Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1492

Default Re: 1492

I definitely recommend it. I don't remember what we had but I do remember it was fantastic food, service, and atmosphere. Only been there once but we cannot wait to go back!

So did the 1492 on Memorial fall through. That location is still empty!

So 1492 was excellent last night. We really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, the service was really good, and the food was excellent. I had the duck enchiladas and they were delicious. My girlfriend got the chimichanga, and it definitely wasn't your typical chimichanga, had a great flavor to it, kind of smoky and bbq. the grilled vegetables it came with were fantastic. I love grilling zucchini and squash, I wish I could get it to taste like that!

The only negative thing that I would have to say about the evening was that it was extremely loud in the place, and sometimes I felt like I was yelling just to talk.

Also, the price wasn't bad at all. All in all a great eveing, and will definitely be going back sometime.

Yes, the 1492 on Memorial did fall through. 1492 owners can be really picky, but this was a financing issue for them. Now that the economy is bad, of course they are putting it off for their north location. They want to custom build it, and not be in a strip center, either.

5. Default Re: 1492

the prices seemed a bit high. went there the other night with a buddy of mine, and ended up turning around and going across the street to cafe do brazil.

Prices were a bit high? I dont know both menus by heart, but I couldnt imagine a meal from 1492 being more than a couple bucks higher on average than Cafe de Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    the prices seemed a bit high. went there the other night with a buddy of mine, and ended up turning around and going across the street to cafe do brazil.
    Really? I think 1492 is really affordable, definitely no more than the average restaurnat price. I've always thought Cafe De Brazil to definitely be more pricey ($17+ per meal)

Yes I agree it was a lot cheaper than I had imagined.

Cafe Do Brasil, and you can't really compare the two considering one is Tex-Mex and the other is Brasilian. Yes, Brasilians spell it with an "s" not a "z".

10. Default Re: 1492

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Yes, the 1492 on Memorial did fall through. 1492 owners can be really picky, but this was a financing issue for them. Now that the economy is bad, of course they are putting it off for their north location. They want to custom build it, and not be in a strip center, either.
    Where were they planning a north location?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

They were planning to take over the Gourmet Deli location near Chili's on Memorial, in CrossPoint, but that fell through (financing issues, and building issues as well).

Then they wanted to do a build-out elsewhere on Memorial (they would have their own custom-designed building, but they have had financial difficulties. This was what I heard from the owners last year. Then I stopped going there, so I have not heard stuff sooner --- I was not happy with some issues. They had air conditioning issues almost every visit, and I just got tired of eating the same thing there time and time again. The owners, however, are very ambitious people who really want to make themselves a restaurant name in OKC. Unfortunately right now the market is down for them and things are probably too risky.

12. Default Re: 1492

Took the wife by 1492 last night for dinner before heading out to West Coast Swing classes (yeah, I know, hard to imagine).

I was skeptical due to some shaky reviews. I decided to use a Restaurant.com certificate I got for $1 a long time ago.

We were pleaseantly surprised. The atmosphere was very nice, the wait staff (bartender in this case) was excellent and the food (from the chips and salsa to the entrees) was some of the best we've had in awhile for the money.

The wife got the salmon and I got the tequitos (sp) and we shared. The coconut rice was really tasty along with the black beans.

With our certificate it was only $11.92 TOTAL! Plus a tip. The same as my lunch at Subway I'm having right now with a friend.

We'd definitely go back and you can certainly share an entree if you're not big eaters.

distinctlyOKLAHOMA - 1492 New World Latin Cuisine

great review of 1492 at Distinctly OKC

I went to 1492 with the hubby last night. It was pretty good. I am a wuss when it comes to spicy food and I found the salsa a bit on the hot side. My husband thought it had just the right amount of heat. Neither of us had room for dessert, which is too bad because we wanted to try the Tres Leches cake.

Blog Entries

Tres Leches is great. Would be a good choice.

Very good food overall. It is not TexMex. Some people I speak with expect the Latin American food to be TexMex so are disappointed. Unless you want fajitas or dishes with gobs of melted cheese, this is much better though.

And the special margaritas with Patron are worth the little extra $.

The duck enchiladas are unique and delicious. Perhaps there are other restaurants with these on the menu, but I'd never had them before 1492 opened, and I've not seen them elsewhere.

17. Default Re: 1492

Any word on the longevity of 1492? Last week we were eating there for lunch and the tax man came by and slapped a sticker on the door revoking their license. Went back a few days later and all was normal - regardless, that's not a good sign.

I was there for lunch the other day and it was really busy. It always seems like there are a lot of people there in the evening as well. So I don't know. I had the fish tacos and didn't like them, but the duck enchiladas are still amazing.

Blog Entries

Their premium margaritas are excellent. And, my meals have always been tasty, and a nice change of pace from tex-mex same o same o. 1492 is one of my favorites and always enjoyed by my out of town guests.

