Widgets Magazine

Thread: New local restaurant to open in CBD of downtown

Default New local restaurant to open in CBD of downtown

Restaurant set for street level of office building

February 6, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – After working in restaurants and hospitality for several years, one couple is planning to open a restaurant at a highly visible corner in downtown Oklahoma City.

Husband-and-wife team Basim Alhaj and Kiaya Carpenter plan to open the Olive Branch, serving mostly Mediterranean fare, in a ground-level spot of an office building at 1 N. Hudson Ave. The pair will also be joined by Alhaj’s father, Haj Mahmood Mohammd, who has also owned and managed restaurants over the years. Alhaj said he found the space downtown by accident about a month ago and was not thinking of his own restaurant venture.

The space was previously occupied by a restaurant called Abraham’s.“I was driving by and thought I’d just apply for a job and saw it was closed,” Alhaj said. “I saw the sign in the window and wrote down the information on leasing and just called.”

Alhaj had previously managed, cooked, and worked as a server at IHOP restaurants around Oklahoma City for about five years. Carpenter had also worked as a restaurant server for about five years. Now all three will run and manage the restaurant.

The space is about 2,500 square feet with windows facing south and east as well as large glass windows looking out into the building’s lobby. It has a built-in kitchen and seating for about 50 people. Alhaj said the décor was freshened up and new tables and chairs were added. Plans call for a buffet to be set up in one end of the dining room.The menu will feature gyros, kabobs, sandwiches and other items with an international flair.The restaurant will not serve alcohol.

Alhaj said with the highly visible location he hopes to draw lunch and dinner crowds from downtown. Carpenter said the restaurant also plans to offer catering and delivery in downtown.

The 1 N. Hudson building is owned by Nick Preftakes, who also owns the buildings along the block north of that building. Precor Ruffin oversees leasing at the 1 N. Hudson building. Rick Pritchett, with Precor Ruffin, handled the lease for the Olive Branch.

Pritchett said he looked for a restaurant tenant after Abraham’s vacated the space about six months ago.“It’s a natural fit for a restaurant user,” he said. The restaurant will join several nearby eateries including the Lunch Box and Coney Island. It is about two blocks south of the Museum Café. Pritchett said the restaurant will benefit from the foot traffic in that area of downtown and the experience the owners bring to the venture.“They’re young, their very aggressive, they’ve been in the business for a while and we felt really comfortable with it,” Pritchett said.

Default Re: New local restaurant to open in CBD of downtown

Congratulations! A downtown full of small, unique places is what make a city REALLY exciting and urban. I would love to see this as the beginning of a new wave of these types non-chain restaurants and stores that could help downtown OKC regain some of its former glory as THE place to be in town.

3. Default Re: New local restaurant to open in CBD of downtown

Yes, this is good news. I felt guilty that I never went to get an onion burger or a dog at the short-lived place that was last in that spot ... was originally on Western near McGuinness (sp?) but the property got bought by Chesapeake ... was that Abrahams, mentioned above? I don't recall the name but you probably do. Hope this one does well.

yes, that was Abrahams.

that's a bummer. Abrahams served a killer greasy burger at a great price, and was definitely an icon of Western before it got bulldozed by CHK. Abraham is a great guy, too. Hopefully he's made out all right.

6. Talking Re: New local restaurant to open in CBD of downtown

Quote Originally Posted by David Pollard View Post
    Congratulations! A downtown full of small, unique places is what make a city REALLY exciting and urban. I would love to see this as the beginning of a new wave of these types non-chain restaurants and stores that could help downtown OKC regain some of its former glory as THE place to be in town.
    HERE HERE!!!!

Keep 'em comin' OKC!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I remember in the early 80's there was a small Chinese place near city hall called, I believe, "Garlic Chicken". Or at least that is what they served and it was fantastic! Anyone know if it is still there? I live abroad but don't remember seeing it on my last visits.

any idea on when it is suppose to open?

It's open, not sure how long it's been open though:

Thread Information