Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

Default Re: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    You are definitely correct when you say that the city shouldn't rest and assume that we've reached our goals or potential. I think the sky is the limit for downtown OKC and the metro as a whole. The vacancy rate is somewhat skewed by so much of the Class C space being vacant. The last report I remember seeing, and this is about a year or so ago, the Class A rate downtown was 14.9% vacant. That's not too bad. I would venture to guess that it's around 13% currently. If Devon decides to build a huge tower downtown, it will take roughly two years for construction and I would expect that our occupancy levels would be vastly improved by then. Between company moves from the suburbs to downtown, and possible new corporations coming to OKC, I think a Devon Tower would not be a negative factor in the office market. Thoughts??
    I honestly don't know whether a Devon tower would be a negative factor in the office market. I do think Larry Nichols is showing very good judgment to be concerned about it...it demonstrates that he is a thoughtful advocate for the city and is not going to rush into doing something just because he can afford it.
    You are optimistic, and optimism is good. But what company moves from the suburbs have you seen beyond Sandridge and maybe a scattered small firm here or there? I don't think there has been a fundamental attitude shift in this regard. Dirt is flying on Memorial Road faster than ever. Also: what new corporations are on the horizon? Again, I don't want to be the downer, maybe you know some things I don't. But beyond MG, and even that seems questionable, I haven't heard of lots of new companies coming in and clamoring for Downtown office space.
    It would seem the key is to convert as much of the Class C space as possible to residential, boutique hotel, or other uses, such as back office. Move the firms still in those spaces to Class A or Class B. Then maybe the overall vacancy rate will come down. Also: so much of that Class C space is in the First National Center. I'll be anxious to see what happens there.

There are many LARGE firms in OKC that most locals don't know about. I'm sure there are more out there that I don't know about than do. Jasco products, Hobby Lobby, CENTURY, Paycom(which is sadly building a Memorial Rd. HQ), alamode, American Fidelity, LONGWAVE, LOPEZ FOODS, and many others are very large firms in OKC that could easily do more as far as corporate support in the community as well as some of them it would be feasible to relocate downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    There are many LARGE firms in OKC that most locals don't know about. I'm sure there are more out there that I don't know about than do. Jasco products, Hobby Lobby, CENTURY, Paycom(which is sadly building a Memorial Rd. HQ), alamode, American Fidelity, LONGWAVE, LOPEZ FOODS, and many others are very large firms in OKC that could easily do more as far as corporate support in the community as well as some of them it would be feasible to relocate downtown.
    EXACTLY what I am talking about. And why is Express Personnel building their HQ in Piedmont? I am a realist and I realize that not every company is going to locate downtown, nor should they. But in reality, if you have a large company, why wouldn't you want to be in the geographic center of the potential employee base? How many excellent people in Midwest City are never going to apply to Paycom? How many smart people in Moore won't bother with Express Personnel? In St. Louis where I live, 90% of the growth has been west and downtown is no longer the geographical center. OKC has had much more balanced growth and downtown should be using that to their advantage.

4. Default Re: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

I agree STL

I think times are a changin for downtown OKC tho. Announcements of some kind are happening almost daily now. This is a GREAT time for downtown OKC!!!

And like WE both said, as long as the city does not rest on its laurels, downtown will once again become the business center of the state, not JUST the entertainment center.

I predict, once the Sonics do relocate to OKC, development will skyrocket. Not soo much because of the Sonics but because of what the NBA does for your city - we become major league in the eyes of marketers/advertisers. This translates into corporations!!

And the city has a good baseline established with its zoning and C2S designations, so as long as the city holds businesses and developers to quality and dense URBAN design and as long as the development is appropriate for the zoning, nothing should stop the next wave of development.

Could OKC be a different looking city in 2010 - with the Sonics (now a different name, say Bolts/Thunderbolts) and all of the current construction complete with new stuff getting started???

I predict so.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    EXACTLY what I am talking about. And why is Express Personnel building their HQ in Piedmont? I am a realist and I realize that not every company is going to locate downtown, nor should they. But in reality, if you have a large company, why wouldn't you want to be in the geographic center of the potential employee base? How many excellent people in Midwest City are never going to apply to Paycom? How many smart people in Moore won't bother with Express Personnel? In St. Louis where I live, 90% of the growth has been west and downtown is no longer the geographical center. OKC has had much more balanced growth and downtown should be using that to their advantage.
    stl, I don't think Express Personnel is building their HQ in Piedmont. They recently just built their new HQ on NW Expressway just west of Council just 3-4 years ago and have expanded it since.

I'm very glad to see that debate wasn't being discouraged.
    I just wanted us as a City,to think as we have done with the MAPS project.
    I'm all fine with postive thinking and striving, for the future but I seen to many dumb projects let loose not only community wise,but corporately.
    I dunno where the "GM experience" mention above by HotRod came from.
    I was a Marine for 20 years,retired as a E9.

why is Express Personnel building their HQ in Piedmont?
    Express Personnel is moving to a new building at 9701 Boardwalk Blvd.... Anybody know where this is? Doesn't show up on any mapping software.

But it certainly isn't downtown and their current HQ is way out on NW Expressway.

Bob Funk is clearly not the same sort of civic leader as McClendon, Ward, & Nichols, which is why the city is being very cautious about his Bricktown Village proposal. By all reports, the mayor and city manager feel like Funk has screwed them over in past dealings.

I understand that Funk is in business to make a profit but the other men mentioned have done pretty darn well while also looking after the interests of the community.

I think that's the same street where they are currently located... just a new building opening up.

9. Default Re: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    I'm very glad to see that debate wasn't being discouraged.
    I just wanted us as a City,to think as we have done with the MAPS project.
    I'm all fine with postive thinking and striving, for the future but I seen to many dumb projects let loose not only community wise,but corporately.
    I dunno where the "GM experience" mention above by HotRod came from.
    I was a Marine for 20 years,retired as a E9.
    GM, I wasn't trying to offend you. I just thought that perhaps you were bitter due to GM retiring their plant and that your name has GM in it. I thought it could perhaps "explain" why you had your POV, since I could probably understand being a little mad if you lost your job as such.

I do stand corrected and accept your information. However, please offer some constructive criticism/ideas to spur debate or improve upon the badness, that way - everyone knows you aren't JUST picking on OKC. There's lots of people who stand-up for OKC now, so they/we dont take to kind to unnecessary shots.

Thanks, John.

I listened to Richard Mize's real estate podcast on newsok.com and he mentioned Express Personnel is merely constructing a new building on their property on the south side of NW Expressway between Council & County Line. Just more needless sprawl.

11. Default Re: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

Funk just doesn't want to drive more than 10 minutes to work.

12. Default Re: Could OKC eventually have the tallest tower in the nation?

The irony of this statement ^ is that Funk also owns a franchise (or two) which have offices in downtown Oklahoma City. So. .... wouldn't it make sense if he had his corporate office downtown?

Im not saying he shouldn't have the majority of his operations in NW, but he should have the top jobs downtown - where the visibility exists, where the banks are, and where governance and critical mass is; Heck, I'd even settle for him being in the NW Business District over far NW Oklahoma County. ..

Downtown or the NW BD aint that much of a commute.

I agree with what you are saying but if his Bricktown project comes to fruition the way the plans look on paper it could very well change the face of downtown in a very positive way. I definitely don't agree with everything he does for sure (e.g. the loss of the women's tennis tournament due to his ego) but he has done some positive things.

Thread Information