Widgets Magazine

Thread: BrewHaHa closing down

Default BrewHaHa closing down

BrewHaHa, the coffee shop located in Bricktown across from the Bricktown police station, will be closing. We visited there around 11pm this Saturday and nobody was there. We've been a few other times and it's completely deserted. I guess they'll stay open for a few more weeks and then close it up.They were gonna shut down a few weeks ago but they got some business due to students studying there for their final exams. I would expect that the new Starbucks coming in would make things even more difficult for them. Nevertheless, always sad to see a local business go under.

Default Re: BrewHaHa closing down

that's too bad, the owners go to my parents church

Yeah, sad to see it go under, it was probably the coolest coffee shop concept in downtown/Bricktown and one of the coolest in the metro. They had the giant video screen which was nice. Our church had lifegroups and singles groups meet there weekly as well. I think one factor that may have led to it's ultimate demise was its' location in Bricktown (kind of a back street and visitors probably never knew it was there) as well as they didn't really do any promotion/advertising like most failed concepts in Bricktown. On another note, I know at least one of the owners in BrewHaHa is a partner in the Red Pin bowling lounge, so he should do well there.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah, sad to see it go under, it was probably the coolest coffee shop concept in downtown/Bricktown and one of the coolest in the metro.
    Do you like it better than that other coffee shop, Uncommon Grounds? I've been to both and Uncommon Grounds seems to have more of a coffee shop feel to it.

Metro mentioned its location being on a side street. Was it where the old Drinkz was by chance? One thing I always thought that place needed was an old-fashioned neon sign that could be seen from east/west. The sign only facing north made it rather hidden. I'm also a sucker for those old signs, a very "urban" feel to them.

Speaking of Uncommon Grounds, anyone know what their hours are?

I think Uncommon Grounds is open like 7-9 on weekdays and 9-10 on weekends. As far as brewhaha, it was a nice looking place, but the coffee there was horrible. They never trained any of their baristas, and their beans were never fresh. Uncommon grounds is not the best in town (probably cafe bella or cocoflow), but the coffee is still pretty good. I think that's what might have killed Brewhaha. Hopefully Uncommon Grounds survives starbucks, because I believe Starbucks' entrance is conditioned upon there being no new coffee shops in BT.

8. Default Re: BrewHaHa closing down

Sorry, I put the wrong post here.
    Last edited by bandnerd; 12-10-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: posted in the wrong thread
    Still corrupting young minds

9. Default Re: BrewHaHa closing down

BrewHaHa was on main street, which is one block north of Sheridan across from the police station and down from Bricktown Burgers, another very off the beaten path business that's somehow survived.

Their myspace website announced that it closed February 2nd, exactly one year after it first opened.

I'm really sorry to see that. Although I have to admit I like some of the Starbuck's lattes, I hate the fact that they're opening always seems to coincide with a local coffee shop closing. But, I really believe that until we have more people living downtown, more hotels in that area, etc, it's going to be hard to keep something going that can only charge about $5 per item.

I've been told, although who knows what will happen, that there will be a coffee shop in Maywood park, right next to the little park with the sculpture. We'll see!

I haven't seen anything about the Bricktown Starbuck's specifically, but you've probably read that the company is going through a restructuring nationally and that some expansion plans have been put on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I haven't seen anything about the Bricktown Starbuck's specifically, but you've probably read that the company is going through a restructuring nationally and that some expansion plans have been put on hold.
    That's probably a good thing.... I am sure if a Starbucks opened in Bricktown that the city of Seattle would probably sue OKC for collusion.....

i'm not sure that i understand the "if" starbucks opens in bricktown... isn't the one on the ground floor of the centennial opened yet? -M

15. Default Re: BrewHaHa closing down

Yes, it has. I don't know where that "if" came from.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i'm not sure that i understand the "if" starbucks opens in bricktown... isn't the one on the ground floor of the centennial opened yet? -M
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yes, it has. I don't know where that "if" came from.
    oh, I was just running with it to make a joke.... apparently a bad one at that....

17. Default Re: BrewHaHa closing down

No your joke was good, it was the previous poster that seemed to think it hadn't opened yet.

are the apartments up stairs from BrewHaHa still renting?

Yup, there's one available.

who do I contact, i need to get in asap?

Check your pm.

Thread Information