Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

The 'mall circulation route' is just a re-routing of the road that curves around behind the Residence Inn and Best Buy.

Jay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick

By the way, at Crossroads all of the department stores own their own buildings...so that's another issue. Dillards has quite a bit of money wrapped up in their 3 story facility there.
    A retail company owning a store outright has never prevented a store from closing. The only reason I'm making this prediction is because the traffic count is down.

I could very easily seeing Macy's closing the Crossroads Foley's. Just simply because every company trims the fat after a merger. If the Crossroads Foley's is not making a reasonable profit it will close. I don't think they would lose too much business with stores being 15 minutes away at either Sooner or Penn Square.

JcPenney is not doing very well these days. I could see them closing the Crossroads store as well as others as means of restructuring the company.

Dillards would probably be the last to go just because of the money they have tied up in Crossroads.

Interstate construction has nothing do with Crossroads demise. In the retail world if you provide an awesome product, or shopping expierence your customers will go out of there way to get to you.

Besides, I don't remember Quail suffering at all when the Kilpatrick was built. If some of you remember it was a nightmare navigating around the turnpike construction.

Jay Guest

I was just looking at this ODOT map and basically there is no way to keep pole road open. If you have ever drove I-35 northbound and have tried to access I-240 east or west bound you know how backed up that area gets.

ODOT is bringing a feeder ramp that has merging traffic from I-35 north and southbound entering 240 east right before Pole Rd. It would be absoultely stupid to leave Pole Rd. open.

You would have accidents everyday from people trying to change lanes to access Pole Rd and from people that are accessing 240 east from I-35. As well all know people in this city do not know how to merge.

I looked at every possible way to change the routing. As someone else said it looks like Pole Rd. Is a goner.

Jay Guest

Besides this rebuild will give Crossroads increased visibility from the elevated ramps. So as I said before, it's time to remodel.

Patrick Guest

The visiblity it should get should be very similar to Mathis Brothers. You know, Mathis Brothers has no access from either I-40 or I-44, yet it's still the most successful furniture store in OKC. Heck, to get to Mathis Bros. you have to get off at either NW 10th, or Meridian, then come back to Reno and Portland.

See, this is a great example...if people really like the product you offer, they'll come to your business no matter how difficult and out of the way it is. And believe me.....getting to Mathis Bros. from the highway is always a challenge for me. Do you see Mathis Bros. complaining? Nope! In fact, they've only expanded their store over recent years.

Patrick Guest

Looks like Crossroads is going to try to fight this one. I suppose they're entitled to.....but, hey, if Crossroads wins, maybe Mathis Brothers should start complaining that their business is hurting because they don't have an access ramp from either I-4 or I-44. Yeah Right.

-----------
    "Highway project near Crossroads meets opposition

By Ryan McNeill
    The Oklahoman

Lawmakers are complaining about a $130 million plan to redesign the ramp system at the Interstate 35 and Interstate 240 interchange in south Oklahoma City.
    Mall officials fight for interstate exit

Several legislators sent out statements Tuesday saying businesses in the area -- particularly Crossroads Mall -- would suffer under construction planned to begin in 2008 and run at least through 2013.

At issue is a possible plan to close the Pole Road exit, which serves as an entrance to Crossroads Mall, near the interstate junction. The mall hired engineers to study the interchange plan, and state Transportation Department officials will meet with them next week.

"We are definitely willing to meet with the mall and their representative," said Cole Perryman, a spokesman for the Transportation Department.

Environmental approval was just granted for the project and design planning is just starting, Perryman said. "We're kind of at the perfect time for taking input"

The plan seeks to rebuild the interchange from a cloverleaf form into one mirroring the Fort Smith junction on I-35. It's intended to improve traffic flow and increase safety."

Patrick Guest

"Mall officials fight for interstate exit

By Tricia Pemberton
    The Oklahoman

Crossroads Mall officials are worried that the reconstruction of the Interstate 240 interchange with Interstate 35 will significantly reduce traffic to the mall.
    Highway project near Crossroads meets opposition

At issue is the Oklahoma Transportation Department's design that calls for the closing of the Pole Road exit.

"Our surveys show about 40 percent of shoppers come to the mall from that exit. It's really our front door, and we've spent several years developing along that side," said Christy Parks, marketing director for the mall.

Parks said the Transportation Department's original plans included saving the Pole Road exit, but the Federal Highway Administration determined the exit would not be safe so close to the redesigned exit ramps.

