, which may not have been significant individually, it is part of the urban landscape that gives all the properties scale, texture and variety. And every piece you lose of that context, you're losing that texture and variety and overall of the district.”

Bricktown, he said, is special because it is a collection of historic buildings.

"Take enough pieces out of that mosaic and you lose your focus,” Blackburn said. "I'm not saying this is going to diminish the context of Bricktown ... but each time you chip away a little bit more at the overall fabric, it affects everything else."

3. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    If they want to build a Holiday Inn Express then let them make it the coolest one in the nation in a renovated warehouse that would fit with Bricktown
    Now, that would be a classy, for sure! I haven't finished "digesting" what I think about this except that 2 points are pretty clear in my mind: (1) The above ... that would be the best solution possible; (2) I'm wholly agreeing with the idea that a hotel offering $80-$100 rooms in the area would be a good thing. Figuring out how to blend (1) and (2) may be the solution, if that is possible. The blend may not be possible, though, I have no clue about the economics involved.

Ack! This is a terrible idea. More fake stucco. I don't have any problem with offering less expensive lodging choices, but not directly in Bricktown unless the hotel is either an existing structure or built to perfectly blend with an existing structure. That means all brick to me. Fake stucco is lower Bricktown, er Stuccotown, so let him build it south of Reno. The Hampton Inn is about all I can take. I've just sent Jim Cowan an e-mail about this. I'm sure one of these days I'm going to send enough to gain the reputation of a cranky crackpot, but I'm not willing to quietly stand by and let them ruin Bricktown.

5. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Here are 2 scans I just made from this morning's Oklahoman ... quality is not so hot but better images may be available ...

Steffen's Ice Cream in 1946

The proposed Holiday Inn Express

...bacause okc has a great track record when it comes to tearing down buildings to make room for holiday inn's?

-M (with apologies to doug for hot-linking one of his images)

7. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

oh no.. they tore that beautiful building down for a Holiday Inn!! That is a travesty.

The Ice Cream building doesn't have anywhere near the character of the above building ( does it still look like this?) , yet to tear it down for a Holiday Inn is something I'm not sure about.

I know we need more hotel rooms to progress as a convention city and tourist spot, especially if we get the NBA.

The renderings of the hotel look okay - it's not terrible and is an improvement over the current look of the ice cream building... is that all red stucco with brick corners?

It needs to be all brick.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

8. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    ...bacause okc has a great track record when it comes to tearing down buildings to make room for holiday inn's?

-M (with apologies to doug for hot-linking one of his images)
    No problem at all about linking, but the old courthouse was actually south of where the Holiday Inn came to be ... notice in this 1929 pic looking southwest showing Montgomery Wards construction that the courthouse was south of where the Holiday Inn came to be located. I don't recall the reason for the demise of the courthouse ... probably part of the Pei Plan demolition stuff, but I'm not sure.

Larger image at http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...anders034a.jpg

gotcha... it's pretty hard to tell exactly where stuff was compared to where everything is now. that montgoery ward construction pic is awesome! great find.

while i wouldn't swear on a stack as per the accuracy, i had always heard that the old courthouse had fallen into severe disrepair in its last years. instead of repairing it (or keeping in a state of repair, for that matter), the powers that be opted to let it be torn down. sad, really. i would have loved to have seen that building in person.

Quote Originally Posted by karried
    is that all red stucco with brick corners?
    that's what i was thinking, too... no cutting corners. it's gotta be all brick or it shouldn't be there.

-M

10. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

mmm, the Wards pic is contained in my blog post on Leo Sanders, Doug Dawgz Blog: The Leo Sanders Collection . The images in that post were all given to me by Norman Thompson, as he did with the Springlake pics. I'm very glad to have him as a benefactor, big time! There are other Wards pics in the post as well as several other buildings that Leo Sanders was involved with ... and they are all, indeed, very nice. Thanks again, Norman!

...so, am i understanding this right, doug? -M

12. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

You got it! It looks as though the jail part of the campus extended further east, into part of the current parking garage area, but the courthouse was located where you placed it.

This is ridiculous. I hope the urban design committee shoots this down. Avis Scaramucci, owner of Nonna's, expressed concern that the Hampton Inn would have stucco on the top 2 floors. At least that structure will be mostly brick.

It looks like a suburban Holiday Inn Express. Like one you'd find on Memorial Rd. I figured for Bricktown it would be mostly brick, but it doesn't appear that way from the picture. It looks all stucco except for the corners, which are brick.

I hate to say this, but it looks worse than most of Randy Hogan's buildings.

I'd rather they try to put the hotel inside the old Steffen's Building. Boy, that's a novel concept.
    It's the same thing Avis did when she built her Bricktown restaurant.

I hope the Bricktown Urban Design Committe doesn't make a mistake here.

I'm not oppsed to cheaper hotel rooms in Bricktown, but not at the expense of losing the area's charm.

I hope everyone will email them and express their disapproval.

