Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Talk about memories….I remember when there was a shopping center at SW.44 & S. Western. There were several stores there, including a Rudy’s Bestyet grocery store. Around the corner from the shopping center, across from fire station 19, there was a Godfather’s Pizza place. I remember when the firefighters would run across the street to get a pizza if they didn’t like what was for dinner that evening.

I also remember when Lynn Hickey Dodge was always doing something strange to bring customers in. I remember when they had Evel Knieval up in the van that was up on the crane...and good ole Tom Park.

Speaking of Foreman Scotty, I was on his show when I was a kid, before most of you were born. It was actually my sister’s birthday, and naturally, I didn’t win anything. Also, good ole Kaptain Kangaroo..I sure miss him. I watched him every morning as a kid before I had to go to school.

I also remember the TG&Y in Moore (where I grew up). I actually purchased a bottle of flea and tick dip from the store, and accidently dropped it on the floor, shattering the bottle. It must have been potent stuff, because it ate the wax right off the floor. Just south of the TG&Y, there was a bicycle moto-cross track. It was fun to watch on weekends.

Then there was 14 Flags drive-in on south Western. When I heard they were tearing it down to build a housing addition, I though there was no way anybody would move in to that area. Now, it is packed.

In the media world, I do remember Linda Soundtrak and her annoying, shrilling voice. I don’t miss her. How about Ernie Schultz, Jim Williams, Lola Hall, John Snider, and Robbie Robertson (now doing Bob Howard commercials) as is Kevin Foreman (Joe Cooper Ford), a former weatherman.

I remember the U.S. Olympic festival also. I was out of a job during that time, so when it came through S. OKC by the Community College, I followed it all the way out to the airport. It was fun.

How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time.

Ok, how about those Tall Paul commercials? “Protecting all the things you own, like cars and trucks and mobile homes, with accidents and tickets too, call and we’ll take care of you at 524-1541…..that’s Paul Meade Insurance.” Scary…I still know that jingle. Ok, admit it....while reading the words to that song, you started singing it, huh?

B.C. Clark jingle…..”Jewlery is the gift to give, cause it’s the gift that will live and live, so give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clark’s…. anniversary sale. Most sales are after Christmas, but Clarks is just before, most everything is marked way down, savings you can’t ignore, at Oklahoma’s oldest jeweler, since 1892. So give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clarks anniversary sale.”

More memories to come.....
    The "pitchman" was Curt Scwartz. He died in a Delta crash at DFW in 1985. Tall Paul? Neat spots. Linda Soundtrack? Never really bothered me much. Christmas is not Christmas in Oklahoma City without the BC Clark jingle.

I also remember 14 flags. I am surprised Winchester has not been demolished.

My main TG&Y memory is the big one at 240 and Pennsylvania. When it opened in 1962 (Aprox) the opening act was Buck Owens. I remember being the "mascot" for the store and will always be greatful to Gerrel Johnson for getting me my first job there. Mr. Johnson was a dear friend and his son David will be well beyond our days on earth.

The shopping center is Redding. A bit still remains, but the majority is now a medical center. Lynn Hickey? My dad always liked him. And Forman Scotty? Who in our generation could forget.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time...
    Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    The "pitchman" was Curt Scwartz. He died in a Delta crash at DFW in 1985.

Hello folks! This is my first post on this board. I hope you will forgive me for bumping this old thread…

I arrived at this site while searching for a 1985 Southwest Ford commercial “The High Plains Drifter, drifting into SW Ford” that showed an ultralight airplane landing in the parking lot. I was assisting Gene Bledsoe owner of the Hang-Glider Ultralight Shop and one of my best friends to film the commercial.

