Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Representative Murphey Present For 99% Of All Votes

Default Re: Representative Murphey Present For 99% Of All Votes

Geesh, sorry I missed all the fun.

I must disagree, and could you go into more detail as to why you felt Depue was "shady". If you are referring to all the mailings that surfaced right before the first vote when Depue was elected, I can say for a fact that Depue and his campaign had nothing to do with it, nor ever really knew who was behind it. Depue and his campaign was just as surprised as everyone else when they came out. Depue is a well respected pastor and as never been "shady", I would just like for you to explain please.

As for why I feel Jason Murphey is society inept, I attributed it to Homeschooling only because I knew one other guy like Murphey, was home schooled and acted just as childish. I should not have lumped them all together, I don't know that to be true for all, but from raising my own children, they were pretty clueless on how to interact with others until they entered a Mother's Day Program twice a week. In weeks, I watched them blossom and mature.

In addition, my perception of Murphey comes from years of watching him in local Guthrie politics as a city council member. He would cry at meetings, he would vote down free grant money for kids, he participated in violations of the open meeting act, his buddies (that used him like a puppet) were getting recalled, they quit and left him high and dry. Instead of facing a recall himself, he then left at the end of his term, he knew he could not win a reelection. There were so many childish episodes that occurred during that time, and it's safe to say he was a joke. The majority of Guthrie is still in shock that he won the House seat. If you look at the voting polls, he did poorly in Guthrie (where we knew him) and did great in south county who didn't have a clue who he was. The big change is that South Logan County's population has grown so much and coupled with a very low Guthrie voter turn out, He won. The perfect storm.

Well that's my 2 cents, and some change I guess.

2. Default Re: Representative Murphey Present For 99% Of All Votes

Depue: Yea, my shady comments are because of the mailings. I receive one of those and was quite upset. Murphey claimed Depue knew about it. I don't know, nor will anybody probably, what happend. I seem to think Depue got in trouble with the Ethics Commission. I could be wrong because I can't find anything.

Homeschooling: Yea...stereotypes are hard to break. The few weird ones create the stereotype because they stick out like a sore thumb. The majority, the "normal" ones (and remember, "normal" is just a setting on the dishwasher), just blend in.

I gotta agree with Cuatro here. Homeschooling is hit or miss just like any other method of education. Midtowner you seem to be coming from a place of hostility and/or maybe jealousy toward homeschoolers as you are very defensive about it.

I've personally known homeschoolers who are National Merit Scholars and I've known homeschoolers who are very average. I've graduated (public school) with some of the most intelligent people I've ever met and I graduated with some real idiots. It's what works best for the individual. One isn't always better than the other.

As far as the social aspect goes, I've known several homeschoolers who are just as socially adept as anyone but I've also known homeschoolers who are quite wierd and exactly what people think of when they think of homeschoolers. On the other hand I went to a large public highschool (enrollment of about 1500 - 2000 students. This was 20 years ago when freshmen did not attend highschool but instead attended junior high) with a socially inept wierdo who murdered his parents in their sleep.

For the record I married a homeschooler who is a social butterfly and gets hit on just about everywhere she goes (And I'm not just saying that). So she totally blows away the homeschool stereotype. Our children, however, go to public school.

I remember reading in the paper a few years ago that OK had one of the highest SAT average scores. The reason is that most out of state schools require SAT and not ACT so the logic is only the kids going out of state are taking the SAT and these kids are typically more affluent, better educated etc. Not sure if this translates to home school as well but might explain some of the reasons that the home school ACT numbers are so low. I don't have time to look this up to be sure, just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I gotta agree with Cuatro here. Homeschooling is hit or miss just like any other method of education. Midtowner you seem to be coming from a place of hostility and/or maybe jealousy toward homeschoolers as you are very defensive about it.
    Actually no, I'm just pointing out that the facts presented by pro-homeschool groups regarding academic achievement are quite skewed.

I found that 183 number on a pro-homeschool site a couple days ago. I'm shooting myself now for not linking it. But even if you double the number to correct for the SAT (which again would be generous) you're only looking at 30% max college bound as opposed to 69% from public schools.

All that I can come up with shows that homeschooling is more miss than hit.

For some kids it does seem to work better. For most? Probably not. It would be difficult to quantify what's going on with those other kids academically because obviously, their parents for whatever reason don't believe in testing and aren't submitting their kids for a college-bound curriculum.

It's of course impossible to know whether or not those kids are taking the GED, so whatever the "real facts" are, I'm not sure anyone knows/wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiekatt View Post
    The majority of Guthrie is still in shock that he won the House seat. If you look at the voting polls, he did poorly in Guthrie (where we knew him) and did great in south county who didn't have a clue who he was. The big change is that South Logan County's population has grown so much and coupled with a very low Guthrie voter turn out, He won. The perfect storm.

Now Katt...please! although I cannot find it anywhere to confirm myself, if I remember right, Murphey won all but two of the precincts in Guthrie (the usual areas, read Demoncrat majority pockets).

You are once again letting your hate cloud your thinking.

Funny how the voters are stupid and surprised when it fits your agenda and smart and informed otherwise...

Marko, you're wrong, I don't remember all the numbers, but I was at the Depue watch party and he had it won until two big precincts came in , in SLC. The turn out levels for that runoff were remarkably small for Guthrie and remarkably large for SLC, I'll hand it to Jason, he got out the vote. People in Guthrie thought there was no way Depue would lose, so they didn't bother to vote. That's my two cents. ( you may be thinking of the finial vote against Murphey and Cook)

I don't Hate, I strongly mistrust, based on past behavior. No clouds here.

That's right, it was the final vote between Murphey and Cook I am thinking about.

Regardless.....you sure seem to have a lot of "mistrust" for Murphy!?!?

Were you around or paying attention during his city council days?????
    Councilman Stevens? 4 to3 votes? Recalls? Illegal Meetings?

I have no basis for mistrust AT ALL ! LOL

CLOUDED JUDGEMENT = OKIEKATT
    This statement is OkieKatt to a ( T )
    Funny how the voters are stupid and surprised when it fits your agenda and smart and informed otherwise...

It's a good thing for him that the Oklahoma Open Meetings Act doesn't apply to legislators!

Oh now come on, what is this all about. Did I miss some sort of breaking news or what?

I have clouded judgement? Really?
    Couldn't be that someone has promised you an election Jman? Is it?

The water is so muddy even the best noodler wouldn't step foot in it.

You are so funny...... How in the world could someone promise someone an election?????? Are you really that naive? I think that shows that you dont have much faith in the election process. But then again if all my candidates lost as have yours, I probably wouldnt have much faith either.

Don't put your money where your mouth is. It will take quite a long time to get all those knives out of someone's back.

Hmmmm not exactly sure what that comment means. Other than the usual someone speaking of something they have only heard rumors of and not the truth. But I would expect nothing less from you.

Thread Information