Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

Default Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

BLOG Disney is dealing. In Oklahoma.by Ted Streuli
    The Journal Record July 30, 2007

Straight from Tomorrowland, here's the press release:

Oklahoma City – Gov. Brad Henry will be joined by officials of Walt Disney World Resorts on Tuesday, July 31, to announce an exciting project that will help put an international spotlight on Oklahoma. It goes on to say that Henry, Oklahoma Secretary of Commerce and Tourism Natalie Shirley, and Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee will announce a partnership of some sort.

Best case scenario: Disney Universe, the logical third step after Disneyland and Disney World, will be built in Oklahoma. That would truly be an "exciting project." Back in the 1980s, there were many rumblings about Disney contemplating a park in Oklahoma, with its moderate weather, available land and central location. It's a swell idea, and it's been a while since Disney built a new one – even the one near Paris is 15 years old now and the one near Tokyo has been going since 1983.

Worst case scenario: State employees will now get a 10 percent discount when they visit a Disney resort or book a Disney Cruise Lines vacation. That would only be an "exciting project" in the mind of someone writing a press release about it.

Most likely scenario: They're dredging up some extra publicity for the exhibition of Oklahoma heritage and history that will be at Epcot Sept. 28-Nov. 11. It's on the Centennial Web site, which mentions Oklahoma will be the first state to have an "experience" dedicated to it at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. It's hard to imagine that's a big announcement, since it was first reported more than seven months ago and the Centennial's had it on the Web site for ages. Still the best bet, though.

2. Default Re: Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

Keep fingers crossed,

Disney Universe - and that it is built near or in Oklahoma City.

Now that surely would put OKC on the map for GOOD!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

haha... Maybe that is why McClendon was buying up land in Arcadia... to sell to Disney folks for a theme park at a nice markup.

I would be stunned if they put a disney park here. This would be HUGE.

I would like to get hold of some of whatever the person is drinking/smoking that first had the thought that a Disney park might be built in Oklahoma. That must be some mind blowing stuff.

6. Thumbs up Re: Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

If Oklahoma City lands a Disney Park, this city will become the next Orlando. Plus, the airport WILL grow rapidly!! Since DFW has a major Six Flags park, then it only makes sense for Disney to build in Oklahoma. The last rumor I heard years ago was that Disney was looking at land around the Shawnee area. That would be a perfect place for it since there are so many trees and some hills around there. Plus, it's still in the OKC CMSA. I really hope like many of you on here that this is for real.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    If Oklahoma City lands a Disney Park, this city will become the next Orlando. Plus, the airport WILL grow rapidly!! Since DFW has a major Six Flags park, then it only makes sense for Disney to build in Oklahoma. The last rumor I heard years ago was that Disney was looking at land around the Shawnee area. That would be a perfect place for it since there are so many trees and some hills around there. Plus, it's still in the OKC CMSA. I really hope like many of you on here that this is for real.
    While I think it would be absolutely great for us to get a Disney park, I think it would be 10 times more likely that we would get the Sonics here for this season.

So yeah, I don't think it would happen.

That definately would put Oklahoma City on the map though. How many people does one of those parks employ?

From what I heard on the news last night (and they're not always reliable) but they mentioned it was just announcing the "exhibition" at Epcot Center featuring the Oklahoma Centennial. As someone mentioned, Oklahoma will be the first state they've ever done a feature on. Hello, both the article above, the news, the Centennial Commission have mentioned Epcot in everything. Hence the feature being shown at Epcot in Orlando. If they were building a park in Oklahoma, they would have no need to mention Epcot.

Yeah, a park in Oklahoma wouldn't really make sense. Disney parks are set up for a great deal of international tourism. Why would you build a park in a city where there are only around one or two international flights?

That said, Disney knows about Oklahoma, no doubt. Former VP of Parks and Hotels Entertainment, Rich Taylor is now the dean of the Oklahoma University school of music theater.

Moderate weather in Oklahoma? Just like Anaheim and Orlando. Not!

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    The last rumor I heard years ago was that Disney was looking at land around the Shawnee area.
    That's no rumor. They really were. I haven't heard anything about this recently, but considering how difficult it can be for people not on the coasts to get to Orlando or Anaheim, putting a park in the OKC area would make perfect sense.

I think Disney is wanting to build again, but that's just my gut feel on this. But they were really looking at land between Shawnee and MWC in the past, and the state would probably just give it to them, since there's not a lot out there anyway.

