Widgets Magazine

Thread: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

1. Default KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

This is too funny.

Over the weekend were the news Emmys.

the funniest one was when KWTV9 was nominated for best set design due to their million dollar over-the-top news set.

However, they lost to OETA who reportedly only spent $1,600 on their set!

Now that is priceless!

Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

About as priceless as someone shooting their mouth off on a message board under the sheild of a screen name.

Like bailjumper did? You just did? Or, I am doing?

Is it a coincidence that the news set changed soon after this video was produced and released on YouTube?

Videokie.tv

5. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

I must have missed something...

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Like bailjumper did? You just did? Or, I am doing?
    Yep......... I was throwing a friendly jab.

7. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    About as priceless as someone shooting their mouth off on a message board under the sheild of a screen name.
    I don't know what you're talking about. This is my given name.

8. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    Is it a coincidence that the news set changed soon after this video was produced and released on YouTube?

Videokie.tv
    BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA
    Still corrupting young minds

News 9's cast and set looks geriatric to me.

The set was designed by some high-priced consulting firm out of Florida, I think, but its primary purpose was to facilitate local HD news production whenever KWTV can afford it.

As local news and I have pretty much parted company in recent years, I've only caught a few glimpses of the set, but what I have seen is a little strange in that it seems the anchors are standing virtually all the time, and ol' Gary England's weather control center looks like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise...

11. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    This is too funny.

Over the weekend were the news Emmys.

the funniest one was when KWTV9 was nominated for best set design due to their million dollar over-the-top news set.

However, they lost to OETA who reportedly only spent $1,600 on their set!

Now that is priceless!
    BailJumper, you just made my morning!!!

I've been complaining about that new set for one year now, and how they've ruined their show because of it. I echo some of SoonerDave's comments too.

OETA has very elegant looking set, and I guess they just proved you don't need two stories, spiral staircases, and over 3 dozen reporting positions, most of which are distant or standing, to do a great newscast.

I was a loyal KWTV viewer for decades, but the new set and distant shots drove me to KOCO. I've lived there happily ever since.

Did Pottery Barn get a nomination for the Fox 25 Morning News Set?

13. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy's Big Toe View Post
    Did Pottery Barn get a nomination for the Fox 25 Morning News Set?
    hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    News 9's cast and set looks geriatric to me.
    Are you kidding me??????

As opposed to OETA?

No as opposed to its real competition KOCO.

15. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Other than Gary England I don't know what you could be referring to. Who cares how old they are?

16. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Actually, I believe the stations themselves care a great deal about how old their anchors are, at least that's what a lot of their practices tell us just from observation.

I've even been told by someone fairly close to the news business that when you get around 38 years old it is like the kiss of death for a female anchor. KWTV's pattern a while back certainly bears this out.

Of course, since 40 is the new 30, perhaps some of the great ones working now will be with us for a while, I certainly hope so because I think they're great.

Anyway, it might make an interesting discussion, especially since KFOR is the obvious exception.

I don't believe age plays much of a factor though, in male anchors. They play different roles on a newscast anyway.

17. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Huh? It's called a message board for a reason goof.

Why would I need a "shield" (proper spelling) for that statement. Seems somebody got their lil feelings hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    when you get around 38 years old it is like the kiss of death for a female anchor.
    Ahh, so that explains why Linda Cavanaugh looks the way she does--she's actually been dead for twenty years!

19. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Ouch! That's as cold as a KWTV opening at 4pm, with the camera pulled back at max distance and the anchors greeting their viewers into the wrong camera! ;-)

KFOR stands out as the puzzling exception, but the other stations hire them young and beautiful. Look at the hires KOCO, FOX25, and KWTV have made in the past year, and look at the ages of the people that "left".

I do find it amusing that Linda Cavanaugh and KFOR won sweeps in July at 6pm and nearly won at 10pm. I give them credit. They must be doing something right, but November sweeps starts tomorrow and the war is on again.

20. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post

Videokie.tv
    The link is dead and I can't find that video. Anybody know where it is on YouTube?

21. Default Re: KWTV9 Loses to OETA!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ahh, so that explains why Linda Cavanaugh looks the way she does--she's actually been dead for twenty years!

I was about to ask the same question... Linda Cavanaugh has been on the air for 40 million years.. only 21 of those while I was alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The link is dead and I can't find that video. Anybody know where it is on YouTube?
    YouTube - The News

The amount of in-jokes is staggering. There's even a few, I'm sure, that I'm not aware of.

Thread Information