Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    It was the 1957 State Fair. That was the first year at the new location.
    I was probably there and didn't know it.

I remember that fair like it was yesterday. There was so much attention towards the Arrows to Atoms and the New Race Track...I remember we were able to park inside the fairgrounds FREE....I think it cost a quarter to get in and then the rides were 10 cents. However, My mother only gave us $2.00 and we actually came home with money in our pocket.....Not all of the buildings were built and especially the Arena....But, we had a GREAT Time at the Great State Fair of ....Oklahoma.....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    There was so much attention towards the Arrows to Atoms and the New
    Race Track...
    Didn't you say that the Arrow was destroyed? It seems to me that someone
    on these forums said that.

I think I have a photo of plane putting out red, white and blue smoke over the arrow.

Interesting link--> SemiCenntenial

Ah, the Fair:....After the Fair Grounds were moved to it's current location the changes in OKC were trmendous. I can't even believe how much as occurred at the OKC fair grounds...The Drag Strip was there on the south side for many years....the Stock Car races moved from Taft Stadium and history repeats itself.
    I can still remember the Midway was on dirt and not the Blacktop like it is today. And, invaribly it would rain and you would be out to your knees in mud. Schools were all let out for Fair day...What happened there....i remember the Free school day tickets and the trouble we got into on those days....

Don`t the schools still give out free fair tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Don`t the schools still give out free fair tickets?
    I don't know. I do remember one time that we (Grant Jr. High) were given and extra 10% on our overall grade if we did an Actual report on the fair. That didn't mean "I Went To The Fair". You had to go into depth and bring some of the brochures (Pictures were considered a bonus then) in with your report....It wasn't just a bunch of junk and Mrs. Hall made sure it wasn't a bunch of Junk...But, it was well worth the effort when you were really nervous about your School grades....Not like today....(not starting anything)....

I remember my Mom taking us kids to the fair and letting us off unsupervised for the day. (Wouldn't happen today) Well..first thing I do is head for the Midway and spend all my money in about an hour, which leaves me with nothing to do but wander thru the exhibit bldgs. all day. I did however get to see and learn alot of things I wouldn't have if I hadn't blown all my money. I learned a big lesson about money that day, that it is real important. Also..do you remember the games that paid off with cigs.? Sure was a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I remember my Mom taking us kids to the fair and letting us off unsupervised for the day. (Wouldn't happen today) Well..first thing I do is head for the Midway and spend all my money in about an hour, which leaves me with nothing to do but wander thru the exhibit bldgs. all day. I did however get to see and learn alot of things I wouldn't have if I hadn't blown all my money. I learned a big lesson about money that day, that it is real important. Also..do you remember the games that paid off with cigs.? Sure was a different time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember the games that paid off in cigarettes and I also remember the games that paid with cash. There were many shyster at the fair back then and they didn't care......I remember a bunch of kids from the band was there and we were talking and I said (rather loud) I' m sure I can wind (my girlfriend then) one of those teddy bears....When I do you guys watch and see how I do it and you can wind....the guy heard me and I put up my quarter....Bingo, won a Huge Teddy Bear.....Told the guy THANKS and we all walked off...He was hollering at the others about how they too could win a big bear.....Yeah Right....Still had a great time....and got a kiss for the Teddy Bear....What a day....Band Day at the Great State Fair of Oklahoma....Hey, this would be a good Thread I thinnk....

Yo 64...You seem to always have an angle on everything. I applaude and admire that trait.

If you keep making the Right Angle, you end up where you started:....HUH????

Hey '70 do you remember anything about the Auditorium at Grant????You know, the cubby hole under the stage????

No 64 the cubby hole was something I wasn't aware of, but I bet you got a story about it.[laughs]

Does anybody remember an old club that was built to look like a wrecked ship just W. of the riding stables at Draper Lake?

Prunepicker Guest

Hey '70 do you remember anything about the Auditorium at Grant? You know,
    the cubby hole under the stage?
    I had study hall in the auditorium with Coach Everett. Most of my time was
    used sticking pages of note book paper in my mouth and making giant spit
    wads. I'd throw them on the wall and see how high I could get them. Then,
    a friend of mine, who was sentenced to the front row in front of Coach, and I
    started throwing them at each other when nobody was looking. I was in the
    back. Once, as Coach was leaving, I threw a big one, my friend ducked and
    I hit the teach on the back of his shoe. The next thing you heard was,
    "Prunepicker! Get up here right now!". Cost me 3 hard swats.

