Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Anyone know approximately what the latest full-time population of Norman is (without the 28,000 OU students)? And what the growth rate of Norman is currently? Just curious, with all the development taking place in the city.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    Anyone know approximately what the latest full-time population of Norman is (without the 28,000 OU students)? And what the growth rate of Norman is currently? Just curious, with all the development taking place in the city.
    Well, according to city-data.com, here is Norman population and the gain since 2006, along with other surrounding burbs:

    Norman: 102,827 (+7.5% change)
    Edmond: 76,644 (+12.2% change)
    Moore: 49,277 (+19.8% change)
    Yukon: 22,279 (+5.9% change)-bulk of new construction is technically in OKC limits
    Mustang: 16,443 (+25.0% change)
    Choctaw: (+15.2% change)

    So I guess Norman is doing okay but compared to other suburbs around OKC, rate-wise it seems to be lagging. Obviously it has the largest population so its growth rate will be slower but I've heard from people that it is very expensive to build a house in Norman compared to other places and the resale home market is pretty pricey compared to other areas in the South Metro. And there's a stigma here that if your not a college coed who likes to get smashed at bars you'll have to drive to OKC to do anything. Hopefully with all the new construction going on it will change that perception and more rooftops will follow.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Wow I didn't realize the population in Norman was so high... Even with all the college kids here, it doesn't FEEL like theres 100k+ people in this city.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    ^Except when Lindsey becomes a parking lot every morning and evening

    Btw, thanks for those figures adaniel. Just like to point out though that on city-data.com it says these are figures for July 2006, not since 2006. Amazing the percentage gains in Moore and Mustang.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Actually the 102,827 figure is the population as of July 1, 2006, and the +7.5% figure is the gain from 2000 to 2006, not since 2006. Since the annual gain in this span has been slightly more than 1000 per year we can guess that the July 1, 2007, figure (which will be released early in 2008) will be right around 104,000.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    All town and cities with colleges and universities have the student population of the institution included in the overall population. Those students are considered part of the permenant residence because they are there at least 9 months of the year.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Whoops I misspoke...the growth rates are indeed from 2000 to 2006. Thanks for pointing it out.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Well Moore is claiming to have over 50,000 now officially and the stigma that there's nothing to do in Norman is flat-out WRONG. In fact if you live in Moore or Westmoore/S. OKC chances are you come down to Norman for better retail and restaurants to pick from. I know I do (I live in far SE Moore).

  9. #9

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    All town and cities with colleges and universities have the student population of the institution included in the overall population. Those students are considered part of the permenant residence because they are there at least 9 months of the year.
    Hmm, I thought to be a full-time resident you had to be a working citizen earning pay? I.e. not a student in college.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well Moore is claiming to have over 50,000 now officially and the stigma that there's nothing to do in Norman is flat-out WRONG. In fact if you live in Moore or Westmoore/S. OKC chances are you come down to Norman for better retail and restaurants to pick from. I know I do (I live in far SE Moore).

    I technically work in norman but i live in moore and i do the same. tons of stores, food, shopping etc in norman - im there atleast 1-2 a week for something. If i didnt live in moore i would in norman, but its pretty pricey to live there.

    you cant even tell a college is there until you get around campus. well that and all the hot chicks working everywhere.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    Hmm, I thought to be a full-time resident you had to be a working citizen earning pay? I.e. not a student in college.
    Then do you think that anybody without a paying job (children, housewives, etc.) is not counted in the census? Sheesh! Everybody is counted and everybody has a place of residence. At one time college students were counted in the population of their "hometown" but this was changed some decades ago since such students spend most of their time (and money) in the town where they attend college. Makes sense to me. More controversial I think is the practice of counting prisoners in the population of the town in which they are incarcerated---after all, they are not really participating members of that community.

  12. Default Re: Norman-latest pop. and growth rate

    ^Thanks for that clarification redland. Of course they're counted in the Census, just didn't know for sure if in the case they were out of state residents if they would be counted as Normanites.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO