Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    I can't recall a boat shop there. Seems like there were some businesses on the west side of the street . . . a plumbing store I recall . . . can't remember much else
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The boat shop had been there for ever, it was on the west side of the street and I think there was dive shop close to it. I held the name of the person that owned the shop i.e. John Smith's Boat.....this one has me digging deep but, I still can't find the name....

Frank (Thompson?) had a dive shop at 1415 N. May. If I remember right Frank and a guy named Jim Thompson (no relation) said they helped with the dive sequences when they filmed the movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon". They used to go to spear fishing tournaments in the 1950s and 1960s.

I bought SCUBA equipment from Frank's Dive Shop back when two hose regulators and an old plane pilot’s “May West” were all you could get.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I learned how to dive with Frank's shop . . . Franks Underwater Sports . . . He died a few years back but his nephew, Frankie, still has the shop. It is now located on 33rd just west of Broadway in Edmond. Frank had a lot of stories of his days in the Seals and all the years he spent diving around the globe. Glad I got to know him. Frank's was on north May not south May G64, but I still don't recall a boat shop . . . north or south.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

I remember a boat shop east of May across from the SE entrance to the Fairgrounds. It was directly east of the starting line of the dragstrip and just north of the railroad tracks. I don't remember the name, but it seems like it was Spiegel Marine. Someone used to sell live Christmas trees in the parking lot at Christmas.

I learned how to dive with Frank's shop . . . Franks Underwater Sports . . . He died a few years back but his nephew, Frankie, still has the shop. It is now located on 33rd just west of Broadway in Edmond. Frank had a lot of stories of his days in the Seals and all the years he spent diving around the globe. Glad I got to know him. Frank's was on north May not south May G64, but I still don't recall a boat shop . . . north or south.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Everyone...the name of the boat shop was Fay Horaney's on North May. I remember doing the OKC boat show (Jack Wright owner) for TG&Y and Fay made my in-laws an enormous deal on a boat. Seems someone's wife was trying to extract it from him...oh yeah, there was divorce in there also....

Memories are records for the future......How about Glen's Hik'ry Inn. I can remember selling pop bottles (2 cents each) to make SURE I had enough money to take my girl friend (now wife) to eat there. Only to find out all she really wanted was Salad and Baked Potato......Boy, was I relieved...I (trying to be so cool) thought hey, that's a good meal I'll have the same.......Later in life she informed me she was starved but knew I was scrambling for money....What a Gal... Glen's sign is still hanging there on 10th and May...

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Memories are records for the future... How about Glen's Hik'ry Inn. I can
    remember selling pop bottles (2 cents each) to make SURE I had enough money
    to take my girl friend (now wife) to eat there. Only to find out all she really
    wanted was Salad and Baked Potato... Boy, was I relieved...I (trying to be so
    cool) thought hey, that's a good meal I'll have the same... Later in life she
    informed me she was starved but knew I was scrambling for money... What a
    Gal... Glen's sign is still hanging there on 10th and May...
    I'll bet that meal still set you back $5. That's 250 pop bottles.

We found a great spot behind the 7/11. There'd be hundreds of 'em.

Glen's was mine and wifey's first real date, too. I was a single father and our daughters were in the same school. She was really active in the PTA stuff and once at a meeting she asked me to be on a comittee and I accepted. I filled out a little form. The night after our first meeting she called me and asked me out. I had to tell her that I was obligated to be at an art opening that night and declined apologetically. She then informed me that that was one of the places she had intended to take me, and that she also had barter points (remember those?) enough to take us to Glen's. I accepted gladly. We married one year later and have lived in bliss ever since.... well, accept for those few rough spots......... Oh, I picked up the tip that night and thank goodness art openings are free.

Prunepicker Guest

...Bit of Italy in a little strip center just off 39th a little east of May avenue.
    Would that have been N.W. or S.W. 39th? I don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Glen's was mine and wifey's first real date, too. I was a single father and our daughters were in the same school. She was really active in the PTA stuff and once at a meeting she asked me to be on a comittee and I accepted. I filled out a little form. The night after our first meeting she called me and asked me out. I had to tell her that I was obligated to be at an art opening that night and declined apologetically. She then informed me that that was one of the places she had intended to take me, and that she also had barter points (remember those?) enough to take us to Glen's. I accepted gladly. We married one year later and have lived in bliss ever since.... well, accept for those few rough spots......... Oh, I picked up the tip that night and thank goodness art openings are free.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd love to have one of their Steak Burgers right now....

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'll bet that meal still set you back $5. That's 250 pop bottles.

We found a great spot behind the 7/11. There'd be hundreds of 'em.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same store we used to use?.....Remember, the crates brought 25 cents.....I was making 1.05 per hour with TG&Y then.....Man, I miss those days...Still lived at home and the mom and bank was usually open for Gas money. How about yours?

N.w.

