Official Website
    Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon
    Eat Around OKC

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	5907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	5908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	5909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	5910  

Default Re: Red Prime

RED Prime
    We were at dinner with half a dozen others at Red Prime Saturday. The hostess, and Owner welcomed us warmly. Enjoyed refreshing cocktails & sweet potato chips at the bar. The wall of wines is impressive, even at less than full capacity. The Neon that lights the center hall will also pass overhead in the bar space which will look great.
    Our group got the round room and Service was great. Ian, the Wine manager, and our waiter Joel couldn't have been better: knowledgeable, friendly, & prompt.
    The food was very good. We had several appetitizers, the lump crab cakes, the tamales, salads (my favorite was the tomato mozarella) and the steaks were great! With so many people- there was a variety of cuts to sample from: the super soft and not at all gamey dry aged beef, the Kobe (very flavorfull) and the filets. The only thing I would change is that medium here is a lightly pink center, so I'd order my filet as medium rare next time. Several excellent wines accompanied our meal, and we finished with some cupcakes. A great experience and we will be back!

3. Default Re: Red Prime

I went to Red Prime for the first time Saturday night. Bar far the best steak I’ve had in Oklahoma City and probably one of the top 2 or 3 steaks I’ve ever had. My friends both said their steaks were the very best they’d ever tasted. The staff was all fantastic; the manager was even nice enough to show me how to enter the ladies room while my dumb ass stood outside the door trying to figure out how to open it (push). We sat at a table, the booths looked perfect for a romantic evening for two (or however many you like LOL). I finally got to meet Tuck too, THANKS for the great dinner! We’ll be back for sure and will spread the word.

And Metro I posted this both places just for you.

Well I'll finally get to posting my review of Red Prime. My wife and I ate here a few weeks back for my birthday. I called ahead for reservations and they gave us a private booth when we arrived. It was very nice and very private. The waiters wear some sort of throwback steakhouse jacket which adds an interesting flair. The restaurant has sort of a retro-modern vibe, especially the private booths. It appears the wall colors and other things are a burnt orange color (blah reminds me of Texas Longhorns). Although as it gets darker outside the red neon seems to reflect better of the burnt orange walls and it appears more red. The atmosphere is excellent!!!

We ended up splitting the 40 day dry aged ribeye 14oz. they had (more than enough for two) and we got two sides or "accessories" as they call it. We picked the black pepper crust for the steak and got the black truffle butter sauce. I must say it was excellent. I've had truffle butter on steak before and let me tell you it's heaven. I did however think the black pepper crust detracted too much flavor from the dry aged steak though. All your accessories are extra FYI. We ordered the green chile mac and cheese and the slivered asparagas. I must say they were flat out amazing. The asparagus was the best we'd ever had, and my wife cooks pretty amazing asparagus. The mac and cheese was delicious as well. We capped it off with the red velvet cupcakes for dessert. They were okay but not that great and definitely not the quality one would expect for such a fine steakhouse. In fact, none of their dessert menu had a "wow" factor to it. It seems like everything else is amazing, atmosphere, appetizers, entrees and steaks, accessories, and then the dessert menu is sub-par. (sorry tuck)

The service was excellent, the waiter always checked in, almost too frequently. When your steak is served, they bring fine steak knifes in a display box to your table and open the box for you. They bring out fresh silverware for each course, etc. The tables also featured a cool LED "faux" candle that is pretty neat and I'm sure Rand designed.

All in all, I highly recommend this place, especially for a fancy occasion. Be prepared to easily spend $100-$200, although you can go cheaper if you order a chicken caesar salad or fried chicken or something. I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Well I'll finally get to posting my review of Red Prime. My wife and I ate here a few weeks back for my birthday. I called ahead for reservations and they gave us a private booth when we arrived. It was very nice and very private. The waiters wear some sort of throwback steakhouse jacket which adds an interesting flair. The restaurant has sort of a retro-modern vibe, especially the private booths. It appears the wall colors and other things are a burnt orange color (blah reminds me of Texas Longhorns). Although as it gets darker outside the red neon seems to reflect better of the burnt orange walls and it appears more red. The atmosphere is excellent!!!

We ended up splitting the 40 day dry aged ribeye 14oz. they had (more than enough for two) and we got two sides or "accessories" as they call it. We picked the black pepper crust for the steak and got the black truffle butter sauce. I must say it was excellent. I've had truffle butter on steak before and let me tell you it's heaven. I did however think the black pepper crust detracted too much flavor from the dry aged steak though. All your accessories are extra FYI. We ordered the green chile mac and cheese and the slivered asparagas. I must say they were flat out amazing. The asparagus was the best we'd ever had, and my wife cooks pretty amazing asparagus. The mac and cheese was delicious as well. We capped it off with the red velvet cupcakes for dessert. They were okay but not that great and definitely not the quality one would expect for such a fine steakhouse. In fact, none of their dessert menu had a "wow" factor to it. It seems like everything else is amazing, atmosphere, appetizers, entrees and steaks, accessories, and then the dessert menu is sub-par. (sorry tuck)

The service was excellent, the waiter always checked in, almost too frequently. When your steak is served, they bring fine steak knifes in a display box to your table and open the box for you. They bring out fresh silverware for each course, etc. The tables also featured a cool LED "faux" candle that is pretty neat and I'm sure Rand designed.

