Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Default New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Thu July 5, 2007
    Completion of first phase of project commemorated

By The Associated Press
    State and local officials on Thursday commemorated completion of the first phase in construction of the new Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway in Oklahoma City.

The first in a series of projects consists of three bridges five blocks south of the existing expressway. The cost of the first phase is $6.8 million.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials estimate the entire project will cost $557 million. It will stretch 4 1/2 miles, with 10 lanes of interstate and a boulevard through downtown Oklahoma City that will be four to six lanes.

"This project is monumental for the people of Oklahoma. It will increase safety for Oklahomans and those traveling through our state," said Gov. Brad Henry.

U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin said the project, the most expensive ever undertaken in Oklahoma, has national significance because I-40 is a main east-west corridor across the country.

Mayor Mick Cornett said completion of the first phase permits the city to consider canal and river projects that would otherwise not be possible.

Gary Ridley, state highway director, said Sen. Jim Inhofe was instrumental in getting federal funding for the project when he was chairman of the Senate committee that handles transportation issues.

"This project is a critical necessity for the state and the southwestern United States and without the help of our congressional delegation, it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get as far as we are," Ridley said.

Originally built in 1965, the expressway carries 120,000 vehicles a day, almost 50,000 more than the intended capacity of 72,000.

The new highway, expected to be open to traffic in 2012, will carry up to 173,000 vehicles a day.

Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Phase I of effort to reroute I-40 complete
    by Brian Brus
    The Journal Record
    7/6/2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – The relocation of the Interstate 40 crosstown through downtown Oklahoma has reached the end of its first phase, state officials said Thursday at a ceremony near the Oklahoma River.

Two bridges for the new I-40 crossing the river near Lincoln Boulevard and a third railroad bridge relocation are expected to be completed within days, Department of Transportation spokesman David Meuser said.

The scheduled date to mark the project’s end was delayed because of rain, but the ceremony was held as planned.

The first phase cost about $6.8 million, paid for by the federal government, Meuser said.

By the time the new I-40 is ready to open in 2012, the overall price tag is expected to reach $557 million, an inflation-adjusted estimate.

Meuser said the project will be divided into about 20 phases similar to the first, which began a year and a half ago.

The event at the Chesapeake Boathouse pavilion south of downtown drew representatives from the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, City Hall and the Transportation Department.

The massive project has been in the works for more than a decade. The first hint that I-40 might someday be shifted away from downtown came in a short newspaper article in 1994 that said the state Transportation Commission was looking for a long-term solution to the interstate’s bridge maintenance problems.

After several years of discussion, officials decided to divert about four miles of the interstate beginning just east of May Avenue and connecting again at the Interstate 235 interchange, running nearly parallel to the Oklahoma River.

In 1998, the state Transportation Department counted 43 commercial and nonprofit properties and 29 residential properties that would need to be acquired to fully clear the project area for construction and necessary right-of-way space.

Once the crosstown is finished, it will leave behind a big opportunity to design and develop a new main street in the heart of Oklahoma City, and to redevelop underused properties.

The task has been tagged by city government and chamber officials as “Core to Shore.” In June, the Oklahoma City Council approved a $387,000 contract Tuesday for a study to determine the best use of the 590 acres involved.

City Hall has held several community feedback meetings on the issue.

3. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

The feedback forums on newsok are an interesting read.

4. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

2012 though!!!! Honestly, what a crock. We were already supposed to be driving on the thing and now were only done with phase 1.

At least progres IS being made though. I curse that crappy road every day as I drive down it, so I can't wait!!!

5. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Supposedly, the highway is will no longer be very far below grade. I heard the soil won't support it.

I'd rather it not be in a deep hole as it would totally kill any views of downtown.

7. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

If you could just see the tall buildings it would be OK. The existing crosstown has a view of downtown...and it is not a good one.

8. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

i didnt know it was supposed to be below grade the whole way, it said a combination of at grade and semi depressed. And i didnt know were already supposed to be driving on it, the projected finish date at first was 2010 and then they extended it to 2012 and raised the estimated price.

