Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here's an ad for Abextra from 8-24-80:

Oh my! That means it was there in 1964! I bought many posters from there,
    among other things.

Does anybody know how the name was derived?

How many remember Mother's on NW 23rd?

The rocket was an awesome place to "hang out", Highly Park was across the street from the rocket, ater skating, we would hang out in the park waiting for our ride home. I remember that if you took your report card to the rocket, you got free passes for good grades!!!!!!!!

I think I remember Mother's. Where was it on N.W. 23rd?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I think I remember Mother's. Where was it on N.W. 23rd?
    I think it was next door to the Tower theater.

Mother's started on Paseo as Mother's Rock Shop, OKC's first Head Shop, even before Abextra. When the Cochrans took over and moved it to 23rd it became Mother's Art Decor', emphasizing the artsier parts of being counter culture. They were sweet people.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Mother's started on Paseo as Mother's Rock Shop, OKC's first Head Shop, even before Abextra. When the Cochrans took over and moved it to 23rd it became Mother's Art Decor', emphasizing the artsier parts of being counter culture. They were sweet people.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Starting to think back about OKC don't you remember the dirt roads in the new neighborhoods? and then the gravel road known as S.W. 44th st.....S.W. 59th had gravel finally because it led out to Will Rogers Airfield.....Not an international air port at that time....It's strange to think how much OKC has grown in a short length of time. I remember how the North Canadian (now The Oklahoma) river looked like it does today....Muddy looking and a mess...

I don't remember SW 44th and SW 59th as gravel roads, I do remember S. Meridian being a very narrow, 2 lane road from Reno--SW 29th. My parents owned Meridian Lanes bowling alley for several years

Quote Originally Posted by danielf1935 View Post
    I don't remember SW 44th and SW 59th as gravel roads, I do remember S. Meridian being a very narrow, 2 lane road from Reno--SW 29th. My parents owned Meridian Lanes bowling alley for several years
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If your parents are still alive, tell them I am sorry for the grief we gave them...O.K., it's finally done. That was a good Bowling Alley. Lots of fun and good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    If your parents are still alive, tell them I am sorry for the grief we gave them...O.K., it's finally done. That was a good Bowling Alley. Lots of fun and good memories.
    I spent some time there also. There was a really cute girl that worked there.

"FRISKY":....you must have Blinders on...There were a Bunch of cute girls at that place......

Back in the day that bowling alley was kinda in the middle of nowhere. I also have good memories of the place.

For a bowiling Alley, it's still in the middle of nowhere, my family still own's the property, but have the Alley leased to someone. Bowilng is a dying sport, and I doubt that the building remains a Bowling Alley much longer.

I remember as a kid my Grandfather ran the Dump on S.W. 15th and Portland. Lots of Treasure troves out there. However, one afternoon he called my dad and told him to get all the trucks (pick-ups) and trailers he could come up with. It seems A Brewing co. had shipped the wrong percentage Beer and they had to "Dump" it....6 trailer loads....Now they had Bulldozers pushing it around before my dad and the entire neighborhood got there but still there was a large amount of free beer in my neighborhood for a few weeks...Now, I'm sure my granddad was not supposed to do that. But, he lived until he was 98 years old and he's gone now....1995.....so....Man, it was funny to see that much beer on front porches, back porches, garages it was wild.....

We know the family who owned the Abextra. They were southsiders, and their kids went to Grant in the early 1970's. I will see if I can find out how they came up with the name "Abextra". I remember my older cousin taking me there when I was a kid in the late 60's. It was all black lights and florescent posters.

TeriOKC, you missed something about the Abextra, in addition to the glow from the black lights and posters, remember to almost over bearing smell/smoke from the always burning incense. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Starting to think back about OKC don't you remember the dirt roads in the new neighborhoods? and then the gravel road known as S.W. 44th st.....S.W. 59th had gravel finally because it led out to Will Rogers Airfield.....Not an international air port at that time....It's strange to think how much OKC has grown in a short length of time. I remember how the North Canadian (now The Oklahoma) river looked like it does today....Muddy looking and a mess...
    That jarred my memory. 64' do you remember a dump at s.w.59 and independence? I remember my grandmother dumping something there. I think was westside of independence. Was in the late 50's nothing much else was out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz6903 View Post
    That jarred my memory. 64' do you remember a dump at s.w.59 and independence? I remember my grandmother dumping something there. I think was westside of independence. Was in the late 50's nothing much else was out there.
    Yep, I do....we used to have a trash man come through our neighborhood and pick up the trash on Tuesdays and Thursdays...He usually dumped his trash there....Mr. Nixon cool guy...would let you dig through the truck for "Neat" trash....well, it was for a little kid back then.....Got some of my new toys that way....

Mr. Nixon cool guy...would let you dig through the truck for "Neat" trash....well, it was for a little kid back then.....Got some of my new toys that way....
    Kinda like digging thru the trash behind TG&Y?

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Wondering if you caught that?.....I remember finding a spool of thread....was so excited to get home and give it to my mother.....She acted excited but probably threw it back in the trash....

I remember Tinker AFB had a salvage yard that civilians could come in and buy stuff...cool stuff to a youngster. Is it still around?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I remember Tinker AFB had a salvage yard that civilians could come in and buy stuff...cool stuff to a youngster. Is it still around?
    the yard is there but, I think everything requires a bidding process/auction.

Prunepicker Guest

...the yard is there but, I think everything requires a bidding process/auction.
    I got all the junk to make my first anti-car rocket system. It still works
    great, especially on those morons who ignore 'Yield' signs.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Hey I resemble that remark!!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Hey I resemble that remark!!!
    SNORK! SNORK!

I'm laughing through my nose...

Do any of you guys remember throwing SALVO TABLETS in the fountain Down Town???????I didn't do it I promise...I saw who did though....

Thread Information