Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 96 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

People keep mentioning two things when it comes to Crossroads: Gold Mine and Update. That seems to be the key issue; it hasn't been updated since there was a Gold Mine video arcade there in the mid to late '70s. It seems obvious that the owners won't do anything and it will eventually be leveled in the next ten years.

2. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

It is crazy that there's not one bookstore south of NW Expressway.

You've got Full Circle, Borders, Barnes & Noble x2, and Books-a-Million on the north side, and that's really all just the NW side.

sure there are book stores south of nw expressway... in norman. :P -M

4. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    It truly does need a major overhaul. You are right about the tile. When Quail put in the off white tile to replace all that brown crap, and put in more skylights, it helped brighten the place so much. It was a major improvement.
    Crossroads also needs to get rid of all the gang bangers that scare the honest shoppers. And, do not give me that "they can sue them" crap. Crossroads is private property. They reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

5. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

The last time I went to crossroads mall, which was over the summer, there was some sort of rap competition going on in the middle of the mall. It was the biggest bunch of racket I've ever heard, and people were hooting and holaring in the middle of the mall like it was a concert. I then suddenly recalled why I don't set foot in that place and got the hell out. If the mall promotes that kind of activity then the managment has settled with being a 3rd rate shopping mall that upper-class shoppers with money wont ever set foot in.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Crossroads also needs to get rid of all the gang bangers that scare the honest shoppers. And, do not give me that "they can sue them" crap. Crossroads is private property. They reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
    I see just as many thugs at Penn Square...Place to be for the young, hip and unemployed to wear their hats sideways

Gold Mine video arcade there in the mid to late '70s
    Crossroads Mall opened in 1974 with the "LeMans Speedway" arcade and bumpercar rink. The bumpercars shut down in the late 70's early 80's, and in fact the whole arcade was shuttered for a time, but then the space was remodeled and reopened as the LeMans once again in its present form several years ago, with the bumpercar area gone and replaced with more plain floor/game space.

I don't remember the Gold Mine arcade, or any other arcade being in Crossroads...

If I were a gambler, I'd say Heritage Park would be bulldozed before Crossroads...but ten years is too far down the road to predict anything...imho.

-SoonerDave

8. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I see just as many thugs at Penn Square...Place to be for the young, hip and unemployed to wear their hats sideways
    You must be full of yourself then. I see very few gang bangers at Penn Square and nearly nothing but gang bangers at Crossroads. Even a lot of the old time merchants will agree with me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    God, speaking of Barnes and Noble - I would be forever grateful if a bookstore (prefer Borders) would move South. Crossroads would be great (in the parking lot) or north of TAFB by the new Target and Lowes.

I guess they figure nobody reads on the southside!
    Amen to that! The good news is - from what I understand, there will be a large national bookstore chain with a location in the new Midwest City SE 29th Street development. Since that area is 3 blocks from my house, I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    True Dat

11. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

I have said this before and will again. The best thing to do is to blow Crossroads sky high (after closing it, of course) and build a prison. Most of the "shoppers" (more like Christmas shopLIFTERS) would feel right at home.

The mall is a dump now anyway. And, by the way. Before you say "don't shop there then" I do not. I shop at Quail mostly... Very few gang bangers.

12. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Anderson subscribes to the theory of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" (favorite line from Myth Busters).

I DO shop at Cross Roads Mall often and only someone very ignorant would describe it as "nothing but gang bangers."

Anderson reminds me of the little old lady that is on every block on her porch in her rocking chair with 50 cats and swears at all the kids as they walk by and proclaims them ALL to be hoodlums and vagrants!

Yes, many kids these days have long hair, baggy clothes and hang out in groups. That doesn't make them gang bangers.

"Blowing up Cross Roads" is the most idiotic thing I have heard. It is in a good location. It simply suffers from management/owner neglect. An infusion of serious remodeling dolllars, marketing and new blood tenants is what is needed - or, you know, that stellar prison idea works too

13. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Certain people tend to exaggerate the state that Crossroads is in.