I think the earliest it had ever been planned to be finished was fall of 2009. I have a friend at ODOT and he says they've almost got all the property the footprint of the freeway needs bought out. Once that happens, they'll start major clearing of the new route and things will really take shape fast. I'm betting the longest and hardest parts will be building the new connectors from the existing I-40 to the new alignment and building exits onto the new street that will go downtown.

And oh, they're still VERY worried about the Crosstown. It's not far from a "collapse at any time" type situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JWil View Post
    And oh, they're still VERY worried about the Crosstown. It's not far from a "collapse at any time" type situation.
    If they were actually worried about this, they could very easily reroute semi traffic onto I-240.

-- but they're not.

This is simply a strategy of impressing upon the public the "urgency" of paying these highway contractors millions upon millions of dollars.

11. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Well, somebody's got to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Well, somebody's got to build it.
    Not really.. and especially not along the route which has been chosen. That's all moot at this point of course.

My point is that this urgency and this gnashing of teeth about the decrepit condition of the crosstown is completely bogus. If safety was truly an issue, as I said, the heaviest traffic could easily be rerouted.

I can clearly see the need to remove the crosstown for development purposes. I just grow tired of our leaders thinking they have to justify their reasons for development by telling lies.

13. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

Tom Elmore? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Tom Elmore? Is that you?
    No, but I do have the honor of being on his listserv

I agree with Mid on this one. If it is "urgent" as they claim, there are many things they can do to remedy the situation quickly.

16. Default Re: New crosstown expressway completes first phase

It took them almost 20 years to get I-44 from I-40 to 39th street.

They had the bridge pylons in place in 1965 and didn't get the road build till the 70's. All the motorcycle people were up set, because they had made trails through there and wouldn't have a place to ride, so the made the trails on the southeast corner at I-40.

When is Phase 2 supposed to start on the new I-40. It sure seems to be moving slow, especially since Phase 1 was such a small phase.

I'm sure much of the posturing about the state of the current crosstown is due to the fact the new stretch isn't completely funded as of yet.

I had my issues with all this too but that's water under the bridge at this point and I'm anxious for them to get the new expressway completed and the old one demolished.

At the very least, it will provide a unique opportunity to develop a huge area immediately adjacent to the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    At the very least, it will provide a unique opportunity to develop a huge area immediately adjacent to the CBD.
    Does anyone wonder whether the contractors and politicians who pushed this own huge stakes in the property in the core to shore zone?

It would indeed be something which would be interesting to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Does anyone wonder whether the contractors and politicians who pushed this own huge stakes in the property in the core to shore zone?

It would indeed be something which would be interesting to check out.
    Interesting thought...

Here's an editorial that was in the DOK. I agree:

The collapse of a bridge on a heavily used highway in Minneapolis has placed renewed attention on the elevated stretch of Interstate 40 here in Oklahoma City. The road is washboard rough on the surface, as anyone who's driven it will attest, and the deteriorating underside is enough to give you the willies.

And motorists will have to use it at least another five years while construction continues on a new stretch of I-40 that will pass through Oklahoma City several blocks to the south. If we're lucky, it'll only be five years before we can bid good riddance to the current Crosstown Expressway. That may be wishful thinking.

It originally was hoped the new I-40 Crosstown would be completed by the end of 2008. That's been pushed back to 2012. Two years ago, the price was $360 million for the 4-mile stretch of 10-lane highway, and a downtown boulevard where I-40 now stands. That has ballooned to $557 million and is expected to climb more.

Last month, officials gathered to celebrate completion of two five-lane interstate bridges and a railroad bridge, the first phase of a work project that began in November 2005. Gov. Brad Henry used the occasion to "reaffirm the commitment of the state today to do whatever it takes to make sure this project gets completed.” Henry's spokesman said that includes providing funds if federal money comes up short.

Maybe it's time for the state to stop waiting to see what the federal government provides. About $469 million in federal funds has been secured for the project, thanks to work done by our congressional delegation through the years.

Former 5th District Rep. Ernest Istook steered millions toward the project as a member of the House Appropriations Committee. He also stressed the need for the state to share in some of the costs, saying the federal government typically picked up about two-thirds of the tab for interstate projects. In an Oklahoman op-ed article in August 2005, Istook wrote that no state funds had been promised or provided. "Even the city of Oklahoma City has outdone the state, recently committing $4.5 million for utility relocation,” he wrote.

