Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I think Horaney's was down around Spartan Atlantic by the fairgrounds.

Mikeokc, That was definitely Gordan's Inland Marine at 39th and May. It's funny, I move all the way to LA and here I am on the OKC board discussing, of all things, marine shops(!), of which there are multitudes here.

Remember Colorcraft Printing on May across from the fairgrounds? They did screen printed posters for all the local band concerts, boxing events, wrestling and they all had that "Colorcraft look"; you knew where they came from. Also, around the corner on 10th street was an old jukebox shop where they also sold old 45's to play in the jukeboxes as well as jukebox repair. Then further down one of my favorite places a kid - Glenn's Donut Shop - had an elephant sign.

Opps...that was DENNIS donuts.

The elephant sign was cool, They just don't make signs like that anymore.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Opps...that was DENNIS donuts.
    Yes, of course. I had the steak house and donut house confused. They're sooo similar!

5. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post

Mikeokc, That was definitely Gordan's Inland Marine at 39th and May. It's funny, I move all the way to LA and here I am on the OKC board discussing, of all things, marine shops(!), of which there are multitudes here.

Remember Colorcraft Printing on May across from the fairgrounds? They did screen printed posters for all the local band concerts, boxing events, wrestling and they all had that "Colorcraft look"; you knew where they came from. Also, around the corner on 10th street was an old jukebox shop where they also sold old 45's to play in the jukeboxes as well as jukebox repair. Then further down one of my favorite places a kid - Glenn's Donut Shop - had an elephant sign.
    I remember Colorcraft because we used them in high school, around 1975, to print our posters when some version of the Platters sang at our school for a benefit. You are right, they had that certain look. Hope you're enjoying Los Angeles, I lived in Glendale for 3 years.

Prunepicker Guest

... Mikeokc, That was definitely Gordan's Inland Marine at 39th and May...

... Then further down one of my favorite places a kid - Glenn's Donut Shop - had
    an elephant sign.
    That's where I remember Horaney's.

Gordon's was at 39th and Portland.

That was Dennis' Donuts with the elephant sign. There was one on SW 59 and
    Land. Or was it Glenn's before it was Dennis'? I only remember Dennis'.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Opps... that was DENNIS donuts.
    I should have read all the posts. We always pronounced it 'Denny's'.

Doe's anyone remember the Abextra at Linwood and Western, they carried posters, black lights, t-shirts, etc;

Yeah I remember the place it was owned by a friend of mine's mother.

Quote Originally Posted by danielf1935 View Post
    Doe's anyone remember the Abextra at Linwood and Western, they carried posters, black lights, t-shirts, etc;
    The place was close to my heart......sniff sniff.

Prunepicker Guest

Doe's anyone remember the Abextra at Linwood and Western, they carried
    posters, black lights, t-shirts, etc;
    That was 6th and Classen. Linwood & Western is Schwab's and Nuway cleaners.
    I remember it well. I think there's a law office in that place, now.

That was the place, even if you only thought you were cool

That was the place, even if you only thought you were cool
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two blocks west and one block wouth in an old warehouse wis where the AMC (American Candy Co.) company first began then they built the old AMC (American Mutual Co.) and let the people pay for the building by charging everyone to be a member. I remember when I turned 13 I got my own card......

AMC was a cool store, I loved going there. As a matter of fact I still use a coffee grinder that I purchased back in 1985. They had red concrete floors and an intresting ceiling as well. for ever.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Two blocks west and one block wouth in an old warehouse wis where the AMC
    (American Candy Co.) company first began then they built the old AMC (American
    Mutual Co.) and let the people pay for the building by charging everyone to be a
    member. I remember when I turned 13 I got my own card...
    Didn't they move to the east side of Pennsylvania and south of 10th before they
    built that huge building on the west side?

