Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land Run Monument Update

1. Default Land Run Monument Update

I was having breakfast with a friend at Bricktown's IHOP this morning and we saw a couple of big flatbed trucks roll by to the south ... big horses on top! I knew that (finally) the Land Run Monument was getting some new stuff, and, of course, I had my camera with me! So ... before you see it in the press (none were present ... you'd think they would be) here is what I saw this morning as the new sculptures were being unloaded and put in place (another covered wagon and a pair of new horses) ... cloudy day, unfortunately ... click the link for a 1024 x 768 view ... the location is just south of Outdoor World for those who are unaware and it's a must-see!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_3.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_4.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_5.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_6.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_7.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_8.jpg

Downtown Okc's Skyline Snapshot describes this project:

The largest sculpture collection of its kind in the United States, commemorating the Oklahoma Land Run of 1889. The series of bronze sculptures—ultimately 46 pieces stretching more than 300 feet in length—are located on both banks of the canal running through the southern edge of Bricktown. The sculptures, by Oklahoma artist Paul Moore and cast in nearby
    Norman, are 50 percent larger than life-size (for example, the sculpture of an average man is nearly nine feet tall), adding to the drama of the historic moment captured by the artwork. Estimated cost of the project is $6 million.
    Paul Moore has done and is doing an outstanding job with this ... the sculptures are magnificent!

Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

excellent find, doug dawg! thanks.

3. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

woo!!! What a scoop!

Wow .. we are the first to see pics here on OKCTalk... how cool is that? I can't wait to see the actual exhibit now.

Doug Dawg - u da man!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

those look awesome!

Great job (again). Talk about right place at right time. This is definitely a must see for anyone who has not been. Also, really impressive for out of towners. The land run is usually very fascinating for someone who did not grow up with this concept.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    The land run is usually very fascinating for someone who did not grow up with this concept.
    Yes it is. With not having grown up here and learning what little I have of it amazes me how the whole process took place with the flags and deeds etc. Would have been an amazing place to be at the time if you survived it. I have been to the exhibit and am in just utter awe at the detail of these pieces. The man on the workhorse with the blinders still on and he with bare feet is my favorite. I feel it really personifies the lengths people took to be a part of it.

Thanks Doug great pictures all have to make a run down there and get some shots.

8. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

I was down there this weekend and saw the new stuff. It really looks awesome, but I'm still dissapointed in how long its taking to get the project finished. I understand how much of a prject it is, I'm just impatient.

The workmanship is awesome folks. They really put everything into these sculptures. You really have to walk around the things on all sides to see each detail. They aren't just static blah features, they really stick out nicely. Even down to the kitchen table falling out the back of the wagon as they hit a bump!

9. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

If I recall correctly, the current Skyline Snapshot said that the project may take as long as 2011 to get completely done ... if not there, I read that somewhere. But, as you said, given the outstanding quality of these works of art, I'd rather the artist took the time he needs (given his other work, also) to do it "right," as he surely is doing, just as you said. That said, I, too, wish that it would all be done during the year of the Centennial, but that's not going to happen.

I think they are say 2012 now.

Thanks to your pictures Doug the family and I went down there on Saturday. We have been there quite a few times but this time will really stick out in our minds. The pieces were still in the process of being installed and we could see what kind of work this takes just to install. The footings were still exposed and we could tell just how massive these structures are and how large the footings have to be to support them. Also the reins and the yokes were not as yet hooked up to the horses in front of the buggy. It also looked like another piece should be installed soon because there were some flags that seem to mark out the position. Thanks again for the heads up.

Not 100% sure, but I think that's Paul Moore (the sculptor) in the cowboy hat.

13. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I think that's Paul Moore (the sculptor) in the cowboy hat.
    Note: I already replied once, John, but somehow it didn't "stick" ... so ... to repeat myself:

Sharp eyes, John! On closer look at a cropped view of an original, I do believe that you are correct!

Click on link for larger view: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...t_9_7_07_9.jpg

That's the man...

Nice photos, Doug.

I have some fav places to eat, and stolling most of Bt is an enjoyable eve in itself, but wandering amongst the parts of this exhibit is a repeat stroll for me, has been since the first three pieces were placed farther east, in what is now that too large a patchof parking lot.

One of my greatest hopes is that the encroachment of noise from the parking slap to the east, and the new sits too low for my tastes I-40 route to the immediate south, doesn't completely ruin what used to be a very serene location when the canal was originally extended to the south.

16. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

The only bad thing is how close the new I-40 will be. You just have to look over your shoulder to see it off to the south. Hopefully some landscaping will hide it a little and keep some of the noise down. Since it's on the same eye level as the scuplture area as opposed to 40 feet in the air, it's going to be much louder...yuk.

Ok I made run down to brick town to get few shots of the status in place.

Here is the Cannon.

The wagon

I ran into an old couple who told me about a rabbet that they had also added so got a couple of shots of it before I left

Flickr: Photos from Iron Knight

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The only bad thing is how close the new I-40 will be. You just have to look over your shoulder to see it off to the south. Hopefully some landscaping will hide it a little and keep some of the noise down. Since it's on the same eye level as the scuplture area as opposed to 40 feet in the air, it's going to be much louder...yuk.
    I-40, being lower, will reduce the noise levels.

19. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

How will they prevent someone from running off with that rabbit? I'm sure it's heavy but it's small enough to take if someone wanted to.

I wonder, how do they secure it?

20. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

I was thinking the exact same thing Karried. I guess our criminal minds think alike......lol

21. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

lol .. the Bunny Bandits... it sure would look good in my garden lol.. j/k!

22. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

I was thinking it would look cute on my floor next to the City of Austin water cover thingy I stole.......LOL

23. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

Be careful, ladies, they probably have bunny wobber watchers inside one of the covered wagons!

Forget the rabbit thieves; we should worry those painted buffaloes showing up alongside these true works of art, or worse, someone decides to paint these sculptures.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

The footings for these statues go several feet down in the ground. Someone would probably have to have a backhoe to get the rabbit.

Thread Information