Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I remember the smurfs

TulsaTV Guest

Lightbulb Re: Oklahoma City Memories

OK, now that I've done 5 posts, I'm able to add the link to comments about Ho Ho:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/gb072002.html

Keith Guest

Talk about memories….I remember when there was a shopping center at SW.44 & S. Western. There were several stores there, including a Rudy’s Bestyet grocery store. Around the corner from the shopping center, across from fire station 19, there was a Godfather’s Pizza place. I remember when the firefighters would run across the street to get a pizza if they didn’t like what was for dinner that evening.

I also remember when Lynn Hickey Dodge was always doing something strange to bring customers in. I remember when they had Evel Knieval up in the van that was up on the crane...and good ole Tom Park.

Speaking of Foreman Scotty, I was on his show when I was a kid, before most of you were born. It was actually my sister’s birthday, and naturally, I didn’t win anything. Also, good ole Kaptain Kangaroo..I sure miss him. I watched him every morning as a kid before I had to go to school.

I also remember the TG&Y in Moore (where I grew up). I actually purchased a bottle of flea and tick dip from the store, and accidently dropped it on the floor, shattering the bottle. It must have been potent stuff, because it ate the wax right off the floor. Just south of the TG&Y, there was a bicycle moto-cross track. It was fun to watch on weekends.

Then there was 14 Flags drive-in on south Western. When I heard they were tearing it down to build a housing addition, I though there was no way anybody would move in to that area. Now, it is packed.

In the media world, I do remember Linda Soundtrak and her annoying, shrilling voice. I don’t miss her. How about Ernie Schultz, Jim Williams, Lola Hall, John Snider, and Robbie Robertson (now doing Bob Howard commercials) as is Kevin Foreman (Joe Cooper Ford), a former weatherman.

I remember the U.S. Olympic festival also. I was out of a job during that time, so when it came through S. OKC by the Community College, I followed it all the way out to the airport. It was fun.

How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time.

Ok, how about those Tall Paul commercials? “Protecting all the things you own, like cars and trucks and mobile homes, with accidents and tickets too, call and we’ll take care of you at 524-1541…..that’s Paul Meade Insurance.” Scary…I still know that jingle. Ok, admit it....while reading the words to that song, you started singing it, huh?

B.C. Clark jingle…..”Jewlery is the gift to give, cause it’s the gift that will live and live, so give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clark’s…. anniversary sale. Most sales are after Christmas, but Clarks is just before, most everything is marked way down, savings you can’t ignore, at Oklahoma’s oldest jeweler, since 1892. So give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clarks anniversary sale.”

More memories to come.....

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Talk about memories….I remember when there was a shopping center at SW.44 & S. Western. There were several stores there, including a Rudy’s Bestyet grocery store. Around the corner from the shopping center, across from fire station 19, there was a Godfather’s Pizza place. I remember when the firefighters would run across the street to get a pizza if they didn’t like what was for dinner that evening.

I also remember when Lynn Hickey Dodge was always doing something strange to bring customers in. I remember when they had Evel Knieval up in the van that was up on the crane...and good ole Tom Park.

Speaking of Foreman Scotty, I was on his show when I was a kid, before most of you were born. It was actually my sister’s birthday, and naturally, I didn’t win anything. Also, good ole Kaptain Kangaroo..I sure miss him. I watched him every morning as a kid before I had to go to school.

I also remember the TG&Y in Moore (where I grew up). I actually purchased a bottle of flea and tick dip from the store, and accidently dropped it on the floor, shattering the bottle. It must have been potent stuff, because it ate the wax right off the floor. Just south of the TG&Y, there was a bicycle moto-cross track. It was fun to watch on weekends.

Then there was 14 Flags drive-in on south Western. When I heard they were tearing it down to build a housing addition, I though there was no way anybody would move in to that area. Now, it is packed.

