Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Yeah our old neighbor hood has turned into little matamoras, there isnot one family left there from back in the day and dare I say you dont go there at night now without a new ventilation system installed in both sides of your vehicle. The southside we remembered as kids has gone away with the oldsmobile. Gone forever with no chance of ever coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    OLD????? man, I can remember getting 10 burgers for $1.00....and NOT $1.00 each...How about a coke for a nickle or a big Snickers Candy Bar for 5 Cents....To go to the Chieftain movie, Saturday morning and the Matine it cost 15 cents to get in.... 10 cents for popcorn....and 10 cents for a large coke. During the Summer time we would take 2 Coke Bottles to the Tivoli in Ardmore and stay there all day with less than a quarter in our pocket....
    I remember the Tivoli theatre, My Grandparents lived in Ardmore.

> But the lady next door doesn't speak a word of it.

Buy her a universal translator ... problem solved
    8^)

OLD????? man, I can remember getting 10 burgers for $1.00....and NOT $1.00 each...How about a coke for a nickle or a big Snickers Candy Bar for 5 Cents....To go to the Chieftain movie, Saturday morning and the Matine it cost 15 cents to get in.... 10 cents for popcorn....and 10 cents for a large coke. During the Summer time we would take 2 Coke Bottles to the Tivoli in Ardmore and stay there all day with less than a quarter in our pocket....
    I remember the Tivoli theatre, my Grandparents lived in Ardmore.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Yeah our old neighbor hood has turned into little matamoras, there isnot one family left there from back in the day and dare I say you dont go there at night now without a new ventilation system installed in both sides of your vehicle. The southside we remembered as kids has gone away with the oldsmobile. Gone forever with no chance of ever coming back.
    I lived on the southside my whole life until 2000, moved to an old house on the northside and believe it or not the neighborhood reminds me of how the southside where I grew up used to be, (except we have 24 hour armed security).

Quote Originally Posted by OKCWINO View Post
    I lived on the southside my whole life until 2000, moved to an old house on the northside and believe it or not the neighborhood reminds me of how the southside where I grew up used to be, (except we have 24 hour armed security).
    What's the old saying? "You can't ever go home" - Lots of truth that....

You can go but, you better learn another language....I remember growing up there was a family of Creek Indians that lived across the street...The Great Grandfather was still alive and he tried to teach me the language....Didn't work....But, it was cool listening to his stories. We're talking someone from the late 1800's ..... Welcome to OKLAHOMA

does anyone remember the old Volkstube? It was located on N.W. Highway just off May avenue.....

does anyone remember the old Volkstube? It was located on N.W. Highway just off May avenue.....
    Right behind the Steak N' Ale !! Down in a basement...

oh yeah....how come I never saw you there????

I was there weekend before last...my parents still live in the same house that I grew up in. They bought it in December of 65, before that was a rent house near 18th & Tulsa for a little over year and my first six months or so in Altus. I has definitely changed in 44 years but there are still a few of the old neighbors still there and I occasionally see a few of the neighborhood "kids" visiting as well.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I has definitely changed...
    You or the neighborhood?

add a "t" ......

But both of us have in 44 years.

Typelexia getting to me again......

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    add a "t" ...

But both of us have in 44 years.

Typelexia getting to me again...
    THAT'S GOOD! Real good!

Typelexia! Hey, I'll bet you're a Wordsmith!

Wait a minute. You're over 44? I'm trying to calculate this...
    bluegod + 44 equals... meet you at the political forum...

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Since we have a new "crew" in the memories threads I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    I remember that as well we were on I-35 in Dallas headed home from working down there, was the pitch man bledso and was he not in fact on the plane also

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy S View Post
    Beverly's Chicken in the Rough ruined me for living in Muskogee. I grew up thinking that a Muskogee Rougher was a chicken or a rooster. It actually is something like a bulldog in an oilpatch.

How many remember Tom Padjam of Padjam Toyota, back when nobody drove Toyotas. "HI!!!!!"