I can’t forget our conversation with Mr. Schwartz as the film crew was building the commercial from several different cuts of video they had filmed earlier in the day. Mr. Schwartz asked if we flew those “things” all the time, to which we replied, “Yes, it’s a lot of fun. Want to try it?” His response was, “You guys are crazy. You won’t ever catch me flying in one of those things. I won’t fly in anything smaller that a 747.” His statement was ironic because he was killed a few weeks later in the Aug. 2 crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    I arrived at this site while searching for a 1985 Southwest Ford commercial “The High Plains Drifter, drifting into SW Ford” that showed an ultralight airplane landing in the parking lot. I was assisting Gene Bledsoe owner of the Hang-Glider Ultralight Shop and one of my best friends to film the commercial.

I can’t forget our conversation with Mr. Schwartz as the film crew was putting together the commercial from several different cuts of video they had filmed earlier in the day.

Mr. Schwartz asked if we flew those “things” all the time, to which we replied, “Yes, it’s a lot of fun. Want to try it?” His response was, “You guys are crazy. You won’t ever catch me flying in one of those things. I won’t fly in anything smaller that a 747.”

His statement was ironic because he was killed a few weeks later in the Aug. 2 crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas.
    Since we have a new "crew" in the memories threads I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Since we have a new "crew" in the memories threads I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Frisky:....The wife and I were in Dallas when that Crash happened...I remember seeing a Huge Flash when it happened. I told my wife tht something just blew up....Her response that maybe some clouds moved by quickly...That was a tragic day in that city.

Prunepicker Guest

... I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any
    information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of
    the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    You said old and 1985 in the same sentence. That doesn't compute.

Gen64's head just exploded.
    Mine is getting ready to...

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    You said old and 1985 in the same sentence. That doesn't compute.

Gen64's head just exploded.
    Mine is getting ready to...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985??????? MAN, WASN'T THAT YESTERDAY?....i REMEMBER LOOKING AT A NEW 1968 FORD MUSTANG THERE...BUS HORTON FORD......

I remember going to the fair out by Douglas High School and thought this was cool except why built a Sewer plant that close to a Fair Grounds? Then I remember going to the Semi-Centennial (1957) even have a couple of pictures...Saw my first Real live Buffalo there....I know I looked like a "Hoot Owl" in atree when I saw that animal....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Then I remember going to the Semi-Centennial (1957) even have a couple of
    pictures...
    Somewhere we have an LP recording that celebrated the event. It was
    smaller than a regular LP. I'll see if it can be located and bring it to one of
    the meetings. No promises...

I remember that as well we were on I-35 in Dallas headed home from working down there, was the pitch man bledso and was he not in fact on the plane also

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    I remember that as well we were on I-35 in Dallas headed home from working down there, was the pitch man bledso and was he not in fact on the plane also
    Bledsoe was not the pitchman, Schwartz was. Schwartz was the guy that said "No, that's Southwest Ford" at the end of the Southwest Ford commercials in response to someone else saying "That's incredible!". Schwartz was killed in the Delta Airlines plane crash in Dallas.

Here is my original post:

Originally Posted by FRISKY

I can’t forget our conversation with Mr. Schwartz as the film crew was putting together the commercial from several different cuts of video they had filmed earlier in the day.

Mr. Schwartz asked if we flew those “things” all the time, to which we replied, “Yes, it’s a lot of fun. Want to try it?” His response was, “You guys are crazy. You won’t ever catch me flying in one of those things. I won’t fly in anything smaller that a 747.”

His statement was ironic because he was killed a few weeks later in the Aug. 2 crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas.
    I am still looking for any information about that "High Plains Drifter, Drifting into Southwest Ford" commercial.

Bledsoe was not the pitchman, Schwartz was. Schwartz was the guy that said "No, that's Southwest Ford" at the end of the Southwest Ford commercials in response to someone else saying "That's incredible!". Schwartz was killed in the Delta Airlines plane crash in Dallas.

I am still looking for any information about that "High Plains Drifter, Drifting into Southwest Ford" commercial.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    you lost me Frisky...I was working then ..... had a real job....

Bledsoe and Schwartz were partners. Schwartz did the tag line above. What do you want to know about the SW Ford commercials - my husband worked there during that time period.

Thread Information