It seems to me it was in a Quonset hut shaped building.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Yes, of course. I had the steak house and donut house confused. They're sooo similar!
    Sorry, Mike. I probably confused a lot of people. I thought as you did reading my post, I had the Glen's Steak House and the Dennis Doughnuts confused. They were just down the street and probably as a child, I confused them even then.

The Abextra. No way anyone of that era could forget that place. I bought a blacklight and a strobe light for my bedroom there. They sold blacklight posters to put near the lights and they were really, well, groovy.

Speaking of the area around Linwood/Penn and the AMC store. One of the best places to go back in the 60s and 70s to skate was the Rocket Skating Rink. I think that the Rocket had the best skating floor in town. All hardwood, and so smooth. We spent a lot of hours in that rink. And the first Monday of every month they had church night for all the OKC area Churches of Christ. We went every time they had that night. It was great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    Speaking of the area around Linwood/Penn and the AMC store. One of the best places to go back in the 60s and 70s to skate was the Rocket Skating Rink. I think that the Rocket had the best skating floor in town. All hardwood, and so smooth. We spent a lot of hours in that rink. And the first Monday of every month they had church night for all the OKC area Churches of Christ. We went every time they had that night. It was great fun.
    Oh, memories. The ROCKET! That place had a very distinct sound due to all the skates on that cool wooden rink. I hear things sometimes, with that certain roar, and I'll tell people it sounds like the old skating rink I went to as a kid with 100 kids roller skating at the same time. Then there was the Comet in high school out on 36th street - a neat place, but didn't have that same roar.

Oh, memories. The ROCKET! That place had a very distinct sound due to all the skates on that cool wooden rink. I hear things sometimes, with that certain roar, and I'll tell people it sounds like the old skating rink I went to as a kid with 100 kids roller skating at the same time. Then there was the Comet in high school out on 36th street - a neat place, but didn't have that same roar.
    I had not thought of the sound until you mentioned it...but I too remember that roar. It was without a doubt the best floor. Most other rinks had concrete floors, or the wood was wavy/rippled and made for a rough ride. But the Rocket had the most smooth floor. I hated going to one of the rinks with the concrete floor. I never was, and to this day, am not comfortable on concrete rinks. Always feel like I'm on the verge of slipping. Never felt that way on the good hardwood floors.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Was the Rocket Skating Rink ever turned into an Ice Skating Rink? I know tht's a dumb question but, my memory thinks it was....Help......By the way AMC started in an old Machine Shop then they moved next door (using both buildings) into a quonset hut.....The Homesey brothers kept growing and eventually had the building at 10th and Penn built. If you look on the South of the AMC building you'll see a warehouse...It was build first (cheaper) and then the now standing store is the finally resting place.

21. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Was the Rocket Skating Rink ever turned into an Ice Skating Rink? I know tht's a dumb question but, my memory thinks it was....Help......
    Yes it was. It was later an ice skating rink used by the old Oklahoma City Starz as a practice facility It was also open to the public for open skate. I was there only once after it was an ice skating rink and it was too sad. I was there a time or two when it had the wood floors for roller skating and had heard my mom talk of skating there. It was just sad to me, but then I'm a little sentimental about silly things sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Yes it was. It was later an ice skating rink used by the old Oklahoma City Starz as a practice facility It was also open to the public for open skate. I was there only once after it was an ice skating rink and it was too sad. I was there a time or two when it had the wood floors for roller skating and had heard my mom talk of skating there. It was just sad to me, but then I'm a little sentimental about silly things sometimes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My memory tells me ther was a rink somewhere in the OKC are called the Comet Skating rink but for the love of myself, I can't remember where it was.....Anyone?

Wasn't it on Virginia, between 10th and the Linwood curve?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My memory tells me ther was a rink somewhere in the OKC are called the Comet Skating rink but for the love of myself, I can't remember where it was.....Anyone?
    That's what he just said above, Comet was on NW 36th just a block east of MacArthur. It's still there, just a new name recently, but it looks about the same ever since I can remember it as a kid.

Here's an ad for Abextra from 8-24-80:

Thread Information