I don't expect this to happen, but it would guarantee OKC's ascent to becoming a major, major city. And fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JWil View Post
    That's no rumor. They really were. I haven't heard anything about this recently, but considering how difficult it can be for people not on the coasts to get to Orlando or Anaheim, putting a park in the OKC area would make perfect sense.

I think Disney is wanting to build again, but that's just my gut feel on this. But they were really looking at land between Shawnee and MWC in the past, and the state would probably just give it to them, since there's not a lot out there anyway.

I don't expect this to happen, but it would guarantee OKC's ascent to becoming a major, major city. And fast.
    The state can't just give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    For something like they they can.

The impact that something like this would have for the entire state would be immense.

16 million visitors a year? Can you imagine what that would do for the state image and economy? It could fundamentally change Oklahoma forever.

The only single event that I could think of that would imact Oklahoma more would be if Microsoft relocated to Edmond or something.

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    For something like they they can.

The impact that something like this would have for the entire state would be immense.

16 million visitors a year? Can you imagine what that would do for the state image and economy? It could fundamentally change Oklahoma forever.

The only single event that I could think of that would imact Oklahoma more would be if Microsoft relocated to Edmond or something.
    No. The state cannot legally take land they don't own and sell it (or give it) to a private corporation. To do so would require a change in the Constitution, or at least a Supreme Court Opinion overruling a Supreme Court Opinion from last year (ain't gonna happen).

The law would also have to be a general law, not a special one.. so it couldn't be the 'Disney Land Seizure Act of 2009" or whatever.

I'm certain that if a company such as Disney were to wish to purchase land in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma, Disney would probably in fairly short order be able to purchase the land needed for their new park.

This just seems all ridiculously unlikely to me though. Our airport infrastructure would require BILLIONS in upgrades, not to mention our highways. Where is all of that money going to come from?

No. The state cannot legally take land they don't own and sell it (or give it) to a private corporation.
    I agree with that statement. I was working on the assumtion that it was already public land.

And yeah, where would the rest of the money come from on upgrades? We would have to build a whole new airport in essence.

...And this is where sarcastic/jokey type comments don't do so well online.

I realize that. I was just implying that things would easily come together for them if they really wanted to do that here.

Has the announcement been made yet?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Has the announcement been made yet?
    You just wanted to have a post at 4:20 didn't you?

Seriously though, I am curious as well. Has anyone heard anything?

its on newsok.com now

betts most likely scenario is it

21. Default Re: Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

Regarding the announcement...no shock, anything bigger than this was a pipe dream.

About another park. Remember when Disney was ready to break ground on Disney's America in Virginia. It was going to be the Disney experience with the back drop of America's history. Fell on its face.

New theme parks are massive undertakings and require billions of investment capital. A project the size of Disney's typical projects also require a lot of room. Personally, I would probably put it somewhere along Highway 9 between I-35 and I-44. This would give two routes to the park from the North and South. It is the shortest trip from the airport as well...and offers plenty of room out there for expansion. The other big thing, Disney parks need water...so expect a ton of man made lakes.

The only negative...snow and ice. Could it work here? Probably. With the feed from Texas and surrounding states, it would likely sustain it. Also develop the parks around things that would really fit in with the area.

- Frontier-style town with the classic water rides, theme rides, wooden coasters.
    - Science and heritage area - a mini Epcot focusing on our state's technology industries (medical, meteorology, etc) and also give a glipmse into the American Indian and frontier families. Maybe also develop a refuge similar to Wichita Mtns focusing on Oklahoma's native species.
    - Fantasyland - Your typical Disney experience - not sure whose castle is left to be built.

Okay enough pointless rambling.

My money would be on a Chinese or Indian (the country) park before one in Oklahoma.

Last year, my wife and I went to Disney World. They had an exhibit on the opening of their newest park, Hong Kong Disneyland.

Hong Kong Disneyland

Seems their expansion focus has been international rather than USA. I'm sure they'll add another park somewhere in the USA eventually though.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Last year, my wife and I went to Disney World. They had an exhibit on the opening of their newest park, Hong Kong Disneyland.

Hong Kong Disneyland

Seems their expansion focus has been international rather than USA. I'm sure they'll add another park somewhere in the USA eventually though.
    I hadn't heard that, but their strategy makes a lot of sense.

Yeah Disney China would make alot of sense, especially with their mind-blowing expansion and their huge 1.3 billion population.

Thread Information