The Legislature made transportation a priority during the 2005 and 2006 sessions, designating funds for road and bridge upkeep and replacement. But no project in Oklahoma is more pressing than replacing the I-40 Crosstown, which was built to handle 78,000 vehicles per day and now handles about 120,000. Further delays in completing the new highway only increase the chances of something disastrous happening on the present road.

The governor should set out looking for a way to help get the work done sooner rather than later.

THE collapse of a bridge on a heavily used highway in Minneapolis has placed renewed attention on the elevated stretch of Interstate 40 here in Oklahoma City. The road is washboard rough on the surface, as anyone who's driven it will attest, and the deteriorating underside is enough to give you the willies.

And motorists will have to use it at least another five years while construction continues on a new stretch of I-40 that will pass through Oklahoma City several blocks to the south. If we're lucky, it'll only be five years before we can bid good riddance to the current Crosstown Expressway. That may be wishful thinking.

It originally was hoped the new I-40 Crosstown would be completed by the end of 2008. That's been pushed back to 2012. Two years ago, the price was $360 million for the 4-mile stretch of 10-lane highway, and a downtown boulevard where I-40 now stands. That has ballooned to $557 million and is expected to climb more.

Last month, officials gathered to celebrate completion of two five-lane interstate bridges and a railroad bridge, the first phase of a work project that began in November 2005. Gov. Brad Henry used the occasion to "reaffirm the commitment of the state today to do whatever it takes to make sure this project gets completed.” Henry's spokesman said that includes providing funds if federal money comes up short.

Maybe it's time for the state to stop waiting to see what the federal government provides. About $469 million in federal funds has been secured for the project, thanks to work done by our congressional delegation through the years.

Former 5th District Rep. Ernest Istook steered millions toward the project as a member of the House Appropriations Committee. He also stressed the need for the state to share in some of the costs, saying the federal government typically picked up about two-thirds of the tab for interstate projects. In an Oklahoman op-ed article in August 2005, Istook wrote that no state funds had been promised or provided. "Even the city of Oklahoma City has outdone the state, recently committing $4.5 million for utility relocation,” he wrote.

The Legislature made transportation a priority during the 2005 and 2006 sessions, designating funds for road and bridge upkeep and replacement. But no project in Oklahoma is more pressing than replacing the I-40 Crosstown, which was built to handle 78,000 vehicles per day and now handles about 120,000. Further delays in completing the new highway only increase the chances of something disastrous happening on the present road.

The governor should set out looking for a way to help get the work done sooner rather than later.

Your ThoughtsMore Stories By The Oklahoman Editorial
    Last edited by betts; 08-12-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: removing extraneous data

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Interesting thought...
    Actually, I spoke with Elmore regarding whether the politicians and big money men who have been pushing this project own land adjacent to it... and they do.. and in many cases, they have for long before the project was announced to the public.

Just another fine example of the fleecing of Oklahoma City!

Regardless, the highway would need to be majorly repaired or replaced anyway. And there's no way to widen it, which it desperately needs, without a huge expense. Moving it gives us an opportunity to develop blighted land and improve our downtown, as well as get rid of an elevated highway that will need repairs and surveillance much more than a ground level road. I don't really care if anyone makes money off of it, as I will enjoy the improved appearance of our city and safety of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Regardless, the highway would need to be majorly repaired or replaced anyway. And there's no way to widen it, which it desperately needs, without a huge expense. Moving it gives us an opportunity to develop blighted land and improve our downtown, as well as get rid of an elevated highway that will need repairs and surveillance much more than a ground level road. I don't really care if anyone makes money off of it, as I will enjoy the improved appearance of our city and safety of the road.
    It'll probably really tick you off to know that Jim Brewer owns some of the property adjoining the proposed new I-40.

At any rate, there are still all kinds of questions as to the suitability of the land chosen for road-building due to soil instability, flooding, etc.

This is anything but a done deal. That they had a press conference for one completed bridge (wow) is hilarious in and of itself. Who freakin' cares about one bridge?

Is this worth the billion dollars it'll cost?

I agree Midtowner, this is far but over. The PR stunt was a HUGE joke and IMO hurt any politician more than it will help (including Mick).

Thread Information