Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. Default Entire department at Dell fired today

    I just heard from a friend that the 300 people in the Consumer Dept. at Dell were fired today with no warning and told to pack their belongings and go.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    wow. any particular reason? -M

  3. Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    I don't know any details. Surely it will break on newsok soon.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    consolidation. 2 departments.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Typical big corporation. Laying people off at the drop of a hat.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    No doubt this rumor will be confirmed to be true, or proven to be false at some point in time. That aside, does anyone know how many jobs have been created and actually filled since the opening of the facility? Give or take 300.

  7. Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    oh that's horrible.... a little notice would have been nice..

    These people have children and families to take care of... plus, it's a horrible shock to be fired/laid off without advance warning.

    I don't think I'll buy a Dell again if this is how they treat their employees.

    I read that Yahoo will lay off 1000 workers.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

  8. Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    oh that's horrible.... a little notice would have been nice..

    These people have children and families to take care of... plus, it's a horrible shock to be fired/laid off without advance warning.

    I don't think I'll buy a Dell again if this is how they treat their employees.

    I read that Yahoo will lay off 1000 workers.
    I never understood how Yahoo! had many employees to begin with. It's not like they're generating much content. They just link Reuters and AP news, and what few products they have, there are a lot of other companies out there doing the same thing better.

    At least Dell has a tangible product with decent quality at a competitive price.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    More proof that the economy is in the crapper

  10. #10

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    bet the unemployment office is fun today.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    The econonmy in Oklahoma is doing fairly well, non skilled jobs are always the first on the chopping block.

    In today's job market you are crazy if you do not have a degree or some kind of fomal job training. If nothing else you at least need a dual background resume. That way if you lose your job you have something to fall back on.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Just posted on Newsok.com 10 percent lay off. Always wondered how bad is the economy when I see at least ten new cars being driven around. The malls still crowded on the weekends, same with restaurants. Which I learned in school that when ppl go out to eat it means they have some disposable income. But then again I haven't taken much in the way of economics classes. Sad for the Dell ppl.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Dell to lay off 10 percent of Oklahoma City workforce


    By Don Mecoy
    Business Writer


    Dell Inc. will lay off about 200 workers as it eliminates the consumer sales division at its Oklahoma City site.

    Dell Spokeswoman Kathy Oden-Hall declined to discuss employee numbers, but said the layoffs affect “a relative small percentage of our overall population.” After the layoffs, Dell’s employee numbers will “hover around 2,000; maybe a little more or a little less,” Oden-Hall said.

    Roy Williams, chairman of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, said about 10 percent of the local workforce was being laid off. Williams estimated about 200 people would lose their jobs.

    Dell briefed city and state officials about the changes, Oden-Hall said.

    “These decisions do not diminish the importance of Oklahoma City as a key strategic site for Dell,” Oden-Hall said. “All other business units located in Oklahoma City will continue operating and aligning their business to meet customer needs and business demands.’

    Dell’s business technical support unit will expand its operation in Oklahoma City, Oden-Hall said. Current members of the consumer technical support group will join the growing business technical support unit, Oden-Hall said.

    The moves are part of a company-wide global restructuring, she said

  14. #14

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    But, it's all for the good of the company and the share-holders.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Very unfortunate. You think they would have given their workers at least a month's warning or so to find new jobs. Oh well it could be worse. They've already closed centers in Oregon and Alberta recently.

    Just more proof that the economy is really sinking and no amount of rebates or on-the-fly rate cuts are going to help.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Now why would they give their employees a month's warning? That means they'd have to pay them for a month. Isn't it to the stock-holders' advantage that they terminate the employees immediately. It's all about profits, remember. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way big business works.
    They don't care about their employees, except for the productivity they can get out of them. And when they're not productive anymore, it's "see ya."

  17. #17

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    If I recall correctly from my human resources courses in college, a company that employs more than 500 people must give a significant amount of notice to its employees if it is going to close down an operation. How this affects a specific section of their workforce through a layoff is unclear to me. But seems like there certainly has to be a month or two of severance pay for these employees at the very least. I had a friend who worked for AOL and was laid off; he received a nice severance. Now, he is among those in this round of layoffs at Dell. So unfortunate.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Typical call center to fire a mass of employees without warning. I used to work for AOL here a few years back and not too long after I left they let go a whole department. A few years later they shut down the whole place. When I was there there were almost 3000 employees. That's why the city needs to quit going after call centers. Yes, they do pay decent (better paying for the types of people that work there, non graduates, students, blue collar), but they sure are pivotal on a good economy. Sad to see this happen.

    What's even more sad is that Dell's spokeswoman, apparently doesn't know how many employees they had before and after this. Shouldn't a MAJOR US COMPANY and the managers over each dept. or site know approximately how many employees they have, if not exact? ( I know they hire frequently) but a manager should have a close figure.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Dell to lay off 10 percent of Oklahoma City workforce


    By Don Mecoy
    Business Writer


    Dell Inc. will lay off about 200 workers as it eliminates the consumer sales division at its Oklahoma City site.

    Dell Spokeswoman Kathy Oden-Hall declined to discuss employee numbers, but said the layoffs affect “a relative small percentage of our overall population.” After the layoffs, Dell’s employee numbers will “hover around 2,000; maybe a little more or a little less,” Oden-Hall said.

    Roy Williams, chairman of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, said about 10 percent of the local workforce was being laid off. Williams estimated about 200 people would lose their jobs.

    Dell briefed city and state officials about the changes, Oden-Hall said.