Prunepicker Guest

Hey '70 do you remember anything about the Auditorium at Grant? You know,
    the cubby hole under the stage?
    I had study hall in the auditorium with Coach Everett. Most of my time was
    used sticking pages of note book paper in my mouth and making giant spit
    wads. I'd throw them on the wall and see how high I could get them. Then,
    a friend of mine, who was sentenced to the front row in front of Coach, and I
    started throwing them at each other when nobody was looking. I was in the
    back. Once, as Coach was leaving, I threw a big one, my friend ducked and
    I hit the teach on the back of his shoe. The next thing you heard was,
    "Prunepicker! Get up here right now!". Cost me 3 hard swats. He was the
    golf coach.

Hey, you're repeating yourself.....I would imagine you had your fair share of "Swats".....For the younger crowd that means that you bent over, grab your ankles and the teacher began to beat you profusely with a paddle....Oh for those days again....What am I thinking??????

Prunepicker remembers the stage and the cubbyhole don't you sir????

I don't remember the shipwreck on 104 but I do remember a school bus going into the wall of Texanna Red's...thought that was cool.....

Prunepicker Guest

Prunepicker remembers the stage and the cubbyhole don't you sir?
    That was called the "Trap Room". You could get there from the front of
    the stage and I think there was a place in the back. Wasn't there a
    prompter box, too? It's been a long time.

Prunepicker Guest

... but I do remember a school bus going into the wall of Texanna Red's...
    thought that was cool...
    And they just left it there, too!

Man yall are old!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Man yall are old!
    OLD????? man, I can remember getting 10 burgers for $1.00....and NOT $1.00 each...How about a coke for a nickle or a big Snickers Candy Bar for 5 Cents....To go to the Chieftain movie, Saturday morning and the Matine it cost 15 cents to get in.... 10 cents for popcorn....and 10 cents for a large coke. During the Summer time we would take 2 Coke Bottles to the Tivoli in Ardmore and stay there all day with less than a quarter in our pocket....

Beverly's Chicken in the Rough ruined me for living in Muskogee. I grew up thinking that a Muskogee Rougher was a chicken or a rooster. It actually is something like a bulldog in an oilpatch.

How many remember Tom Padjam of Padjam Toyota, back when nobody drove Toyotas. "HI!!!!!"

Christmas at Penn Square before it got malled, the big Triangle Santa or Christmas Tree by Wards.

OKLAHOMA CITY MEMORIES:....When was the last time you went back to your old neighborhood? you know, the place where YOU were in charge and all the younger kids listened to YOU?...I went back last week and guess what? the little kids had guns and didn't care who I thought I was...OMG they all spoke a different language ....sounded like something I was supposed to have learned in HighSchool.....The Ice Cream man was pushing a little cart and ringing a bell I got my iced cream (plastic container) and asked him how much? he said NO Savvy?????so, I thought I had him now...ended up I paid three times what he really got for the iced cream....I think we were both happy...I got out of the neighborhood and he kept the $5.00 I gave him....they used to cost a nickle....MEMORIES OF OKLAHOMA CITY.....How times have changed....

Prunepicker Guest

...When was the last time you went back to your old neighborhood? you
    know, the place where YOU were in charge and all the younger kids listened
    to YOU?
    Was there such a place? lol

I drive by about every other month or so, when I'm in the area. There's one
    family who still live in the same house - since '59! I haven't seen them in a
    couple of years. Guess I better run by.

Im still in the old neighborhood. Always amazed me Star Trek aliens all spoke english. But the lady next door doesn't speak a word of it.

Now, think about it .....have you began your concealed weapons course yet????
    When did the kids begin to have more money that the working moms and dads and all the kids do is sit on the street corners.....do they just find this money laying in the streets or what???? when I was fourteen all I wanted was a motor scooter (preferably a Cushman) these kids have cars by then. I do admire them though they have conquered two languages and I'm still having problems with one....I was scared to death on report card day if I had a grade lower than a "C" now the "C" is the new "A"......Oh well, getting old I guess but, that Iced cream was really good....

Thread Information