Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 96 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

hmmmmm, jails and prisons are overcrowded in many places in state and in metro area, a big space is getting emptier and emptier, some say lots of law enforcement end up there regularly anyhow ... hmmm, Crossroads Correctional Center ... CCC aka The Cube ... (nah, couldn't happen ...)

2. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    anderson, you might want to call up crossroads mall manager jim swenson and correct him of his factual error since you know more about the mall's business than he does. while many have seen the handwriting on the wall for the past few months, penney's still hasn't made an official announcement. -M
    I read the article when it appeared, regardless of what YOU think the man said.

"We have not officially been told by J.C. Penney's that it is closing. We've just heard it through J.C. Penney's employees,” Swenson said.

"Until they give us official notification, we're just kind of hanging until then.”

There is really no other way to read the statement that says "We have not officially been told by JC Penney's" is there mra?

Not much need to dive into a statement that couldn't be more clear...If he had said "No comment" or "It's possible..." then you may be on to something

Any chance you could yahoo or google and post us a link to that article that proves that Swenson's own memory is incorrect?

4. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    I read the article when it appeared, regardless of what YOU think the man said.
    Hmmmm....let's see here. We have a factual quote from mall mgmt, someone actually within the business, saying no official announcement has been made.

And then we have your statement, based on something YOU said YOU saw.

Who has the burden of proof on this one? Oh, I know....it's YOU.

Provide the link of the OFFICIAL announcement that you read a few months back, and you'll have a lot more credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Hmmmm....let's see here. We have a factual quote from mall mgmt, someone actually within the business, saying no official announcement has been made.

And then we have your statement, based on something YOU said YOU saw.

Who has the burden of proof on this one? Oh, I know....it's YOU.

Provide the link of the OFFICIAL announcement that you read a few months back, and you'll have a lot more credibility.
    $20 on an answer similar to this

"I know what I read and it is fact. Back to topic!"

Still one of my fav's mra!!

Keith Guest

This may not make a difference, but I just e-mailed their corporate headquarters and just asked them if they were planning on closing the store at Crossroads Mall. I am suppose to get some type of answer in the next 48 hours.

Patrick Guest

I have a feeling they're going to have a hard time filling that space. I see it possibly never being filled. Or who knows, maybe it will be a new campus for LifeChurch.tv. LOL!

That being said, yeah, the Penn Square Mall resembles the change the company has made over recent years. It's much smaller than the stores at Crossroads and Quail Springs. County records show it's 125,560 square feet, more similar to the stand alone stores.

I think it all comes down to sales per square foot. Sure it was a mall store, and JC Penney may be changing their trend, but I think the decision has more to do with dollars and cents. If the Crossroads store was making good money they wouldn't have closed it. The Crossroads Mall store simply wasn't making any money.

I expect Macy's to close there any day now. I'm really surprised they kept that store open when they announced the switch over from Foley's.

The only malls that are going to survive in today's society are those in wealthy areas and those with good management. The only thing keeping Penn Square afloat is Nichols Hills, and Edmond keeps Quail Springs afloat. But, I've also noticed since Edmond has built their open-air centers, Quail Springs Mall has taken a hit.

Patrick Guest

Store at Penn Square: 125,560 sq feet
    Store at Crossroads: 200,000+ sq feet
    Store at Quail Springs: 154,576 sq feet

9. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

As long as Quail has the AMC movie theatre.. it will be visited... we went last night to see Spiderman 3.. (as did half the state it seemed like!) ... it was packed!

We bought tickets early in the day and came back about 50 min before show time... there was already a line but by the time they let us in the theater, the line was wrapped around the place.. they showed it in 7 theaters.. every 1/2 hour and still, the lines were amazingly long. The food court was jam packed and the entire mall was bustling.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

10. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    "We have not officially been told by J.C. Penney's that it is closing. We've just heard it through J.C. Penney's employees,” Swenson said.

"Until they give us official notification, we're just kind of hanging until then.”

There is really no other way to read the statement that says "We have not officially been told by JC Penney's" is there mra?

