Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Street vendors in OKC?

Default Street vendors in OKC?

Are there any street vendors in or allowed in downtown? I'm interested in starting up a hot dog vending service for around the courthouse and downtown areas.

2. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

That would be really cool and I think would do well.

Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

I think there are some in bricktown but I've never heard of that downtown. I think it would be cool as well but there has to be some reason no one has ever done it (ie, rules against it?)

4. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

Please do this. That would rock.

5. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

I live in the Park Harvey. I would support it, even though I don't like hot dogs. Maybe you could have soft pretzels too?

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdavies View Post
    Are there any street vendors in or allowed in downtown? I'm interested in starting up a hot dog vending service for around the courthouse and downtown areas.
    PLEASEEEEEEEE do this. None that I've ever seen (except special occasions) do this in the CBD. There is a HOT DOG street vendor that operates in Bricktown on nights, weekends and special occasions. I think several street vendors would do really well in the CBD (Central Business District aka the heart of downtown). Heck, I will make sure I support you at least once a week. I've thought about doing the same but it's not really my gig. With all the workers downtown already (40,000+), and with all the new housing opening up, and businesses planning to relocate downtown or add workforce downtown, its really a no brainer. Please let us know more if you decide to do this. I'd also like to see some street newspaper/magazine type vendors.

Oh, if I remember right, I think the process is actually simple. Just pay your small fee and get your stand inspected and pay like a nominal fee to the city for a permit to sell on the streets (I think it's $40) and your good to go.

Great idea! I am sure Metro is right, a pretty simple process. Not allowing street vendors in an urban downtown would disqualify such city from being a city, imo.

8. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

I would love to see one of those green newsstands on the Chase plaza or somewhere else with wide sidewalks and high daytime traffic.

To vend in Bricktown you need to get a Permit through the Parks Department. I'm not certain about getting a general vendor permit for other parts of the City.

Well thanks for the support I will try to get the ball rolling. Any ideas on condiments??? I'm excited, looking up carts now. Just need to get everything together.

11. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

Chili, cheese, sourkraut, onions,...this is Oklahoma you know.

jbrown's idea about adding hot pretzels is a pretty darn good idea.

13. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

Chefdavies, as for the dogs themselves, for me, "simple is good." Some of the best (and least expensive) are to be found in that small old coney shop on Main & Walker (I think that's the location). Lots and lots of onions is a must! And lots of napkins.

Good luck with this! Sounds like a great project!

Wheels are in motion. Stayed up most of the night researching this project. As a chef I will even make some specialty dogs, ie sooner dog, cowboy dog. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Bar-S, and Nathan's. My goal would be to eventually make my own hot dogs and sausages. Thanks for the support, and hopefully by march "Davies Dogs" will be on your corner serving you a great dog with a smile!!!

15. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

Wow...you go chef.

16. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

Actually, there has been a hot dog vendor in the past just north of the interurban restaurant. Not every day, but off and on. Ate one once during the Famer's market they hold on Wednesdays (I think that's the day of the week).

If you do this - You've gotta get Flint Michigan hot dogs, they taste like nothing you've had before. LOVE THEM!

I like the idea of having out of state products but I kinda would like to keep it "oklahoma." But, things may change.

18. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

I liked your idea of keeping the dogs local personally.

Good idea, and a contribution to dining and urban life in OKC! I think the area on the west side of downtown that you are considering is perfect for this type of thing- near Park Harvey and Legacy, near the library, near the government buildings... Lots of people who want a quick snack to fill them up and get back to work will find your stand very convenient.

19. Default Re: Street vendors in OKC?

A ton of people work in Oklahoma Tower right there next to the library, and Leadership Square is a block away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdavies View Post
    Wheels are in motion. Stayed up most of the night researching this project. As a chef I will even make some specialty dogs, ie sooner dog, cowboy dog. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Bar-S, and Nathan's. My goal would be to eventually make my own hot dogs and sausages. Thanks for the support, and hopefully by march "Davies Dogs" will be on your corner serving you a great dog with a smile!!!
    Please go with Nathans if you can, far better quality than Bar-S, even though I love supporting Oklahoma companies, the quality just doesn't compare. Definitely have some hot pretzels and canned sodas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Please go with Nathans if you can, far better quality than Bar-S, even though I love supporting Oklahoma companies, the quality just doesn't compare. Definitely have some hot pretzels and canned sodas as well.
    I agree with Metro. No comparison between Bar-S and Nathan's. If you want to sell hot dogs, you're going to sell a hell of a lot more using Nathans than Bar-S. Business is business. I still like the hot pretzel idea - and canned sodas, well, that makes it complete. Good luck! Would you want to begin this Spring?

how bout a bobos in bricktown? Bobos rules....

when people come to okc for the first time, we go pick up bobos and eat it on the capitol steps....its a near spiritual experience!

I took my ol girl Bat-or from Tel Aviv, no lie, she said the place reminded her of home...

I love the idea of having street vendors. I especially like the idea someone had about having soft pretzels. I work in the Robinson Renaissance building and would probably stop at least once a week. Just do not make the food reheated Sams food, if I want that I will go the Sams food court.

If you go the Nathan's or Hebrew National route, I'm sure you'd be able to get one of their spiffy umbrellas for your cart, which would be great advertising. I'd be much more willing to grab a bite at a stand with one of those umbrellas overhead.

I'll be doing all my research today. Waiting to hear back on my cart options. Its looking like prices will be somewhere around 1.50(dog with condiments), 2.00specialty dog( grilled onions, medley of peppers, sauerkraut, etc). Will offer pretzels w/ cheese, and canned sodas. My overall plan would be to own 2-3 carts and service many city blocks. So no person has to walk a long ways for a snack. If everything falls into place, I would also like to open 2 newspaper stands like you see in new york and boston. My feeling is OKC wants to have the big city feel, with all the downtown living now and events its time we come in with the little things that add to the city. If I can add to the growth of OKC i'll be happy. I'm not looking to make money just add to the city.

Thread Information