Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Do any of you guys remember throwing SALVO TABLETS in the fountain Down
    Town? I didn't do it I promise... I saw who did though...
    Other targets were the fountain at the Christian Church on 36th & N. Walker
    and the fountain on 39th in Bethany. I don't remember seeing the one at
    Memorial park being attacked. There's something about a fountain that
    attracts soap.

Wonder why they quit making Salvo Tablets??? My dad and his brothers one time took a bar of soap to the railroad tracks a Frontier City....Never saw my dad do anything like that but, never saw my dad laugh so hard when the train would or couldn't go....My mom thought it was funny also but he still got a stern lecture.....

I remember calling the street people "Drunks" not the Homeless....I remember they always hung out on Reno downtown. But, they were mostly harmless and really would work for a small fee and be proud of it. I remember one time having a rubber Halloween Mask turned inside out and scaring one...thought that was so funny until he got up from falling and had miraculously sobered up.....We couldn't get the car going fast enough and he taught us some new words.....and how to keep from wetting out pants.....That was mean on our part but, he won in the end....

Also remember going to the bus station every Saturday night to have our Cole Hahn Cordovans shined. The first time that guy put alcohol and a match to my shoes (to melt the wax) I almost bolted and ran......He could make them shine...

I'm still pretty new on here and haven't made it to all the pages, but does anyone remember Cock 'o the Walk?

Prunepicker Guest

I remember calling the street people "Drunks" not the Homeless... I remember
    they always hung out on Reno downtown. But, they were mostly harmless
    and really would work for a small fee and be proud of it.
    Other names were bums, winos and transients. They were words that
    described them instead of sugar coating them. It wasn't derogatory as much
    as keeping your mind focused on what they were.

Reno was a magnet. Remember St. George's Hotel? Green Lizard?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Other names were bums, winos and transients. They were words that
    described them instead of sugar coating them. It wasn't derogatory as much
    as keeping your mind focused on what they were.

Reno was a magnet. Remember St. George's Hotel? Green Lizard?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't think you were that old....Those were some really nasty looking places...
    you know, most of the people that were on the streets were not harmful. Now, you've got to be careful down there....Not being silly but there are some that have cooked their brains and a not all there...

I'm still new here and haven't read all the posts, but does anyone remember Cock 'o the Walk?

I'am sure most of you guys remember the Lone Star brewery on Douglas a few blocks S. of Linwood. The bldg. is still there, its now the Oklahoma League For The Blind.

I was rasied in the area of the Lone Star Brewing Co., I went to Willard elementary, and Central Junior High for 2 years before we moved the the S. side of OKC. I really enjoyed my 2 years at Central, for those to young or that didn't know of Central, it's was located at NW 7th and Robinson, it's now the main office's for SW Bell.

I remember when I was 5--6, we bought are meat from a little butcher shop named Chiefs, it was at the NW corner of NW 3rd and Douglas, and a block west, was a neighborhood store, Chapmans, it was right next door to the offices of Roberson Steel Co.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danielf1935 View Post
    I was raised in the area of the Lone Star Brewing Co., I went to Willard
    elementary, and Central Junior High for 2 years before we moved the the S.
    side of OKC. I really enjoyed my 2 years at Central, for those to young or
    that didn't know of Central, it's was located at NW 7th and Robinson, it's now
    the main office's for SW Bell.
    Prunette's parents graduated from Central. That was back in the days when
    dirt was clean.

Is the Lone Star Brewing Co. still the League for the Blind?

I was rasied in the area of the Lone Star Brewing Co., I went to Willard elementary, and Central Junior High for 2 years before we moved the the S. side of OKC. I really enjoyed my 2 years at Central, for those to young or that didn't know of Central, it's was located at NW 7th and Robinson, it's now the main office's for SW Bell.

I remember when I was 5--6, we bought are meat from a little butcher shop named Chiefs, it was at the NW corner of NW 3rd and Douglas, and a block west, was a neighborhood store, Chapmans, it was right next door to the offices of Roberson Steel Co.
    Actually SW Bell or AT&T as it's now known, moved out several years ago, it's some HQ for Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance or something similar to that name.

Quote Originally Posted by amstoker View Post
    I'm still new here and haven't read all the posts, but does anyone remember Cock 'o the Walk?
    Hey, on the Southside Memory thread there was a discussion about Cock-o-walk...One of the last few pages.....

