Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land Run Monument Update

Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

.oO(anyone else hearing elmer Fudd singing git the wabbit, git the wabbit, git the waaaaaaab-bit)Oo.

lol you guys are killing me I need to make a note to have the local authority's to keep an eye on the rabbit!
    The rabbit was way off by it self I never would have saw if the couple hadn't pointed it out for me.

Gordon's Service Experts
    Published on 7/17/2008

View more >

Fri July 18, 2008

City land run monument taking shape

My Downtown OKC page
    By Amy Rymer, The Oklahoman

Sculptor Paul Moore of Norman oversees the installation being done along the Bricktown Canal by workers from Deep in the Heart Art Foundry of Bastrop, Texas.

The life-and-a-half size sculpture was placed near two wagons. It arrived from New Mexico on Wednesday night.

4. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Gordon's Service Experts
    Published on 7/17/2008

View more >

Fri July 18, 2008

City land run monument taking shape

My Downtown OKC page
    By Amy Rymer, The Oklahoman

Sculptor Paul Moore of Norman oversees the installation being done along the Bricktown Canal by workers from Deep in the Heart Art Foundry of Bastrop, Texas.

The life-and-a-half size sculpture was placed near two wagons. It arrived from New Mexico on Wednesday night.
    Excellent! Thanks for the update, Metro!

Doug, do I smell a new blogpost coming on?

I was reading Doug's 2008 blog on the monument last night and really got excited about how this is going to look when the new I-40 opens. Coming from the east, one will see this on the north and the boathouses on the south. So I wanted to bump this thread and let it be known that 27 of 46 are completed and installed (could be a few more now, as it looks like the site was last updated last year), with an expected completion date of 2015, according to artist Paul Moore's website .

Anyone who hasn't already gone down there and taken a look at these things, go do it. These statues are awesome to see up close and personal. It's been a while since I saw them, but I was VERY impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I was reading Doug's 2008 blog on the monument last night and really got excited about how this is going to look when the new I-40 opens. Coming from the east, one will see this on the north and the boathouses on the south. So I wanted to bump this thread and let it be known that 27 of 46 are completed and installed (could be a few more now, as it looks like the site was last updated last year), with an expected completion date of 2015, according to artist Paul Moore's website .
    I find it kind of funny that in the map of statue locations the cannon is pointed at the main pack of people, thankfully in the physical layout the cannon points safely away.

I hope to see this completed some day. I don't count on it, but I do hope.

Yep, been wondering if it was still moving forward. I know it turned out to be a more monumental task than originally planned and things slowed a bit. I guess the funding is still there? There's not been much in the news about it since around the centennial celebration.

11. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

I haven't seen anything new in years now. I don't know why they haven't solicited donations from the public through the media. I'm sure a lot of people would contribute to the project to finish it....i would. Just get story out in the Jokelahoman and the local news and I'm sure we can get the cash flowing to who needs it.

The funding issue was several years ago; apparently someone has stepped up or the funding was dedicated at some governmental level because on the artist's website it shows to have added at least 2 pieces every year since 2001. Again there are 27 of 46 completed, at the Centennial there were just 17.

I believe the timing is just down to the artist and his capacity to crank these things out.

Sounds like they are on track to be finished in a few years and as pointed out, once the old I-40 is out of way, the appeal of that entire area will be greatly increased. It will also help to extend the OK River canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I find it kind of funny that in the map of statue locations the cannon is pointed at the main pack of people, thankfully in the physical layout the cannon points safely away.
    Have to remember the cannon was fired indicating the start of the run and would have been before the pack of people were in the way.

Is the number still to be 46? One of the first articles I read on it, there were supposed to have been 77 statues (one representing each county). That number has been cut significantly mainly due to cost. I still think as it sits right now, it is most impressive and something I would definitely make sure any visitors see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I believe the timing is just down to the artist and his capacity to crank these things out.
    Yes, that was one of the issues. (I know Paul but have not seen or talked to him in a few years.) I'm counting 22 on that 2009 map so perhaps they have installed 5 more in the last two years and that is as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Have to remember the cannon was fired indicating the start of the run and would have been before the pack of people were in the way.
    Depends if they are Sooners or Boomers though.

LOL. Well we can hope if they were Sooners, they had the intelligence to make sure they weren't in the line of fire...if not I guess they would be candidates for the Darwin award?

18. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

So are most of the remaining ones going to be smaller? If there have only been 5 in the last couple of years, it seems like he would have a LOT to catch up on for the remaining 17 or whatever. I can imagine he's probably getting burned out on the project by now since it's taken about a decade of his life already.

I'm trying really hard to remember he's an artist, not a factory....lol.

Blog Entries

I searched for another thread. I could swear there was one, but not seeing it, and this one is incredibly old. But it's as good a place as any as the last point of discussion was how long it would take and that was 2011 and here we are in 2020 and I _think_ it's done now but only somewhat recently. Anyway, hadn't been over there for awhile and went by it Saturday on a bike ride and it sure _seems_ done. Took a couple pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200418_195248.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	15986

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200418_195319.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	15987

https://www.news9.com/story/5f0a3acb...n-downtown-okc

"Inclusion, right?” protest organizer Kendra Wilson Clements said. “We want to be included in the story. Because we are a part of the story. We were the originators of this land.”
    You know...It's almost like the city/state thought of this very thing when they decided to build a $200 million Native American Cultural Center under a mile from the Landrun Monument. Someone should let these people know that there's a facility being built basically next door that will far exceed the Landrun Monument in visibility, quality, and national prominence....and in addition, the whole 100+ acre property is being given to a tribe and there are plans to build even more native american centric tributes and attractions. I find it difficult to believe that they don't know that already which makes this protest over inclusion feel pretty disingenuous. Maybe i'm being overly cynical in thinking that but it seems like people will protest any monument for the sake of doing it if the monument shows a part of history they don't like. Jim Crow era confederate monuments built to intimidate...sure, protest away. But protesting a monument commemorating the extremely unique opening of the UNASSIGNED lands to settlement which was the catalyst for statehood over lack of inclusion of Native American history when an AWESOME Native American shrine is being built nearby? Give me a freaking break. People have lost their darn minds.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    https://www.news9.com/story/5f0a3acb...n-downtown-okc

You know...It's almost like the city/state thought of this very thing when they decided to build a $200 million Native American Cultural Center under a mile from the Landrun Monument. Someone should let these people know that there's a facility being built basically next door that will far exceed the Landrun Monument in visibility, quality, and national prominence....and in addition, the whole 100+ acre property is being given to a tribe and there are plans to build even more native american centric tributes and attractions. I find it difficult to believe that they don't know that already which makes this protest over inclusion feel pretty disingenuous. Maybe i'm being overly cynical in thinking that but it seems like people will protest any monument for the sake of doing it if the monument shows a part of history they don't like. Jim Crow era confederate monuments built to intimidate...sure, protest away. But protesting a monument commemorating the extremely unique opening of the UNASSIGNED lands to settlement which was the catalyst for statehood over lack of inclusion of Native American history when an AWESOME Native American shrine is being built nearby? Give me a freaking break. People have lost their darn minds.
    Frances Danger addresses the museum here:

https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/07/...comment-348866

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Frances Danger addresses the museum here:

https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/07/...comment-348866
    I don't really agree with his logic when it comes to saying that basically the museum isn't what they wanted so isn't good enough and the Landrun monument should be removed. To each his own.

23. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I don't really agree with his logic when it comes to saying that basically the museum isn't what they wanted so isn't good enough and the Landrun monument should be removed. To each his own.
    FWIW, I don't either. It just sounds like they want to turn back the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    FWIW, I don't either. It just sounds like they want to turn back the clock.
    My family came here during the Landrun. As the moment that set the founding of our state in motion, I think it should be celebrated alongside Native American history. All land was someone else's at another time and was either sold, gifted/inherited or taken by conquest or other means...and history absolutely sucks for those who were conquered. What happened certainly wasn't fair to the Native American tribes but the settlers competing in the Landrun didn't conquer the tribes... the United States government did. The Boomers, many of whom were immigrants, were just vying for the government to open lands for settlement that were, at the time, unassigned to any tribe (I realize it was part of another tribe's lands long before that...but it wasn't when during the Boomer movement). The monument celebrates the settlers fighting through hardships for their chance at a better life by staking a claim in the unassigned lands, not the US government's conquest of the native americans.

I guess we should ban the musical Oklahoma! next? Change our state song because it came from the musical? Is Far And Away considered a racist film now for centering around the Cherokee Outlet Landrun?

25. Default Re: Land Run Monument Update

Well, you would have to start by banning "How The West Was Won."

Thread Information