Widgets Magazine

Thread: CBA in Lawton

Default CBA in Lawton

Looks like the Cavalry will announce on Thurs they will be playing in Lawton. The AP article I saw about this did not note where the team will play. Both possible Lawton venues are hardly even adequate for even the CBA IMO.

Default Re: CBA in Lawton

Here is the article...

CBA team will play in Lawton
    July 9, 2007 10:55 PM CDT
    Associated Press - July 9, 2007 10:05 PM ET

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The owner of a Continental Basketball Association team has changed its name and plans to move to Lawton to play its 2007-2008 schedule.

Officials with the Oklahoma Cavalry plan to announce the changes at a news conference on Thursday in Lawton.

Attempts by The Associated Press to contact team owner Baron Hopgood and general manager Brian Hopgood weren't immediately successful.

The team didn't note at what venue the Cavalry might play in Lawton.

The city of about 93,000 is home to NCAA Division Two Cameron University and three large high schools.

The Great Plains Coliseum has been a frequent home to high school basketball tournaments.

Team officials originally planned for the franchise to play in Oklahoma City, but officials there opposed the move, saying a CBA team wasn't in the city's best interest.

3. Default Re: CBA in Lawton

Congratulations to Lawton, this will certainly add to the 'things to do in Lawton' category - which is quite small for now. Having a team will hopefully start a little renaissance there so that will benefit the state as a whole.

I'd like Lawton to really step-up to the plate and anchor the Lawton-Wichita Falls Metro area, having a pro team will certainly help.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I think this is a bigger plus for Lawton than Hopgood. I also don't see Lawton being a permanent home for this team. Think about it. Wanting to have a team in OKC and then having to settle for Lawton. On top of that Lawton doesn't even have an arena larger than 2500 seats. Cameron seats 1800 and I believe Great Plains Coliseum only seats possibly 2500. They aren't going to Lawton because they want to do so. They have to go to Lawton IMO. Hopgood wants to be in OKC and we all know that won't work. Now Hopgood is stuck with a team in a place that can barely pass for being called a "city."

I noticed on KSWO's sports clips the Cavalry will be playing at Great Plains Coliseum. The clip itself is pretty funny!! There were only about three press guys in the audience. Mayor Purcell said expects many sellouts. Well, I hope so in an arena of only 2,500.

KSWO

Either way it's still good times for the Oklahoma economy.

Thread Information