All in all, I highly recommend this place, especially for a fancy occasion. Be prepared to easily spend $100-$200, although you can go cheaper if you order a chicken caesar salad or fried chicken or something. I'll be back soon.
    I have been waiting for your comments...thanks for the feedback. I agree that the sauce/rub combo for the dry-age is sometimes too much, especially with the truffle butter. We actually chose our dry age company because their product is a bit on the "mild" side for dry age product. As far as desserts go, where else can you get Chicken Fried Strawberry Shortcake? I'll buy you a Warm Fudge SpoonCake w/Salted Caramel next time you're in. I'm not a big cupcake fan in general; not really understanding all the national attention these little bastards are getting.

Metro, thanks again for your comments.

6. Default Re: Red Prime

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I'm not a big cupcake fan in general; not really understanding all the national attention these little bastards are getting.
    Hahahaha. I have to agree. Now, personally, I LOVE cupcakes, but for very different reasons than other people. I help with a lot of bake sales at school, and my oven is pretty crappy, and often doesn't cook anything all the way through except for cupcakes! They are also easily portioned and sold.

However, I don't totally understand the whole Sprinkles and Crumbs phenomenon, either, except to say that maybe they are just retro and will go the way of other food fads and come back again in popularity in 20 years or so.

Frankly, that warm fudge cake w/salted caramel sauce sounds amazing. My birthday is in one month and one day. Looks like Mid should start saving up now! Bwhahahahaha.

I look forward to finally getting to visit the restaurant, and you as well, tuck!
    Still corrupting young minds

Thanks for the reply back tuck. I'll ask for you next time I'm in. I meant to last time but forgot. I guarantee you'll see what all the rage is on those cupcakes nationally if you have a superb one. Try Kara's cupcakes in San Francisco. I bet they can mail order you some. It's worth the price. I hear Sprinkles is good but I haven't tried them yet. I suggest you lose the cupcakes off your menu or tweak them. I will give you credit on the fact that Red Prime is good with it's name sake, cooking prime cuts of meat.

I have had Sprinkles...they are good, for cupcakes. Some people also just aren't Red Velvet Cake fans in general; this I don't understand either. If you grow up in the South, you grow with Red Velvet.

tuck, again, if you weren't blown away by Sprinkles then they must not be as good. I highly recommend you try Kara's Cupcakes in Ghiradelli Square in San Fran. Have them mail order you some. Try the Chocolate Ganache and the Vanilla Cream. They are the best desserts I've had ever. Simply amazing. No grainy or cakey texture whatsoever and no sugary taste or feel. They truly melt in your mouth.

done

11. Default Re: Red Prime

Okay, these must be some Great cupcakes:

gift package $85.00
    milk & cupcakes!2 dozen gift-wrapped cupcakes with a glass bottle of fresh organic milk in a cute package

Actually, they have a
    Sweet Package $15.00
    A selection of 4 “lovely” cupcakes that will make you swoon. Presented in a custom white box adorned with Kara's Cupcakes signature wrapping and sealed with our signature sticker. The perfect gift for any holiday, celebration, thank you or birthday treat!

How to Order

Advance order:

minimum 1 dozen
    24 hours notice
    24 hour cancellation policy
    call: 415 563-CAKE
    fax: 415 563-2252
    or download our pdf order form

Kara's Cupcakes, San Francisco Cupcakes, SF Cupcakes, San Francisco Cupcake Bakery
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

12. Default Re: Red Prime

Fudge and salted caramel?

Where do I sign up? You could probably pour that over Forrest Gump's left running shoe and I'd still eat it.

Yeah, that's the one I had the Fleur de Sal or whatever. It was fudge with ganache center and topped with carmel and sea salt

I had dinner there last night, so wanted to post my review. First of all, this is far and away the most urban feeling of restuarants in OKC. If I'd walked out the door and been in Atlanta or New York, I'd not have been surprised. Our service was excellent. We are not big eaters, so I didn't get the chance to taste a lot of the sdes, and we were too full for dessert, so I cannot comment on a lot of things. I was dying to try the fried tomatoes caprese, and was sorry to find Red Prime doesn't serve lunch, as it would have been a great lunch time meal. I had the cracked pepper rub on a filet and followed it with the bourbon mushroom sauce, which was quite wonderful. I thought the asparagras was good, but not great. We tried the truffe butter and decided it is an acquired taste....one I think I'd like to acquire., and a third sauce which contained veal stock, red wine and jalapeno was quite good, My son had the OreGold mashed potatoes and they were divine, and the steak fries were quite good as well. I'm really sorry we had a birthday cake waiting at home, as there were serveral desserts I'd like to try. All in all it was a very good dining experience. I would suggest using different bread, as it was rather cold and bland and serving the food at a slightly higher temperature. I was given red velvet cupcakes to take home, since it was my birthday and we had cake waiting at home. So, I can have either one of them or respberries and cream cake for breakfast. Yum..

