Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    There were a couple of gun ranges located north and east of Hefner lake before the soccer fields were built.
    Was that the same place where they had some big national skeet shooting competitions?

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Was that the same place where they had some big national skeet shooting competitions?
    Yes it was. I forgot all about that. It was a very nice skeet range, but shut down when they started building houses on the land to the east.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by naash1a View Post
    No one so far has mentioned the railroad bridge over western that was the target of all the graffiti at homecoming. An artsy friend of mine and her pals scraped off paint and made jewelry out of the layers before it was torn down.
    It seems to me that the bridge was not destroyed but saved. Wasn't it used as a public grafitti art during a downtown arts festival in the late 80's?

Prunepicker

I also grew up in edmond. Born in 77. I remember my lil neighborhood (the trails), when nothing was around. My baby sitter road her horse to my house. There was nothing but a field where "trails north" is now. We use to shoot off model rockets there. I remember going to the playless cashways every saturday. I remember when "steve's rib" was just a wooden shack outside the then safeway, then moved inside, then moved into their own place in the strip next to the homeland, and now to their new location. I remember being able to "cruise" and "hangout" on broadway. My spot was the godfathers. I remember "pumps" on broadway, or when there was a MacDonalds on broadway. I remember having to decide whether to stay at North or wait a year and go to Santa Fe. Glad I stayed at north. Oh so many memories.

Movie theatre have come to mind.

The May Theater on 16th & May, Now an antiques store. Saw Purple Rain there!
    The Continental, now a church or was after being a theater
    MacArthur Park 4, next door to Big Eds. Is Big Eds still there?

I read the mention of Linda Soundtrack but never her son SLUGGO!

Combined with the it's not Christmas till B.C. Clark hits the air thread...What about the OTASCO commercials with "Hi! I'm Timothy! See this and more exciting toys at Otasco!"

Any one remember the straight out of a mystery novel story when they drained the duck pond at Lake Hefner and found the car with the body from the 50's?

Read in one of the listings above about the movie TWISTER. The props department from the movie came to my grandmothers garage sale in Guthrie and bought a few things. One being an old oak toilet seat! Alas we have not been able to spot it on screen.

I am an in-betweener...School in Guthrie k-6 then moved to OKC , A big miss of mine is the 89'er day parade. Remember the buzz when it was broadcast live with Bob Eubanks was the M.C.

Naash1a <-- (me) Is an Okie native now living in Las Vegas.

Movie theatres have come to mind.

The May Theater on 16th & May, Now an antiques store. Saw Purple Rain there!
    The Continental, now a church or was after being a theater
    MacArthur Park 4, next door to Big Eds. Is Big Eds still there?

I read the mention of Linda Soundtrack but never her son SLUGGO!

Combined with the it's not Christmas till B.C. Clark hits the air thread...What about the OTASCO commercials with "Hi! I'm Timothy! See this and more exciting toys at Otasco!"

Any one remember the straight out of a mystery novel story when they drained the duck pond at Lake Hefner and found the car with the body from the 50's?

Read in one of the listings above about the movie TWISTER. The props department from the movie came to my grandmothers garage sale in Guthrie and bought a few things. One being an old oak toilet seat! Alas, we have not been able to spot it on screen.

I am an in-betweener...School in Guthrie k-6 then moved to OKC , A big miss of mine is the 89'er day parade. Remember the buzz when it was broadcast live with Bob Eubanks as the M.C.

Naash1a <-- (me) Is an Okie native now living in Las Vegas.

Prunepicker Guest

The duck pond mystery was from something that happened @ the mid 60's. The Cadillac was an early 60's. 1963 comes to mind.

Prunepicker

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdavies View Post
    I also grew up in edmond. Born in 77. I remember my lil neighborhood (the trails), when nothing was around. My baby sitter road her horse to my house. There was nothing but a field where "trails north" is now. We use to shoot off model rockets there. I remember going to the playless cashways every saturday. I remember when "steve's rib" was just a wooden shack outside the then safeway, then moved inside, then moved into their own place in the strip next to the homeland, and now to their new location. I remember being able to "cruise" and "hangout" on broadway. My spot was the godfathers. I remember "pumps" on broadway, or when there was a MacDonalds on broadway. I remember having to decide whether to stay at North or wait a year and go to Santa Fe. Glad I stayed at north. Oh so many memories.
    Grew up in Edmond too. You brought back some memories. I remember going on bike rides with my dad in the late 80's. If you went west on 15th past Santa Fe too far you were in the country. I also remember the Braum's in that area that got struck by lightening at 15th and Santa Fe and burned down.

For that matter, I remember seeing the '86 tornado go through Kelly Park (watched it out my dad's car window as we rushed to a storm shelter in downtown Edmond) right behind where the Braum's was.

Played soccer at the soccer fields off of Danforth and remember the dirt roads throughout the complex.

I was the crown bearer boy (6 years old at the time) for the 1987 Edmond Memorial Homecoming and I remember seeing what seemed like hundreds of high school students hanging out at 2nd street and Broadway by the old Safeway parking lot after the homecoming parade.

Good times.

naasha1:

The continental is gone. they tore it down a few months ago. I hated to see it go. that was the coolest theatre when it opened. That screen was huge and wrapped around the sides.

I was born at Hillcrest in Tulsa in 1981. We moved to Dallas soon after, but my mom and brother and I moved back to Oklahoma City in 1990.

I remember sitting on the old bleachers at All Sports Stadiums (that's what it was called, right) watching the 89ers. First game I ever went to they gave away mini wooden bats to all the kids. Baaaad idea!

I used to love going to Blazers' games at the "incomparable" Myriad. See if you remember these names- Simoni, Perry, Filiatrault (sp?), Smokin' Joe, Dupont, Boudreau, St. Jacque (and his huge underbite), Gomes, etc. Who did the YMCA at the second intermission, and remeber that Dancing Puck on the outdated Jumbotron? Easily the best game in town during the mid '90s. Jiminy Christmas!

I used to love to go to Spaghetti Wharehouse every year on my birthday. It was my favorite place! And those huge meatballs...

Anybody remember before the food court at Quail Springs Mall before they added the AMC Cinema? The current sitting area was non-existent. In it's place was a garden (at least it was supposed to be a garden), and a huge ground to ceiling glass wall occupied where the front of the theater is currently located. First movie I saw at AMC 24 was "You've Got Mail." I remember it was the place to be on Friday/Saturday nights in high school.

Remember the drag racing down 39th? Do they still do that?

I remember when Oklahoma City's only ice rink was Iceland in Bethany. What a dump. We played high school hockey there my senior year. Now we have Blazers Ice Centre and Arctic Edge (which just built a second rink on it's west side). Iceland was turned into an antique wharehouse a few years ago.

Anybody listen to 95X?

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    naasha1:

The continental is gone. they tore it down a few months ago. I hated to see it go. that was the coolest theatre when it opened. That screen was huge and wrapped around the sides.
    Great theater. naasha1 said the Continental was a church after its days as a theater were over. Actually, she's thinking of the Westwood on 23rd street, the Continental was never a church.

Is it just my imagination, or was there a chain of BBQ restaurants here at one time called Underwood's? That may have been some other place I lived.

Update: Never mind. I Googled it... it was someplace else.

But does anyone remember "Jimmy Jo's New Old-Fashioned Spaghetti Warehouse in the Cedar City Shopping Center"?

Great theater. naasha1 said the Continental was a church after its days as a theater were over. Actually, she's thinking of the Westwood on 23rd street, the Continental was never a church.
    Uhm er aaaahh Just to clear up here Naash1a is a boy!

Yes...there was an Underwood's BBQ in OKC. One was over on N. Penn. North of 23rd. Was great BBQ.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    naasha1:

You probably remember seeing movies in Pan-a-Vision or Vista Vision. They were shot for a wide screen and the curve eliminated distortion at the edge of the screen. The cinema experience was far better than what we put up with today.

sigh...

Prunepicker

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Is it just my imagination, or was there a chain of BBQ restaurants here at one time called Underwood's?
    There was one on S.W. 59th on the north side of the street near Western.

Prunepicker

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The duck pond mystery was from something that happened @ the mid 60's. The Cadillac was an early 60's. 1963 comes to mind.

Prunepicker
    During construction of the Hefner Parkway, a culvert under a walking path was widened, causing the duck pond on the south side of hefner to drain, revealing the roof of a car. People notified authorities, they pulled it out and two skeletons were inside the mud filled car. This was 1990. The car was a 1963 Cadillac Fleetwood.

