Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete's Piano Bar

Default Pete's Piano Bar

I just saw this in the DOK today, and didn't find a previous thread for it. Has anyone been to one of these? Cheesy or nice?

"With construction wrapping up this winter on The Centennial, Lower Bricktown developer Randy Hogan is preparing to start construction next month on the next addition — the future home of Pete's Piano Bar.
    The spot, between Harkins Theaters and Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, is scheduled to be finished by June 1, 2008.

"Pete's Piano Bar is from Austin, and they're in Addison and Sundance in Fort Worth,” Hogan said. "They're also about to open in Houston next to a House of Blues. It's a killer bar, the best, with dueling pianos.”

Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

I haven't been to any of the ones listed but there was one in Indianapolis that I used to frequent when I was at the bar hopping age. It really depends on the pianists (stating the obvious I know) if the 2 of them work well together it gets the crowd involved and can really get some good hearted banter going.

Thanks for posting that.

Looks like a fun, interesting concept and something new and unique to the city:

Pete's Dueling Piano Bar

Been to Pete's in Austin. Great piano bar. Should be a good addition to the lesser bricktown...

I remember they used to have a blind dueling pianist. He was amazing.

5. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

So do we think that will be on the first floor of the proposed 2-story building in that location? Or does it mean the small density is being scrapped for another pad site?

This one:
    http://okmet.org/cover/index.php?opt...d=107&Itemid=1

I've been to the one in Addision, TX near the Galleria. I thought it was pretty nice and fun. This was 5 years ago or so though. It is a needed addtion for entertainment to "lesser bricktown". I would like to see it in Automobile Alley near Red Prime though. I suppose Hogan's got to keep his pace of attracting suburban concepts though. Actually the name of the place is called Pete's Dueling Piano Bar and not Pete's Piano Bar.

I think this is great news!

I've been to the one in Addison a few times. The place really packs in a crowd, and the entertainment is great. Definitely not for the prudish though. If you don't offend easily, then you'll likely enjoy it. The key for them is finding the right talent though.

The place gets a pretty good Sooner contingent on OU/Texas weekend, so I'd imagine that the Bricktown location won't have many problems getting crowds from the get-go.

Something I forgot to mention. The one in Addison is on the second floor of a building, so it's possible they could do the same at this one and keep the first floor free for restaurants or retail.

9. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

Looks like it will be a great addition to Bricktown's entertainment options, even if it is a semi-chain.

Actually, City Walk has a dueling piano bar, so no, this won't be unique.

Correct, however I believe Pete's will offer a different environment/ambiance versus the "7 clubs in one" or whatever they claim. This will cater to a more mature crowd.

I think the concept is fine, but if it's the only business going in on that site, it's another colossal waste of prime publicly enhanced real estate. It's also bizarre that with all of the empty space on the the upper canal, that something would have to be built to bring this in.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Actually, City Walk has a dueling piano bar, so no, this won't be unique.
    The best thing about Pete's will be that you don't have to go to City Walk.

I also don't remember CW's being a dueling piano bar. Just remember one guy.

I used to go to a place called "Howl at the Moon" when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. It was actually on the second or third floor of one of those outdoor plaza shopping mall concepts called Cocowalk (http://z.about.com/d/miami/1/7/S/3/CocoWalk-4663.jpg). It was always packed. Lot of fun. As earlier mentioned, not for the prudish or easily offended. I did a brief check on Cocowalk's website. It's no longer there. Replaced by a "Coyote Ugly."

If memory serves. Bricktown has already tried - and lost- two similar enterprises.

Early B'town revelers will remember the place called Houlihans (or something similar in nature - an Irish sounding name) that was located on the back side of the Mercantile building across from Spaghetti Warehouse. I think it was in the same place where Maker's is now.

There was a second attempt made about 3-4 years ago. A small dueling piano bar was put in next to Mickey Mantle's (I think), facing the canal, about where Hooter's is now (sorry, I don't have my Bricktown Map in front of me). Edit:Thanks Easy180 - yes, this was Bricktown Keys.

