Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

What? Did the Yokelhoman get the story wrong?

Cletus says: I just love the Yokelhoman. They got the graatist yardicals.

I find it mildly amusing that he talks about being mature and grown up, and he acts like that...so a sports columnist wrote something not accurate...if he went crazy on every writer that did this, he would be breaking down every day...it takes the spotlight away from a good victory for osu.

//
    Last edited by zuluwarrior0760; 09-23-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: //

I was so proud of him for that...I give Mike 6 points for it...Touchdown and the two point conversion for Bobby Reid when he snubs the Jokelahoman...

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon7 View Post
    I find it mildly amusing that he talks about being mature and grown up, and he acts like that...so a sports columnist wrote something not accurate...if he went crazy on every writer that did this, he would be breaking down every day...it takes the spotlight away from a good victory for osu.

While it does take the spotlight quickly away from a positive for the team and turn it to a negative, I am glad to see a coach stand up for his player. Maybe he went a little far, but it was obvious that he felt the need to make his point.

I think she got it.

I was just going to post and ask if anyone knew the original story on this cause I just read Jenni Carlson's story this a.m. (always a little late!)
    What is the big deal about what she wrote? If Reid is being lazy and was benched for that where is the inaccuracy? I realize that may be her opinion, but as a sportswriter she and the others are paid to write their opinions.
    Hope Reid enjoyed his mamma's fried chicken . . . he may be goin' home for lots more.

7. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

It implied he liked fried chicken????????????????

the story said Reid was "eating his box lunch" which the reporter said the box lunch consisted of fried chicken made by his mother, not the box lunch provided for the rest of the players. Sorry if I didn't made that point clear! To me the implication was that Reid is acting like a mamma's boy and somewhat of a prima dona. usually you see the battle between the 2 starters actually raise the level of the competition. Reid has that opportunity to gut it out and get in there and fight for the QB place. Doesn't sound like he is doing that.

9. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

I have to give mad props for Gundy sticking up for his kids. However, he could have done it in a much more professional way.

It was fried chicken, but the story didn't say that, it just
    said "chicken".

If the story had said fried chicken, we'd be having world
    war III right now, Jenni would be in Siberia looking for
    a job interview, and Mike Gundy's head would have
    exploded.......

So....................it was just "CHICKEN".....

OK, will someone please explain to me how Gundy was sticking up for "his kids"?? Maybe I missed an article or something, but that is what I was curious about in the first place. Gundy said there were "inaccuracies" in the story, so perhaps there was another story in the Oklahoman? I like Gundy and all, but there seems to be something to this story about Reid and work ethic and Zach taking over. Does anyone remember last year's OU/OSU game?

12. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

Bobby Reid is their most heralded recruit since Xavier Lawson-Kennedy.
    He was the starting quarterback last year for a bowl team. He was injured,
    and Mike Gundy said that Reid was his starter, and that players don't lose
    their jobs due to injury. Then he starts Robinson, and keeps him as his
    starter even after a poor performance against Troy. There have to be
    reasons why Robinson is the starter, as Reid is bigger than Robinson,
    and has a stronger arm. Jenni's column exposed many of the possible
    reasons why, including Reid's immature response on the sidleines against
    Troy. Jenni didn't write anything that hasn't been written on an OSU message
    board previously. Remember she wrote a similar column on OSU basketball, then Sean Sutton said there wasn't any problem? After Sean's denial, Marcus
    Dove was busted, then Kenneth Cooper left the team. If you want a big
    league team, you have to understand the press will criticize your team.

13. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

FWIW, Koco is taking a poll on the matter. Here's a copy of the graphic I "took" about 5 minutes ago:

At least right now (this page may not be "static" so the contents could easily change in a day or two), here's a page containing the "survey" link at Koco-Tv:

Oklahoma Sooners, Oklahoma State Cowboys, Oklahoma Sports News - KOCO Oklahoma City's Channel 5

I voted, "Yes," by the way.

14. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

Can someone post a link to the article in Question? The one that he was so furious about?

Without reading it, I can't say for certain if his reaction was overboard .. but just looking at him ranting and screaming, I think he was completely unprofessional.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Here's the article:

NewsOK: Reid is still the most talented signal-caller, but attitude is reason for change

Jenni Carlson has never been a popular journalist, but oddly enough,
    this might play in her favor........

Anyone who could rile up the OSU coach like "THAT" can't be all bad
    in the eyes of OU fans afterall.....

16. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

Problem is, she's written similar crappy articles about O.U. Much to my
    surprise, many O.U. fans are rooting for Mike Gundy.

She should have really thought about what she wrote. In my opinion, this is the same as someone writing about her obesity. How would she take it if someone wrote about how she dined at a buffet. You can bet a million dollars she would have the same reaction as Gundy.

You obviously don't have any obese kids yourself.......
    or you wouldn't have made such a heartless remark.
    Jenni's not obese.......she's just big boned!!!!

Funny how the link to the article doesn't work. I bet the Jokelahoman removed it.

She didn't have any facts for her "article," so she made them up. The trouble is that when she makes isht up, she's hurting people. That ain't kosher in my book. She's a poor excuse for a journalist. She got exposed. Did y'all hear all the clapping at the press conference? There were several there who agreed with Gundy enough to applaud.

Carlson either needs to start using sources for her stories or she ought to stop writing about things she knows nothing about.

Just posing a question here, but how do you know Carlson didn't have any facts? Were you present? This is her job (just as it would be Berry Tramel's) to write an editorial piece.
    I have been listening to the radio all a.m. and there are lots of folks out there who agree with her. just cause people clapped for Gundy's tirade - so what? I think he embarrassed himself and their program. OSU has been inconsistent in many areas, and perhaps this is the tip of the iceberg to expose the coaching aspect and being soft on some players.
    Just my 2 cents.

I think Carlson will have to show her source if she has one. If she doesn't, then she's doing what the Oklahoma media often does -- inventing facts.

I do enjoy seeing them called out on the carpet for this.

true, but I still think the original point about "soft" players is still there. Others have said in addition to Carlson that Reid has been playing this prima dona role and seems to be catching up with him.
    What is sad here (and this comes from a huge OU fan) is that OSU played one hell of a game, and those kids did not get the press from their coach that they deserved. That is a shame.

24. Default Re: WOW! Mike Gundy...1 Jenni Carlson...0

article still there:

Reid is still the most talented signal-caller, but attitude is reason for change

By Jenni Carlson
    The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.
    It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.
    Which brings us to the quarterback switch-a-roo at Oklahoma State.

Don't see the connection?

Let me explain. Cowboy coaches have gone full-speed ahead with the Zac Attack, opting to start Robinson over Reid a week ago, then sticking with him against Texas Tech today even after an embarrassing loss at Troy. Weren't we being told just last week that Reid was still the guy?

All the weight with which Cowboy coaches were backing Reid has totally shifted to Robinson.

The change seems sudden.

Thing is, it may not be as abrupt as it looks. If you believe the rumors and the rumblings, Reid has been pushing coaches that way for quite some time.

Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern that hasn't always been pretty.

Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.

Reid's nerves have also been an issue. Earlier this year, he told our Andrea Cohen about his game-day emotions.

"I get sweaty palms. I get the butterflies in my stomach. I sweat lot,” he said then. "I've been playing this game for 15 years. And I can honestly say every game I've played in, I've been nervous. It's not so much me being scared; I just get to a point where I start worrying about a lot of things I can't control.”

A lot of guys get nervous, some even puke before games. How you handle the nerves is important, though, and Reid hasn't always managed them well.

He has gotten off to some extremely slow starts, putting the Cowboys in some holes.

Some, they dug out of, with Reid often wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn't.

Then, there have been the injuries. No doubt some of Reid's ailments have been severe, including an injured shoulder that required surgery and forced him to redshirt. Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig.
    Reid's injury against Florida Atlantic — whatever it was — appeared minor but just might have been the thing that pushed Cowboy coaches over the edge.

Even though Mike Gundy said last week that Robinson got the nod because he had the better week of practice, insiders say that the coaches decided to bench Reid early in the week. The bottom line: The switch is less about Robinson's play and more about Reid's attitude.

"The coaches made a decision,” Reid told our Mike Baldwin after the Troy game. "I just have to go with it, get better and get back on the field.”

There's something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words.

Does he have the fire in his belly?

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken?

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid.

A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public?

Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll?

The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

Reid is the most talented quarterback in Payne County, but he hasn't proven that he's the toughest. If you listen to the rumblings and the rumors, Cowboy coaches simply grew weary of it.

Who knows? There might come a day when they grow tired of something Robinson does, but for now, they appear willing to sacrifice a bit of talent for a lot of grit.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information