Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor Mill About New Stores

Default Re: Rumor Mill About New Stores

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Dairy Queen used to have a rather substantial presence in the Oklahoma City market about, oh, twenty or thirty years ago. As I recall, they were all franchised/owned under the name of Dunn, and they were all "Dunn's Dairy Quenn."

Heck, most of the formerly DQ buildings are still readily recognizable by their trademark A-framed building and red-tile roof. Many of them have long since either been torn down or converted into other things like chinese take-out places. There's one over on May Avenue south of 59th, one on the south side of 59th east of Western, at least those are the ones that come to mind fairly readily.

My biggest thing at DQ was the blizzards. Oreo blizzards, to be exact - and since then it seems everyone and their dog are ripping off the concept, and none of them taste as good - I suspect its the unique brand of DQ softserve that made them so good.

The last one I had was at a DQ in Norman that was closed-and-dozed about two years ago. They are quite prevalent in Texas, however...

-sd
    Actually, according to billboards, the DQ is a Texas stop sign......

Dairy Queen used to have a rather substantial presence in the Oklahoma City market about, oh, twenty or thirty years ago. As I recall, they were all franchised/owned under the name of Dunn, and they were all "Dunn's Dairy Quenn."

Heck, most of the formerly DQ buildings are still readily recognizable by their trademark A-framed building and red-tile roof. Many of them have long since either been torn down or converted into other things like chinese take-out places. There's one over on May Avenue south of 59th, one on the south side of 59th east of Western, at least those are the ones that come to mind fairly readily.

My biggest thing at DQ was the blizzards. Oreo blizzards, to be exact - and since then it seems everyone and their dog are ripping off the concept, and none of them taste as good - I suspect its the unique brand of DQ softserve that made them so good.

The last one I had was at a DQ in Norman that was closed-and-dozed about two years ago. They are quite prevalent in Texas, however...

-sd

Yeah, so true, there is like a zillion Diary Queens in Texas but I don't even see a Braum's in Texas yet

Quote Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
    Yeah, so true, there is like a zillion Diary Queens in Texas but I don't even see a Braum's in Texas yet
    There are many Braum's in Texas.....

Braum's Ice Cream!

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    There are many Braum's in Texas.....

Braum's Ice Cream!
    Thanks, I haven't been to Texas in 5 years so I can't remember seeing a Braum's

-sd
    I completely agree with the Blizzards! You say that they are all the same (blizzards, blasts, mixes from Braum's) but they are not. I was raised in a small town on the border of Texas. There is still a DQ in my hometown. I still get a Blizzard when I visit. DQ is the Texas stop sign, just like Sonic is the OK stop sign.

You won't catch ME saying they're all the same, cuz they just AREN'T!!

My family went on a driving trip to Orlando several years ago, and on the way back home driving through Georgia my wife spotted a DQ.

DING DING DING!!!!

Mandatory Oreo Blizzard Stop!!!

And it was WONDERFUL. INCREDULICIOUS, in fact.

-sd

7. Default Re: Rumor Mill About New Stores

Every summer I take a road trip (usually 4000+ miles), and I will always visit at least one Dairy Queen. (In 2007, it was the DQ in Galesburg, Illinois.)

The only reason to stop at DQ is for a large dipped cone, period.

You won't catch ME saying they're all the same, cuz they just AREN'T!!

My family went on a driving trip to Orlando several years ago, and on the way back home driving through Georgia my wife spotted a DQ.

DING DING DING!!!!

Mandatory Oreo Blizzard Stop!!!

And it was WONDERFUL. INCREDULICIOUS, in fact.

-sd
    I don't think I meant you, I think I meant someone else, haha. I think the quote and my comment got all out of sorts... I know your feeling about spotting a DQ! I was driving back from the East Coast with my fiance, and I saw a DQ and we both flipped out. It was in Virginia. IT was soooooooooooo good. Sad thing though, I don't think I was excited as when I saw a Sonic in Arkansas. Never knew I'd miss those cheeseburgers so much....

Okedoke, new rumor.....

The Pearl's restaurant along I-240 that closed rather abruptly a couple of weeks ago is going to become...........

..an Old Chicago restaurant!

Don't know about anyone else, but I think that's a GOOD thing! Supposedly the Old Chicago people made Pearl's "an offer they couldn't refuse" for the building. Prolly kills any chance of the Hideaway-to-the-old-Harrigan's happening.

Other rumors/rumblings:

* The story that Home Depot at I-240 and Shields was going to move west, essentially into the parking lot of the Walnut Square shopping center, has apparently gone kaput - and apparently very recently. Not sure why, although there are some indications it may have something to do with a change in the I-240 interchange rebuild plans.

* Outback at I-240 and Penn is, or perhaps was, interested in moving to the Harrigan's location. That may have been indirectly tied to the prospective Home Depot move, so take it with a grain of salt either way.

* Already early talk about the future of at least a portion of Crossroads Mall as a non-retail entity, possibly including some remodeling into - get this - senior living space!?! Wacky rumor, I'll admit.

That's at least something new to chew on for now, folks...like I said, they're all rumors...nothing purported to be absolute fact, but just tidbits from people who would have reasonable sources.

-sd

Oh man I love Old Chicago, Great Pizza and Beer!

I have rumor info in regards to the Moore area Fritz Farms on 19th near the Home Depot. I know someone that knows Mrs. Fritz and she is saying that their will be a Target next to the Home Depot, not a Super Target as originally planned. Once again rumor only no facts other than word of mouth.

To me i just dont know why the just gut crossroads mall and turn it into a large indoor outlet mall.. I think it would be great way to reintroduce a large large dying mall, plus we currently do not have a oklahoma outlet mall.. and what a location and size for one...

I saw a construction sign in front of the old Pearl's yesterday that said Old Chicago so I would say that rumor is true.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    I saw a construction sign in front of the old Pearl's yesterday that said Old Chicago so I would say that rumor is true.
    Cool, although I never heard of the restaurant but if they said it has great pizza, I'm trying it then!

16. Default Re: Rumor Mill About New Stores

Cool, although I never heard of the restaurant but if they said it has great pizza, I'm trying it then!
    They've got about 100 beers, and pretty good food (for a chain restaurant anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I have rumor info in regards to the Moore area Fritz Farms on 19th near the Home Depot. I know someone that knows Mrs. Fritz and she is saying that their will be a Target next to the Home Depot, not a Super Target as originally planned. Once again rumor only no facts other than word of mouth.
    Whatever happened to Best Buy? It would be nice to have a Target in Moore

Best Buy is going to happen, it will be built near JCPenney's.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    They've got about 100 beers, and pretty good food (for a chain restaurant anyway).
    I don't care about the beer, beer is gross

Sacrilege!!

21. Default Re: Rumor Mill About New Stores

The big-box retailer will occupy 30,038 square feet with plans to open in late 2008

Got this from the city's website....Does anyone know if this will be an average sized Best Buy?

Just wondering since the one in Norman seems much smaller than the Crossroads location

Its going to be almost half the size of the best buy at crossroads..

Actually, a smaller BB in Moore makes sense, because I was told by a BB employee that they are NOT going to shut down the Crossroads location, which didn't make sense to me.

He said the only possibility is that the Crossroads BB might move west, farther down I-240, and my inference from that was in a location to compete with Circuit City's new location in the I-240 Penn Plaza. Even at that, you still have two BB's in fairly close proximity to each other. If they make a really small store in Moore, that almost starts to make sense - smaller/simpler inventory, and if you need a slightly bigger-ticket item, go to the bigger store.

Dunno how its all going to play out. We'll see, I s'pose...

I still want a BARNES AND NOBLE somewhere on the south side. You know, we DO read books on occasion south of SW 74th....have to have something to do after we run to our outhouses....

-soonerdave

I found this about Best Buy: Best Buy | Investor Relations | Frequently Asked Questions
    How big are Best Buy stores?

We are currently building Best Buy stores in the United States in three sizes -- 45,000 square feet, 30,000 square feet, and 20,000 square feet - depending on the size of the market. However, in the past we have built stores as big as 58,000 square feet. In Canada, Future Shop stores average 27,000 square feet`and Canadian Best Buy stores are 30,000 or 36,000 square feet.
    A Barnes and Noble would be nice but I've been told it isn't very likely.

Thread Information