Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Inn Express

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

It's been unoccupied for years, so it was definitely vacant in that photo. It's just one block north of Sheridan and therefore a good place to park and walk to the Brewery or elsewhere.

I actually really like the southern facade of that building. I like how there is lots of variation and interest in the brick.

If they tear it down in favor of new construction, everything possible should be done to make the new structure look like it's been there for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I actually really like the southern facade of that building. I like how there is lots of variation and interest in the brick.

If they tear it down in favor of new construction, everything possible should be done to make the new structure look like it's been there for quite a while.
    I agree on both points.

One way to definately make it stand out and look new is EIFS, which is not the direction things need to go in Bricktown.

If keeping the facade is cost prohibitive, how about the design committee insisting that the design be maintained or at least most of the detailed brickwork be duplicated on that exposure?

They could also use used brick to obtain a more period feel.

All the buildings around there are renovated brick structures. No matter how nice, a modern-looking structure is going to look very out of place at that location and detract from the character of the district -- especially since it will be taller and larger than most.

If not for cost, then why do brick and stucco seem to be the only two options for building exteriors in Bricktown? Is there no one around who has the expertise to work with the paneling surfaces or other modern options that have gained popularity around the world and in other U.S. cities?

Here are two holiday inn expresses from Europe:

Note the use of paneling here. Incorporating these types of resin/composite/metal board accents with brick structures would look cool in bricktown, I think. The blue glass might also be a nice contrast to the deep red of brick, as it is to the crimson paneling here:

Another interesting one:

I really like the second hotel posted above. Something like that would work. It has a very traditional feel, and yet there's a contemporary take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I really like the second hotel posted above. Something like that would work. It has a very traditional feel, and yet there's a contemporary take on it.

I agree, betts. The second picture would make for a perfect match with that lot in Bricktown. I was sorry to hear that the Steffen's building is unsalvagable, but something like this would fit nicely.

wsucougz: Thanks for finding and posting the pics. Nice finds.

7. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Very very nice, wsucoug, especially the 2nd image ... perfect!

8. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

I've always imagined Core to Shore having a look similar to that first rendering. Reminds me also of designs of some East Wharf buildings.

Isn't everything in Bricktown proper -- apart from the top two floors of the new Hampton Inn -- completely brick or painted brick?

And haven't all the newer buildings had a historic feel to them?

Everything except the ugly looking red painted parking garage next to the ballpark.

Yes, I think most will agree that garage is a monstrosity.

My point is that everything within that district is pretty much made of brick and is either old or has architectural elements that recall an earlier period -- like the ballpark.

I would not be in favor of bringing in modern-looking architecture within the Bricktown district. There is plenty of room for that in Lower BT and everywhere else... I'd really like to see BT proper keep the old-time feel to it. That's what makes it special in the first place.

I'm not talking about bringing in modern architecture such as what was pictured above in the first picture above, although I believe the 2nd, in red, would fit. I'm only suggesting bringing in other facade materials, some of which are commonly seen in more modern buildings, to combine with brick instead of the usual stucco.

Although I don't think it would be a stretch to incorporate some modern into bricktown, as long as it takes style cues from the past. Take something like this, for instance:

Yes, I think most will agree that garage is a monstrosity.

My point is that everything within that district is pretty much made of brick and is either old or has architectural elements that recall an earlier period -- like the ballpark.

I would not be in favor of bringing in modern-looking architecture within the Bricktown district. There is plenty of room for that in Lower BT and everywhere else... I'd really like to see BT proper keep the old-time feel to it. That's what makes it special in the first place.

Pete, Just so I am clear about your viewpoint, you don't like this design? Are you thinking more of something like this with the top "sliced off" and less glass in the corner entrance? Something like that - but toned down?

14. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

In many ways, modern architecture in the context of a historic district can actually help. By having the obviously new architecture in this context, it celebrates what is not new. It creates contrast and a distinction between old and new. Developers will never be able to replicate the look of the old warehouses. They will always look like cheap imitation. No matter how much brick ends up on the HIE, it will never look like the other brick warehouses. Just my $0.02.

Agreed, and at the risk of getting waaaay off point, I'm going to post some other examples that I think would look cool in Bricktown:

Proposed Denver infill:

If the white was red:

Pretty modern - a stretch?

As long as the red brick tie-in is there, I think we can get a lot more creative in Bricktown, to a point.

You make good points, cougar. The philosophical differences arise when Bricktown is placed in its historical context and not just the architecture. How far can you get away from Venice - in Venice? We have so little to actually preserve that introducing concepts that venture too far from the ambiance of the historical equation could completely destroy the cultural fabric going forward. To me, I like the design of the HIE in the picture in the post above (brick and glass corner entrance), but anything much more than that (more glass and modern design elements) may push it. Maybe the one I like pushes it. It's a tricky balance and one that deserves careful consideration.

17. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Exactly, Cougar.

Just so I am clear about your viewpoint, you don't like this design? Are you thinking more of something like this with the top "sliced off" and less glass in the corner entrance? Something like that - but toned down?
    No, I don't like it at all and think it would not be inappropriate for what is marketed as a historical district.

All the renderings shown would work well on the properties surrounding Bricktown but I think the relatively small area that constitutes the actual district should be developed/redeveloped with architecture that reflects that period.

I think this should be especially true when someone is proposing to tear down something that *is* historical. It would be a very bad trend to demolish authentic buildings in that area and replace with metal and reflective glass IMO.

It would be a very bad trend to demolish authentic buildings in that area and replace with metal and reflective glass IMO.
    I'm talking about pulling in different styles, preferably incorporating the existing structure. What about Nonna's? I think it's the best looking structure in Bricktown, and definitely has some flair to it, though I have no idea what it looked like before.

I guess my point is that not everything has to be: here's a box with some brick and some stucco, give or take a percentage of each. What about incorporating reclaimed brick or timers or hardwoods? anything outside of this narrow line of thinking.

Other cities have sensitive historic districts. The continuity of the district can be preserved in unique and interesting ways.

The holiday inn express design, anywhere near as-is, has 0 imagination, and would be another blown opportunity. So I ask, how many more of those can Bricktown withstand without adversely affecting the character and quality of the district?

20. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I'm talking about pulling in different styles, preferably incorporating the existing structure. What about Nonna's? I think it's the best looking structure in Bricktown, and definitely has some flair to it, though I have no idea what it looked like before.

I guess my point is that not everything has to be: here's a box with some brick and some stucco, give or take a percentage of each. What about incorporating reclaimed brick or timers or hardwoods? anything outside of this narrow line of thinking.

Other cities have sensitive historic districts. The continuity of the district can be preserved in unique and interesting ways.

The holiday inn express design, anywhere near as-is, has 0 imagination, and would be another blown opportunity. So I ask, how many more of those can Bricktown withstand without adversely affecting the character and quality of the district?
    Good point about Nonna's ...

Pretty cool warehouse, if you ask me! Maybe a New Orleans warehouse?

Here's a hotel my wife and I stayed at recently in Wichita's Old Town, which is similar to Bricktown, only with retail. They converted an old warehouse into a pretty classy hotel:

Hotel at Old Town -

22. Default Re: Holiday Inn Express

I think the Denver rendering is historical enough.

They should preserve the old facade and build the new hotel within the confines of the old facade.

Quote Originally Posted by jsenter View Post
    They should preserve the old facade and build the new hotel within the confines of the old facade.
    Agreed. Don't get me wrong, that's what I'd most like to see happen as well. It doesn't sound terribly promising, though.

Yes, the one Denver rendering would be the only one I would choose.

I love the other designs, just not for those few blocks in Bricktown.

Thread Information