Not much need to dive into a statement that couldn't be more clear...If he had said "No comment" or "It's possible..." then you may be on to something

Any chance you could yahoo or google and post us a link to that article that proves that Swenson's own memory is incorrect?
    Many corporatet exceutives have since the beginning of commerce, not released information they knew to be factual. So, when a general manager, especially one of a failing mall that the owners care less about, I tend to wait for the official release. I do not know about you, however, I was raised in buisness by a BUSINESS OWNER, and have learned a lot more than most... Like it or not, THAT is factual!

Many corporatet exceutives have since the beginning of commerce, not released information they knew to be factual. So, when a general manager, especially one of a failing mall that the owners care less about, I tend to wait for the official release. I do not know about you, however, I was raised in buisness by a BUSINESS OWNER, and have learned a lot more than most... Like it or not, THAT is factual!
    My dad was also a business owner....So let's go with your standard age argument then

"I read the article when it appeared, regardless of what YOU think the man said."

Your comeback above doesn't address what several of us have asked...Please post the article you are describing and we will move on

12. Exclamation Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

But you said that it was already announced by JC Penney, and we're asking you to back that up.

This has nothing to do with your supposed background or education. You made a statement contrary to what someone on the inside has said and expect us to take YOUR statement as the factual statement, without any proof.

I honestly couldn't care less if you were raised by a business owner, the Dali Llama or a pack of wolves. You are constantly telling people that your word is gospel, simply because YOU said it and not based on any factual information. Then if/when you are proven wrong, you simply change the subject or deny the proof we've provided.

13. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    My dad was also a business owner....So let's go with your standard age argument then

"I read the article when it appeared, regardless of what YOU think the man said."

Your comeback above doesn't address what several of us have asked...Please post the article you are describing and we will move on
    I do not need to post an article. It is your choice if you believe the truth. You have chosen against it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe View Post
    If I owned Crossroads I would look at redeveloping the mall into a mixed use of residential, shopping and office space. Then lobby the city and other investors to create something like this:

Stapleton - Feels Different

Developers in Denver converted the old Stapleton Airport into a mix use of retail, office space, schools and housing. The same thing could be done as an I-35 corridor project from downtown to Moore.
    And with the BNSF tracks running directly to the east it could have a stop on the future Edmond-downtown OKC-Norman commuter rail. Talk about HUGE potential for a mixed-use transit-oriented development with retail, restaurants, and lots of new housing options from houses to apartments, all connected to the train station.

Commuter rail with Crossroads stop:

15. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Yeah I hate Crossroads, I'm always pissed off when I leave there because of all the idiots. And it's pretty damn sad that cops just have to hang out up there inside the mall.

I am pretty excited about Chickfila moving to Moore, it's a restaurant that is rare in cities and it's awesome that we're now going to be one of the few communities with one that is stand alone. It's really going to prosper here in Moore.

Now all we need is Toys R Us.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    As long as Quail has the AMC movie theatre.. it will be visited... we went last night to see Spiderman 3.. (as did half the state it seemed like!) ... it was packed!

We bought tickets early in the day and came back about 50 min before show time... there was already a line but by the time they let us in the theater, the line was wrapped around the place.. they showed it in 7 theaters.. every 1/2 hour and still, the lines were amazingly long. The food court was jam packed and the entire mall was bustling.
    Actually mall management at General Growth properties has told me, that the movie theater has actually hurt sales in the mall since it was built. They have a tough time getting any upscale national retailers to locate there. Upscale retailers don't want to locate at a mall that's known for its "teen problem." Shop-lifting at the mall has actually increased since the theater was built, per mall management.

Seems like management at Quail Springs has been trying to attract families with its stores. So I guess that's the route they're going. That might actually be a good move since Spring Creek Plaza, Spring Creek Village, and possibly a new mall in Edmond, would still the higher Edmond dollars away from the mall.

Patrick Guest

Unfortunately, I think Crossroads Mall has already started a trend downward, and I think it's going to be too hard to revive the mall. A new type of retail won't do well there IMO because of the demographics of the surrounding area. Most outdoors type centers don't attract people in the same radius that malls do. For example, Spring Creek is mostly supported by Edmond. But, Penn Square and Quail Springs draw from all over.