I see very few gang bangers at Penn Square and nearly nothing but gang bangers at Crossroads. Even a lot of the old time merchants will agree with me on that one.

14. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Anderson subscribes to the theory of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" (favorite line from Myth Busters).

I DO shop at Cross Roads Mall often and only someone very ignorant would describe it as "nothing but gang bangers."

Anderson reminds me of the little old lady that is on every block on her porch in her rocking chair with 50 cats and swears at all the kids as they walk by and proclaims them ALL to be hoodlums and vagrants!

Yes, many kids these days have long hair, baggy clothes and hang out in groups. That doesn't make them gang bangers.

"Blowing up Cross Roads" is the most idiotic thing I have heard. It is in a good location. It simply suffers from management/owner neglect. An infusion of serious remodeling dolllars, marketing and new blood tenants is what is needed - or, you know, that stellar prison idea works too
    LISTEN BAILJUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORKED AT THAT CRAP HOLE FOR YEARS AND CAN TELL YOU I AM NOT, REPEAT NOT IGNORANT. THERE ARE NEARLY NOTHING, REPEAT, NOTHING BUT GANG BANGERS THERE. THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL BE CONVINCED IS WHEN ONE OF THOSE CRIMINALS RIDDLES YOUR CAR WITH THEIR AK47. JUST DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME. YOU WILL GET AN "I TOLD YOU SO." WHY NOT JUST ACCEPT THE FACT I KNOW THAT MALL AND END IT. I AM NOT STUPID LIKE YOU PEOPLE THINK I AM.

15. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

I set them up and Anderson bowls them down.

Well, ANDERSON at least you are VERY predictable. I should never have questioned a seasoned mall walker such as yourself!

i laughed until i cried. seriously. this thread delivers. -M

mranderson,

I don't know what your problem is, but your hysterical misrepresentation of Crossroads does not one positive thing for your own credibility or the value of the discussion in this thread. But it is an archetypal demonstration of the perception problem Crossroads has to overcome. People like you make a bad situation worse.

You know the irony of this discussion? Take a guess at the location of what I recall as one of if not the first gang-bang shooting at a mall -- Crossroads, right Mr. Anderson? Nope -- precious, hip, too-cool-for-the-room Penn Square.

If you think gang-bangers aren't everywhere, not just where you're predisposed to believe they are, you're fooling yourself. And here's a clue - not every non-caucasian kid who wears a ballcap sideways is a gangbanger.

Maybe you, or someone close to you, was a vicitim of some sort at Crossroads; it would surely taint anyone's opinion of an area and explain your myopia about it. That's understandable; otherwsie, the hysterical nonsense about the AK-47's, quite frankly, makes you look foolish.

This isn't to say Crossroads doesn't have its problems, and gangbangers among them. But this notion of "blowing it up and building a prison" is idiotic.

-SoonerDave

mranderson...was just at crossroads on sunday and I didn't see anyone with ak47's...True there are more lower income shoppers there than at Penn and Quail, but I guarantee you there are just as many young punks hanging out at the nicer malls

As for Crossroads...Not sure if it's an age thing, but just because there are young black and hispanic guys walking by you doesn't necessarily mean they are thugs or gang members

My guess is they live around the mall and do their shopping there since it's close...Crazy notion I know

19. Thumbs down Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

On the subject of bookstores and the lack thereof in the south metro, I've noticed that they turned the old Just For Feet store on Memorial into a Books A Million, but they have yet to lease the same empty store in Norman. Of course, there is Borders and B & N right behind that area, but I see it as good competition. I think the national chains are looking at the south OKC total population instead of the entire south metro which includes Moore(50,000+) and Norman(110,000+). Cleveland County is the fastest growing in the state in terms of real population growth and a lot of the income increases are coming out of the south metro area. I mean, how can we be building high-end executive homes around here with people buying them up like there's no tomorrow, but we can't seem to land a decent bookstore?? Doesn't make sense. If my memory serves me correctly, the area of south OKC which encompasses the 73170 zip code is the second wealthiest in the state. I think the OKC Chamber should take care of marketing this area and we should just do away with the south chamber. Eventually, the south metro will be known as the most booming area of OKC.

20. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    On the subject of bookstores and the lack thereof in the south metro, I've noticed that they turned the old Just For Feet store on Memorial into a Books A Million, but they have yet to lease the same empty store in Norman. Of course, there is Borders and B & N right behind that area, but I see it as good competition.

True. Unfortunately the Books-a-Million doesn't compete very well with B&N. The prices seem comprable and the atmosphere pretty close with B-a-M less ornate, but it has the coffee shop.

I like to patronize Books-a-Million. Help out the underdog. Wouldn't want Barnes & Noble to become the Walmart of bookstores.

21. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

This is off topic a bit.. but I'm not seeing that 73170 is the second wealthiest in the state .. where are you finding those stats?

I was curious about the bookstores.. I never knew there weren't any in the area. The incomes are very close but there are some differences but really not that many.

For instance, zip code 73034 in Edmond has a median home value of $167,860.00 and 30% of the population has a 4 year college degree and 18% have a graduate degree. Elementary test scores 93% Math, 91% Reading.

Compared to 73170 in Moore has a median home value of $132,560.00 with 20% having a 4 year college degree and 9% have a graduate degree.
    Elementary test scores 84% Math, 88% Reading.

So, maybe in doing the demographic search they looked at other things than just the income?

I'm finding the way they track it confusing anyway... for instance, more high income earners file detailed tax returns with many, many deductibles and business expenses (write offs) ... so the net income is reflected as much lower than the income actually is.. do they track the gross or net?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

22. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

The median income figures have been stated a few times on this board in the past. I may be mistaken as far as the rank of 73170. I believe it is the third wealthiest behind the one you stated in Edmond and, of course, Nichols Hills.

karried.....Think it's just income not wealth

Published: August 21, 2005 12:30 am

Committee hears presentation on Moore vs. Norman's
    demographics

The Norman Transcript
    By Carol Cole
    Transcript Staff Writer

Moore has outstripped Norman in many of the key demographics retailers want
    when they consider where to locate, members of the Norman Citizens Tax Increment
    Finance Committee heard last week.

Fleske quoted numbers from a 2004 database used by commercial real estate industry, found
    on STDBOnline.com, which factors U.S. Census and other data.
    "Moore is not just Moore. It is south Oklahoma City and even many parts north Norman.
    The density of development that's occurring up north is a lot higher than it is here," Fleske
    said.

And Fleske pointed at that Moore's zip code 73170 off SH 37 is the highest income per capita
    zip code in the Oklahoma City metro, higher than Nichols Hills and Gaillardia.

A common misconception, perpetuated in that article, is that 73170 is a "Moore" zip code, and that's flatly wrong. It also includes a large portion of SW Oklahoma City. I have corrected people at mail order houses and other outlets that incorrectly assume the 73170 is a Moore zip code.

The Oklahoman ran a piece in their business section just a few years ago giving considerable details regarding this specific part of south Oklahoma City, highlighting the income per capita and some of the misconceptions that still exist.

As even some of the responses in this thread show, there's a long, uphill battle in overcoming multiple years of misunderstood or improperly assumed information about SW Okahoma City.

-SoonerDave

LISTEN BAILJUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORKED AT THAT CRAP HOLE FOR YEARS AND CAN TELL YOU I AM NOT, REPEAT NOT IGNORANT. THERE ARE NEARLY NOTHING, REPEAT, NOTHING BUT GANG BANGERS THERE. THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL BE CONVINCED IS WHEN ONE OF THOSE CRIMINALS RIDDLES YOUR CAR WITH THEIR AK47. JUST DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME. YOU WILL GET AN "I TOLD YOU SO." WHY NOT JUST ACCEPT THE FACT I KNOW THAT MALL AND END IT. I AM NOT STUPID LIKE YOU PEOPLE THINK I AM.
    Wow. Just wow.

Thread Information