Lousy beer in plastic cups, lousy service, lousy food and overall lousy atmosphere (cheap tables and cheaper "convention" type chairs (no ambiance whatsoever) all amounted to a lousy experience - even with decent piano players.

I agree the talent is what sells this. However, there has to be decent ambiance and appetizers, too. People get there hours ahead of time to "reserve" a good table, so good amenities are also important.

If it does come to pass, I'll be happy to give this new place a shot!

I believe the place was called Bricktown Keys and also think that at least one of the two guys at City Walk was from there

16. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

I used to go to the one in Austin all the time when I was in my full-on party mode a few years ago. They had a big guy named Dex that was AWESOME and my other favorite was a guy named Ronnie that I just always called Cowboy. In my drunken-ness I used to walk in, put $20 in the jar, hop on the piano and request You Never Even Called Me By My Name. It got to the point that they would just start playing it when I walked in. Good times man, good times......

17. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

Oh yeah and I took my Dad (a good ole' country boy from Northern Maine) there once and watched him suck down 15 shots of tequila. Again, good times man.....good times....nothing like watching your Daddy shoot tequila all night and still be standing up. Of course, I do believe that was the night he pulled a knife on a panhandler on 6th street but that's another story....

I went to the one in City Walk a few years ago and it definitely was dueling pianos. Not sure if it sure is. It was also pretty raunchy. My friends and I were the oldest people there and got a lot of ribbing from the piano players that we couldn't handle their brand of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I believe the place was called Bricktown Keys and also think that at least one of the two guys at City Walk was from there
    Before that it was called O'Brien's - I think that's what ParksGal was recalling. It was a pretty popular spot 16-17 years ago and was open fairly late if I remember correctly.

This could just be another case of "it won't work here until it's worked elsewhere". We kind of need some outside validation before we'll do something, which is probably why we get so giddy about chains.

Brought this thread back from the dead - any word on this? I heard some people at work talking about this.

Hogan continues to disappoint

From the original article: "With construction wrapping up this winter on The Centennial, Lower Bricktown developer Randy Hogan is preparing to start construction next month on the next addition — the future home of Pete's Piano Bar.
    The spot, between Harkins Theaters and Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, is scheduled to be finished by June 1, 2008.
    Hogan, HELLOOOOOOOOOOO it's July 1st, 2008 (one year, one month past your self imposed deadline) and dirt hasn't even moved yet on your now one story building. Keep that urban vision alive for stuccotown.

23. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

No joke; this project seems almost dead.

24. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

I hope it doesn't come to fruition. I've been to both the Addison and Austin locations. They're okay, but it's usually a place you go one time, and never return. They usually have the same guys doing the same schtick night after night, so you go once to say you've been.

Now, if they put in a single piano bar with different piano players like Mr. Smith's in DC, I think that would work. People loved that place, and would go repeatedly. That is what makes a bar work...repeated visits.

A dueling piano bar used to be in West End in Dallas. I think a similar fate would happen to one in lower Bricktown.

25. Default Re: Pete's Piano Bar

I just don't want it beside Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill. I FINALLY decided to go there this weekend because I had a friend visiting from Austin and the usual response when I tell anyone about that place is "nuh-uh" so we decided to check it out. They kicked me out so I hate them. My Texas DL is expired and it's almost impossible to get an Oklahoma one because of STUPID HB 1804 so they said I had to leave. That has never happened to me before BUT IF OKLAHOMA ESTABLISHMENTS WANT ME TO SPEND MY MONEY THERE THEY NEED TO MAKE IT A LITTLE EASIER FOR ME TO GET AN OKLAHOMA DRIVERS LICENSE. Ok I'm done yelling but I'm mad and I'm going to Austin Thursday for the weekend where I don't have to deal with this nonsense. I do love living here but still really, really hate HB 1804. I mean, I hate it's GUTS.

Thread Information