Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Wow. I remember the Midnite Rebels. Are you in OKC now, or elsewhere?

I was born in the early 40's in Vinita. My grandfather was a long time teacher in Vinita as was my dad. I remember one of my big treats was riding a train from Vinita to OKC for teacher's meeting each year in Oct. It was something to go to downtown Vinita and see the trains come and go but to come into and out of OKC on the train was beyond compare! Now this was bigtime!

We seem to always stay at the Huckens (sp) Hotel. Some times at the Black and every once in a while at the Skirvin. I can still see hotel personal in white uniforms and caps. Door men in uniforms opening the door when you walked in the doors. This was living "high on the hog".

There were two theaters downtown that I can remember. Can't recall the names but I remember one that has red velvet drapes hanging everywhere. After growing up in Vinita and having to pick your feet up to keep the rats from running up your legs, this was not to be believed.

Eating places that came to mind was Beverlys and an Italian place on Lincoln I can't recall the name. I just remember that they thought the mob ran it. There were eating places all over in downtown OKC that are no longer there. Very sad :-( I remember going with my grandfather to the exhibits at the civic center for the teachers meeting. Grandfather thought it was the latest and greatest things for teachers so we had to go through everything.

I recall it was tiring too for we walked everywhere! No cabs or public transit for us. Grand dad didn't waste money on rides when he could walk. Nor did dad. We walked everywhere.

Probably not many on this board can remember these places or times.

and an Italian place on Lincoln I can't recall the name. I just remember that they thought the mob ran it.
    Sussy's.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Sussy's.
    Yep, thats the place. I can remember other places near the capital but again those names don't come to mind. "Chicken-n-ruff" come to mind? I know it doesn't seem like much now but when I was a kid it had a "wow" factor.

I live in Dallas now.

"Chicken in the Rough" was Beverly's.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    My name is Charley Lee and I was the lead vocalist in the Midnite Rebels from 1966 until the Spring of 1968, when my family moved to Texas. I remember well the Battle Of The Bands every weekend. As I recall, Ronnie originally hosted his events at a National Guard Armory before he built The Scene. A competitor station's DJ, Johnny Dark, hosted his "battles" in a building at the fairgrounds. A band called The Knightwalkers were always prominent at Johnny's events. They were good. I liked The Psychos, as well. It was always fun to be on the bill with them. Those dances were some kind of fun.

...Charley
    Do you remember Marble Phrogg or the Sound Pounders? I played in several 'garage bands' in the 60's. I wanted to be a drummer so bad. Now I'm a pro bassist/arranger playing jazz and classical gigs around the state. Are you still active?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RabidRed View Post
    Yep, thats the place. I can remember other places near the capital but again those names don't come to mind. "Chicken-n-ruff" come to mind? I know it doesn't seem like much now but when I was a kid it had a "wow" factor.
    The Beverly's, Chicken in the Rough, on Lincoln was huge. It seated 800 people. We used to eat at the one just south of N.W. 12 & Walker quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Do you remember Marble Phrogg or the Sound Pounders? I played in several 'garage bands' in the 60's. I wanted to be a drummer so bad. Now I'm a pro bassist/arranger playing jazz and classical gigs around the state. Are you still active?
    I do remember the Sound Pounders. Marble Phrogg sounds familiar, but I'd probably need more memory refreshing on that one. For some reason I'm associating those bands with John Marshall. I used to run with some guys from John Marshall, and I think I remember my friend Phil playing in the Sound Pounders.

I am still active. I play mostly as a solo "one man band" kind of thing....guitar, banjo, mandolin, harmonica and kazoo in a neck rack, and an old wooden Dr Pepper crate for foot percussion. Through the week, I play for the lunch crowd at different locations of a sandwich/salad chain here in the area. Evenings are open for private functions. Weekends through the union local, I play festivals and street performances. When I need a bigger sound, I play with a band of varying size and instrumentation, in the "tradition" of the Memphis jug bands from the 1920's and 1930's.

Do you play upright bass, bass guitar, both? I like the sound of an acoustic upright bass. One of these days I'd like to get one and learn to play it.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I do remember the Sound Pounders. Marble Phrogg sounds familiar, but I'd probably need more memory refreshing on that one. For some reason I'm associating those bands with John Marshall.

Do you play upright bass, bass guitar, both? I like the sound of an acoustic upright bass. One of these days I'd like to get one and learn to play it.
    The Sound Pounders were mostly a southside band but I didn't know everyone in it. Ocassionally I'll play a gig with Lee Overstreet, the drummer. Marble Phrogg had a singer with a hook on one of his hands.

