Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mosaic dedicated in Bricktown

Default Mosaic dedicated in Bricktown

Wed October 3, 2007

Mosaic dedicated in Bricktown

By Brian Sargent
    Staff Writer

Bricktown visitors have another art piece to see after today's dedication of an 800-square-foot mosaic at the west end of the canal.
    The Devon Energy Centennial Mosaic overlooks the canal's headwaters.

The mosaic is comprised of about 650,000 two-inch square ceramic tiles attached to one-foot square sections. It features a sunrise, three American Indian silhouettes, a buffalo, a redbud tree and the names of Oklahoma's 77 counties.

The design incorporates existing waterfalls, giving the mosaic a third dimension that helps it come to life.

"Water is a symbol of strength and renewal and the sunrise is a symbol of rebirth and renewal,” Oklahoma City Community College art professor Mary Ann Moore said. "This is the dawn of a new century for Oklahoma and all Oklahomans. Hopefully we can find strength in this art that will help us go forward and do more great things.”

More than 100 art students from OCCC and 150 volunteers worked on the project.

About 100 people attended today's ceremony including OCCC President Paul Sechrist, Oklahoma Centennial Commission executive director Blake Wade, Oklahoma Centennial Commission chairman of projects and events Lee Allan Smith, City Manager Jim Couch and Devon Energy Corp. chairman and chief executive officer Larry Nichols.

Default Re: Mosaic dedicated in Bricktown

3. Default Re: Mosaic dedicated in Bricktown

I can't wait to see it in person.. it looks beautiful from the picture.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I watched the installation a few weeks back and it was fascinating. I went back last weekend to see it finished and it looks fantastic. It is surely something that will last a while unlike perhaps the painted murals on the same bridge. OKC certainly needs more public art like this.

Yes, this was a fantastic collaborative effort by the city, local corporations and OCCC.

I'd like to see more of this sort of thing getting UCO, OCU, OU and other local colleges (and even high schools) involved.

There is room for much more public art all along the canal and in other places and we should be using local resources for this purpose.

Thread Information