Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1492

1. Default Re: 1492 to open next week

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    That's unfortunate. It always amazes me what qualifies as spicy food in Oklahoma. I'm not even a huge spicy food eater, that is, I don't like heat just for the sake of heat, but it seems so many have to error on the side of bland to accommodate Oklahoma palates.
    Amen sista! I like hot and spicy. Maybe blandness is a midwestern thing (are we considered the midwest?). I know people in Maine love bland. I grew up on bland meat and potatoes (every.....damn.....meal). I like my lips to burn while I eat

2. Default Re: 1492 to open next week

Maybe they could keep a batch of the hot stuff for special requests? I don't like it really hot, I'll admit I'm a big wuss when it comes to that; however, if there is demand it would be in their interest to serve it
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: 1492 to open next week

I had some drinks at the bar last Thursday night and the bartender brought out some hot salsa for the guy who was eating next to us. It was so hot he said that he could barely eat it. So maybe you can get hotter salsa if you ask for it.

Default Re: 1492 to open next week

ask for the habanero salsa .

5. Default Re: 1492

I had my 1st, absolutely not last, meal at 1492 yesterday. I was in a bit of a rush and had to leave earlier than my wife and our friend who met us there. Having read this thread fairly closely before posting, I'm not sure what to say to the less than favorable comments, because mine are totally the opposite.

The atmosphere was fresh, open and even breezy, the art on the walls was nice and the chairs were attractive mahogany-type wood and comfortable. The service was always timely and our waiter was a hunk, a dark hunk, and the ladies loved him and his low voice ... a darker and younger version of Jean Reno, except that he was bald. Nice meringa-type music played unobtrusively in the background.

It also "felt" good eating in an original home of one of Okc's Beverlys Chicken-in-the-Rough's, and the Osler building across the street is where my mother's doctor officed, the guy who assisted in my extraction from my mother's tummy quite a few years ago!

To my taste, the complimentary chips and salsa were some of the best I've eaten and I take my salsa quite seriously. My favorite commercial salsa is La Victoria's Salsa Suprema (medium) ... La Victoria Salsa Suprema - 67 oz. ... but it's been hard for me to find locally over the past few years. I've even been known to order a couple of cases directly from La Victoria. The salsa here had a different texture than La Victoria's but the flavor was entirely as good ... a small, but not hurtful, bite with a rich taste and non-watery texture. I would have been satisfied to eat nothing else and, as it was, the refills came without asking. We got some extra salsa to take home. By noon today, it was gone.

As mentioned, I had time limits so I got something easy to fix ... soft cheese taco, cheese enchalada, rice & refried beans & iced tea. The taste of the cheeses was different ... it took me a few bites to consider what I thought about it ... and the more I ate the more I savored every bite. Everything else was quite fine, too ... including the plentiful and tasty iced tea. If I'd not been in a hurry, I would have licked the plate! Next time! Dawgz get away with stuff that people don't, don't you know?

My wife had a salmon something, and our friend's dish was chicken based. Both of them said that their food was quite good ... I didn't taste, I was by then deep into the cheeses that I'd become a fan of and I didn't want that savory taste getting messed up with fish or chicken!

I rushed off to get to the junior high basketball game, leaving the ladies behind. I was told by the waiter that a take-out menu was available and I asked my wife to bring one home. She did.

Larger image at http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...nts/1492_2.jpg

Larger image at http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...nts/1492_1.jpg

This will definitely be a place I'll revisit and, as I live only a few blocks north, often. I unhesitatingly recommend this place.

Default Re: 1492

I unhesitantly recommend 1492 as well. The owner-managers are very nice and I always get carne asada, which is a winner each and every time. I am known as a regular there, and always get good service and treatment.

SUPER GOOD!! Had lunch there today with a friend. I had the luncheon chicken enchilada plate. . . our waiter indicated that it was pretty typical "Tex-Mex" fare. Not in my book. . . it was great. Tender shredded chicken in the enchiladas, nice white sauce, not just a bunch of sour cream plopped on top, Rice was outstanding. . .lots of cumin, but tender, soft, not dried/crusty. My friend had a plate from the dinner menu. . .shredded beef with plaintains. . .VERY tasty!!. . .black bean soup and yucca fries. . . A monster Tres Leche cake for dessert (would be a big dessert for 2, an ample tast of heaven for 4!!)

Doug, good review. If you re-read the posts, myself and others liked the food (I think it and the cheese is quite well actually, much thicker than most places), however the main criticism of this place has been that it really isn't a FUSION restaurant as it claims to be. Most of the dishes are standard Tex-Mex dishes with the exception of the duck enchiladas. The taste, I agree is better than a lot of other Tex-Mex places.

