Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Default Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I would like to know how everyone feels about he new immigration law that has recently passed. How do you think this will effect our economy, local businesses, etc...? What are the pros and cons of the new law?

2. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I think it's about damn time! Hopefully Oklahoma will set an example for action across the country.

3. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I think we should take it one step further and require everyone in America to go back through their family history and have to prove they got here legally or we all have to be sent back to our respective countries. Maybe we should just get rid of everyone and let the Native American people have this country that we stole from them back. I like beer, I think I can handle Ireland.

4. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I don't know, I wish there was a fair way to legalize the hardworking people who only want a better life for themselves.

Criminals and gang members need not apply.

I would much rather pay a hard working immigrant employee reasonable going wages and get the job done correctly. ( I used to live near an area with seasonal migrant workers in the Bay Area - they were extremely hard working people). Most people I have experience with in this area also send their money home to relatives.

The alternative is paying Crackhead Bob more money per hour (because he thinks he is worth more since he was born here and who only shows up when he needs more cash for his meth lab supplies ..) and worry about him stealing the equipment.

(yeah, I'm speaking from experience).

I do wish they could find an alternative.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

5. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

In the words of the great Jack White:

White Americans, what?
    Nothing better to do?
    Why don't you kick yourself out?
    You're an immigrant, too.

Who's using who?
    What should we do?
    Well, you can't be a pimp
    And a prostitute, too.

Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I find it funny that people are really upset that we are enforcing laws on the books. If I stole food from the neighbors for years and the neighbors had plenty of food and I was starving, it would still be a crime to do so. Yes there are illegal people in the USA trying to better themselves, but they are still breaking the law.

And there are companies profiting from this. We need to punish them. Why not a guest worker program?

I am all for a guest worker program. Why don’t we have guest workers pay a fee ($100?) for every 6 months. Issue them a tax card (not Social security card) and they will have to go through a background check and health check before they can get in the country. They will have to reapply every 6 months. If they fail to reapply and the company doesn't do anything about it, then they get busted for breaking the law. There will be no “Quota’s” so anyone who can pass the background check, can pay the fee, and is healthy can get in.

Where can someone find a decent (but not a essay) on this new law?

8. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Well, I grew up on the Canadian border and really wish the focus would change from Mexicans to Canadians. I think we need to quit letting so many Canadians over here, particularly the ones I'm related to. Them....with their curling and Queen loving. Don't even get me started on FRENCH Canadians. You know what I'm talking aboot, eh? Mexico gave us Selma Hayak. Canada gave us Celine Dion.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Well, I grew up on the Canadian border and really wish the focus would change from Mexicans to Canadians. I think we need to quit letting so many Canadians over here, particularly the ones I'm related to. Them....with their curling and Queen loving. Don't even get me started on FRENCH Canadians. You know what I'm talking aboot, eh? Mexico gave us Selma Hayak. Canada gave us Celine Dion.
    I am sorry Misty, I missed where the law mentioned any particular group?

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    I am sorry Misty, I missed where the law mentioned any particular group?

Haven't you been listening to the outrage OU? Its a racist law! pff I agree with you - it doesn't target anyone except the people breaking the law...if you are saying its against one race, I guess you are saying one race or group is breaking the law more...

11. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Well, maybe if 99% of the people I know of (only talking about my own experience) that want tougher immigration laws didn't feel the need to add in comments like "they're taking us over" or comments about "their language" or comments about "their culture" I would think differently.

12. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Hah! You made me laugh out loud. I like you!
    If you can dream it, you can do it!

Well, maybe if 99% of the people I know of (only talking about my own experience) that want tougher immigration laws didn't feel the need to add in comments like "they're taking us over" or comments about "their language" or comments about "their culture" I would think differently.
    That may be true that there is concerns about the loss of culture and language. But thats why LEGAL immigration has quotas. So the USA can retain its original culture and language and assimilate new groups.

If we gave carte blanche to anyone who wanted to live in this country (no immigration quota's whatsoever) you would see a radical change in the values of the country. And I don't think it would be one "group" that would change those values so much as the fact that the people who were born in this country would soon be outnumbered by immigrants who never had the chance to assimilate but assimiliated the current residents instead.

14. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

That may be true that there is concerns about the loss of culture and language. But thats why LEGAL immigration has quotas. So the USA can retain its original culture and language and assimilate new groups.

If we gave carte blanche to anyone who wanted to live in this country (no immigration quota's whatsoever) you would see a radical change in the values of the country. And I don't think it would be one "group" that would change those values so much as the fact that the people who were born in this country would soon be outnumbered by immigrants who never had the chance to assimilate but assimiliated the current residents instead.
    The only "original" culture the US ever had was letting everybody in and being the great melting pot. That's our point as a country.

15. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

You mean kind of how that already happened once to the Native Americans? Kinda like that?

Completely agree with you there...its not that I think everyone expects immigrants to completely change and "become Americans" ...I mean, simply put, that may be what is said, but what are Americans, other than people who have come from all different cultures....however, if you don't control the flow, you have one or two cultures overriding what is already here...not withstanding the fact that you have to worry about people not paying into the system but taking out of it.

You mean kind of how that already happened once to the Native Americans? Kinda like that?
    The funny thing about wars is Misty is whoever wins gets to make the rules. You can say thats not fair, but unfortunately wars aren't based off fairness. Thats why they are so bloody. The Native Americans lost, so they lost the right to complain on who lives here and who makes the rules.

18. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Well, I hope the Mexicans rise up and kick our stupid white butts. I like the spanish language, love Mexican food & culture and Latin men are freakin hot.

Well, I hope the Mexicans rise up and kick our stupid white butts. I like the spanish language, love Mexican food & culture and Latin men are freakin hot.

Why the crap do you hate your country so much that you want people who are citizens of another country to come and "kick our butts"? Maybe your white butt is stupid, mine certainly is not. Nice to see you have not a shred of national pride.

20. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Why the crap do you hate your country so much that you want people who are citizens of another country to come and "kick our butts"? Maybe your white butt is stupid, mine certainly is not. Nice to see you have not a shred of national pride.
    First off, I think your sarcasm meter is broken, and second...Why the crap do people like to wrap their racism in my country's flag?

21. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

One of the things I love about America is it's diversity. I love this country. I just don't like some of the intolerant people that reside here. Too many people in Oklahoma wrap their racism in a flag. I would gladly rid the land of racists and replace them with non-racists from anywhere in the Universe. Except Mars, I really hate the Martians.

22. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

One of the things I love about America is it's diversity. I love this country. I just don't like some of the intolerant people that reside here. Too many people in Oklahoma wrap their racism in a flag. I would gladly rid the land of racists and replace them with non-racists from anywhere in the Universe. Except Mars, I really hate the Martians.
    Too funny.

23. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

I'm all for immigration, but we need to figure out a way for it to be done legally with a certain level of ease. In other words, I'm in the middle on this issue.

24. Default Re: Thoughts on new Immigration Law

The only "original" culture the US ever had was letting everybody in and being the great melting pot. That's our point as a country.
    Fine, but at that point in history we simply wrapped our arms around all those immigrants - we didn't pay their medical bills, college, welfare and social security.

Can't you just feel the "Christian" love of this "Christian" nation....

Thread Information