The mall hired its own engineering firm, DeShazo Tang, to develop a plan that would either save the Pole Road exit or move it further east toward the railroad tracks. This would keep shoppers from having to go an additional six-tenths of a mile to another exit before doubling back to get to the mall, Parks said.

"We're wanting ODOT to give serious consideration to our proposal. They have indicated that they would look at our proposal, but we want to make sure they do," Parks said.

Craig Moody, public involvement officer for planning and research, said the Transportation Department is considering the mall's plan.

"We are looking at that currently. Our senior staff is going to meet with Crossroads Mall to discuss that plan. I can't say we're going to use that. The Federal Highway Administration has some say about access roads; we are governed by their guidelines," Moody said.

Even if the exit ramp closes, Pole Road would stay open with the bridge tied to the access roads, Moody said.

Transportation officials held their third public hearing last week about the interchange reconstruction, said public information officer Cole Perryman.

"The purpose of the meeting was to finalize our environmental studies of the area, and now we can finalize our roadway design," Perryman said.

If a design is passed by the Federal Highway Administration, right-of-way acquisitions could begin by the end of the year, and construction might start in 2007, Perryman said.

Sen. Debbe Leftwich, D-Oklahoma City, is concerned for the mall and her constituents if the transportation department decides to close Pole Road.

"When you come to the mall from the west side of town, that's the exit you take. If you look at the project, it could damage the hotel business, the movie theater, the Texas Roadhouse restaurant and the new Best Buy. Those businesses haven't been there that long," Leftwich said.

Moody said the Transportation Department developed an alternate plan that would route traffic around the front of businesses on the southwest side of the mall and no plans are under way to acquire any of the businesses.

Leftwich also took issue with the way last week's public hearing was conducted.

"What I witnessed Thursday night, I would never call a public hearing. There was no presentation, no format for public discussion. I am quite concerned about that," Leftwich said.

Perryman said the meeting was conducted in an open-house format with officials available to answer questions and displays set up to show the department's planned road design.

Parks said the mall already lived through 13 months of slower traffic while I-35 was widened.

"Our primary concern is we would be affected forever with the closure of Pole Road," she said. "

Jay Guest

Default oops

delete

Jay Guest

The Federal Highway Administration has some say about access roads; we are governed by their guidelines," Moody said.

I think it's safe to say Pole Rd. will close. This statement alone says who has final say so on the closure. I can tell you right now what that answer will be. As a means of public safety and traffic control Pole Road will close.

The only thing Crossroads will get is better signage that will direct traffic to the Mall. Such as signage on 240 east that directs traffic to take 35 south and exit on SE 66th. The Feds could care less about how a highway will effect local businesses. If that were the case I-40 would not have replaced route 66.

Christi Parks please stop your whining and convince your slum lord company to remodel your mall. Turn your mall into a destination mall. Just like the local competing malls have done. Then you won't have to cry about road construction everytime ODOT comes along to improve your area.

People keep talking about the pole rd. closure due to the danger of merging traffic. What about the ridiculous way the SE 66th exit is designed? The traffic north on 35 must cross the traffic merging from 240 and vice-versa this is the type of situation they want to avoid with Pole Rd. Why then does it exist at 66th and how long before they will be talking about that exit as well. As for the Pole exit they could merely do what any large city would do and make the Pole Rd ramp exit 240 just before the feeder ramps from 35 merge. The Pole exit ramp would simply go under the feeder ramps from 35 still providing an exit at Pole from 240 eastbound. A similar thing could be done at 66th also. Someone just needs to think outside the box.

Jay Guest

Overall the situation with the interstates is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is Crossroads Management is just using the construction issue an excuse.

Practically every OKC area mall has access problems. Every mall except Crossroads has found a creative way to work around thier traffic problems. (Most of them have done so without taxpayer expense.)

Crossroads refuses to see the true issues that are effecting thier traffic slump. The true issues are as plain as day to everyone who shops there. It's also clear those who have chosen to take thier business elsewhere.

Malls were originally created as destination shopping centers. Quail, Penn, and Sooner have established that and continue to operate with that mentality.

I was in OKC last week and my sister in law insisted she needed to visit a Dillard's before leaving the OKC area. The closest Dillards was in Crossroads Mall, so after fighting my with inner thought (whether to go to Crossroads or not) I had to decide to make a stop there. We were in a bit of a hurry and did not have time to go to Penn or Quail.