You can email Jim Cowan at jcowan at bricktownokc.org

I'd also encourage you to also email Avis Scaramucci: avis at nonnas.com

I think it's funny they say that the proposed developer owns the Quality Inn Trade Winds at 1800 E. Reno. We don't want anything associated with that to locate in Bricktown. I should say BRICKtown.

Here's the email I sent to Avis:

Avis,

I saw the pictures of the proposed Holiday Inn Express in Bricktown.

I can't believe we'd even allow this structure to go up there. It's almost entirely stucco, with brick corners only. We need to stop what's going on in Lower Bricktown, aka Stuccotown....we need to demand that these buildings be mostly brick, just like we did with the Hampton Inn.

I think they need to go with either a mostly brick building. OR, here's a novel concept, why don't they locate the hotel within the old dairy building, like you located your restaurant in an old warehouse? I don't think we should demolish the old dairy building for this.

Patrick ****

17. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

For those of you who don't recall the application McDonald's submitted for a Bricktown restaurant last year (the last conflict at Bricktown Urban Design), I've posted the before and after sketches at OKC Central — Just another Blog.newsok.com weblog.
    -Steve

Why don't they develop one of the parking lots in Bricktown instead? And yes make it all BRICK. I'd like to see this further down Sheridan (the east end of Bricktown).

Not coincidently, that rendering looks an awful like Hogan's Centennial project, which I think is terrible in terms of architecture and materials used.

20. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Here's the email I sent to Avis:

Avis,

I saw the pictures of the proposed Holiday Inn Express in Bricktown.

I can't believe we'd even allow this structure to go up there. It's almost entirely stucco, with brick corners only. We need to stop what's going on in Lower Bricktown, aka Stuccotown....we need to demand that these buildings be mostly brick, just like we did with the Hampton Inn.

I think they need to go with either a mostly brick building. OR, here's a novel concept, why don't they locate the hotel within the old dairy building, like you located your restaurant in an old warehouse? I don't think we should demolish the old dairy building for this.

Patrick ****
    You could always narc them out to the folks building the Hampton Inn....They'd get ticked if somebody else didn't have to jump through the hoops they did...And they've probably got more horsepower than you.

21. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Steve makes a great point on his blog. Well, he poses it as a question, but I will answer it here. That rendering looks like a standard Holiday Inn Express. If McDonalds, Hampton Inn, etc. can all manage to build brick buildings in Bricktown, then these people should have to do the same. Even saying that, they shouldn't get to do this project. They should either have to use an existing building (there a few large empty buildings that could hold a hotel this size) or build on a parking lot. Haven't we torn down enough buildings??

22. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Steve makes a great point on his blog. Well, he poses it as a question, but I will answer it here. That rendering looks like a standard Holiday Inn Express. If McDonalds, Hampton Inn, etc. can all manage to build brick buildings in Bricktown, then these people should have to do the same. Even saying that, they shouldn't get to do this project. They should either have to use an existing building (there a few large empty buildings that could hold a hotel this size) or build on a parking lot. Haven't we torn down enough buildings??
    I don't think that is too much to ask.

EDIT: If anybody can find email address to any other members of the committee, please post them here.

23. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

I went to the Harkins yesterday afternoon and drove by the location. The circa 1946 pic in Steve's article had had the "white" sort of (but not very well) stripped off ... the building is in the block west of the new Police Station. It didn't impress me on first blush and, while I agree that destruction of older buildings needs to be done with care, were a ready, willing, and proper replacement in the wings, I doubt that removal of the older building would even be noticed since it's not really on the beaten path. This proposed building would add some nice depth to Bricktown on the north side and perhaps give life to its adjoining areas and, were this project to be 90&#37; or better "all brick," I'd favor it. The committee does need to insist on more brick, though, just like it did with McDonalds.

I was out and about yesterday and took a swing by the old Steffen's plant. I took a few pictures of the building and the buildings around it - I also took a short video for some perspective with the area.

I thought this (below) was interesting.
    On the front of the plant there is this one small part that, I am guessing, is a tip of the hat to the old all white Steffen's plant.

Directly across the street, to the south, is the Bricktown Mercantile.

To the SE is the Federal Corporation building.

To the SW is the Sherman building.

This video, while not the greatest quality (and shaky hands), shows a little perspective as to where the building is located and how the buildings around the Steffen's plant are all kept up well and definitely within "Bricktown standards."

Like Bob Blackburn, I still think tearing down another historic building in Bricktown is another lost piece of the charm of the district. After all, we're not re-creating a warehouse district - we've actually got one and each piece that disappears is gone forever. Like the others, the idea of less expensive rooms in Bricktown is appealing, but not at the expense of a tear down here.

25. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Very good pics and video, Solitude.

I think that you are overstating Bob Blackburn's remarks, though. If I recall correctly, he didn't advocate never replacing an old building with a newer one, just that, were that to happen, it shouldn't happen often and the decision should be made with great care so that the mosaic would be preserved. Did I misread?

As for the nearby buildings, the ones that I noticed (not only those you took pics of but some further west, as well (especially the small building on the south side of Main with brick arches in its design ... don't remember the name) were all good ... and much better than the one proposed to be replaced. But, that's just my opinion and opinions will vary.

Thread Information