On another note, the large parking lot that Crossroads sits on might make a nice lot for a commuter rail line serving the Moore/Norman area. People can park at the mall, and ride commuter rail into downtown, the capitol area, and the OUHSC.

What about the demographics of the surrounding area? Is this another thread that's going to turn into a north vs south thing? Yeah, Crossroads doesn't attract the nicest element of people at this time. That doesn't mean that a completely revamped mall would attract the same people, and it certainly isn't a comment on the surrounding area. Unless, that is, you define "surrounding area" as the mall parking lot.

19. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

I would think the increase of shoplifting might be in direct correlation with the increased number of visitors brought in by the movie theater .... percentage wise. Usually, when most of the teens are there in the evenings for the movies, the stores are all closed.

I shop there all the time..a few times a week. I haven't encountered any 'teen' problems .. in fact, my teen contributes quite a bit to Hot Topic! lol..
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I do not need to post an article. It is your choice if you believe the truth. You have chosen against it.
    Rather, I think the choice was to believe you or believe the truth as represented by actual facts. It's either/or, not both.

I have the perfect tenant for Crossroads Mall.

The Family Wreck-reation Center

That's right for as little as $50 per family you can enjoy the entertaining sport of operating wrecking machines.

Your kids will love the...

Dad will love the wrecking crane.

Mom will love the excavator jack hammer.

Even Grandma and Grampa can relive old memories with our instant implosion machine.

Act now and join the fun today because next week when the dump trucks arrive.....

Family Wreck-reation Center will be HISTORY!!

22. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

I recall the time I worked at a jewelry store at Quail Springs Mall. A lot of store managers wished AMC 24 wasn't built thanks to increased problems with teens. Another issue at hand was and still is... Tilt Arcade. It needs to be closed. Honestly, arcades have outlived their usefulness, and were best in a time when barely any households owned a game console. Teens quickly burn through money at today's arcades, and when they do go broke, what else is there to do but cause trouble. Granted, not all teens are trouble makers. Some are good kids. But those that are there to cause issues results in a costly burden for mall security. Those that do not drive to the mall get bored until their parents pick them up.

I remember having to constantly kick teens out of the kids' play area in front of our store for climbing all over the toys with little children still playing. In some cases, security had to be called.

In any case, Crossroads Mall is at a point of no return. Unless some ambitious developer has some irresistible plans for the property, the mall is as good as dead. The money is returning to Oklahoma City from the suburbs, but not in all areas. And certainly not at Crossroads.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Keith Guest

My daughter and I went to Crossroads three weeks ago so that I could get some new glasses from Lenscrafters. While we waited, we decided to take a stroll through the mall. This was about 5 PM on a weekday evening, and the mall was like a ghost town. There was hardly anyone there.

The employees at many of the shops we passed were either reading magazines, talking on their cell phones, or just staring outside their stores. We decided to eat at Chick-Fil-A, and there was no line at all.

My daughter, who is 14, informed me that she hadn't been to Crossroads to shop in at least a year or so. The only reason she has come to Crossroads lately, was to eat at Chick-Fil-A....and that was only because my son worked there. She told me that Penn Square is where lots of teens go now to shop. She said that parents of her friends refuse to drop them off at Crossroads.

I believe it is just a matter of time before the place shuts down and turns in to something else. I can guarantee you that the merchants at Crossroads are not making any money.......no customers=no profit.

24. Default Re: J.C. Penney to leave Crossroads Mall

Go there at noon on a weekday and it's pretty hoppin'. Not a bad crowd either. Older folks, lots of mall-walkers too.

It's the closest mall to my house (I live east of Moore), so I shop there when I have to.

Thank you for finally admitting you were mistaken...Little different wording for an admission but we will take what we can get on here

As for Crossroads...Just don't see them spending a lot of money to revamp the mall to try and revive it in that area...Penn Square pulls from all over OKC and Edmond...Moore and Norman folks use Sooner and NW shop at Quail...That doesn't leave much of a base for Crossroads to pull from

Still very convenient for many, but all of us that are married know convenience isn't very important...They will happily drive for an hour to get to those $150 shoes

Thread Information