Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Default OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

This pi$$es me off and I am not even affected. OG&E and PSO are seeking a rate hike to recover losses from the ice storm before their customers even have electricity restored. I love the quote from one of the spokespersons saying they budget for storms but this is worse than they can plan for. It is called business interuption insurance - maybe they should look into it. Don't even get me started on why the lines aren't buried as mentioned in another post.

The Journal Record - Article

Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Yep -- why should we have to suffer for their poor decisions?

Actually Midtowner - you and their other customers are suffering right now for the bad decisions. You just get to pay for it later.

I'm sure glad that since we deregulated the utilities I can just cancel my service with OG&E and go with a competitor who knows what they are doing. It doesn't work that way? Doh!

Los Angeles just went through all this during the Summer. They found a way to fund ages-old infrastructure problems that involved countless public meetings and proposals from the public. The common-sense results can be read here: LADWP Rate Proposals. Los Angeles is the largest municipally owned power company in the nation. The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power puts its "profits" back into the general fund of the city. No tax money is ever spent and the board is appointed and overseen by the Mayor and City Council. Ultimately, when there are problems, the City Council is held responsible. But there are no private lobbyists pushing and buying candidates to hold ratepayers hostage to the whims of a private corporation. The people are actually involved (imagine that!). It's a hell of a lot better than sending a few executives to sway (or buy) a few members of a "Corporation Commission."

It really suprises me how many people are shaking the finger of blame at OG&E and the other power providers.

When are the people of Oklahoma going to step up and share the blame for this mess. We all know Oklahoma is a disaster prone state but yet we all run around like idiots every time one strikes. Do we prepare? No. Do we have a contigency plan if the disaster lands at our house? No. Can we change that? Yes.

For starters, it is not a bad idea to stay stocked up on non-perishable food and bottled water. It never hurts to have a working arangement with friends and family just in case you or they need a place to stay.

All of us should have a survival kit that at least contains water, flash lights, a radio, blankets a first aid kit and a basic change of clothes. (IE:shirt, jeans, socks, underwear, towel and shoes) and the basic tolietries.

I am really suprised more people do not own generators in this state. When I lived in Louisana everybody had one or had to access to one.
    If I was a home builder I would have it as an option on every house I built. You can get a good system for the price of a good used car.

Disasters are nothing new to this state. I think we need a proactive approach that will encourage everyone (utilities and citizens) to be ready for the next one.

The reason for the finger-pointing is because this doesn't have to happen! Above-ground power lines in 2007 in a state that gets hit by ice storms in the Winter and by high winds and thunderstorms in the Summer makes no sense. Your post about preparedness was very good and should be heeded, but it needs to be separated from the issue of OG&E's taking heat for prior wasteful spending, running to the state for approval for rate hikes every storm - and poor decisions. We can move into the 21st century with buried lines and still be prepared for disasters.

8. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

There is no question that the lines should have been and now need to be buried. Ours are underground, we had power all week. Didn't lose it once.

I think this is the way it works. The cost of our developments ( newer ) and homes cost more than the older developments.

We paid for some of the concrete, the utility work, easements and street development through the increased price of our homes or property taxes. The developer passed along the price of burying the lines to the consumer ( unless the city covered it, I'm not sure about that).

And now, we'll get hit again and pay for all of the older homes through our increased OGE bills.

But, it needs to be done. It's archaic, ugly and very dangerous.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

9. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Talking about preparedness, I have one of those handy-man type neighbors who is good with mechanical stuff. He had his generator on for two days, living in luxury, while the rest of the block sat in Siberian desolation.

Anyway, I say let OG&E pay for their problems with their own money. They make lots of profit. Let them feel some pain and maybe they'll figure out a way to fix some of these things. But then again, that might cheat their management people out of their fat raises, and we couldn't have that, could we?

Maybe they should only bill the people that lost power and prorate it by the number of hours they were without power. The long you were without power the more you have to pay. After all, the rate increase is to make up for lost revenue. Sounds fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    There is no question that the lines should have been and now need to be buried. Ours are underground, we had power all week. Didn't lose it once.

I think this is the way it works. The cost of our developments ( newer ) and homes cost more than the older developments.

We paid for some of the concrete, the utility work, easements and street development through the increased price of our homes or property taxes. The developer passed along the price of burying the lines to the consumer ( unless the city covered it, I'm not sure about that).

And now, we'll get hit again and pay for all of the older homes through our increased OGE bills.

But, it needs to be done. It's archaic, ugly and very dangerous.
    But at the same time, many of us inner city people are paying taxes to build roads and utilities (water, sewer, etc.) in the middle of nowhere because some lame developer wants to build a development out in the country, instead of urban infill (there are many square miles of undeveloped land in the heart of the city).

12. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    But at the same time, many of us inner city people are paying taxes to build roads and utilities (water, sewer, etc.) in the middle of nowhere because some lame developer wants to build a development out in the country, instead of urban infill (there are many square miles of undeveloped land in the heart of the city).
    I also pay taxes that pay for public school system when I don't have children.

*shrugs*

13. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Maybe so, but without 'taxes' paid by all the people 'out in the middle of nowhere' allocated towards Bricktown and Downtown improvements ie MAPS, there would be no 'inner city' development happening...

The 'lame' developers build homes based on demand. You'd be surprised at how many people don't want to be on top or or below their neighbors. Some people enjoy wide open spaces and acreages. Many are willing to pay premium prices for land and open space.

Developers take on the brunt of the improvements which in turn pass to the consumer.. I doubt your taxes went to any 'out in the boonies' development.

Point being, we all pay taxes towards things that may not be directly beneficial to our current situation but hopefully, it all works out for the greater good and benefits us all in the end.

Personally, I hate overhead wires and don't mind paying a little extra to get rid of those and to prevent people from suffering in situations such as these.

14. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Bad timing on OG&E's part.

Now as far as underground/aboveground stuff...I've been without power since Sunday night, oh yeah...my power lines are all below ground in the neighborhood. However we are the last little block in the subdivision without power - how that happened is beyond me.

I say anyone without underground lines gets to pay for everything...since I'm sure it is someone down the grid with an above line that is screwing us over here.

Maybe so, but without 'taxes' paid by all the people 'out in the middle of nowhere' allocated towards Bricktown and Downtown improvements ie MAPS, there would be no 'inner city' development happening...

The 'lame' developers build homes based on demand. You'd be surprised at how many people don't want to be on top or or below their neighbors. Some people enjoy wide open spaces and acreages. Many are willing to pay premium prices for land and open space.

Developers take on the brunt of the improvements which in turn pass to the consumer.. I doubt your taxes went to any 'out in the boonies' development.

Point being, we all pay taxes towards things that may not be directly beneficial to our current situation but hopefully, it all works out for the greater good and benefits us all in the end.

Personally, I hate overhead wires and don't mind paying a little extra to get rid of those and to prevent people from suffering in situations such as these.
    Karried, see the Proposition 1 from the bond election the other day. We just authorized the city to take out around half a billion dollars in loans to pay for the widening of streets in the far northwest quadrant of the city -- the "boonies" as metro rightly referred to it.

Yes, the commercials said that we'd be able to do all this without raising taxes... what a stupid lie. How does a city take on (by my simple math) over 3 billion dollars in debt (that's the bond plus the interest we'll pay on it) and not raise taxes? While the city ain't gonna raise taxes, it sure as heck ain't lowering taxes either. The debt service on these bonds will be absolutely suffocating.

So yes, those of us in the inner city who live in high density housing (and pay a premium to do so) are being taxed so that fat cat developers can get fatter building things out in the boonies with us taxpayers footing the bill for infrastructure (be it by TIF or straight out bond).

I agree with metro.

And the real community spirit of Oklahoma rears it's ugly head.

Thanks for comin' out.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Karried, see the Proposition 1 from the bond election the other day. We just authorized the city to take out around half a billion dollars in loans to pay for the widening of streets in the far northwest quadrant of the city -- the "boonies" as metro rightly referred to it.

Yes, the commercials said that we'd be able to do all this without raising taxes... what a stupid lie. How does a city take on (by my simple math) over 3 billion dollars in debt (that's the bond plus the interest we'll pay on it) and not raise taxes? While the city ain't gonna raise taxes, it sure as heck ain't lowering taxes either. The debt service on these bonds will be absolutely suffocating.

So yes, those of us in the inner city who live in high density housing (and pay a premium to do so) are being taxed so that fat cat developers can get fatter building things out in the boonies with us taxpayers footing the bill for infrastructure (be it by TIF or straight out bond).

I agree with metro.
    Because as everyone knows, nobody who lives in the boonies pays any taxes whatsoever. We never pay taxes on the property we own and we never even pay sales taxes on things we buy. Ahhh, life is good in suburbia.

LOL. The community spirit indeed. It's all about helping your neighbors until money is involved. Then the screw you attitude comes out.

I say we all just join the Aqua Net (hairspray) campaign. Put a nice big hole in the ozone over oklahoma and we won't have to worry about being frozen again.

19. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

You guys crying about "urban sprawl" kill me sometimes. You want to live down there, you go right ahead. But don't act like I'm a bad person for liking the burbs. I don't work downtown, I don't want to work downtown. So kiss my grits. Oh, and hey....Guess what? I pay taxes for downtown projects that fat-cat developers are making a crapload of money on just like you're paying for stuff in my area, so that's a wash and once again, kiss my grits.

I don't work down there, I don't live down there. But I hardly think less of people wanting to develop it or live there, much less piss and moan about their lifestyle. Get over yourself and STFU about people wanting to live where it makes them comfortable. If everybody lived to your standards, the world would suck. Just like it would if everybody lived to mine.

/my world would rock though...Lots of pie.

20. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

I know Midtowner.... like I said above... I don't mind an increase in OGE for myself if it means we can take care of the problem of overhead wires.

I was responding to Metro who had turned it into suburb vs inner city tax rivalry which wasn't even the point to begin with.

I was comparing older developments to new. Not inner city to burbs.

I said:

We paid for some of the concrete, the utility work, easements and street development through the increased price of our homes
    He said:

?????

21. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

My frustration with OG&E here is that they just want to push their costs off onto their customers any time something happens. Just like how they wanted customers to pay for the power plant.

Stuff like this storm is part of doing business in their field of work. It's the risk they take in providing that service. It's the same as something like a taxi. The taxi driver has a higher risk of having an accident. When they have an accident, they use insurance to pay for the damages...that's what it's for!!!! They don't raise their rates to make up for repairing a vehicle!!!! So OG&E needs to be responsible for their own costs without charging it's customers. Get some damned insurance like you should have had for decades already, and let them handle it. It's kind of the whole effing point of insurance!!!!

Another thing that is pissing me off is that here we are all this time later, and some places are continuing to lose power. I won't blame them for trees or limbs or anything out of their control. What I will blame them for is shotty work. They are making patches instead of correctly repairing something, and then circuits are overloaded, things pop and even more people are out of electricity. Then we are supposed to help cover their asses!!! I DONT THINK SO!

My ideal world....cover my roof with solar panels or stick a wind mill in my yard and get off the grid so the jerkfaces never have control of me again. One day when this type of technology really becomes feasible for the common man, you're going to see people drop off the grid like crazy. Funny how if people weren't so angry with the electric company all the time, we wouldnt want to be off the grid....hmmmmm.

OG&E doing everything they can to get "certain people's" power back on.

I live in a mobile home park in Midwest City. I was informed by our mobile home park manager that OG&E was in our park on Monday to restore our power. But since we had 7 transformers blown and a few power lines down that we were moved to the bottom of the list and it will take 10 to 15 days now before we will get power. So if you have blown transformers it will take extra time.

I know a lot of people are without power, but I think that this is crap. If OG&E is in the area they should fix the problem then move on.

Otis

23. Default Re: OG&E/PSO seeks rate increase for storm losses

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    One day when this type of technology really becomes feasible for the common man, you're going to see people drop off the grid like crazy.
    Can't you do this now? My father built a house in the middle of nowhere and originally was going to generate his own power, but in the end he ended up bringing in electric company power to the land. I thought there were lots of hippies that are already doing this? I love the hippies, I come from one Bottom line is that "the grid" is easier and even though everyone wants to complain they sure as hell aren't going to put in the effort it takes to be self sufficient either. I'm Kelly Ogle, and that's my two cents.

I know Midtowner.... like I said above... I don't mind an increase in OGE for myself if it means we can take care of the problem of overhead wires.

I was responding to Metro who had turned it into suburb vs inner city tax rivalry which wasn't even the point to begin with.

I was comparing older developments to new. Not inner city to burbs.

I said:

He said:

?????
    How did I turn it into a rivalry? I simply added to your comments to put it into perspective. I think you and Oh Gawd said it nicely (perhaps you better than Oh Gawd) but you still get my point. You pay for stuff us inner city people get advantage of, and us inner city people pay for stuff you get advantage of. It equals out in the long run, it's just not healthy for a city our size to be so sprawled out (that's why we're the fattest in the nation (not enough parks and sidewalks but sprawl causes more fast food restaurants, and we complain about our roads and bridges, because we're so large landwise 620 sq. miles, over half of it fairly rural). I wasn't starting a rivalry, just stating another side of the story. Sounds win win to me. The only thing is MAPS was publically voted upon and has attracted numerous jobs and other things to this city the whole city and state can take advantage of, the general tax rate is not always up to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Can't you do this now? My father built a house in the middle of nowhere and originally was going to generate his own power, but in the end he ended up bringing in electric company power to the land. I thought there were lots of hippies that are already doing this? I love the hippies, I come from one Bottom line is that "the grid" is easier and even though everyone wants to complain they sure as hell aren't going to put in the effort it takes to be self sufficient either. I'm Kelly Ogle, and that's my two cents.
    I'd love to go off the grid, and if I ever get money to build a house right, I'll go solar and install a grey water system as well. The main thing is, to go off the grid completely and to do it right, it costs $40-$60K. Most people who go off grid, still stay attached to the grid for backup or go on grid at night (and the lucky ones sell the excess power they produce back to the grid to their local utility company). I'd love to see Oklahoma become more progressive in green fuels like the West Coast. If we offered enough incentive for builders to do it, I bet we'd see it start to be done on a decent scale.

Thread Information