In the media world, I do remember Linda Soundtrak and her annoying, shrilling voice. I don’t miss her. How about Ernie Schultz, Jim Williams, Lola Hall, John Snider, and Robbie Robertson (now doing Bob Howard commercials) as is Kevin Foreman (Joe Cooper Ford), a former weatherman.

I remember the U.S. Olympic festival also. I was out of a job during that time, so when it came through S. OKC by the Community College, I followed it all the way out to the airport. It was fun.

How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time.

Ok, how about those Tall Paul commercials? “Protecting all the things you own, like cars and trucks and mobile homes, with accidents and tickets too, call and we’ll take care of you at 524-1541…..that’s Paul Meade Insurance.” Scary…I still know that jingle. Ok, admit it....while reading the words to that song, you started singing it, huh?

B.C. Clark jingle…..”Jewlery is the gift to give, cause it’s the gift that will live and live, so give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clark’s…. anniversary sale. Most sales are after Christmas, but Clarks is just before, most everything is marked way down, savings you can’t ignore, at Oklahoma’s oldest jeweler, since 1892. So give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clarks anniversary sale.”

More memories to come.....
    The "pitchman" was Curt Scwartz. He died in a Delta crash at DFW in 1985. Tall Paul? Neat spots. Linda Soundtrack? Never really bothered me much. Christmas is not Christmas in Oklahoma City without the BC Clark jingle.

I also remember 14 flags. I am surprised Winchester has not been demolished.

My main TG&Y memory is the big one at 240 and Pennsylvania. When it opened in 1962 (Aprox) the opening act was Buck Owens. I remember being the "mascot" for the store and will always be greatful to Gerrel Johnson for getting me my first job there. Mr. Johnson was a dear friend and his son David will be well beyond our days on earth.

The shopping center is Redding. A bit still remains, but the majority is now a medical center. Lynn Hickey? My dad always liked him. And Forman Scotty? Who in our generation could forget.

larrys66cafe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    - You know the unofficial Oklahoma Christmas Carol, the BC Clark Anniversary sale song

- You're the only one in the car that knows you're getting close to Oklahoma City by seeing the large cluster of TV towers on the horizon after dark and you tell your fellow passengers, "Well, we're about there," and they don't have a clue how you know that other than guessing you read a highway sign.

Continue the Renaissance!!!
    I still know that BC Clark jingle like the back of my hand, and I miss it terribly!! I have downloaded from their website and play it every so often; needless to say, I've been playing it a lot recently.

And yes, do I ever miss those towers and seeing OKC at night. I even saved a .jpg from The Oklahoman website (a TV 9 webcam) of OKC at 6:00AM from the Integris site. I miss that place terribly!

As mentioned by someone above, in fact, I remember the construction of Lake Hefner Parkway in 1990. I remember when Hefner Drive went all the way around the lake and now it doesn't, due to the parkway. I've also lived several places there [mostly in and around Warr Acres]. When I lived at 122nd Street & MacArthur, I can remember it being almost desolate and barren. [I worked at the Sonic Drive-In there.] The last time I visited OKC a couple years ago, that area was booming and thriving!!!!

I can only imagine what it will look like when we visit next year!!!!

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

I have a historic moment:

There was one day when I went to work. I had a meeting scheduled for 10:00 with some people. We got in the meeting, and 10 minutes later we found out that the bombing had happened. I led our group in prayer. 15 minutes later we found out one of the attendants who we were looking for was in the building. We all realized how one minute, you can be furious at someone for being late, and next minute mourn their death, and that these things happen at anytime, and anywhere. In OKC, you would always expect a tornado or freeway accident to take lives, not terorism.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I actually met Linda Soundtrak (Verin). Very nice, and only slightly reminiscent of the cartoon character she became in her TV spots.

The real old-timers here can probably tell you about KOKH-TV (yes, channel 25, and they've had the same call letters all along) when it was an educational station run by Oklahoma City Public Schools out of the old adminstration building on Klein.