I was surprised as to how many people were actually inside Crossroads. I mean, there was not packed, but there were more people than I thought there would be.

We all should boycott Crossroads. Like someone said earlier, the other OKC malls also have access problems and they are finding ways around it.

Patrick Guest

You have to remember, Crossroads is the only mall on the southside, so that explains all of the people. I still don't understand why the mall with the best location (at the crossroads of two major interstates) is having problems. It's all mismanagement.

I don't want to hear anymore about how they're gonig to have access problems. As I've already said.....Mathis Brothers has no access from either interstate bordering it, yet they still manage to be one of the top selling furniture stores in the nation....yup, that's right, the nation!

Jay Guest

To go to Mathis Brothers you have to come from the west. If you come from the east you have to pass the store and make a u turn in front of Bob Mills.

The Mathis Brothers have asked the city for a turn lane in front of there store but, the city refused to do so. What did they do? They adjusted. Instead of crying to the media they put plenty of signage around the immediate area to guide customers thier way.

Not to mention they provide an awesome product and service. People drive from miles around to shop in thier store. Every weekend the place is packed and the loading area is backed up several cars deep.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OklaCity_75
    To go to Mathis Brothers you have to come from the west. If you come from the east you have to pass the store and make a u turn in front of Bob Mills.

The Mathis Brothers have asked the city for a turn lane in front of there store but, the city refused to do so. What did they do? They adjusted. Instead of crying to the media they put plenty of signage around the immediate area to guide customers thier way.

Not to mention they provide an awesome product and service. People drive from miles around to shop in thier store. Every weekend the place is packed and the loading area is backed up several cars deep.

Just goes to show you that access to your store doesn't really make a difference if you have a decent product to offer with quality service to back it up.

Keith Guest

I went to Crossroads Mall this morning at around 11 this morning, and I thought the mall had not opened yet. There were very few cars in the lot, and then, when I went inside, it was like a ghost town. There was hardly anybody there.

At least I know that I can count on getting a good parking spot when I go to Crossroads.

17. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

That is very SAD and EMBARRASSING!!!

18. Default Is Crossroads Dying Away?

I am just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the future of Crossroads Mall. I went in there last week and frankly felt unsafe the whole time I was in there. From the outside, the mall looks not too different from Quail Springs, but once you go in, it is the polar opposite. An increasing number of stores are no-namers and the overall appearance is trashy. It easily could be considered "the ghetto mall". The only store that remotely is targeted to the college aged audience is American Eagle. I've even heard JC Penney is possibly looking to relocate to a freestanding store at Riverwalk in Moore. I'm not quite sure why this is since the location is perfect: it's the closest mall to the wealthiest zip code in Oklahoma and is at the intersection of 2 major interstates. Although there are some lackluster areas around Crossroads, the same could be said for Penn Square. Personally I give the mall 5 years before it is gone.

So my question to you is: Is Crossroads dying away, and what can be done to fix it if possible?

Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Crossroads, as ineptly managed as it is, is a gold mine compared to the pepetually-failing Heritage Park Mall. If Heritage Park can persist in what appears to be an ongoing vegetative state, with only one anchor tenant, a Chik-fil-A, and a handful of no-names, then surely Crossroads can endure.

I personally think your "ghetto" description is overboard. The mall's biggest problem is its age, (32 years if memory serves), and virtually nothing has been done to enhance its image short of a minor remodel about a decade ago. It still looks like a mall from 1974 with its concrete floors and absentee design.

As I understand it, the mall started it's fall into disarray back in the mid 80's, when the then co-owners of the mall (whom were supposedly at perptual odds with each other) would not settle on a long-term vision for the site. As a result, nothing happened, and neither side would budge due to stubbornness, indifference, or maybe both. And, as I said, that's all third party info. May be urban legend.

With three anchor tenants and some decent core shops, Crossroads' present problems (aside from its lack of currency) are a) the area around it, and b) the gang crowd that area attracts. They've tried to mount a bit of an "offensive" to chase the teenagers out, but the shooting from a few weeks ago is horrible long-term publicity. They can't do too much about the deteriorating area around the site, unfortunately.

Crossroads needs an overhaul inside and out, and I just don't know if the present ownership is interested in spending the money on it. When it opened, it was a bit of a grand spectacle. Here's hoping the owners don't just let it disintegrate into irrelevance.