My wife and I tried out Red Prime last Friday for the first time and I have to agree with Betts on the urban feel. Nice to see OKC is supporting more of these restaurants. It was also very busy which was a little surprising given the pricing. However even though very expensive for OKC my wife said it was the best steak she has ever had (a filet with black pepper crust and bearnaise sauce). I eat steak much more often than she does though and I have to say it is definitely at the top of great steaks I have had (I had a filet with coriander crust and red sauce). We also had the mashed potatoes which were excellent as well and the broccoli with cheese fondue which I was a little disappointed in but it was still good. We were also seated in a private room which was very nice so all in all definitely a great experience, but as metro mentioned earlier be prepared to drop some money on this great meal.

16. Default Re: Red Prime

Red Prime is great. In case you're interested, here's a link to my review on my blog:

Oklahoma City goes ultra-hip with Red Prime Steak

I know I posted this info in the other Red Prime thread in Metro Area Talk, but I thought it would be worthwhile here in the food review section.

FYI... A little downtowner tip for those wanting to go to Red Prime on a budget. Every weekday Mon-Fri they have Happy Hour from 4:30-7pm in the bar/front area. They have a short menu of appetizers that are regularly $8-$15 for $3 a piece and a person is limited to like 3 a piece. Also as always complimentary bar food as Taggart mentioned are the bottomless sweet potato chips with chipotle mayonaise (addictive). I think certain domestic beers are $2 (I'm not a drinker so not sure which ones). The Happy Hour food is a great way to sample several items on a budget, and then save the steaks for special occasions!

After deciding to just now go to their website for the first time in months, I confirmed this info online and here is the happy hour menu:

http://www.redprimesteak.com/media/Happy-Hour-Menu.pdf

Also, I ate their twice in the last week. After the Downtown Living Tour, a few of us volunteers go together there. I ordered the very addictive green chili mac and cheese, $8. Again, highly recommend it! Best mac and cheese I've ever had and I get it every time I'm there. Also had the beef tenderloin tamales that come with a poblano chimichurri and sun-dried tomato cream, they are $10 for two. They were excellent, however too "gourmet" for me. I usually like this sort of thing, but I guess I like my tamales old fashioned. I couldnt' hardly taste the corn tortilla exterior. Highly recommend most of Red Prime's apps though, again go from 4:30-7pm on a weekday to experiment!

18. Default Re: Red Prime

Some of the teachers from my school and I ventured over to Red Prime for the happy hour last Friday. I was very happy with my $3 shrimp cocktail and Red Mojito. And white cosmo. And the sweet potato chips.

No, I did not eat dinner haha. Good deal, those free chips. Very yummy.
    Still corrupting young minds

Had the Beef Carpaccio last night. The menu says they serve it "cheeseburger" style. Not thinking when I ordered, I forgot it's raw meat. When it arrived it was a good sized portion. It is served with sourdough toast points, red onions, tomatoes and longhorn fondue. I must say, I was completely blown away, tuck/good egg never disappoints.

It was phenomenal and I highly recommend this dish to all meat eaters. The "carpaccio" is very thin raw red meat, and it came with some sea salt garnished on top. Put a little meat on a toast point, a little onions and chopped tomatoes at your pleasure, and then sprinkle a little fondue on top. Amazing! Not a bad light meal for $12. Kind of like an American version of sushi if you will. I'll definitely be back soon. Keep in mind they now have free limo service to all home Thunder games before and after the game too.

20. Default Re: Red Prime

Sounds tempting. Is it considered an entree? Will is go well with the chips?!!? Man I love their chips.

No, it's just an appetizer, but good portion and I made it a meal. I didn't have it with the chips and aioli but it would go well with them.

My wife and I ate at Red Prime tonight, sort of on the spur of the moment. We have been 6 or 8 times before, but not for a few months. As an added bonus, they are running a fixed price menu - appetizer, entree, side, and dessert for $35/person. Without a doubt, that was the best $70 meal we have had together.

Red Prime is really something special for OKC. The service has always been top notch, the food is creative and of very good quality, the preparation and plating are thoughtful....and the architecture succeeds at transporting you to a different place for your dinner.

Just want to let everyone know that we have decided to continue the prix-fixe menu through spring and summer of 2009.

Thanks again for all of the support.

http://www.redprimesteak.com/media/R...ecial-limo.pdf

Had it two weeks ago, definitely a bargain!

25. Default Re: Red Prime

Awesome!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information