Widgets Magazine

Thread: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

Default Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

A great new concept in hotel design by Starwood (Westin, W, Sheraton) called aloft. Yes, lower case 'a'. They plan to open 28 by the end of 2008 and hundreds in the next few years. Check out this fascinating glimpse of this new chain and behind-the-scenes of hotel design:
    Giving aloft A Lift

I think this would be a perfect fit for Bricktown/CBD.

2. Default Re: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

Tulsa is in the process of building one.

It is cool and all, but looking at the photo, it appears to be a suburban concept...just a souped-up Hamption Inn. I'm not sure that is what we want downtown...well maybe Less....uh, Lower Bricktown. Maybe if it were less of a horizontal mid-rise and more of a vertical high-rise.

Default Re: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

I believe the Founders Tower people are talking to them about a hotel for the former Continental site.

The styling almost reminds me of the French Ibis chain (it looks like prefab modular concrete) stacked together.

5. Default Re: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

Definitely dont want that in bricktown nor downtown, airport or crossroads or quail? perhaps, but not downtown.

I dont even want to see the Tulsa design on the NW Business district either. A more vertical one would be required, even there.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Re: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

It is interesting, but not really a good fit for downtown. I agree that Meridian would be a much better home for it.

I agree with the others, if this is to be downtown, it must be much more vertical. The Tulsa design is wayyyyyy to suburban in design. As Malibu said, the aloft concept is being seriously considered and has been proposed to adjoin the 360 condominiums at Founders Tower on NW Expressway.

Looks like the domino apartment blocks of the former East Germany. Surely OKC, (and even Tulsa for that matter) could do better that this! These type of structures are all over the highways of Europe and let me tell you, they are bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pollard View Post
    Looks like the domino apartment blocks of the former East Germany. Surely OKC, (and even Tulsa for that matter) could do better that this! These type of structures are all over the highways of Europe and let me tell you, they are bleak.
    Ridiculous. These designs are very cool for what they are catering to. Did you read the MSNBC story in the original post? These look nothing like the concrete block buildings of the former GDR.

10. Default Re: Perfect Hotel Fit For Bricktown/CBD

This aloft design for San Antonio looks pretty cool. It is better than any of our new construction hotels.

I would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
    Ridiculous. These designs are very cool for what they are catering to. Did you read the MSNBC story in the original post? These look nothing like the concrete block buildings of the former GDR.
    Actually yes they do. I lived in Germany for 5 years and know quite well what I am talking about. However, I do have to admit that the more vertical design that was posted for San Antonio is pretty funky. If this is what is being envisioned for OKC then by all means go for it.

San Antonio one looks GREAT for OKC!!! However, I'm sure the suburban one would fit nicely in Lesser Bricktown.

Thread Information