And remember: At Penn Square Bank you can beep for bucks.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Was that the bank that started the national economic crisis?

Patrick Guest

Ah, simply put, Penn Square decided to issue a ton of bad loans to oil and gas companies. THey loaned much more money than they had to back it up. Many other banks wanted to get into the growing oil and gas market...thus they purchased Penn Square's "overlines", thinking that Penn Square new the local oil and gas market well and used this expertise to issue "good" loans with high interest rates. Well, these other banks were sadly mistaken. With Penn Square's foolish and somewhat fraudelant practices, obviously the day came when bankruptcy was the only option. Because of the alliances they had with several other banks on these loans, other banks lost millions as a result of Penn Square's collapse.

Okay, for a better description check out: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/727318/posts

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Yupp. The day was July 5, 1982. A lot of Oklahoma Citians were at Lake Texoma for Independence Day when the collapse was announced on the radio.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

"The real old-timers here can probably tell you about KOKH-TV (yes, channel 25, and they've had the same call letters all along) when it was an educational station run by Oklahoma City Public Schools out of the old adminstration building on Klein."

Keep Our Kids Happy

mistipetal Guest

Springlake. That's one of my favorite memories as a kid. They had a lil roller coaster I could ride forever. Great summer days and so much fun. I cried when I heard it burnt down.

The Reding movie theatre and the apollo twin (sneaking into R rated movies to sit behind the cute boys) I remember when Crossroads was brand new and for me was huge.

The May 3 tornado wiped out the area I ran in as a kid and the homes of my best friends, first real boyfriend. We were over there almost every day.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about the 1930's and 40's OKC. She used to be a Rosy the Riveter at Tinker, would go downtown and see all the jazz greats at the smoke filled clubs and dance.

I remember my horror when I heard there was going to be a dome covering our capital building. In school, loving the two unique things about Oklahoma capital, we were the only ones without a dome and the only ones with an oil well.

I can't remember his name, but the late night host of bad movies who dressed like a vampire...help me out on this one.

kruzun2 Guest

Count Gregor was the name of the vampire on the late night movies. I actually met him at Crossroads mall a few years ago when I took my children to Kids Club and had my picture taken with him. He was very nice and not near as old as I thought he would be. He must have been really young when he started doing his spot.

kruzun2 Guest

I was born in Edmond over the movie theater, but grew up in south OKC.

There are so many memories that I don't even know where to start. Redding shopping center was actually a farm and when they put the stores in he, Mr. Redding, still lived in his farm house on the north end of the farm at the corner of Western and 36th. I remember seeing horses running. Douglas, to the west of Western, was a dirt road in the early 1950's. I remember when they built South Community hospital, I still call it this to this day. Housing did not go much past 59th street on the south.

We did not have interstate highways. I can remember going to Texas on the old highway 77. When I-35 came in it was great on time, but we missed going through all the small towns.

Capitol Hill was it's own little town with a Katz drug store, Jack and Jill children's store, John A. Brown's (I remember their basement), J.C. Penny's right next door, and Capitol Hill Baptist Church with Hugh Bumpas as pastor. There were lots more, but the memory cells are going. I remember my mom taking me shopping and walking down the street and looking in the windows. Dad used to go to the Katz between Sunday School and church and have a cup of coffee. One time Conway Twitty sat down next to him.

Speaking of Oklahoma Country stars, how many remember Butch and Ben McCain and that Garth Brooks got his start on their show. I remember watching the morning he was on. I have a Butch and Ben signed album. Hum... wonder how much it would be worth on E-bay.

We used to go the the show at the Redskin. It was a really nice walk-in. Sad to see what they have become now.

Someone mentioned the Milk building. My grandfather worked there. Which reminds me of the Anna Maude (I think I spelled it right) Cafeteria downtown. My mother and several aunts worked there.

I found this board when I was looking for information on TG&Y. The National Headquarters were located at 36th and N. Santa Fe. I worked there for 15 years. The best store was at 74th and Penn, the Super store, where you could buy anything, but I really liked the one in Reddings.

One person mentioned Holly's. What about the Spot? That's where all the Capitol Hill students were. We used to drive from the Spot to Hollies to another place on Classen (can't remember the name right now) and back. For good root beer we went to Weber's which is now Colt's. There was a little cafe on the north west corner from Captiol Hill Jr. High call the Lil' Chief. I remember a grocery store on the corner of Western and 25th. I think it was called Kispert's. They had the largest frankfurthers.

I better close now. Will add more later.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I would really appreciate hearing all you can share about your memories of Capitol Hill. It's the one part of town we don't hear enough about.

mistipetal Guest

kruzun2 Thanks! Count Gregor. I watched all the time. I can't believe he is still around. I felt like he was ancient when he was on, must have been some good makeup.

downtownguy,

I didn't grow up in capital hill, my memories are pretty much mid-del...sorry.

kruzun2 Guest

In thinking last night about Captiol Hill there is a lot I want to talk about, but need to reach back in my memory and get the names right.

But I do remember "The Scene" run by Ronnie Kaye. It was located on Agnew north of SW 29th. He held dances there for teenagers in the late 60's. He also held Battle Of The Bands. My husband played bass in the Psyterions. The main group who always won were the Psychos with Danny White. The Midnight Rebels were from the north side of OKC. They used to bring a large crowd with them. I heard the other day that Danny owns a Jazz club in OKC. We had lots of fun at the Scene. Ronnie Kaye also had a TV show on Saturday mornings called The Scene. I know that there have been several Reunions held at the fair grounds with the bands who played back then. We went to the first one and had a lot of fun.

I will try to do some research and get the names of the stores in Reddings and other places. I can remember when strip malls were new and the big malls like Crossroads were not even thought of.

Does anyone remember the Humpty Dumpty grocery stores? We had two around us. One in Redding's and one on 29th.

I also remember when McDonalds came to town. Untill then we only had places like Webber's A&W and Del Rancho for drive in fast food. The one I remember was located on 29th east of May. This was in the late 60's as I was in high school and the boys (they did not hire girls) went to work there and we would go and buy a order of fries so we could flirt with them. Does anyone remember that they used to have a sign saying how many hamburgers they had sold. I remember when they hit one million.

Rancho Village Baptist Church, located just south of 36th street between Blackwelder and Kentucky, was struck by lightning and you could still send the spot in the bell tower a few years ago. My husband remembers when it happened as he lived on 36th and saw it happen.

As I think of more I will add to this.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I worked at that Mickey D's during the summer of 1970. (Not one girl ever flirted with me, but then I had no reason to expect that any of them would.) What I made (at $1.95 an hour or thereabouts) got deposited in Stock Yards Bank.

mistipetal Guest

What about Sonic...it was an early fast food place around. My parents actually met and fell for one another there. Still together also. It was the place to hang out and flirt. It's still there. I remember telling my daughter how her grandparents met at this very sonic. She thought that was cooooool.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I was at Will Rogers World Airport on Sunday dropping family off for their flight back to Houston. We had to go to the old snack bar in the old Concourse C because the food places in the new concourse are beyond passenger check point. Needless to say, I can't wait until the old terminal is nothing BUT a memory.

USG'86 Guest

I was 16 in 1984 when I got my first job sacking at Rudy's Redbud at Redding Shopping Center. Rudy Pybus was the owner. One day I met Mr. Redding and his daughter in the parking lot after carrying groceries out for a customer. He must have been in his 80s then. He got out of his daughter's white Continental and just stood there staring at the 'Redding Shopping Center' sign. She must have noticed me staring at her father staring, and explained that he liked to look at his name on the sign. Eeew-kay, I thought. I went back to work. That job lasted just long enough to earn the money to buy myself a '78 Cutlass.