-SoonerDave

20. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal
    I am just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the future of Crossroads Mall. I went in there last week and frankly felt unsafe the whole time I was in there. From the outside, the mall looks not too different from Quail Springs, but once you go in, it is the polar opposite. An increasing number of stores are no-namers and the overall appearance is trashy. It easily could be considered "the ghetto mall". The only store that remotely is targeted to the college aged audience is American Eagle. I've even heard JC Penney is possibly looking to relocate to a freestanding store at Riverwalk in Moore. I'm not quite sure why this is since the location is perfect: it's the closest mall to the wealthiest zip code in Oklahoma and is at the intersection of 2 major interstates. Although there are some lackluster areas around Crossroads, the same could be said for Penn Square. Personally I give the mall 5 years before it is gone.

So my question to you is: Is Crossroads dying away, and what can be done to fix it if possible?
    What is the weathiest zip code in Oklahoma!?!? I would have figured it was Nichols Hills which is closer to Penn..

21. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

I believe the reference is to 73170 which I last heard was the THIRD wealthiest in the state and encompasses Moore and far south OKC. As for whether or not Crossroads is dying, I think the threat is there considering the fact that the fourth largest in the nation and much more upscale mall is being planned for Norman off I-35. I really believe that the Mills Corporation should look at the Crossroads area for one of their outlet(Grapevine Mills-type)malls to replace Crossroads. I think it would be a HUGE success given the fact that OKC lacks anything like it.

The 73170 zip code, and more specifically the area more generally in the NW region of that zipcode, represents the highest income demographic in all of central Oklahoma - higher than Edmond, Nichols Hills, lots of other areas that most people "think" are the high-dollar areas.

I don't think Crossroads is going away, but it needs help. The outlet-mall concept might work, but if you've gone by Gainesville lately you realize that many of them aren't "outlets" at all anymore, and no longer have the price appeal that made them popular to begin with.

I haven't heard anything about some super-mega-mall in Norman. Can you give any more details? The folks at Sooner Mall probably would like to know about it...

The sad thing right now for near SW and SE OKC is that there is a gold mine of new commercial opportunity, but MWC, Moore, and even Norman are grabbing it while OKC is sitting on it hands.

When I griped to someone about there being no Barnes and Noble in SW OKC, I was told that part of the reason is that those areas are offering tax incentives OKC won't. It's almost like they're scared for SW OKC to be successful. I really resent the heck out of it, too. There's a marvelous spot for a nice B & N in that new 240 Penn Plaza, or even around I-240 and Walker, heck you could plow down part of that nasty ol Southern Hills Shopping Center and put up a *great* looking B&N from scratch.

Anyway, I rant on. But the SW part of OKC is vastly underappreciated. Heck, we can't even get people to believe we can read down here south of Reno, so we can't even get a darned bookstore...

-SoonerDave

23. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

At this point, the Norman mega-shopping complex is consisting of a SuperTarget that will most likely open in November. It is NOT going to be a closed in mall and word is that Sooner Mall actually is looking forward to the addition. The Norman city council just recently approved a Tax Increment Finance District for the two miles along I-35 between Robinson and Tecumseh Rds. Missouri hotel developer John Q. Hammons signed a letter of intent last month to build a $50 million, 10-story, 240-room Embassy Suites Hotel and 65,000-square foot conference center on the site if the TIF was approved. It was approved 2 weeks ago.

According to the Norman economic development coalition website, the eventual plans consist of the following:

Three major components included in the TIF project plan are:

A major retail development within the southern portion of the project area;

A lifestyle center, which includes a large portion of the southern half of the project area. "The vision for the lifestyle center includes the high-end retail development and key entertainment components, including a theater, anchored by Legacy Park and a hotel-conference center complex. Legacy Park is envisioned as an active park with a lake, public art and open spaces surrounded by destination restaurants and boutique shops," reads the plan.

Major economic development, office and mixed-use development in the northern portion of the project area, which would focus on creating quality job opportunities in high-tech, financial intellectual property and administrative businesses.

The nice thing about this is that the University of Oklahoma Foundation has some extremely strict building guidelines. The SuperTarget already has a significant amount of brick and is in the University building "Cherokee Gothic" style.

I second the comment about not having a book store. 73170 must be one of the wealthiest zips (along with many other areas booming in the south metro)because we are expected to afford gas to drive all over the city to shop!

25. Default Re: Is Crossroads Dying Away?

go here for wealthy zip codes.

http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/OKLAHOMA.html

Thread Information