Widgets Magazine

Thread: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

Default Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

I-40 Crosstown gives truckers heebie-jeebies

By Ja’Rena Lunsford
    Business Writer

THE COLLAPSE of the Interstate-35W bridge in Minneapolis has the nation pondering why it happened. For many long-haul truck drivers — who make their living driving across the country's bridges every day — the collapse is an example of the dangers that go unrecognized until it's too late.

And some in the trucking industry believe those dangers are here in the Sooner State.

"We have a lot of deficient bridges in Oklahoma,” said Dan Case, executive director of the Oklahoma Trucking Association. "The majority of them are secondary bridges and county bridges.”

But there's one primary bridge that does make some truckers' list of infrastructures they would rather avoid: the Interstate 40 Crosstown.

Thursday, several long-haul drivers in Oklahoma City commented about what they believe are some of the worst bridges in the country.

Randy Olson
    •Trucking company: Southeastern Freight Lines, Oklahoma City Terminal.
    •Years in trucking: 10.

•Worst bridge: I-40 Crosstown, Oklahoma City.

•Why: "It's old and worn out. That thing will scare you to death. That's one beat-up bridge.”

Lloyd Lute
    •Trucking company: Mawson & Mawson Inc. based in Langhorne, Pa.
    •Years in trucking: 17.

•Worst bridge:

"All of the bridges anymore are the worst. (The government) spends the money on other things. The bridges over the big rivers are the worst. I just don't like driving over them. They ain't getting any better, that's for sure.”

Enrique Acosta
    •Trucking company: E.R. Acosta Trucking based in Hesperia, Calif.
    •Years in trucking: 18.

•Why: "I see a lot of bad roads and bridges in a lot of places. Crosstown here in Oklahoma City is very bad. Every time I go over that bridge I feel my truck sway; it's dangerous. I hope they do something about that bridge.”

Jim Hines
    •Trucking company: Adams & Sons Trucking Inc. based in Sidney, Neb.
    •Years in trucking: 27.

•Why: "It's just so rough and decaying. That one will shake your teeth loose.”

Gary Muse
    •Trucking company: Triangle Trucking Inc. based in Salina, Kan.
    •Years in trucking: 11.

•Worst bridge: George Washington Bridge, New York.

•Why: "It's rough and bumper to bumper. All the bridges in New York are pretty bad. The ones here in Oklahoma are pretty good compared to most places.”

Tony Barber
    •Trucking company: J.J. Cook Trucking based in Otsego, Mich.
    •Years in trucking: Two.

•Worst bridge: The Mackinac Bridge, Michigan.

•Why: "It's really narrow. When the wind gets to blowing, it gets your knees shaking. It sways. There are only two lanes. It's really bad during the wintertime.”

Danny Guinn
    •Trucking company: Allstates Transportation Co. based in Bensenville, Ill.
    •Years in trucking: Two.

•Worst bridge: Poplar Street Bridge, St. Louis

•Why: "When you get on the I-55 bridge in St. Louis you feel it shaking around. It gets spooky sometimes. It usually has lots of construction on it. If I hear there's construction on it, I won't even take it.”

Bill Maier
    •Trucking company: General Transportation Inc. based in Akron, Ohio.
    •Years in trucking: 34.

•Why: "I don't even go over there. I'm not afraid of it falling; it just beats you to death.”

Brian Teubert
    Long-haul truck driver Brian Teubert dislikes all bridges over water.
    That dislike has always included the Interstate-35W bridge, which the St. Cloud, Minn., resident travels regularly — and crossed two hours before Wednesday's collapse.

Teubert said on Wednesday as he crossed the bridge he thought of something that ironically never occurred to him before.

"When I was driving across it, I just thought, ‘What would happen if this thing gave out,'” said Teubert, who trucks for Lake State Transport.

"It was just a random thought.”

Teubert said he was shocked and saddened to learn that his random

2. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

This is part of that report I was talking about....perhaps the opponents to the relocation don't realize how crappy it is to people who don't live here. These are seasoned drivers that know their stuff. They may not be engineers (which we aren't either so admit that), but they have the same observations anyone with eyes do...the bridge is horrible!!!!

Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

Hey we have got to use our money to build bridges and roads in Iraq before we can build them in the U.S. j/k

4. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Hey we have got to use our money to build bridges and roads in Iraq before we can build them in the U.S. j/k
    Aaaand there you go. It's Bush's fault.

5. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

yep, bushs fault. since the fuel tax goes to infrastructure, and not overseas. i see how its his fault.

Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

great, another thread ruined by the Bush bashers.

7. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    i was being sarcastic

8. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

As was I.

9. Default Re: Another reason why ODOT needs to divert I-40 Crosstown truck traffic

American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials

AASHTO - Standing Committee on Planning - Home

AASHTO Overview

AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. It represents all five transportation modes: air, highways, public transportation, rail, and water. Its primary goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subcommittee on Bridges and Structures:

Oklahoma
    Robert J. Rusch (primary member)
    Division Engineer, Bridge
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation

Gregory D. Allen
    Assistant Bridge Engineer - Design
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation

AASHTO Strategic Plan

Download the 2005 Strategic Plan in PDF format.

AASHTO - AASHTO Home - Vision and Goals

Thread Information