They traced the tag to a Robert G. Elston, whose wife, Margery Elston and his daughter 18 year old Melinda Elston had been missing since Nov 21, 1963. It didn't make big news in OKC because of something that happened in Dallas the next day.

The FBI thought the husband might have done away with her because she had just inherited big money. He took out a 2000.00 reward ad in the paper. His daughter the article said walked with a limp and spoke with a lisp, she was blonde and about 5'4, the mother was 5'5" with curly brown hair. She left her glasses at home took the daughter and they went to a store and to a friend's house in Nichols Hills. She was wearing 4,000.00 in Jewelry and had $700 in cash.

When they found the car, the husband was still alive and was notified in Arizona where he lived with his second wife. He was in his late 70's at that time.
    He was relieved but couldn't come back due to poor health of his wife.
    Their daughter came to OKC and buried the two after a wake at Hahn Cook Funeral Home.

The case was the oldest on the books in Warr Acres where they lived at the time.
    There was alcohol in the car, but who knows if she was drunk. Sounds as if she just ran off the road into the pond......they actually drug parts of the lake, but not the little pond, back in 1963......

Oklahoman archives are great......

Yes...there was an Underwood's BBQ in OKC. One was over on N. Penn. North of 23rd. Was great BBQ.
    Well, that would have put it right in my neighborhood. I Googled Underwood's after I made that post, discovered it was a chain in several other cities, and thought I must have remembered it from elsewhere.

It was founded in Brownwood, TX, btw, where it is still in business today.

I was just thinking about the China House restaurant in the Lakeside shopping center on north May. (wish I could find Chicken Fried Rice like theirs in town) Draggin' Quiks and Hollies
    Being "dropped" when you went steady
    Jump City
    Johnnie's hamburgers on Britton
    Orange Julius drive in
    Football games at Taft Stadium
    Goin out to the "caves" and being scared silly
    Wedgewood
    My Mustang
    Going to the Blue Goose when I wasn't old enough
    Wow we had fun back in the day!!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jawgie View Post

Jump City

Goin out to the "caves" and being scared silly

Going to the Blue Goose when I wasn't old enough
    What was Jump City?

Where were the "caves"?

I lived down the street from the Blue Goose. You could see it from the porch.

Prunepicker

Uhm er aaaahh Just to clear up here Naash1a is a boy!
    OOPS......Sorry! I don't know why I said that. Friends?

OOPS......Sorry! I don't know why I said that. Friends?
    Of course friends! No biggy

So has the "OK memorie" thread ended?

Of course friends! No biggy

So has the "OK memorie" thread ended ?
    It's an ongoing thing. This memories thread we're posting in now actually began four years ago! There's another thread that may be even more fun for you and has many more recent postings called, "Childhood Memories of OKC". It will take forever and a day to read through them all - but great fun!

The caves that she mentioned was out by the now cowboy hall of fame.

I stumbled upon the Oklahoma City Memories thead here, and the old post from kruzun2 dated 1-24-2005. What caught my attention were the comments about the bands, and Ronnie Kaye's "The Scene" teen club and TV show. What a memory refresher for me. I remember when Ronnie bought that old theater and remodeled it into a teen club. I remember going down there with him during the tear down of the interior and seeing the sub flooring after the theater seating had been taken out......decending levels down to the stage. I remember our band appearing on his TV show along with the national act The Music Machine, who did their huge hit of the day, "Talk Talk". We did covers of The Yardbirds' "Heartful Of Soul", and a new song by a new band (at that time) named Buffalo Springfield called "For What It's Worth".

My name is Charley Lee and I was the lead vocalist in the Midnite Rebels from 1966 until the Spring of 1968, when my family moved to Texas. I remember well the Battle Of The Bands every weekend. As I recall, Ronnie originally hosted his events at a National Guard Armory before he built The Scene. A competitor station's DJ, Johnny Dark, hosted his "battles" in a building at the fairgrounds. A band called The Knightwalkers were always prominent at Johnny's events. They were good. I liked The Psychos, as well. It was always fun to be on the bill with them. Those dances were some kind of fun.

I remember when we, Midnite Rebels, had a meet up with The Buckinghams (remember "Kind Of A Drag"?) when they played out at Wedgewood. I still have a Midnite Rebels card autographed by all the Buckinghams' band members.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.......................Charley

Thread Information