Prunette's parents graduated from Central. That was back in the days when
    dirt was clean.

Is the Lone Star Brewing Co. still the League for the Blind?
    Hey, I think so....I remember when Lone Star Brewery was in that building. I became friends with the CEO (Floyd Scheidner) and had gone to visit him one day. He had a direct head coming into his office on that ICE Cold BEER...Man, it was good. I belonged to SERTOMA on the Southside at the time and we were going hunting as a group (Dumb idea) and my job was to see if Lone Star would donate a few cases of beer.....When I went there I had a 1961 Short Bed Chevy Pick-up...Floyd said "Sure" and I gave the keys to one of his Warehousemen. When I left there was 125 cases of beer stacked on the truck....Not much hunting went on thaat week-end....

I worked in this area for years and did not know Willard school was even there, or the Pilot Center Park next to it. I just found it on Google street view.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    I arrived at this site while searching for a 1985 Southwest Ford commercial “The High Plains Drifter, drifting into SW Ford” that showed an ultralight airplane landing in the parking lot. I was assisting Gene Bledsoe owner of the Hang-Glider Ultralight Shop and one of my best friends to film the commercial.

I can’t forget our conversation with Mr. Schwartz as the film crew was putting together the commercial from several different cuts of video they had filmed earlier in the day.

Mr. Schwartz asked if we flew those “things” all the time, to which we replied, “Yes, it’s a lot of fun. Want to try it?” His response was, “You guys are crazy. You won’t ever catch me flying in one of those things. I won’t fly in anything smaller that a 747.”

His statement was ironic because he was killed a few weeks later in the Aug. 2 crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas.
    Since we have a new "crew" in the memories threads I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Since we have a new "crew" in the memories threads I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Frisky:....The wife and I were in Dallas when that Crash happened...I remember seeing a Huge Flash when it happened. I told my wife tht something just blew up....Her response that maybe some clouds moved by quickly...That was a tragic day in that city.

Prunepicker Guest

Hey, I think so... I remember when Lone Star Brewery was in that building.
    I became friends with the CEO (Floyd Scheidner) and had gone to visit him
    one day. He had a direct head coming into his office on that ICE Cold
    BEER...
    Man, it was good. I belonged to SERTOMA on the Southside at the time
    and we were going hunting as a group (Dumb idea) and my job was to see
    if Lone

Star would donate a few cases of beer... When I went there I had a 1961
    Short Bed Chevy Pick-up... Floyd said "Sure" and I gave the keys to one of
    his Warehousemen. When I left there was 125 cases of beer stacked on
    the truck... Not much hunting went on thaat week-end...
    Why do I have no problem believing this?

As far as that goes, even if warm beer is involved, Gen64 is probably in the
    proximity.

Prunepicker Guest

... I'm bumping a quote from myself because I'm still looking for any
    information about those old 1985 Southwest Ford commercials and some of
    the new people might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    You said old and 1985 in the same sentence. That doesn't compute.

Gen64's head just exploded.
    Mine is getting ready to...

You said old and 1985 in the same sentence. That doesn't compute.

Gen64's head just exploded.
    Mine is getting ready to...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985??????? MAN, WASN'T THAT YESTERDAY?....i REMEMBER LOOKING AT A NEW 1968 FORD MUSTANG THERE...BUS HORTON FORD......

I remember going to the fair out by Douglas High School and thought this was cool except why built a Sewer plant that close to a Fair Grounds? Then I remember going to the Semi-Centennial (1957) even have a couple of pictures...Saw my first Real live Buffalo there....I know I looked like a "Hoot Owl" in atree when I saw that animal....

Prunepicker Guest

Then I remember going to the Semi-Centennial (1957) even have a couple of
    pictures...
    Somewhere we have an LP recording that celebrated the event. It was
    smaller than a regular LP. I'll see if it can be located and bring it to one of
    the meetings. No promises...

I have a full book of unsold tickets to the semi-centenial. We were supposed to sell them as part of a fund-raiser only I didn't sell any and they never asked for the "book" back.

Didnt Bus Horton have a lot down by Grant on s.penn in 68? Must have been before they built the lot on 59th.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    I have a full book of unsold tickets to the semi-centenial. We were supposed
    to sell them as part of a fund-raiser only I didn't sell any and they never
    asked for the "book" back.
    Where was the semi-centennial held?

It was the 1957 State Fair. That was the first year at the new location.

Thread Information