Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Meteorologists Changing

1. Default TV Meteorologists Changing

Some upcoming changes to KWTV and KOCO as far as their on-camera meteorologists. Unfortunately, two of the better ones in the market are leaving. Both job listings are now up, so this can be posted.

Zach Daniels, the weekend evening guy from KWTV will be leaving.
    Aaron Tuttle will also be leaving KOCO.

Zach definitely has the ability to perform as a chief met in this market, but I think we all know that Gary's highly coveted seat won't be open anytime soon. Not sure who is coming in to replace them, if any hot targets are out there, but I would expect them to be from the Plains. Likely candidates would probably come out of West or North Texas, Kansas, or the small stations in Southern Oklahoma.

Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

I'm so glad that Aaron Tuttle is leaving. He may be an Aggie, and I know Texas A&M has a great meteo school (I took some of their classes), but that guy is so sad. He seems intelligent enough, but he doesn't have any place on the air. He screwed up so many of Rick's severe wx reports... not even funny.
    "Aaron, why don't you let me handle this?" - Rick Mitchell

3. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Wow, thanks Venture79 for the cool news. Didn't know about it. I don't blame Zach one bit for leaving. He's worked in the shadow of England far too long, and he'd be hurting his career to stay.

Personally, I think Gary should have left years ago, and the only reason he stays is ego and money. By staying "forever", he is cheating his underlings out of advancing their careers. That's just my opinion. He should go teach at OU or something.

I would expect Carrie Rose to high-tail it out of there reasonably soon, because she is a super high-quality person, and she doesn't deserve to be second-string either. You just know she's is soaking up everything like a sponge, and when she gets all she can, she'd make a great Chief Meteorologist somewhere else.

4. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

At the rate Gary tends to be decreasing in intensity and such, settling in to that old grandfather like state - I don't give him much longer at the post. His seat is one of the most sought over in the nation when it comes to meteorologists in the on camera world. Zach has been in Gary's shadow for some time, but no where near as long as what Brady Brus was. Jed Castles has also been at the station the longest behind Gary, but I think he is too much of a morning guy to take on the evening shift.

Personally, I think it would be good for Zach to do a chief run in another market first. He definitely has what it takes to go up as a chief in this market now, but sometimes you need to run your own ship first and learn how you want it to work. If he would just move into replacing Gary here, he wouldn't have that luxury - essentially just continuing things as they are now.

Carrie Rose is okay...I definitely wouldn't say high quality when it comes to on air performance. She is definitely one that excels more behind the scenes in running things and handling the real meteorological work in forecasting and such.

Gary I think would be good to go to OU to teach with the vast amount he has learned and contributed over the years. We'll just have to see what happens.

I don't think it's just Gary who doesn't want to leave. I sincerely doubt KWTV wants to lose him. He's a ratings bonanza. When he goes, so do their ratings, although I believe over the past year or two, he's lost some of his footing to the other 2 stations. (People just growing tired of him).

If Gary where to ever step down I think he would go the Bob Barry route. He will do severe weather and the 5 and 6 before he goes into full retirement.

Carrie is very nice to look at in the morning. If she would only learn to slow down and speak a little louder she would be perfect in my book. I did notice Channel 9 gave her a bit of a make over from her very first time on the air. She went from nerdy schoolgirl to a babe in just a few days. Robin Marsh needs to take her aside and show her some pointers on her speech. If all else fails give her a couple of shots of liquor before the broadcast.

7. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Well I think KWTV is mostly to blame for the decline they have seen...not just Gary. For sometime there they were having Kelly Ogle back next to him talking about the weather and such. What is the point? I really think the big problem is the station has become so focused on finding a new figure to prop up. Gary carried them through the 90s pretty well. They have tried to push Kelly Ogle way too much. Personally I can't stand the ego and attitude of the guy.

They have also lost of lot of the people that were the heart of the station...Jenifer Reynolds, Angela Buckalew, etc. Dean Blevins I think is also a bit of a mark against them...Toby is a great on air personality for the sports department.

The station is in one of those states where I think they need to shake things up a bit. The morning show is pretty good with the crew they have - Jed and Robin are great. The Noon show isn't much to care about. The evening news...3 different teams depending on the time makes things a bit confusing. The 4pm cast is a bit more relaxed and enjoyable...miss having Angela on at that hour. The 5pm and 6pm shows just don't have much clicking. I really think if they get Kelly out of there, replace Dean with Toby, and either replace Gary with someone like Zach Daniels...they'll see a turn around. I even think the changes excluding Gary may help.

8. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

It's interesting to read everyone's differing opinions. I was a die-hard KWTV fan for years, but I switched to KOCO and I think Jessica Schambach is the finest anchor I've ever seen in my life. I also love the incredible intimacy of the camera-work, which is something they purposely removed from KWTV's broadcasts.

Everything at KWTV is cold and distant. If you don't watch other stations, you might not notice, but watch KOCO a week, then KWTV, and see the difference. There's a lot of difference in the warmth and friendliness between stations. The journalism is roughly the same, but the way the broadcast "feels" is an entirely different thing.

9. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Agree completely Drums. Kelly, Jenifer, Gary, and Bill were an awesome team before the horrible crash. I think there is just too big of a gap between Kelly and Amy for those two to really bond. Gary is everyones grandpa, so him and Amy are good together. Dean...he is an analyst, and would be good for the late night crew...but not the afternoon shows.

If they got Toby, Amy, and Gary...with a new male anchor - I think they could start building that warm inviting newscast that KOCO has (I agree with you totally on that as well).

10. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

You guys watch entirely too much news.

11. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Gawd, maybe you read entirely too many message boards! ;-)

We have the top two news stations in the country here in our ABC and CBS affiliates, so I take the quality and the feel of our newscasts here very seriously. Go out of state sometime and see the difference. They're not even in the same league.

Even Jon Stewart recognized the quality of the promos as he was attacking the famous "Watch Gary England or your children will die" promo.

Anyway, sorry to digress a little from the topic of changing weathermen. Just when you think that things are going to stay the same around here, they change.

Venture79, you mentioned about Kelly (or Amy for that matter) standing next to the weatherman to go into the segment, that's something that's done for "Human factors" in an effort to generate more interest. It infuriated me when I first saw it done, and then of course KOCO copied it and still uses it. I think KWTV uses it a lot less now, since maybe they figured out it's really useless.

All this presentation variety/garbage started when the FX Group put in that new set at KWTV, and the viewers have suffered for it. We used to get these really warm, friendly shows, now we get what looks like a guided tour of the architectural splendor of their sets every night.

All those standing shots by a big screen monitor, all that started back in November 2006 when the new set when in. Somehow, the consultants convinced everyone that we'd rather watch an anchor from a distance than look into their face. KWTV has basically ruined all their shows for me, and the worst part is, I don't think they care. (The nerve!)

And Gawd, you are right...I do watch too much news! Guilty as charged. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post

All this presentation variety/garbage started when the FX Group put in that new set at KWTV, and the viewers have suffered for it. We used to get these really warm, friendly shows, now we get what looks like a guided tour of the architectural splendor of their sets every night.

All those standing shots by a big screen monitor, all that started back in November 2006 when the new set when in. Somehow, the consultants convinced everyone that we'd rather watch an anchor from a distance than look into their face. KWTV has basically ruined all their shows for me, and the worst part is, I don't think they care. (The nerve!)
    The research is on FX Group's side.

Personally I think the biggest liability both KWTV and KFOR have is Ogle fatigue. Kent is not good at all in the mornings, which is why I stopped watching that show even though I think David Payne is hilarious. Kevin is just getting plain old and dry. And Kelly thinks too much of himself and his editorializing, both in his Two Cents segments as well as his ad libbing commentary on hard news items, has become tiresome and irksome.

KOCO, in my opinion, has the best news product to offer at the moment. Unfortunately, they lack the resources and tools that the other two stations have, most noticeably a helicopter. If they had the same resources, they would outpace the other two stations by leaps and bounds.

KFOR and KWTV are guilty of hanging on to talent that should have been replaced years ago. Both stations need a pretty radical shake-up. KWTV's set doesn't bother me at all... I think it's pretty cool... I just think the execution of their newscasts needs work. KFOR desperately needs help. Their set is awful. Their lighting is horrible — Linda and Kevin look terrible!

And that's my Two Cents!

13. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Gawd, maybe you read entirely too many message boards! ;-)

We have the top two news stations in the country here in our ABC and CBS affiliates, so I take the quality and the feel of our newscasts here very seriously. Go out of state sometime and see the difference. They're not even in the same league.

Even Jon Stewart recognized the quality of the promos as he was attacking the famous "Watch Gary England or your children will die" promo.

Anyway, sorry to digress a little from the topic of changing weathermen. Just when you think that things are going to stay the same around here, they change.

Venture79, you mentioned about Kelly (or Amy for that matter) standing next to the weatherman to go into the segment, that's something that's done for "Human factors" in an effort to generate more interest. It infuriated me when I first saw it done, and then of course KOCO copied it and still uses it. I think KWTV uses it a lot less now, since maybe they figured out it's really useless.

And Gawd, you are right...I do watch too much news! Guilty as charged. ;-)

I'm aware of how good/bad our news is, I've lived in several other states...I'm just giving you guys some lip.