FoodieFan, I agree the Tres Leches cake is amazing and very generous portion.

I thought the duck enchiladas were divine. My daughter had the Pollo Azteca. and it was just alright. Basically a chicken breast with some seasoning and a sauce. But I will go back there anytime for the duck enchiladas. They're not terribly spicy, but the flavor is amazing, and the meat, tortilla and sauce compliment one another very well.

I had posted a review of 1492 a while back when I went for the first time. My first experience at 1492 consisted of good service but lackluster food. SInce then, I have visited three more times. I will say that my experience since the first time has been a lot better. While I have not ordered what I ordered the first time, the other dishes I have tried have been very good. They changed up the salsa too and it is very tasty. Finally, the tres leches dessert was amazing. I'm glad that now I only have positive things to say of 1492.

In looking over the 1492 menu posted, does anyone have suggestions for someone eating there trying to watch their weight? I know, probably doesn't make sense to eat at this type of restaurant if you are trying to lose weight but surely they have some healthy options.
    The tilapia or salmon seemed like sensible choices but I wondered about the flavor / seasoning and also portion size. Portions are what kill my diet plan!

We ventured to 1492 last Sunday when we found Irma's closed. Had really looked forward to trying 1492 but it was around 11:30 am and we walked int to a mostly empty building, saw only two groups dining. But it was early. We stood there for a good 15 minutes and saw no servers at all. No one came to seat us! The groups at their tables also seemed to be looking for their servers. Very dissapointed, we left still hungry. Walked over to Cafe Do Brazil and were very happy to eat there. Nice atmosphere... Still look forward to trying 1492 tho.

13. Default Re: 1492

Why was Irma's closed?

14. Default Re: 1492

Sundays seem to be hit or miss in Midtown. We've eaten at Irma's on a Sunday at lunch before going grocery shopping and it was busy...not crazy busy but there were enough customers to justify opening. But I don't recall ever seeing 1492 open on a Sunday.
    Still corrupting young minds

15. Default Re: 1492

I've eaten at Irma's on a Sunday night. Have they changed their schedule?

they were closed on super bowl sunday only ..

just a note on 1492 they will have a second location around august at memorial and portland if i recall correctly ... also have long range plans of a tulsa location with in 2 years

Yes, 1492 is going to open a 2nd location in August at Memorial and Portland, in the old Gourmet Deli space (they are not renewing their lease). Plans are then to open in Norman in 2009, and Tulsa in 2010. And then go beyond Oklahoma to... other destinations.

What will happen to the Gourmet Deli?? Are they relocating or closed completely??

Gourmet Deli is choosing to NOT renew its lease. I do not think they get a lot of business at their location on Memorial. My guess is the other Gourmet Deli spots around town (like the one in Nichols Hills on Western) will remain open.

I personally didn't care for Gourmet Deli, I thought it was nasty, however they are always packed out at lunch, so something must be good.

So I am taking my girlfriend to 1492 tomorrow night, any other last minute comments from anyone? I was excited to try it out, but after sifting through some of the reviews I might go elsewhere. And do they still do the valet parking? As I would rather park myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nik4411 View Post
    So I am taking my girlfriend to 1492 tomorrow night, any other last minute comments from anyone? I was excited to try it out, but after sifting through some of the reviews I might go elsewhere. And do they still do the valet parking? As I would rather park myself.
    you can always park yourself .. 1492 is a great place wonderful weekend specials the BBQ duck is one of the 5 best dishes in the metro they have a great happy hour as well ... 4-7 5 days a week

you will have a good time for V day ..

Most of the comments were good I thought. I've enjoyed the place each time I've been. Granted there are some things I don't like, mainly the salsa, but I haven't been in months now so it could have changed. The tres leches cake is amazing! As Boulder said, they have some nice food, especially for Mexican, no watered down stuff here. If you decide to go somewhere else, but want Mexican/Tex-Mex, I'd suggest Iguana Lounge over on 9th and Broadway. Other than that, you're not really going to get any better, well Ted's maybe, if you want to wait 2 hours to get in.

Ha ha yea I love Ted's, but thanks guys yea Im going to stick with 1492...never been and seems like a cool place. We are going tonight, doing our V-day dinner a night early b/c I just don't feel like messing with it Saturday night. My cousin has reservations at Paseo Grille, at 10PM! A bit ridiculous to me, but oh well if that's what he wants to do.

Cool, well I guess I will post back my thoughts.

1492 had some problems when they first opened, but they quickly recovered. The food, service and atmosphere are all great. I recommend the fajitas. And get the tres leches for dessert.

Thread Information