A few stores down from Rudy's was Otasco. I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet. Maybe they have and I missed it. I thought Otasco was a fairly odd collection of stuff, from Auto Parts to Toys, in a very small store.

My second job was at Home Software at Crossroads (lower level entrance corridor near Penney's). While I was there, we carried software for the Apple II, Macintosh, Commodore VIC-20 & 64, Amiga, IBM PC/PCjr, and Atari 400/800/ST. Across the hall from us was a restaurant called The Lion's Den (I think). I was a sucker for the chocolate-chip cookies they sold to weak-willed people right at the restaurant entrance. They had red house phones at each table to place your order, and when it was ready a red light would flash on your phone. They had another restaurant on S. Penn, just north of 44th. I always ordered the Hickory Burger.

Going back a few more years, I remember my Grandpa took me to see OETA's Festival '76 in the center of the open-air Penn Square Mall. I just remember that they played the music really, really loudly over the speakers when they went live for a pledge segment from the mall.

I miss TG&Y, too. In addition to the countless toys my family got me there, I bought a Kodak Super 8 movie camera at the store on 74th & Penn when I was about 11. I think I still have it around here somewhere. I put it on lay-a-way because I think it cost me close to 35 bucks! My Grandpa always had dozens of creative alternative names for the TG&Y acronym. 'Turtles, Girdles and Yo-Yos' was my favorite. I remember I always blushed when he said 'girdles.'

Thanks for the memories, folks.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I know all the joke names for TG&Y, however, I have a question. (I know the answer, I am just seeing if anyone else does).

If you worked at TG&Y and remember your employee manual, you know this. What did the letters TG&Y really stand for?

Keith Guest

I also have some real good memories of the Redding Shopping Center, and Rudy's Bestyet. I was in my early 20's (in 1982), and I was a salesman for a food broker that was based out of Tulsa. I only lived a few blocks from the Redding, and Rudy Pybas was one of my best customers.

He had stores at SW.59 & Penn, and SW.59 & May, and I became very good friends with the managers of each store. I remember when Rudy had his business office in an office complex at SW.89 & Penn. I would call his office and set up appointments with Rudy, so that I could buy space in his weekly flyer to advertise my products. Everytime I went in to see him, he always had a smile on his face, and he was very friendly. He was a very easy man to do business with, and I always felt comfortable talking to him. One thing you never did was lie to Rudy, or try to get one past him. I had too much respect for him to try anything like that, but I did witness a few other salesmen doing that, and he promply kicked some of their products out of all his stores.

I also remember when he bought the Buy-For-Less store at SE.44 & I-35. Many salesmen were setting up appointments with him to set up big grand opening specials. I actually sold him 3 semi truckloads of Libby's canned vegetables, and he sold them for 4/$1.00. You never see that anymore.

Eventually, Southwest Medical Center bought the land and was planning on expanding. Because of that, all the stores in the shopping center had to be shut down, and then they were all torn down so that the expansion of the hospital could begin. One of the saddest days of my life as a salesman, was the day that I heard that Mr. Pybas had passed away. He was certainly an excellent business owner, and was always talking to each employee he saw in his stores. They were like family to him. His legacy and the great memories will always be there.

I live near Detroit, my best memory was when I first visited OKC two years ago, and have been back twelve times since. I visited to meet a woman I had been talking to and not only fell in love with her, but also OKC. We no longer talk, but I still want to move there.

Zoedith Guest

I miss the Mcdonalds with the biplane inside. I believe it was the one at meridian and I-40. We had out bithday parties there and would east off the wings.

Other places for birthdays were showbiz pizza, and crystals pizza. I hear there is a crystals pizza in texas that also has the cartoon room.

I remember as a preteen being dropped off at the dollar shows. The one of NW Expressway and the one off 2-40.

I also remember Photon. Does anyone else remember that? I still have my little ID. My brother would get so mad at me for following him around and getting him shot.

One of the first video rental stores was right by white water.

Thread Information