My husband and I love the cervechi appetizer. Soooooo good.

21. Default Re: 1492

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    My husband and I love the cervechi appetizer. Soooooo good.
    Have you tried the ceviche at Big Truck Tacos? It is my favorite and I've tried 1492's.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Have you tried the ceviche at Big Truck Tacos? It is my favorite and I've tried 1492's.
    Yes, I really like their ceviche salad thing. I think I like 1492 a little bit better. But both are awesome.

I can't remember the last time I've walked out of a restaurant in disgust, if ever, but did so last night. The service was dismal.

We tried to make a reservation several times yesterday afternoon and could never get a live person on the phone. I finally left a detailed message including the number in my party, our requested time, my name, and cell phone number. I asked them to call if there was a problem or if they were booked. I never received a call back, so I called back early in the evening. The very disinterested person who I spoke to didn't act like she knew about the reservation, nor was she interested in looking for it, but assured me it would be no problem because of the early time (6:30 pm).

We arrived right on time. Not surprisingly, the hostess had no idea about any reservation, and wasn't particularly interested in figuring out a way to seat us. She took our name while we went to the bar. After standing at the bar (surrounded by empty bar seats) for about 15 minutes, we asked the bartender about drinks. She had never offered anything or approached us - we had to shoot off a flare to get her attention. Ten minutes after ordering, we asked about our drinks, to which she replied "I haven't made them yet", then went about her business.

By this time, we had been there over forty minutes. No one had updated us on times, nor had we been served at the bar. I went to the hostess stand and again had the conversation about my reservation, to which the hostess replied "we're just waiting on someone to get up so we can seat you". No apology, no expression whatsoever. She looked like a teenager irritated that mom and dad made her get a job. We finally walked out, telling her we were leaving and that their service was pathetic.

While the restaurant was busy, they weren't that busy. I've waited longer plenty of times, and understand reservations are not perfect. That being said, I can't recall having been treated that rudely or indifferently by a place that purports to want my business. There are too many great dining options in Oklahoma City now - I will not return.
    Last edited by positano; 12-19-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by positano View Post
    I can't remember the last time I've walked out of a restaurant in disgust, if ever, but did so last night. The service was dismal.

We tried to make a reservation several times yesterday afternoon and could never get a live person on the phone. I finally left a detailed message including the number in my party, our requested time, my name, and cell phone number. I asked them to call if there was a problem or if they were booked. I never received a call back, so I called back early in the evening. The very disinterested person who I spoke to didn't act like she knew about the reservation, nor was she interested in looking for it, but assured me it would be no problem because of the early time (6:30 pm).

We arrived right on time. Not surprisingly, the hostess had no idea about any reservation, and wasn't particularly interested in figuring out a way to seat us. She took our name while we went to the bar. After standing at the bar (surrounded by empty bar seats) for about 15 minutes, we asked the bartender about drinks. She had never offered anything or approached us - we had to shoot off a flare to get her attention. Ten minutes after ordering, we asked about our drinks, to which she replied "I haven't made them yet", then went about her business.

By this time, we had been there over forty minutes. No one had updated us on times, nor had we been served at the bar. I went to the hostess stand and again had the conversation about my reservation, to which the hostess replied "we're just waiting on someone to get up so we can seat you". No apology, no expression whatsoever. She looked like a teenager irritated that mom and dad made her get a job. We finally walked out, telling her we were leaving and that their service was pathetic.

While the restaurant was busy, they weren't that busy. I've waited longer plenty of times, and understand reservations are not perfect. That being said, I can't recall having been treated that rudely or indifferently by a place that purports to want my business. There are too many great dining options in Oklahoma City now - I will not return.
    This is a complete fabrication. Being that I was at 1492 from 6-9 last night. There was never a time during this period that the bar had 2 empty seats much less empty. As the entire restaurant was full that entire period. They wouldn't / couldn't have taken your voice mail reso because they were booked solid and on a wait with more than 2 large Christmas parties.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    This is a complete fabrication. Being that I was at 1492 from 6-9 last night. There was never a time during this period that the bar had 2 empty seats much less empty. As the entire restaurant was full that entire period. They wouldn't / couldn't have taken your voice mail reso because they were booked solid and on a wait with more than 2 large Christmas parties.
    Nice try, and I assume you have some affiliation with the restaurant. I'm not going to debate you, just reporting my experience. Not sure what motive I would have to fabricate - I've had positive experiences at 1492 in the past.

I have no idea what you saw, but I walked in the door at 6:31. My party of four was at the end of the bar, leaning against 2 empty bar chairs. There were another 3 empty chairs to my right, two guys sitting next to those. I don't know if there were chairs on the other side of them.

As to the reservation, you failed to read the portion of my post that I called back after leaving the message (just in case of the scenario you described) and was told there wouldn't be any problem. If they were fully booked, it sure seemed like a nice time to mention it.

Thread Information