    “These decisions do not diminish the importance of Oklahoma City as a key strategic site for Dell,” Oden-Hall said. “All other business units located in Oklahoma City will continue operating and aligning their business to meet customer needs and business demands.’

    Dell’s business technical support unit will expand its operation in Oklahoma City, Oden-Hall said. Current members of the consumer technical support group will join the growing business technical support unit, Oden-Hall said.

    The moves are part of a company-wide global restructuring, she said
    This is just another case of we the taxpayers being screwed once again by corporate America. Dell's spokesperson states that after these 200 layoffs that their workforce will "hover" around 2,000 jobs. Therefore prior to the layoff they (Dell) employed around 2,200. Yet, when Dell approached our City leaders with their hands out asking for "Economic Development Incentives" of Millions and Millions of our tax dollars, which they recieved, they promised our City 3,500 jobs. For those who will say that I'm anti-business I'm not. But I am against the businesses not fullfilling their commentments after we've upheld ours.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    In today's job market you are crazy if you do not have a degree or some kind of fomal job training.
    Not picking on you, but a lot of those people probably do have college degrees; there are a ton of them in these call center environments in OKC.

    IBM also had a large layoff recently that affected several Oklahomans. IBM has been steadily offshoring its white collar job base.

    Don't think for a minute that these large corporations aren't looking for ways to cut out high-paid, high-skilled white collar workers for lower paid peons overseas (with just as much education).

    If you allow yourself to believe that you're "high skilled" and immune to such layoffs, you're not paying attention.

  21. Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    The Dell layoff has been coming for months. When I bowed out at the end of last year, you could tell. I wasn't part of the consumer portion, instead in one of the business divisions, but word spreads pretty fast amongst the "little people." For my position a person was expected to gross anywhere from 50 to 90K a year. Once the bonus cuts came, that hit people by up to 20-30K a year. Then with the jacking around of commissions and who gets paid for what, that really stressed people even more. Unfortunately it is an operation to where you don't know what you'll get paid on the next month. Then you have employees structuring sales a certain way to make sure they get paid more, while screwing over a co-worker.

    The writing has been on the wall for awhile though. Building C was suppose to be built already - it was removed from the planning stages before I left. Improvements to the center courtyard were stopped...so you are left with the grass and brick (and a few tables).

    The situation sucks...unexpected? Nope. I don't see them shutting the facility down...but the dream of a nice campus with 3 to 7 buildings is long gone. I left and haven't looked back even though I had a lot of good friends there. The company didn't treat me that badly, but I did feel stiffed on a few occassions - but who doesn't? Not to mention that for those of us who were quarterly and never got our quotas until 6-8 weeks into the quarter, you lose a little bit of trust on just how exactly you were getting paid.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    This is just another case of we the taxpayers being screwed once again by corporate America. Dell's spokesperson states that after these 200 layoffs that their workforce will "hover" around 2,000 jobs. Therefore prior to the layoff they (Dell) employed around 2,200. Yet, when Dell approached our City leaders with their hands out asking for "Economic Development Incentives" of Millions and Millions of our tax dollars, which they recieved, they promised our City 3,500 jobs. For those who will say that I'm anti-business I'm not. But I am against the businesses not fullfilling their commentments after we've upheld ours.
    I agree, Andy. Typical though. Very typical.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    It's inevitable that the whole place will shut down. With Dell now moving away from phone sales, and getting into big box retailers, it's only time that those beautiful buildings will be empty. It's sad for the city, and mostly for the employees.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I never understood how Yahoo! had many employees to begin with. It's not like they're generating much content. They just link Reuters and AP news, and what few products they have, there are a lot of other companies out there doing the same thing better.

    At least Dell has a tangible product with decent quality at a competitive price.
    I imagine yahoo has more than you know...same with GOOG..it seems weird that they all stay in business, but Yahoo has made some decent acquisitions...flickr for one..

  25. Default Re: Entire department at Dell fired today

    Well to say the Dell OKC facility will shut down is a little over the top. When I was there, there were about 20 some departments in OKC. Anything from consumer sales, consumer tech, XPS support, small biz, mid market sales, resellers, and large corporate accounts. My department had people that delt with account sets that did around $15-30 million a year in sales for Dell - per account team (3 people). So the point there...don't generalize this as just another call center with cheap labor. The jobs lost were consumer yes, but there is more there than just them.

    Now the move from Dell into retailers which they must do to survive against HP...is going to hit the consumer and small business side of the business. That makes up a lot of the people there, but not all. It will be interesting to see how it is balanced it with tech support type job moving in, even inside IT jobs that aren't your typical tech support type calls. Also, how much of the Small Biz and Mid Market accounts they want to move up here from Austin.

    I would not be shocked to see them close up floors of Building B there and consolidate into one building should they need to continue to cut back.

    As far as Yahoo and Google. What people need to remember these companies are more than just search engines. Yahoo is a MAJOR internet service provider in Asia. Both them of also are responsible for providing a ton of data and information for the public. The server farms that these company are massive and employee a good number of people - including the one in Northeast Oklahoma. Also these companies have ton of other IT projects they develop behind the scenes that we don't see. They all have products...but a lot we don't see like the online shopping portals and services. Yahoo's store fronts are massive in number and bring in a ton of revenue. Google's shopping engine (formerly Froogle) and their new Google Checkout service which is going to be much more cost effective for small businesses than typical credit card merchant accounts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dell to be completed with TIF funds
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM
  2. Dell Updates
    By mranderson in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
  3. State to buy Dell computers
    By Keith in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 10:18 PM
  4. What do you think about the Dell site?
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. Dell's selection of OKC
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 11:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO