Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Smart Show

1. Default The Smart Show

I've received this e-mail this evening:

On November 7, a daily web-travel series will be coming through Oklahoma City. It's one of many stops on a two month roadtrip, called The Smart Show. We're looking for suggestions on what's "smart" about Oklahoma City...something unusual and off-the beaten path. We'd love to get some insider tips on what makes the city so great.

We’re trying to get the word out as much as possible, so if you or your audience has any advice for us, you can email thesmartshow1@gmail.com or visit The Smart Show Driven by Holiday Inn Express and tell us where to go and what to see. We appreciate any wisdom you could impart.

Thanks!

Kati F. Sabatino
    If anyone has any quick suggestions (since 11/7 will be here in an hour and a half), feel free to reply to her address or post them here and I'll pass it along in an e-mail to her in the morning.

Default Re: The Smart Show

Little Saigon perhaps? The Paseo. Pops in Arcadia. The Stockyards. These are all things that pop into my head that they might find interesting. I can't think of anything really quirky and offbeat, off the top of my head.

3. Default Re: The Smart Show

Thanks, Bettsy ... I'd forgotten to add the Asian District ... I'm about ready to send her the following reply:

You said, "We're looking for suggestions on what's "smart" about Oklahoma City...something unusual and off-the beaten path. We'd love to get some insider tips on what makes the city so great."

Unusual and off-the beaten path ... compared to what? <grin>

1. Skyline. I'll begin with a picture I took of downtown's skyline at night this past month ... http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...07_skyline.jpg ... not really "unusual" but some might be surprised to find that Oklahoma City actually "has" a skyline at all! Okc's MSA is around 1.2M, also a surprise to some.

2. Really Unusual. The 1st thing that comes to mind with that definition is the 4-ton iconic soda pop bottle designed by award winning architect Rand Elliott. Located on old "Route 66" in a small town, Arcadia, immediately northeast of Oklahoma City, it is the eye-catcher for a soda-pop diner/gas station which claims to have the world's largest variety of soda pop from all over the world. It's website ( POPS: Landmark ) says,

"This sculptural take on a soda bottle and straw soars 66 ft. into the sky. Like a rocketship from another realm, it’s THE must-see Route 66 landmark, standing next to the space station with which it arrived. Each night as the sun sets on Arcadia, LED lights transform it into a dazzling light show of Times Square-quality luminosity. An infinite array of colors and patterns salute the world’s greatest variety of soda pop inside."

Here's a pic ... http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...338cf98bfa.jpg and here's a video during construction ... OklaTravelNet

Here's the story ... OKCBusiness - Oklahoma City Business News

2. The Oklahoma City Museum of Art ... Oklahoma City Museum of Art - More than a Museum ... may not be off-the beaten path but visitors to Oklahoma City may consider this fine downtown art museum to fall in the "unexpected" category. The "kernel" for the downtown museum which opened in 2002 was an old and vacant movie theater (the Centre) which was considered sufficiently worth saving (very nice art deco motif) to have some of its former self preserved and a $40M block-size museum constructed around it. Here's the story: History Of the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and here's it's website: Oklahoma City Museum of Art - More than a Museum

3. Water. People who are not familiar with Oklahoma City are surprised to find "water"as one of the city's features. The Oklahoma River is section of the North Canadian River which flows along the south side of the downtown area which was effectively "rebuilt" as part of the "M.A.P.S" (Metropolitan Area Projects) sales tax initiative which the City imposed on itself beginning in December 1993. What was once called, "The only river in the United States which needs to be mowed twice a year), the 7-8 mile stretch has become and is ever becoming a destination for all sorts of things "water." From it, Oklahoma City has become one of the nation's premier competitive rowing venues, recently hosting the "USA Rowing World Challenge," a pre-Beijing Olympics tune-up event which was part of the "Oklahoma Centennial Regatta Festival." The event's website is USA Rowing World Challenge - Oklahoma River 2007 ... some "nighttime" pics I took are in my blog post at Doug Dawgz Blog: Oklahoma Centennial Regatta . The facility which hosted the event is the Chesapeake Boathouse ... see http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...ver_8_06_c.jpg for a pic I took in August 2006. Three water taxis will soon (later this year) run the 7 mile course from downtown west to Meridian Avenue, transporting people from an area north of the Will Rogers World Airport to near downtown.

4. Bricktown. The old "Warehouse District" on the east side of downtown is ever becoming transformed into a (if not "the") main place Oklahoma Citians go to have fun, particularly at night. Downtown had come to "turn itself off" at 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and not be "open" on weekends at all. No more. In addition to restaurants and night clubs and movies and sports venues (Bricktown contains the "Bricktown Ballpark," home to Okc's Triple-A baseball team, and immediately west of Bricktown is the Ford Center which more-than-successfully hosted the NBA's New Orleans Hornets during its 2 year stint following Hurricane Katrina), Bricktown contains a popular water canal which generally runs east and west through the district. A blog post containing lots of pics is in an August 2007 article, Bricktown ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Cool Bricktown, Summer In The City . Bricktown's official website is here, Bricktown - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Dining, Shopping, Events .

5. The Paseo. This is an arts district located about 2 ½ miles north of downtown which has its origins in the late 1920s ... it calls itself Oklahoma City's 1st suburban shopping district but I think that might be a slight exaggeration! Much early, the area was called the "Spanish Village." See The Paseo Arts District and Paseo Historic Arts District . It is probably the place in Okc which is "home" to more local artists than anyplace else in these parts ... here's my "walking tour" of the 31st Paseo Arts Festival last May ... Doug Dawgz Blog: 2007 Paseo Arts Festival .

6. Little Flower Catholic Church. This small, out of the way, Catholic Church which was built about a mile south of downtown is a little "jewel" which remains "unknown" even to most people who live here. I've not yet done a blog article which includes this 1927 church located at 1125 S. Walker yet but one is in the works. I was allowed the courtesy of taking as many pics inside that I want about a month ago and you can see what I took at DougLoudenback/catholicchurches - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting ... the inside of this facility is stunningly beautiful. Here are two examples: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...10_2007_03.jpg and http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...10_2007_04.jpg . It was my 1st "inside" visit to this modest-on-the-outside church and I was knocked over by its beauty.

7. The Asian District. Out-of-towners are surprised to find that Oklahoma City has an energetic and thriving "Asian District" located about three miles northwest of downtown. Supplementing Okc's existing Asian community, the post-Vietnam era saw thousands of Vietnamese, Laotians, etc., immigrate to Oklahoma City. See this blog article for the "unknown" "Chinese Underground" which no longer exists ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District - The Underground ...
    this one for the contemporary story ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District Today ... The Story ... and this one for the contemporary pics ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District Today ... The Pics .

That's what I can come up with on short notice. I didn't include the "expected" ... National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum ... National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum ... the City's horse race/gambling facility, Remington Park, Remington Park Home ... and the National Stockyards which was established in 1910 ... see Doug Dawgz Blog: Stockyards City .

I hope this helps.

4. Default Re: The Smart Show

What about the tunnels?

5. Default Re: The Smart Show

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    What about the tunnels?
    That would have been good ... I forgot. Why don't you send this info to the link in the original post in this thread ... my e-mail to the lady is already gone.

6. Default Re: The Smart Show

That's exactly what I was just about to post... that is really unusual I think, underground tunnels.

Smart - Do we have a cool Omniplex Exhibit or maybe even mention our award winning zoo.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

7. Default Re: The Smart Show

I've sent another e-mail to the lady posting this thread ... since this "Smart Show" tour is supposed to happen TODAY! (would have been good to know about this sooner) I don't know how much time for checking they will have ... but I've post the link to this thread:

Kati,

Last night, I posted your request in Oklahoma City's main "talk" forum in this thread http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...mart-show.html and, now that I've sent you my main reply some other posters there are chiming in with things I didn't think to mention ... if you have time, you might check it out.

8. Default Re: The Smart Show

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    That would have been good ... I forgot. Why don't you send this info to the link in the original post in this thread ... my e-mail to the lady is already gone.
    I would Doug, except that I've not been in them in 20 years, and don't have the slightest idea how to get in them or what's there.

9. Default Re: The Smart Show

I've just taken a quick look at their "tour" area ... pretty neat ... The Smart Show Driven by Holiday Inn Express

It looks like stuff can be added by posters once a "tour city stop" has been added so anyone can chime in there, too, I think.

10. Default Re: The Smart Show

Okay, I emailed to the link above and told them to check out the tunnel.

FYI, the "tunnels" are called the UNDERGROUND. Also I can't believe no one mentioned the Oklahoma City National Memorial, Adventure District (including cowboy hall of fame), the Arts District, Automobile Alley, Capitol Hill (hispanic district), or MIDTOWN!!

12. Default Re: The Smart Show

Feel free to email them. thesmartshow1@gmail.com

This is what I sent and they sent back a thank you.

"Hi,

I am excited that you are making OKC a stop on your cross country trip. I noticed that Doug Loudenback has sent you some pertinent information. I would like to add an interesting feature of OKC that may have been overlooked.

The Underground Concourse Tunnel System. It is worth a inquiry as it is unique, something you won't find in every city!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma The Metro Concourse, named after its founder, Jack Conn, is an underground tunnel system connecting nearly all the downtown buildings in a 20-square-block area. The Concourse is one of the most extensive all-enclosed pedestrian systems in the country, extending three-quarters of a mile and connecting over 30 downtown buildings by tunnel or skyway. The original tunnel link was built in 1931 and the system was extended in the 1970s. Offices, shops, and restaurants line the Concourse system. *It is scheduled to undergo a $2 million renovation in 2006. Upon completion of the renovation, the plan calls for the Concourse to be renamed the Underground.

* The renovation has been started and possibly completed.

It's worth a look! Welcome to OKC!

Thank you, K "

13. Default Re: The Smart Show

By the way, thank you Doug for taking the time to write in and post it here.

I think it's a great compliment that someone thought of you to share ideas regarding the city in this manner!

Thanks Karried and Doug, Karried, the only thing is, they might not go see the Underground since you're post said the renovation has started and possibly completed, etc. It has been completed for awhile now and features a futuristic look, shops, retail, and an ever changing art gallery. I sent them more up to date information from Downtown OKC Inc's website. Looks like we need to update the Wikipedia.

15. Default Re: The Smart Show

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    FYI, the "tunnels" are called the UNDERGROUND. Also I can't believe no one mentioned the Oklahoma City National Memorial, Adventure District (including cowboy hall of fame), the Arts District, Automobile Alley, Capitol Hill (hispanic district), or MIDTOWN!!
    Well, then, my man, write an e-mail and do so yourself! Your the man!

16. Default Re: The Smart Show

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    By the way, thank you Doug for taking the time to write in and post it here.

I think it's a great compliment that someone thought of you to share ideas regarding the city in this manner!
    Thanks, Karrie! I did feel good about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Well, then, my man, write an e-mail and do so yourself! Your the man!
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Thanks Karried and Doug, Karried, the only thing is, they might not go see the Underground since you're post said the renovation has started and possibly completed, etc. It has been completed for awhile now and features a futuristic look, shops, retail, and an ever changing art gallery. I sent them more up to date information from Downtown OKC Inc's website. Looks like we need to update the Wikipedia.
    I did silly Doug. Read my post directly above yours, I sent them more up to date information. I still need to update the wikipedia when I get a chance though. Keep up the good work Doug, good post!

18. Default Re: The Smart Show

SILLY Doug? Actually, we posted at the same time ... but yours must have been a tad quicker!

19. Default Re: The Smart Show

Following up, I'm copying the following e-mail ... sounds like everyone should keep making suggestions here if you do so VERY quickly ...

Kati Sabatino wrote:

Hi Doug,

You’re amazing. These are exactly the kinds of suggestions and tips we were looking for. I also took a look at the comment thread on your blog, and have forwarded it to the whole team. To say they were excited is an understatement. The Smart Show will actually be in OK City today and tomorrow. Did you take a look at the episodes on the site? What do you think?

Honestly, I can’t thank you enough for your quick and detailed response. I’m sure Henry and Joan will be pleasantly surprised with what the discover in Oklahoma City. The new episodes will be posted tonight and tomorrow if you want to check it out. Thanks again-

Best, Kati

Thanks, Kati! You can talk to/at me "like that" anytime you want! :-)

Yes, I did check out the Smart Show tour ... I thought that it looked VERY nice in all particulars ... I very much enjoyed listening to and seeing the interview with the Houston gentleman (how cool was that, to be a direct descendant of the people who founded the city) ... I went ahead and registered there and look forward to following your very nice tour. I'm sure that I can safely and easily say that we Okies are very glad to be included!

A small correction ... the "thread" is not in "my" blog ... it is in an Okc based "talk" forum which focuses on Oklahoma City interests ... I'm just one of many members at www.okctalk.com ... it has a much wider audience than my Okc history blog, of that you may be sure!

Thanks again, Doug

PS: Since you are so nice to me with compliments, you can just call me "Doug Dawg"! :-)

20. Default Re: The Smart Show

I'm excited to see our episode!

Great job Doug.

21. Default Re: The Smart Show

So cool!

I wish we would have had just a few more days before they came! Can you imagine all the suggestions we could have gotten .. but I'm very excited anyway. The weather is beautiful! yes! Sunny skies, still some greenery around, shine, city, shine!

And not to sound like a kiss up, lol ....but I love staying at the Holiday Inn... honestly, they are the best value, extremely clean with a professional staff. We stayed in them across our last trip to Sandusky along the way and were always pleasantly surprised at the amenities and positive experience, so I'm very glad they are the one's sponsoring it!

The only bad thing about Holiday Inn sponsoring it are two things.

1.) HI is inconsistent with their properites. They are currently undergoing a 1 billion dollar makeover nationwide. I posted an article with the new design in another forum.

2.) They probably can't visit competitors such as the Skirvin Hilton or the Colcord Hotel which would also feature OKC in a positive light.

23. Default Re: The Smart Show

Respectfully, I suggest that this thread is about Okc items which the people putting together the "tour" might find interesting to include in the Holiday Inn Express Smart Show "tour," at least that was my intention when broadening the e-mail request sent to me to solicit ideas from this forum.

24. Default Re: The Smart Show

We've got plenty to show off in a 5 minute video without touching the Skirvin or the Colcord.

25. Default Re: The Smart Show

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    We've got plenty to show off in a 5 minute video without touching the Skirvin or the Colcord.
    Like me in a tutu dancing the dance of the Rat King on the roof of one of the boathouses?

I don't think that's what they're looking for.

Thread Information