I'm in a 12 step program for my internet message board addiction. It stems from my occupation in the computer field and the odd hours I work...Somehow my employer doesn't agree and and I'm in arbitration to try and get them to pay for my therapy via workman's comp.

You see, I love irony. Even when I indirectly direct it at myself.

14. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

I always wondered exactly what the "top late night news cast in the nation" meant. Obviously they don't have more viewers than a station in the top 10 markets. Obviously they don't have the market share that small markets have with one or two stations. So I just kind of shrug off those "top in the nation" promos.

I think we are coming to a concensus here...the Ogle's are one of the big problems with local news. I will second the comments about Linda on KFOR. I was watching Las Vegas and then saw the preview for the 10pm news cast...wow. She looks so worn out, old, and tired

I too like KWTV's new set...but it has to be used effectively. The weather set is probably more functional than they have had in the past. The rest of the set...eh, who cares. I would almost rather they used the more cozy "family room" setup for their morning and weekend morning newscasts. They kind of do this already, but should try to do it a bit more.

To be honest, I flip between the four stations. The only thing I find annoying is the KFOR anchors being chatty with the camera. The stupid side comments and the "Did you hear about, or Your not going to like this."

Just read the script and tell me the news. Stop acting like I am sitting with you at the dinner table.

Meg Alexander reported on a a political fundraiser that permitted guests of a plate dinner to get a photo taken with a famous politican for a $1000 donation. At the end of the story she says under her breath "I hope that Included a frame."

I felt like taking a drive and going Stewie Griffin on her.

Family Guy- Will Ferrell Video

16. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

OneForOne,

I guess that's where we differ. I love those little "snotty" remarks when they are intended as humor. The ones I don't like are the ones where the "pretend" to be concerned about the story, and make remarks leading out of the story. It always sounds phony to me and very scripted.

So do you like Andrew Speno's sarcasm during the Hollywood entertainment segment of FOX25? I think it makes the show!

And if you're watching Meg Alexander over Jessica Schambach, shame on you! Meg is a Ford Taurus; Jessica is a Mercedes. ;-)

So do you like Andrew Speno's sarcasm during the Hollywood entertainment segment of FOX25? I think it makes the show!
    I guess that's where we differ as well. I don't tune into a NEWS program to be entertained by the wittiness of the NEWS anchor.

From what I hear, Aaron Tuttle is still under contract, but KOCO is eagerly letting him go. KOCO tried to hire Zach Daniels, but he said "no thanks" and is heading to Virginia to be a chief.

19. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

I guess what I'm saying is that without any humor or light-heartedness, it's just an endless parade of crime, death, and destruction, then they tell you to have a nice day and be sure to tune in for the next show.

Kinda depressing...don't you think?

That's what annoys me in general about local news anyway. They open straight to crime the majority of the time, and News 9 is the worst. You are hearing about the latest murder or brutal crime before you ever even get a greeting from the anchors.

It's a shame, because I suppose that's what they think gets the ratings.

It's a shame, because I suppose that's what they think gets the ratings.
    They do it because it DOES get the ratings.

And if you think the news is too depressing, turn it off. If you want entertainment, turn to an entertainment show.

21. Default Re: TV Meteorologists Changing

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    They do it because it DOES get the ratings.

And if you think the news is too depressing, turn it off. If you want entertainment, turn to an entertainment show.
    Turn off the news? OMG...that's unthinkable in the most competitive market in the nation. What would I do? Where would I go? How would I live?

I'd be forced to spend more time on message boards like this one, and surely that can't be a good thing.

Besides, like Jon Stewart said, I have to watch Gary England or my children will die... ;-)

I remain an avid news viewer, and I watch it on many levels, the least of which is to actually get the news. To do anything less is to miss out on all the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    KFOR desperately needs help. Their set is awful. Their lighting is horrible — Linda and Kevin look terrible!
    The best lighting in all the world couldn't help Linda Cavanaugh at this point.

SEE NEXT POST
    (Double post. Sorry)

Where does THAT come from? Are you saying that KWTV and KOCO in Oklahoma City can hold a candle to the team at KABC in Los Angeles? Seriously? When I was there a couple of months back, I was blown away by the quality of the this newscast. Delivery, production values, etc. But, KWTV and KOCO are both better? Could you explain? These guys weren't too shabby either . They blow away our local news. What exactly does "top two news stations in the country mean?" If you reply with quality, than you must work for one of them? I know we've got great news for our market size (and even some bigger), but these claims test the old credibility meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The best lighting in all the world couldn't help Linda Cavanaugh at this point.
    I was trying to be nice. She's been around awhile.

Thread Information