I'm mainly an upright bassist. On occasion I'll play electric, i.e. church gigs, studio work, where ever it's needed. The same with acoustic. If it pays I plays.

Jug bands are cool. I play little mandolin and uke.

Smile Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Howdy! I found this site through a search on Paseo Plunge, which I remember fondly from the early-mid 50's.
    I was born at Mercy Hospital in 1950, back when it was on 13th St. I lived as a child at Lee & 11th & on N.W.24th St. I attended Emerson and Wilson Elementary Schools.
    Later I will come back & post some of my OKC memories. I may not remember the exact locations and names, but I remember a lot.
    I lived in OKC from 1950-61 and visited in 1973 & 1992 on trips west. My mother lived in OKC from the 20's to '61.
    I now live in Richmond, VA but lived in Washington, DC, Annapolis & Baltimore, MD after leaving OKC. Glad to be a part of an OKC discussion.
    Mary L.

does anyone remember the name of the teen club located at 28th and S. Agnew? It used to be the old Agnew theater. Later it became a Harley Davidson Motorcycle shop...Can't remember the name of the teen club..

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    does anyone remember the name of the teen club located at 28th and S. Agnew?
    It used to be the old Agnew theater. Later it became a Harley Davidson
    Motorcycle shop... Can't remember the name of the teen club...
    \

Wasnt' it called 'The Scene'? I thought it was called the Checkmate Theater. It
    was a drop for paperboys.

Regarding several posts. Speaking of the Blue Goose, one of the major groups playing there was The Fantasticks for whom Jerry Fisher was the lead singer. I know of his whereabouts these days, but does anyone know what happened to Jazzbo Jansen or Altis Moore and/or who the other members were? Was Dean McDanials in it. And some of those same people, like Dean, played with Eddie Peak. Whatever happened to weird Eddie? Regarding Marble Phrogg, the singer was Hoppy somethingoranother. He was later Captain Hook and the Whalers. And what about Jim Edgar and the Roadunners? Are he and Farland Stanley still around? And who were the other Roadrunners? And, hey, Prunepicker, did you play with any bands back in the day? (We USED to say back in the OLD days, didn't we?)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    And, hey, Prunepicker, did you play with any bands back in the day? (We USED to
    say back in the OLD days, didn't we?)
    No, I was younger than most at that time. I was in the shadows hoping to be as
    good as them. Now, and I don't mean to be braggadocios, I've managed to be
    farther ahead than any of them.

How about the Sound Pounders? The drummer was a friend of mine and has
    become a fine percussionist. That means an orchestral drummer

If we didn't say back in the old daze we said back in the olden daze.

I have no clue as to what they say nowadaze.

who?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    who?
    If you're responding to my post, I mean the musicians in the band when we were
    growing up.

If you weren't responding to me I have no clue whatsoever about what you're
    talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    If you're responding to my post, I mean the musicians in the band when we were
    growing up.

If you weren't responding to me I have no clue whatsoever about what you're
    talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Merry Christmas buddy:............Tell the Prunette and all the little prunes that we are wishing them a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season.....

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Sussy's.
    Jack Sussy also had SPQR.
    I hear the Nomad has the pizza recipe.

remember glens steak house...OMG i miss the rolls!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    remember glens steak house...OMG i miss the rolls!
    Hey '78, if you go by Glen's old place the parking sign is still hanging saying" glen's Hikry Inn parking

22. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    . . . . And some of those same people, like Dean, played with Eddie Peak. Whatever happened to weird Eddie? . . .
    The last I saw of Eddie Peak was in the late 70's when he ran the front door at the Bit of Italy in a little strip center just off 39th a little east of May avenue. The Bit was one of the top after hours hangouts for musicians and members of the trade. Just standing in line waiting to get in was totally entertaining . . . you never knew who you might meet. Eddie was totally in his element and performing at his weird best.
    Last edited by The Old Downtown Guy; 12-25-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: corrected date
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

The Bit was a hoot. You could go there after The Greeks or Diamond Jim's closed down for the night.

You guys are remembering things that are beginning to jar my memory what a hoot this is going to be......Do you guys remember the name of the boat shop on South May about 16th street?

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I can't recall a boat shop there. Seems like there were some businesses on the west side of the street . . . a plumbing store I recall . . . can't remember much else
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Thread Information