Quote Originally Posted by prunepicker View Post
    would that have been n.w. Or s.w. 39th? I don't remember it.
    n.w.

Same store we used to use?.....Remember, the crates brought 25 cents.....I was making 1.05 per hour with TG&Y then.....Man, I miss those days...Still lived at home and the mom and bank was usually open for Gas money. How about yours?
    Minimum wage was .90 per hr so you were making out like a bandit, bro. And gas was what......25 to .30 per gallon. Easy livin', man.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Minimum wage was .90 per hr so you were making out like a bandit, bro. And gas was what......25 to .30 per gallon. Easy livin', man.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, but, I was an assistant manager in training...(Stockboy with a tie and a store key) good job, pretty girlfriend, good looking car and no other worries....what a life......Be sure you come on the 24th.... hey, I forgot to tell you, I have a brick from the old Redskin....

I have several bricks from OKC buildings, but I'm not sure I can remember which one came from which building.

Prunepicker Guest

Same store we used to use?... Remember, the crates brought 25 cents... I was
    making 1.05 per hour with TG&Y then... Man, I miss those days... Still lived at
    home and the mom and bank was usually open for Gas money. How about yours?
    I got gas money from dad. He let me use the credit card one weekend. I racked
    up an $8.00 bill and he hit the roof.

Those were the daze.

I remember going downtown OKC and watching the Mathis Brothers, Jude and Jody, Wanda Jackson etc. putting on a show on Reno in front of the old Big Red warehouse. People would walk up to the show and everyone had a great time .....(FREE).....In today's time we would consider this as like Wayne Coynes (Flaming Lips) putting on a show for his Home Town.
    There was a place to drag (not race) up and down Reno ...No problems with anyone kind of like in american Grafitti (sp). Both Northsied and Southside kids just had a good time. of course, there was the ocassional fight but kids are kids...No guns or knives.....just fists and words...then whoever could run the fastest didn't get caught by OKC police.
    Before Urban Renewal there was a pawn shop on almost every corner and then the hotels. The splendor for the old hotels is gone....but, were they pretty or not?
    Do you remember the Municipal Auditorium?...Shrine Circus....the different rock 'n roll gurus the OKC Philharmonic...what happen?....Anybody know?

Prunepicker Guest

Before Urban Renewal there was a pawn shop on almost every corner and then
    the hotels. The splendor for the old hotels is gone... but, were they pretty or not?
    Do you remember the Municipal Auditorium? Shrine Circus... the different rock 'n
    roll gurus the OKC Philharmonic... what happen? Anybody know?
    I blame it the city council getting suckered by that guy from Japan. It cost about
    $1,000,000 for him to tell them how to destroy downtown, i.e. get rid of anything
    that had historical value. The Huckins Hotel, the Critereon, virtually everything on
    Grand Avenue - now Sheridan.

Oh yes, the Municipal Auditorium. I remember the circuses, the Harlem
    Globetrotters, the college basketball tournaments, the Oklahoma City Symphony,
    you name it. That cavern could seat 6,000 people.

I blame it the city council getting suckered by that guy from Japan. It cost about
    $1,000,000 for him to tell them how to destroy downtown, i.e. get rid of anything
    that had historical value. The Huckins Hotel, the Critereon, virtually everything on
    Grand Avenue - now Sheridan.

Oh yes, the Municipal Auditorium. I remember the circuses, the Harlem
    Globetrotters, the college basketball tournaments, the Oklahoma City Symphony,
    you name it. That cavern could seat 6,000 people.
    not only could it seat 6,000 plus a dozen elephants and 500 clowns it was always a cheap date.....The Celeral Palsey Telethon...Free:.....The Circus:....$2.00 (popcorn 50 cents)...the Dave Clark Five:....$5.00 for a good seat....Hmmm.....The rolling stones or Hanna Montana....$100.00 ticket.....Welcome to the 21st century

21. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Everyone...the name of the boat shop was Fay Horaney's on North May. I remember doing the OKC boat show (Jack Wright owner) for TG&Y and Fay made my in-laws an enormous deal on a boat. Seems someone's wife was trying to extract it from him...oh yeah, there was divorce in there also....
    Actually General, it was at 39th and Portland on the SW corner. It was there where the old shortcut turn drive to go southbound on Portland was.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Actually General, it was at 39th and Portland on the SW corner. It was there
    where the old shortcut turn drive to go southbound on Portland was.
    That's where Gordon's Inland Marine was located.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

That's where Gordon's Inland Marine was located.
    I'm wrong then. It wasn't the same place separated by a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I'm wrong then. It wasn't the same place separated by a few years?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, it was on May Avenue about 16th or 17th street....It was there for quite some time....

Prunepicker Guest

No, it was on May Avenue about 16th or 17th street... It was there for quite some time...
    I don't remember a boat shop on SW or NW 16th or 17th on May. Are we talking
    about Horaney's?

Thread Information