Widgets Magazine

Thread: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

Default High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

About 5 years ago there was alot of talk in the state legislature about a high-speed rail system between Tulsa and OKC. I'll repost the article from a few years ago below. Has anyone heard anything about if this project is taking off?

OKLAHOMA CITY (April 3) – Travelers may be able to zoom between Oklahoma City and Tulsa at speeds between 125 and 150 miles per hour if a proposed high-speed rail service connecting the cities is approved.

During a joint meeting of both the House and Senate Transportation Committees, legislators evaluated the cost and feasibility of implementing high speed rail service between the state’s two largest cities. Rep. Mike Tyler, chairman of the House Transportation Committee, said Oklahoma can’t afford not to get on board.

“High-speed rail is an absolute necessity for Oklahoma to stay competitive,” the Sapulpa Democrat said. “Economically, we need to have a mass transit system between these two cities.”

Tyler said a feasibility study identified a need for a passenger rail connection between the state’s two largest economic centers. The challenge is for the connection to be competitive with automobile travel time. According to the Department of Transportation, present automobile travel time from Oklahoma City to Tulsa via the Turner Turnpike is approximately one hour and 45 minutes under favorable conditions. Travel time forecasts for high-speed rail are just over an hour.

Tyler said the rail service would be especially attractive to business travelers who could utilize the travel time and still make the trip in the same or less amount of time. “The Turner Turnpike is getting more crowded and is one of the most heavily traveled corridors – especially among business travelers.”

The high-speed connection is equally important from a tourism standpoint, Tyler said. The original study determined that a route between Oklahoma City and Tulsa would have potential for service throughout southwest corridors, including service through to Kansas City. “Oklahoma City and Tulsa could become a hub to other locations, bringing tourists and travelers in from other areas while serving the many people who travel frequently inside the state.”

Sen. Dave Herbert, D-Midwest City, said Oklahoma has already proved that there is a demand for rail service. The Heartland Flyer, a railway between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City, began operation in June 1999. Herbert said the route has performed beyond expectations. “The projection was that the service would have 20,000 passengers but it is averaging 60,000. It is one of the best performing routes in the nation.”

Tyler said that about five years ago the state purchased a rail between Oklahoma City and Tulsa with the anticipation of one day using it. The current rail would need major upgrades to be suitable for the 125 to 150 mile per hour speeds the train would travel. Members of the legislative transportation committees are studying several alternative corridor paths. Depending on what route and the type of train selected, the travel time for the rail service could range between 55 to 69 minutes and cost between $800 million to $950 million.

Tyler said the state would have to shoulder very little of the cost. He said that while different funding sources are being studied, one revenue stream would be a one-cent gasoline sales tax to be assessed for 10 years, generating a total of $180 million.

Herbert said the state is trying to attract federal dollars for the project and should be able to secure 80 percent of the cost from federal matching funds. “We could have a $1 billion project in our state for very little cost to taxpayers,” he said.

Both legislators said that it will ultimately come down to a vote of the people. Herbert said the committee’s goal is to get the issue on the ballot this November.

Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

The question is...would it be more economically feasible to go from OKC to Tulsa or from OKC to Dallas, first?

Imagine an OKC/DFW high speed rail. That would make more sense than an OKC/TUL rail IMO.

4. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

certainly would be more populated OKC/DFW and also more straight track!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

OKC to Tulsa just doesn't make sense to me. If you took high speed rail to Tulsa what are you going to do when you get there? Atleast in Dallas you could get on DART or Trinity and OKC has a host of downtown attractions.

People are going to need to get back and forth from Tulsa to OKC for the NBA games, folks. Build it.

Rail built specifically to cater to a few thousand fans during one season only a couple times a week? Doesn't sound feasible.

Even include tourists, business and whatever other travelers and I still think OKC/DFW makes more sense.

I still think we need to follow the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport example. Build a large, regional airport between Tulsa and Oklahoma City and connect it with rail. And I want to be done with security when I get on the train.

9. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

^ never gonna happen

High speed rail between OKC and Tulsa needs to happen.

It'd be such a great way to link the only two major cities in Oklahoma and would provide many opportunities for jobs on both sides of the pike -- or either end of the rail.

I'd much prefer a Japanese or Euro style high speed link that could be somewhere in the 200+mph range.

11. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

Cost is exponentially related to speed. But why not...seeing Oklahoma at 220 MPH would be a blast.

12. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

The question that has to be answered is......what do I do when i get there? My car is in OKC, and so I need transportation. Neither OKC nor Tulsa have transit good enough to get you everywhere you want to go. Until that happens, it really is pointless to have a anything.

13. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

Since talking pie in the sky...

How about a high-speed train you could drive your car into like a ferry?

14. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

Tulsa is one hour away by car via a non-congested highway.

Who in the heck is going to take a train?

DFW makes soooo much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post

One hour????

I drive between the two cities about twice a month, ive never got anywhere close to 1 hour. Maybe the extreme outskirts in 1.5 hours. How fast are you driving(lock mine on 82mph the entire turn pike)

i think it would be great to have a train...i remeber when i used to come from tulsa to norman for OU football games, turner is always packed then. No one has mentioned the possible use for that during football season and then hopefulyl we get a NBA team back.

16. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

^ I agree.

I think Oklahoma needs RAIL access for OKC-Tulsa, but the high-speed link should be OKC-DFW! Makes much more sense.

Like was said, there is way more to do once you got off a train in downtown OKC or Dallas. Whereas the Tulsa route could serve commuters and/or entertainment needs in OKC.

17. Default Re: High-speed Railway from OKC to Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by rugbybrado View Post
    One hour????

I drive between the two cities about twice a month, ive never got anywhere close to 1 hour. Maybe the extreme outskirts in 1.5 hours. How fast are you driving(lock mine on 82mph the entire turn pike)

i think it would be great to have a train...i remeber when i used to come from tulsa to norman for OU football games, turner is always packed then. No one has mentioned the possible use for that during football season and then hopefulyl we get a NBA team back.
    I've been known to really let loose on a few stretches of road every now and again...But downtown to downtown is 106 miles (via Google maps)...At 82 MPH that doesn't equal 1.5 hours.

Are you leaving from the west side of OKC or something? I go from the east side of OKC and I'm at my destination in S Tulsa in roughly an hour from the time I leave my neighborhood. Sometimes a bit more, but I'm just generalizing the time anyway...I don't think people will ride a train between here and Tulsa because it isn't a bad drive.

One hour away? Lord, you have to be going at least 120 mph the whole way for that to happen.

In regards to what happens you get off the train, there could always be taxis. Say you have a meeting in OKC and take the Tulsa train down to OKC, just grab a taxi and head out. They have something like this in Baltimore, where outside the train station there are taxis just lined up waiting to take people.

I do think it would be great for the economy. Gas prices are high, and people may be inclined to use it since they wouldn't have to pay for gas or for the toll.

I would prefer the money spent to develop rail in Tulsa and OKC first. Here in Florida we passed, and then repealed, a constitutional amendment to build high speed rail. I love the idea of rail but was against the plan. Get me to and from work 5 days a week and I will worry about the weekend.

Are you leaving from the west side of OKC or something? I go from the east side of OKC and I'm at my destination in S Tulsa in roughly an hour from the time I leave my neighborhood. Sometimes a bit more, but I'm just generalizing the time anyway...I don't think people will ride a train between here and Tulsa because it isn't a bad drive.

Im usually going from moore to south east tulsa area.

Thread Information