Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: great restaurants past

Default Re: great restaurants past

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Remember how they dismantled Kodiak log by log and hauled it off to be re-assembled somewhere?
    I wonder how all that turned out . . .
    IIRC, it was purchased and relocated somewhere to be a personal residence???

Boscorama,
    I didn't remember the name of the company by I knew it was a business.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    CT, the Lincoln Adairs is still there, has been Standard Testing for many years now.

A few blocks north was a motel/hotel, The 89er Inn, with a ponderosa look about it. A friend's father managed the restaurant, or I'd have never had a burger by the pool there.

Ate at Shakey's in Guam in '89. Great pizza, piano player, corny jokes.

Prunepicker Guest

Does anyone remember the BBQ joint in Davenport, OK? It was a
    white house on the east side of route 66. Around 1967 it was
    moved across route 66 into a newer building.

One of you restaurant experts should start a new discussion topic titled .... "Restaurant, I can't believe you are still in business" or "Restaurants, You're still there?"

A couple come to mind, Elephant Bar and Ricky's Mexican Cafe. How are those two places still serving food?

At least one of the Ricky's isn't (the one that was on Memorial, across the street from Taco Bueno in an old Burger King

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    At least one of the Ricky's isn't (the one that was on Memorial, across the street from Taco Bueno in an old Burger King
    I was referring to the one on NE 23rd. How that place is open and many of the "great restaurants past" are closed is a mystery.

I agree. the Elephant Bar sounding interesting but there wasnt anything on the menu that appealed to me. My guess is it does to enough folks for it to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    wow, just read this thread for the first time and never even heard of a Shakey's Pizza in OKC. Must've been before my time? I then realized that this is the same Shakey's that I've visited in Japan and Hong Kong. Wow, wish it was still around in OKC; we loved that place! Always a great pizza whenever we were burnt out on Japanese/Chinese food.
    Think Pete posted over in another thread there used to be one along NW 39th. And the ROundup Pizza or whatever it is/was called over in Mid-Del on 29th was a former Shakeys (they even had one of their stained glass logo doors there that went to a back kitchen or storage room area. Not sure if they had other locations in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Does anyone remember the BBQ joint in Davenport, OK? It was a
    white house on the east side of route 66. Around 1967 it was
    moved across route 66 into a newer building.
    Dan's? If so, it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Think Pete posted over in another thread there used to be one along NW 39th. And the ROundup Pizza or whatever it is/was called over in Mid-Del on 29th was a former Shakeys (they even had one of their stained glass logo doors there that went to a back kitchen or storage room area. Not sure if they had other locations in the metro.

I could be wrong because it's been quite a few years but I seem to remember going to a Shakeys on North May.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    One of you restaurant experts should start a new discussion topic titled,
    "Restaurant, I can't believe you are still in business" or "Restaurants,
    You're still there?"

A couple come to mind, Elephant Bar and Ricky's Mexican Cafe. How are
    those two places still serving food?
    Go to the top of the page and select Food and Restaurants. On that
    page select Post New Thread.

It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I could be wrong because it's been quite a few years but I seem to remember going to a Shakeys on North May.
    You may be right...wasn't there a place called Soda Pops or something like that where the Ford dealership is at May & I-44? Think that may have been a former Shakeys??? Also, I think there is a Soda Pops somewhere on southside still????

Soda Pops was a "clone" of Shotgun Sam's after they closed. There was one in the former Shotgun's location at Britton & May as well before Joker's went in there and they had one on 104th & Western I believe. I don't remember a Shakey's on that section of May, the one in that part of town that I remember was on 39th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Soda Pops was a "clone" of Shotgun Sam's after they closed. There was one in the former Shotgun's location at Britton & May as well before Joker's went in there and they had one on 104th & Western I believe. I don't remember a Shakey's on that section of May, the one in that part of town that I remember was on 39th Street.
    The May and I44 location is correct I think. That sounds very familiar. And, yes, there were other businesses in the same building after it closed.

Prunepicker Guest

Shakey's was on S. Western just north of S.W. 59th and on N.W.
    39th Expressway near where Jimmy's Eggs is now.

I remember the Western location vividly. It sets on the land where Auto Zone stands today. There was also a club called the Aztec that set behind Shakes and Auto Zone for years until they finally tore it down.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Shotgun Sam's was where David Stanley Ford is now. When I was a kid me and my family ate their on a pretty regular basis when we went to visit my grandparents on my mom's side. I miss that and Breakfast at Big Ed's on 32nd and May. After Big Ed's closed they place re-opened under another name. I remember the sign on the place read "Breakfast" in yellow and black.

Soda Pops is now at 119th and Western. It's burgers and diner food, no pizza is on the menu to my knowledge.

Prunepicker Guest

Shakey's would have an all you can eat pizza, fried chicken and
    potatoes buffet for $1.69.

Shakey's

I seem to recall a place on Nw expressway that was a maybe a orbit or a pizza planet that had similar pizza to shakeys.
    Neither of the topped shotgun sams btw.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Shotgun Sam's was where David Stanley Ford is now. When I was a kid me and my family ate their on a pretty regular basis when we went to visit my grandparents on my mom's side. I miss that and Breakfast at Big Ed's on 32nd and May. After Big Ed's closed they place re-opened under another name. I remember the sign on the place read "Breakfast" in yellow and black.

Soda Pops is now at 119th and Western. It's burgers and diner food, no pizza is on the menu to my knowledge.
    I know about the one at 39th & May, we pretty much went there every weekend when I was growing up. They also had the location at Britton & May and one on Northwest Highway (Loop 12) north of Love Field in Dallas that I went to, I know they had some other locations but never went to those. The Soda Pops that I and others are talking about was after Shotguns closed in the mid-80's, they served the same pizza recipe (at that time) but closed down the Britton location in the late-80's that I remember. Joker's moved from Lakeshore Mall to the building after that.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I seem to recall a place on Nw expressway that was a maybe a
    orbit or a pizza planet that had similar pizza to shakeys.
    Neither of the topped shotgun sams btw.
    Could it have been Ken's? It was just east of MacArthur on the
    south side of the road. I don't remember an Orbit on N.W.
    Expressway and I know you don't mean Mazzio's.

Shakey's thin crust was hard to beat. Come to think of it, thin
    crust may have been the only one. Thin crust is hard to beat.

Ken's was where Mazio's is now when I first started working at Hertz in 1973. We were at NW Expressway and MacArthur. Then, Ken's started their Mazio's brand and it changed to Mazio's sometime after 1980, possibly a little earlier. I wasn't a fan of either one so didn't stay up with it, but lot's of co-workers ate there at least weekly.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Could it have been Ken's? It was just east of MacArthur on the
    south side of the road. I don't remember an Orbit on N.W.
    Expressway and I know you don't mean Mazzio's.

Shakey's thin crust was hard to beat. Come to think of it, thin
    crust may have been the only one. Thin crust is hard to beat.
    No im quite sure it wasnt Kens...
    Im still thinking it was a pizza planet or a orbit but i was quite young and maybe its just my {bad}memory.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    No im quite sure it wasnt Kens...
    Im still thinking it was a pizza planet or a orbit but i was quite
    young and maybe its just my {bad}memory.
    This just in from the cobweb tangled brain of Prunie...

Was it My Pi? They used the Greek symbol for pie. It was
    close to the N.W. 63rd and N.W. Expressway intersection.

Thread Information