Christmas at Penn Square before it got malled, the big Triangle Santa or Christmas Tree by Wards.
    Man I forgot all about padjam toyota and tom

wonder what happened to him

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    I remember that as well we were on I-35 in Dallas headed home from working down there, was the pitch man bledso and was he not in fact on the plane also
    Bledsoe was not the pitchman, Schwartz was. Schwartz was the guy that said "No, that's Southwest Ford" at the end of the Southwest Ford commercials in response to someone else saying "That's incredible!". Schwartz was killed in the Delta Airlines plane crash in Dallas.

Here is my original post:

Originally Posted by FRISKY
    I arrived at this site while searching for a 1985 Southwest Ford commercial “The High Plains Drifter, drifting into SW Ford” that showed an ultralight airplane landing in the parking lot. I was assisting Gene Bledsoe owner of the Hang-Glider Ultralight Shop and one of my best friends to film the commercial.

I can’t forget our conversation with Mr. Schwartz as the film crew was putting together the commercial from several different cuts of video they had filmed earlier in the day.

Mr. Schwartz asked if we flew those “things” all the time, to which we replied, “Yes, it’s a lot of fun. Want to try it?” His response was, “You guys are crazy. You won’t ever catch me flying in one of those things. I won’t fly in anything smaller that a 747.”

His statement was ironic because he was killed a few weeks later in the Aug. 2 crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas.
    I am still looking for any information about that "High Plains Drifter, Drifting into Southwest Ford" commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Bledsoe was not the pitchman, Schwartz was. Schwartz was the guy that said "No, that's Southwest Ford" at the end of the Southwest Ford commercials in response to someone else saying "That's incredible!". Schwartz was killed in the Delta Airlines plane crash in Dallas.

Here is my original post:

I am still looking for any information about that "High Plains Drifter, Drifting into Southwest Ford" commercial.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    you lost me Frisky...I was working then ..... had a real job....

Schwartz was also the guy who did. " 7-11 we got some" Commercials too?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz6903 View Post
    Schwartz was also the guy who did. " 7-11 we got some" Commercials too?
    ================================================== =======
    yeah...Remember him always holding a "Slushy"???? from 7-11. I've posted this before but my wife and I were driving past DFW when tht plane crashed...Man, that light was so bright & it was so spooky......

Hey, does anyone remember the area of town that was called Sand Town??? the area has gone by the wayside of the new 1-40. Used to go down there to see if we could help anyone and invariably they would us. Self suffient people. Admire that group of people....

Hey, does anyone remember the area of town that was called Sand Town??? the area has gone by the wayside of the new 1-40. Used to go down there to see if we could help anyone and invariably they would us. Self suffient people. Admire that group of people....
    Are you refering to the FLATS?

The sand town off penn and the river was known as the Community camp. Mulligans flats in North of the railroad tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz6903 View Post
    The sand town off penn and the river was known as the Community camp. Mulligans flats in North of the railroad tracks.
    ================================================== =========
    so right my friend. People have always gotten those two areas confused. Sand Town was just thrown together make shift shelters that were established as dwellings as time went on. They maintained their own streets....No concrete but they were always bladed made to look as good as possible. No granted as time went on the elements changed and it became a bad place to live. The flats have been there forever. There a numerous Churches in the area and Mark Twain school is there...and it is a viable neighborhood...Location is classified as from May ave to Penn from N.W. 10th to Reno....

The very tail end was on the west side of the old May Bridge. Strictly sticks, tarpaper and "tin." It changed nearly daily. My mom was the first personnel director at Baptist hospital. Every day we all loaded in the car at home at SW 56th and May, drove north on May to NW Highway to get to the hospital, then we would drive to Grant where we kids were dumped out and dad would go to work. It was done in reverse in the afternoon. So I crossed the bridge twice a day for a year (until my sister got her driver's liscence) so looking out the west window as we crossed the bridge to see what was different from the day before, or even since morning, was like a little movie. It was our own little soap opera.

Thread Information